DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Technique

Drum Technique Tips - Tricks - Practice - Rudiments - Educational DVDs & Books.....

Old 06-25-2018, 05:55 AM
Gold Member

Default Re: Check my logic and correct me if necessary.

Dibalo layed out a nice framework, and Jeff gave a good practical example of the two working together/against one and other. Still waiting to set those heads btw. I can't thank you enough. We've had heavy rain around here along with our normal 100+ temps and high humidity.

Last edited by ineedaclutch; 06-25-2018 at 06:15 AM.
Old 06-25-2018, 07:33 AM
Platinum Member

It makes mathematical sense, but it has nothing to do with how music is actually played. 125% of 4/4? I don't know what to do with that.

The fraction thing is really incidental to the system-- it doesn't matter. Like the rhythmic value names whole, half, quarter, mean "this note lasts a whole/half/quarter/etc of a measure of common time", but nobody actually thinks in fractional terms when reading and playing music. "Whoops, here's a measure of 5/4, gonna have to go 25% longer there"... it don't work that way.

Going back to the original question:

Quote:
I always had a hard time understanding the differences between say 7/8 and 7/4. Or 9/8 and 9/4. Or 3/8 and 3/4.
A time signature just tells you how much of what rhythm fits into one measure of music. 3/4 means one measure has room for three quarter notes, 7/8 means one measure has room for seven 8th notes, etc. So the difference between 7/8 and 7/4 is that the first one has room for seven 8th notes in a measure, and the second one has room for seven quarter notes. That's all. The rest of your question, about one being half or double time of the other is wrong-- you're over complicating it.

The way of understanding all of this is practical application. One good thing about band class is that you count your way through a lot of music, and you know right away what all the time signatures mean because you have a conductor waving a stick at you to show you what they mean. Not having access to that, get a snare drum book with some different meters in it and play through it-- like Mitchell Peters's Intermediate Snare Drum Studies or Louis Bellson's Odd Time Reading Text.

Last thing: Dibalo's answers are also misleading because: not only do time signatures tell you what fits in a measure, they also tell you how they are likely to be interpreted. If you think of 9/8 as "4/4 plus an 8th note" you'll have no idea what's going on. 9/8 is usually played as a triplet feel*** in 3, sometimes it's played as groups of two and three 8th notes adding up to 9 per measure, it's never played as 4/4 plus an 8th note. Same with 15/8-- it's usually a triplet feel in 5, not "two measures of 4/4 minus an 8th note." Sorry, but that's a totally useless description of what it is.

*** - Before any lurking pedants point out that 9/8 is a compound meter, and therefore the subdivisions are not triplets-- that is correct. Compound meter 8th notes are not triplets. But they do have a triplet feel, and, for players with practical experience but not much theory knowledge, triplet feel is an easier term to grasp than compound meter 8th notes.

Last edited by toddbishop; 06-25-2018 at 03:05 PM.
Old 06-25-2018, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddbishop View Post
Time signatures tell you what fits in a measure, they also tell you how they are likely to be interpreted. If you think of 9/8 as "4/4 plus an 8th note" you'll have no idea what's going on. 9/8 is usually played as a triplet feel*** in 3, sometimes it's played as groups of two and three 8th notes adding up to 9 per measure, it's never played as 4/4 plus an 8th note.
Years ago I had to learn how to play Blue Rondo A La Turk in a hurry for a gig I was hired to do, and that tune really demonstrates the two concepts you mentioned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKNZqM0d-xo
Old 06-25-2018, 05:35 PM
beyondbetrayal
This message has been deleted by beyondbetrayal. Reason: accident