New high quality drum sticks for an intermedian

Chaoshon

Hi. I've been playing for a bit more than a year and my sticks are worn. I'd like to buy new sticks and need some advice.

First of, I use Silverfox' sticks size 5A. I like them because of their good grip and solidity.

I play all kind of genders, from heavy metal to Brazilian music to jazz.

I'm looking for a high quality stick without a particular price limit with a nylon tip. My stick has a wooden tip, but having researched a bit I believe that nylon is better.

The most important thing in the stick is that it should be grippy and not full of 'additives' that make it slippery to make it look nicer.

Any suggestions?

Sticks are like shoes. You've gotta try 'em out and see what fits. Wander into a store and try many pairs. You already like the feel of a 5A so start there. There are hundreds mate and you're the only one that can determine what feels best.

Pro-Mark has the "best" most basic assortment and you can just add and remove features by changing one letter in the name. Looks like you want hickory, nylon tip, natural finish.
Im sure that every brand has this type of stick but alot naming is just so cryptic.

Promark has a large assortment, but Vater came out with a Nude series, which are also very good. They aren't slippery at all.

Take a hold of the Regal Tip sticks. They have a unique finish that "sticks" to your hands (at least mine). A few have say if your hands sweat a lot, than they could be slippery. But if that's the case, most anything will slip out.

They have them in nylon as well, and also a nylon tip that has cut channels in it so the attack is closer to a wooden tip.

Best bet, get your hands on different brands in the store.

The problem with pro mark is that they don't have '5A', but rather S M L etc'.. So how do I know that the stick is actually the right size?

Vic firth are my favorite sticks, they are pitch paired and weight matched, their nylon tips are 100% guaranteed not to come off and they dont varnish them so they wont become slippery with sweat or leave varnish marks on your cymbals that can be a bitch to clean off.

I suggest that every drummer consider 2 sicks sizes as a place to start. when I play on a practice pad, I use a little heavier stick that for normal playing. I use a Vic Firth hickory 2B for general practice. The stick helps develop control, and muscle for playing strength and endurance. For actual performance, I switch to a Vic Firth SD1 as a general stick. Your choice of playing stick may vary according to playing style. It is easier to use a slightly heavier stick and "hold it down" a bit with control, than to try to force play with too light of a stick and play with less control. Finness is a sign of a good drummer!

Back