Other uses for drum gear/parts

I was going to post this in the Drum Gear forum, but then realised that I couldn't pinhole it into a specific category.

I had some stock heads that I wasn't using, and had a blank wall so...

tumblr_lhla53R1bT1qccbhuo1_500.jpg

Anyone else done anything arty/creative with anything drum-related that they're not using? Or found any other uses for them for that matter?

Hey that's a great idea man! I have a few heads I'm not using too. What did you do, just hang them on a nail or something?

I was kinda expecting drum heads = car hubcaps / frisbees....

Used drum heads are good to put under household plants, because they catch excess water, and prevent water leaking out and staining furniture, etc.

On my wedding day, we were set up outside, and a bit of wind picked up, and we were afraid our arch way was going to topple over in the wind. So I used several drum multiple clamps to weight it down. I just attached to the clamps to the bottom of the arch as if it were a cymbal arm.

Need something tall to hold a light when doing a photo/video shoot? A cymbal boom stand works great.

Drum gear is so versatile. I have extra stands around for use in the studio as baffle holders, extra mic stands (with clamps), etc. I've used the "cymbal stand as a light stand" idea before, too, when a construction project outside my house went into the evening.

I'm waiting to hear peoples' stories about decorating the garden with bass drum hoops, or using bass drum beaters to get that stubborn lid off the pickle jar...

Used drum heads are good to put under household plants, because they catch excess water, and prevent water leaking out and staining furniture, etc.

On my wedding day, we were set up outside, and a bit of wind picked up, and we were afraid our arch way was going to topple over in the wind. So I used several drum multiple clamps to weight it down. I just attached to the clamps to the bottom of the arch as if it were a cymbal arm.

Need something tall to hold a light when doing a photo/video shoot? A cymbal boom stand works great.

Along the lines of potted plants, I've heard you can use old drumsticks as stakes to help your plants grow straight.

Drum gear is so versatile. I have extra stands around for use in the studio as baffle holders, extra mic stands (with clamps), etc. I've used the "cymbal stand as a light stand" idea before, too, when a construction project outside my house went into the evening.

I'm waiting to hear peoples' stories about decorating the garden with bass drum hoops, or using bass drum beaters to get that stubborn lid off the pickle jar...

The real question is this.

Why don't those damn manufacturers make their mic stands more like drum stands?! I don't want to have to be either worrying that the AKG C414 pair I've just borrowed is going to drop on the floor because the boom won't stay upright, or alternatively have to use a choir stand that weighs about 30 pounds and stands a minimum of six feet high!

Once I used a cymbal stand as a professional photo camera tripod/stand. It's super steady and it offers a million possibilities that a regular camera tripod doesn't.

The screw is the same on the stand and the camera (at least a Mapex stand and a Canon EOS Rebel camera).

Works like a charm to get perfect non-shaky pics. Or maybe if you wanna photograph yourself using the timer too. :)

Cheers.

The real question is this.

Why don't those damn manufacturers make their mic stands more like drum stands?! I don't want to have to be either worrying that the AKG C414 pair I've just borrowed is going to drop on the floor because the boom won't stay upright, or alternatively have to use a choir stand that weighs about 30 pounds and stands a minimum of six feet high!

Yeah, right? I wish that there were more options out there as far as mic stands go...toothed tilters, disappearing booms, etc. When I use my cymbal stands as additional mic stands, I use a multi-clamp (clamps one pipe to another), and simply put the mic clip in the spot where the second pipe would be clamped into...don't need to worry about getting a section of pipe with threading on it or anything. Also, I'm tired of boom stands always drooping no matter how hard you tighten them. I'd like the stand to do the work it's intended for, rather than have to find inventive ways to position it so that it DOES work. okay, okay... [/rant]

Once I used a cymbal stand as a professional photo camera tripod/stand. It's super steady and it offers a million possibilities that a regular camera tripod doesn't.

The screw is the same on the stand and the camera (at least a Mapex stand and a Canon EOS Rebel camera).

Works like a charm to get perfect non-shaky pics. Or maybe if you wanna photograph yourself using the timer too. :)

Cheers.

I've done that too. I also used a snare stand once; just tightened the basket around the camera.

This guy used a Pearl rack to build a desk, complete with cymbal boom lights and tom arms monitor stands:
http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/showthread.php?152592-Drumdesk-Version-2-is-alive!

I had an old snare that was collecting dust when I got a new bedroom piece. It is a high standing, thin tv stand where the TV stands on top and there are shelves inside with glass doors. I put my xbox on one shelf, games on the other, school books on top, but I had one space left. Guess what went there? I refinished the snare and threw that bad boy in there. It looks great.

I used a couple of old Remo cymbal stands for the 10" speakers that came with my PA system. Works Great!

I took a 14" cymbal I have had since high school,(Ludwig Stanople) and made it into a wall clock.
Got the clock kit at Walmart and it hangs on my music room wall.

A mic stand with a boom is good for launching bottle rockets. Peace and goodwill.

My drum teacher uses a cymbal stand to hold clipboards with our practice material on it. It's a lot more adjustable than a music stand and sits out of the way.

Hey that's a great idea man! I have a few heads I'm not using too. What did you do, just hang them on a nail or something?

There were hooks already on the wall, and luckily the inside rim of both heads is the ideal size to just sit nicely on them.

Naigewron said:
This guy used a Pearl rack to build a desk, complete with cymbal boom lights and tom arms monitor stands:
http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/sh...ion-2-is-alive!

That's awesome! I want one!

currently my bass drum case is my coffee table in one room, some floor tom legs from my old no name walmart kit were used as ground anchors for a tent, and i was forced to use a cymbal stand as a pseudo-ice pick once, drums are for everything ;)

Back