PDP BOOMSTANDS ANY GOOD?

Lewis75

Hi,
Pdp boomstands (CB 900) caught my eye, ..they look very strong and reliable.

Are they good?

Chrome job, weight, smoothness..who can give me a fully detailed story with Pro's & Con's on the PDP CB 900 boomstands?

Is PDP connected with DW?

Their 5000 series look a lot like the PDP CB 900...

Hope you can help me out.

Thanks

Hi,

Are they good?

Chrome job, weight, smoothness..who can give me a fully detailed story with Pro's & Con's on the PDP CB 900 boomstands?

Thanks

I bought these stands a while ago, I still have them. They are very good, but for $10 less you can get two stands of the same quality IMO

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/drum...le-boom-cymbal-stands--2-pack/580304000000000

Hi,

Are they good?

Thanks

PDP is DW's "value" line. Most manufacturers simply have a entry-level, mid-level, and pro-level series of drums and/or hardware. For some reason DW thought that having a value line would tarnish their reputation (but they wanted a piece of that HUGE pie), so they quietly started up the Pacific Drums (now PDP) line of drums and hardware a few years ago.

PDP is definitely a solid value, I use one of their "Woody" snares as my main snare. Haven't used the hardware, but from messing with it at the music store, it looks like decent hardware at a decent price.

The PDP CB900 looks like standard "mid-level" gear (double-braced, memory locks, etc...), and is probably a good value.

I jumped back into the scene about 2 years ago, after a 25 year break. I needed a complete set with gear, sticks and cymbals.

The GC guy recommended the PDP FS Birch kit, and it came with cymbals and 800 series hardware. However, they loaded me up with the 900 series and of course, I didn't stop them.

The PDP 900's are pretty solid, heavy duty. The boom stands are cool because you can slide the arm into the tube for a straight stand. The memory locks are a great feature and IMO, an excellent feature. I'm not sure how they compare to the DW 5000's. I still think the DW 5000 series is a bit more heavy duty, reliable.

Now, I don't gig with my PDP hardware, and I've picked up all DW Drums and 9000 series gear as a studio set. The hardware is kinda similar, but the experienced eye can tell the differences between the DW 5000 gear.

If you gig often, I have heard that the screws, clamps and bushings can break in shorter time on the PDP gear. I still have a few stands, as I do like them.

I have two PDP 900 stands, the SP stands mentioned earlier pales in comparison to the 900 series but is a match to the 800 series but those SP's are a really great deal for 60 bucks! The 900 is a three tier super heavy duty, memory locks and as stated earlier it can be used as a straight stand as well, I have had two Cymbals 18" crash and 14" china, 6x10 maple snare and my hi hat stand anchored to it and it held up just fine. I have had no problems with it or any other of my PDP hard wear.
I think most of this lower end hard wear ( Gibraltar, SP, PDP and others) is made in the same factory with different names put on them.

I have two PDP 900 stands, the SP stands mentioned earlier pales in comparison to the 900 series but is a match to the 800 series but those SP's are a really great deal for 60 bucks! The 900 is a three tier super heavy duty, memory locks and as stated earlier it can be used as a straight stand as well, I have had two Cymbals 18" crash and 14" china, 6x10 maple snare and my hi hat stand anchored to it and it held up just fine. I have had no problems with it or any other of my PDP hard wear.
I think most of this lower end hard wear ( Gibraltar, SP, PDP and others) is made in the same factory with different names put on them.

What do you mean by 'Lower-end hardware' ?

It's no less than Tama , Pearl, Yamaha, right?

So what do you mean by lower -end?

Gibraltar 9000 hardware is top notch!

I mean like the PDP 700 vs the PDP 900, Gibraltar's entry level hard wear vs. their top notch stuff, (hence lower end) I can't believe how far Gibraltar has come. I have a SP boom arm and a Gibraltar and there is no difference besides the name and both hold up just fine.

I mean like the PDP 700 vs the PDP 900, Gibraltar's entry level hard wear vs. their top notch stuff, (hence lower end) I can't believe how far Gibraltar has come. I have a SP boom arm and a Gibraltar and there is no difference besides the name and both hold up just fine.

Ok thanks, sorry ...

I misunderstood you there...

So the Pdp CB 900 is a pretty good boomstand?

If you had to choose between a Gibraltar 9609 BT & and a PDP CB900 , what would be your pick?

Thanks

The PDP 900 series is real good, I only went with PDP because I was under the illusion that I would keep everything PDP since that what my kit was, HA! now that I have a little bit of everything and I picked op an older Gibraltar snare stand with the ball adjust its pretty sweet, and heavy duty as hell. I don't think you could go wrong with either but the Gibraltar would seem easier to adjust.

Good luck!

The PDP 900 series is real good, I only went with PDP because I was under the illusion that I would keep everything PDP since that what my kit was, HA! now that I have a little bit of everything and I picked op an older Gibraltar snare stand with the ball adjust its pretty sweet, and heavy duty as hell. I don't think you could go wrong with either but the Gibraltar would seem easier to adjust.

Good luck!

Ok thanks a lot!

But the Pdp 900 boom looks way heavier and more solid than the Gibraltar 9000 series.

Or is the difference between the two in bulk or mass very little?

I've never seen the two together..but to me the PDP looks way stronger, and more heavy duty comparred with the gibraltar..

Or is it just me?

Ok thanks a lot!

But the Pdp 900 boom looks way heavier and more solid than the Gibraltar 9000 series.

Or is the difference between the two in bulk or mass very little?

I've never seen the two together..but to me the PDP looks way stronger, and more heavy duty comparred with the gibraltar..

Or is it just me?

It does look stronger and cheaper, Adjusting cymbals with the PDP is not that hard. I have never seen on of those Gibraltar stands in person so I could not say for sure, but I can definitely vouch for the PDP 900.

It does look stronger and cheaper, Adjusting cymbals with the PDP is not that hard. I have never seen on of those Gibraltar stands in person so I could not say for sure, but I can definitely vouch for the PDP 900.

Cheaper?

What do you mean?

When it comes to boomstands, I've found that the $40 Sound Percussion stand works just as well as the DW or Tama brands. This is probably the only instance, but nonetheless...

Less expensive than the Gibraltar
Sorry again..I thought you meant..

"they look stronger and look cheaper"

Ok ..to cut it short...

PDP CB 9000 series is actually a pretty good Boomstand?

If thats the case , i'm sold.

Man they look really solid.

And you're right, they are cheaper than the Gibraltar.

Back