What snare for a funky jazzy hip hop sound?

augysteen

I'm lookin to buy a new snare. I've been drummin for awhile with a beginner kit and I'm ready to move up but just don't really know my sh*t when it comes to brands and stuff like snare dimensions for the sound I'm lookin for. what type of snare would you experts recommend for a funky jazzy hip hop sound? i like allot of drags ghost notes and chatter. price is no thing. but if i could find one for 200 that sounds just like a600 $ one thad be cool. also should i build a drum set piece by piece or just spring for a nice set?thx

Last edited by a moderator:
Ludwig Acrolite, save the $100.
Build piece by piece, think of all those orphan drums you can save!

augysteen;1098695what type of snare would you experts recommend for a funky jazzy hip hop sound? i like allot of drags ghost notes and chatter. [/QUOTE said:
Based on these goals, I'd suggest a 13" drum, not too shallow -- maybe a 6" depth. that would give you the ability to crank it up and get a very tight aggressive "pop" but still have the option of tuning down for a fuller-sounding snare with lots of power when you call on it. The right edges and beds will give you the sensitivity for the ghostnotes.

I've done this configuration -- 6 or 6.5 x 13 -- using steambent bubinga shells, and the drums are monsters. Extremely versatile, great rimshots, nice and loud, real headturners for sound. I have one of my own that's one of my three "desert island" snares. The effect of the very hard wood is dramatic -- much more vocal tone and aggressive attack than, for example, maple.

Will you find a $200 drum that sounds like a $600 drum? No. The differences are in the materials and the edges/beds. (The cosmetic differences, if any, are irrelevant.) And, sorry, a 14" aluminum drum is just not going to get you where you want to go, even though it might be a nice drum. :)

Based on these goals, I'd suggest a 13" drum, not too shallow -- maybe a 6" depth. that would give you the ability to crank it up and get a very tight aggressive "pop" but still have the option of tuning down for a fuller-sounding snare with lots of power when you call on it. The right edges and beds will give you the sensitivity for the ghostnotes.

I've done this configuration -- 6 or 6.5 x 13 -- using steambent bubinga shells, and the drums are monsters. Extremely versatile, great rimshots, nice and loud, real headturners for sound. I have one of my own that's one of my three "desert island" snares. The effect of the very hard wood is dramatic -- much more vocal tone and aggressive attack than, for example, maple.

Will you find a $200 drum that sounds like a $600 drum? No. The differences are in the materials and the edges/beds. (The cosmetic differences, if any, are irrelevant.) And, sorry, a 14" aluminum drum is just not going to get you where you want to go, even though it might be a nice drum. :)
Great advice from a great builder!

I second the 6.5x13 idea. I got two of them and love them. They can crank high, and tune down low with alot of body. Definitely versatile. What you're describing gives em the impression you want a nice high pop sound, and that size 13 will give it to you.

But, if you don't really know if you'll always be playing that type of sound, sometimes it's good to just have a collection of drums. Definitely get 13" and 14" drums, and if you, get a wood one and a metal one of each. Then you can say you're trying to cover all the bases people may want covered ;)

"Funky" conjurers up different things to different folks. Some may think of the very tight gospel "church" kind of sound. And others may think of a deeper wetter Zigaboo New Orleans kind of thing. The OP said they like lots of ghost notes and drags, which makes me think of the looser sound. In which case (if the gigs aren't too loud) an Acrolite would work just fine. The Acrolite just won't do the "church" thing. I know a guy with a 6 1/2 x 14 solid Craviatto tuned fairly low that does all kinds of funk with it. Not loud, but he can get a nice beefy crack out of a rimshot and go straight to wet drags underneath the backbeat anytime he wants. I've played this drum and it's a lot of fun.

What I would be careful of are ringy metal snares. Steel or thin brass that have a lot of shell overtones. Unless you're going for that higher poppy sound. I'm selling my PorkPie BOB for this reason. It will do loud, and it will do high, tight and ringy. But it isn't as versatile as my other snares. I do have on my list a deep wood 13 for high and tight with body. I have even tuned my maple 5 1/2 x 12 DW down and gotten some body out of it, but it is my current high a poppy side snare.

thx again for all the feedback. could i get some recommended brand specific snares from y'all.the acrolites i found are metal. i like the idea that one builder dude gave bout bobinga¿somethin wood vs maple. I'm headed in that direction. the dessert island snare he mentioned tho.couldn't find em.actually allot of the ones you guys had mentioned seem to be collectors hard to find pieces.what could i get at Sam ash, guitar center?

When I first read your OP my first thought was a 13 x 6.5 yamaha musashi. 13 gives you the pop and 6.5 gives you the beef. This is a great drum for the price ~200, upgrade the rims and throw-off in the future and it compares to any ply shell.

i like the idea that one builder dude gave bout bobinga¿somethin wood vs maple. I'm headed in that direction. the
what could i get at Sam ash, guitar center?
I doubt you'd ever see a Carolina Drumworks snare in those stores. Contact them direct. Yes, it's going to cost a bit more, but the quality is absolutely worth it if you can manage the price.

Back