DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 08-16-2016, 03:36 PM

Default What snare should I take to my gig?

Having spent most of my drumming life as a band/group member and doing the occasional studio gig, I am being forced to develop my hired gun street smarts now in my middle age. Please, bear with me and my insecurities. This may sound (and could very well BE) stupid, but this is quite new to me. Thanks in advance!

I have a gig in two weeks time subbing with a band who will be playing material from their two recordings.

The first one is their full length album. The recording was done a couple of years back. The drummer was a young lion who had a very aggressive, in-your-face style and sound. The drum sound reminds me of a number of old grunge records (think Pearl Jam, AIC, Live, Collective Soul), especially b/c of the tight, cranked up snare sound.

The second recording is a four song EP, all done by yours truly. Me - I'll never be a star, so I have nothing to prove. I tried to do right by the music (as well as to the current day and age), so both the style and the sound are considerably mellower. On most songs, I went for that low tuned, syrupy sound that is so popular nowadays. The playing was very simple and straightforward. The band and I agreed that it worked quite well.

I used an assortment of Ludwigs on three of the songs; on two (2) out of the four (4) songs, I was using a 6.5. Using that argument, I'd just grab my 6.5 Supra and call it a day. However, I'm not sure a cranked "Bonham" sound will work for the older half of the set.

I have a few snares, so I have options. I just wanted to pick your brains on this. Thanks!
Old 08-16-2016, 03:52 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: What snare should I take to my gig?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filacterua View Post
Having spent most of my drumming life as a band/group member and doing the occasional studio gig, I am being forced to develop my hired gun street smarts now in my middle age. Please, bear with me and my insecurities. This may sound (and could very well BE) stupid, but this is quite new to me. Thanks in advance!

I have a gig in two weeks time subbing with a band who will be playing material from their two recordings.

The first one is their full length album. The recording was done a couple of years back. The drummer was a young lion who had a very aggressive, in-your-face style and sound. The drum sound reminds me of a number of old grunge records (think Pearl Jam, AIC, Live, Collective Soul), especially b/c of the tight, cranked up snare sound.

The second recording is a four song EP, all done by yours truly. Me - I'll never be a star, so I have nothing to prove. I tried to do right by the music (as well as to the current day and age), so both the style and the sound are considerably mellower. On most songs, I went for that low tuned, syrupy sound that is so popular nowadays. The playing was very simple and straightforward. The band and I agreed that it worked quite well.

I used an assortment of Ludwigs on three of the songs; on two (2) out of the four (4) songs, I was using a 6.5. Using that argument, I'd just grab my 6.5 Supra and call it a day. However, I'm not sure a cranked "Bonham" sound will work for the older half of the set.

I have a few snares, so I have options. I just wanted to pick your brains on this. Thanks!
I have been in this situation many times before, and my answer is to play with your own sound. I do on occasion tune my snare differently for different sounds, but that is dictated by what I feel and hear in each song - and that's not always what was on the original recording. Just make your drums sound great and you'll be fine.

A 6.5" Supra is always appropriate.
Old 08-16-2016, 05:22 PM
Platinum Member

I'd chose the drum and tuning based on what is going to sound best in the live environment you're playing the gig in. Which in most circumstances is probably going to lean towards a higher pitch.

I wouldn't necessarily worry too much about trying to copy the sound from either recording; a lot of those nuances tend to get lost when playing live anyway.

I'd bring a couple drums, tuned differently, to your next practice and try them out to help find a happy medium between the sounds you're trying to reconcile from the different recordings.

Or, like you said, just being the Supraphonic (and a drum key) with you to the gig.
Old 08-16-2016, 05:29 PM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

Supra works best for a wide variety of sounds. It's sort of average, which means it's always appropriate and won't stick out as being wrong (such as using a piccolo snare for a '70s ballad, or an 8x14" for Hip-Hop.) Just tune it a bit above medium, and you can cover a lot of territory.

Remember also that you're not going to get a live acoustic snare to sound like a recording. Ever. Period. Not even your own Supra will sound like its recording.

Bermuda

PS - I have an upcoming column in DRUM! about why drums don't sound like recordings.
Old 08-16-2016, 07:32 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermuda View Post
Remember also that you're not going to get a live acoustic snare to sound like a recording. Ever. Period. Not even your own Supra will sound like its recording.
PS - I have an upcoming column in DRUM! about why drums don't sound like recordings.
Very true.
Oh boy, I love the idea and subject matter of your column !!!!

Old 08-16-2016, 07:39 PM
Platinum Member

Filacterua:

You should crank up that Supra for a nice loud crack.
Then when you need a more mellower sound lay one or two pieces of printer paper on your snare. Or use a thin drum head cutout.
It is a very quick way of changing your snare sound.

Old 08-16-2016, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Jim View Post
Filacterua:

You should crank up that Supra for a nice loud crack.
Then when you need a more mellower sound lay one or two pieces of printer paper on your snare. Or use a thin drum head cutout.
It is a very quick way of changing your snare sound.

Hmmmm....

I DO happen to have a BFSD pad in my bag of tricks. I'll pack it and bring it along.

BTW - thanks to all for taking the time to read and comment. I appreciate it!

http://bigfatsnaredrum.com/
Old 08-16-2016, 08:25 PM
Platinum Member

I agree with the Supra! Can't go wrong there.

On a side note:
Bermuda, when does that article come out? I would very much like to read it.

Thanks!
Old 08-16-2016, 08:57 PM
Matt Bo Eder

Whatever you choose, bring an extra one. If anything breaks, you'll need a spare.
Old 08-17-2016, 12:58 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston_Wolf View Post
I'd chose the drum and tuning based on what is going to sound best in the live environment you're playing the gig in...
This. If I'm playing a smallish room with wonky acoustics, there's no way I'm bringing my 6.5 brass snare, no matter how good it sounds. I might go with the Acro instead. Playing a bigger room with great acoustics? Bring the big dog out to play...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Bo Eder View Post
Whatever you choose, bring an extra one. If anything breaks, you'll need a spare.
True. I take two snares to every gig. I have one tuned up high, but I only use it on two songs So, rather than bringing an extra stand for a side snare, I simply swap out drums for those two songs, AND, if I ever have aproblem with my primary snare, I've got this extra snare sitting next to me for backup.
Old 08-18-2016, 03:40 AM
Silver Member

Yikes an extra snare? I bring a few extra snare heads.. but I've never had to replace one on a gig let alone an actual snare.. and that's over 30 years of gigging. I just don't have the energy to any carry extra gear - I already lug a pile of stuff... and if a snare ever broke I can change the head in around 3-4 minutes.

As far as snares go.. I just go for what sounds good. I use a 13x 6.5" deep fiberglass for most gigs.. sometimes maple. I used to use a COB but like the warmth and crack of wood or a dynamic fiberglass drum better.

The low tuning can sometimes sound great on recordings, but can also sound like mush live (depends on the snare and how you hit it and how it's mic'd etc.) .. but I prefer a med-high tuning; that sweet spot that has some body and warmth - but also has some crack and crispness that cuts through the sound.