Drum Heads for an ELX Export?

szanski

Hey guys, I know there has been some fairly heavy criticism on the export kits, but I do believe they can sound quite nice with the right heads. I'm a bit of a novice and want to replace my heads from the original pearl crap they whack on at the start. Could I get some advice on which drum heads are suitable for my kit? Thanks.

i havnt tried remo apart from the snareside, but coated g2's on the tom's work wonders, emad on the bass for insane amounts of low end to make up for the 'higher tone quality' of exports. evans power centre on the snare, and remo ambassador snare side.... my kit sounds really badass with these heads and i havnt even changed the reso's yet so it would probably sound 10 times better with new reso's such as g1's under the g2's on the toms, bass well probably the emad resonant head but the stock reso is still good. ive got an elx too and with good heads and tuning they sound awesome.

I use Remo clear Pinstripes on the toms of my ElX kit: they give a really deep, fat sound that I just love. On the snare I use a Remo Coated Ambassador. Lovely.

I just hijacked a long thread about the PS3 head and it turns out I am going to be using PS4s next time I upgrade, because I have tried the PS3 and Pinstripes and pinstripes are extremely dampened and the PS3 is just a little to open yet not a bad head, so I think the PS4 will give the export a little more of the low end punch that I am looking for.
These are all remo by the way

Snare-
Batter: Remo Coated Ambassador
Snare Side (Reso): Remo Ambassador Hazy (Ambassador Snare Side)
With this combo on your snare, and right tuning, you can get just about any sound you want out of it and make it sound damn sweet. Wet, dry, fat, a crack, anything. And if you need muffling, you can just slap a Moongel or studio ring on it, as opposed to pre-muffled heads with dots and such where if it's too muffled, you can't do anything about it.

Bass-
Batter: Aquarian SuperKick series/ Evans EMAD
These two lines of bass batters usually get the most low end, fat sound with the least amount of added effort. The EMAD is a safer choice, with the muffling not permanently attached to the head. The SK series has its followers (like myself) that swear by it, so it's definitely a great set of heads. The only potential flaw being that the muffling is permanently attached to the head, so if you don't like the muffling, that's $50 wasted.
That being said, the EMAD would most likely be a better choice for you, with it's variety of options.
For these heads, the single ply versions are probably your best bets, as the 2 ply versions either work stupendously or sound stupendously like a dead cardboard box. They are more durable, however.

Back