ahead T.LEE sticks

Spectron

Silver Member
I got a pair of his Ahead "studio" sticks for Christmas from my lovely wife and a vic firth practice pad.

These sticks are heavy and have forward balance - meaning there seems to be more weight towards the tip which makes them feel very weird.

Freakin heavy - never felt a heavier pair of sticks
Good rebound and great for a workout on the 'ol practice pad,
but heavier than lead

I'm afraid to use them on my kit - they're are so devastatingly heavy
I would be worried about breaking a cymbal or putting the stick right through a head
It's literally like playing with 16" peices of rebarr...LOL

T.LEE sticks: break some Sh*t

I use them for the practice pad and keep them by my bedstand incase of an intruder:
whack someone or chuck one of these and the victim will get seriously hurt!

These aren't just drum sticks they're freakin weapons!

I've used Ahead sticks since they came out. I started out with 2Bs, then went to 5Bs, now I'm starting to use 7As...not because they're damaging, it's because my age is getting to me.

I still mostly use the 5Bs with ball tips. I've never broken anything that I would attribute to the sticks. I like them and think they reduce hand fatigue plus I don't have wood shavings to clean up.

If use put some grip tape on them the balance will even out more. I used the T.LEE's for a while, and I agree they are far too heavy for my comfort. The Grip Tape helped a lot.

I have since switched to Ahead's Hybrid 5AB model. It has the grip of a 5B and the taper of a 5A, the rebound is much closer to a wood stick too.

And I wouldn't worry about breaking anything (cymbals or heads).
The plastic cover over the stick protects your gear from the impact, and because plastic is softer than wood, it's better for your cymbals. I broke far more cymbals when I played wood sticks than when I used Ahead.

I LOVE these sticks! I've been using them for a long time. I'm used to the weight. I've never broken a cymbal with these. They last forever too. I admit I don't play professionally, just as a hobby. It's probably time to change out the sheaths. My only complaint is that they are a bitch to put back on.

Attachments

• Stix 008.JPG
    Stix 008.JPG
    321.6 KB · Views: 248
I LOVE these sticks! I've been using them for a long time. I'm used to the weight. I've never broken a cymbal with these. They last forever too. I admit I don't play professionally, just as a hobby. It's probably time to change out the sheaths. My only complaint is that they are a bitch to put back on.

what model is that ?

If use put some grip tape on them the balance will even out more. I used the T.LEE's for a while, and I agree they are far too heavy for my comfort. The Grip Tape helped a lot.

I have since switched to Ahead's Hybrid 5AB model. It has the grip of a 5B and the taper of a 5A, the rebound is much closer to a wood stick too.

And I wouldn't worry about breaking anything (cymbals or heads).
The plastic cover over the stick protects your gear from the impact, and because plastic is softer than wood, it's better for your cymbals. I broke far more cymbals when I played wood sticks than when I used Ahead.

i use the Ahead Studio Hybrid 5AB's and they are great. attaching new sheaths and tips was not hard at all, once i was reminded by forum members that i had to apply heat to loosen the sheath and apply a drop of crazy glue to keep the tips on.

the funny thing is that they lasted so long in original condition (9 months) that i'd forgotten that i was supposed to do that in order to apply new tips and sheaths.

have been going along fine now for 3 more months with no problems whatsoever. i highly recommend Ahead sticks (because <ahem> wood sticks is stupid in my humble opinion) although maybe the Tommy Lee model is not for you. maybe try some of the others

I put the new covers in the microwave for 10-15 seconds and they slide right on, no problem.

wow. the microwave idea scares me.

the instructions (that after nine months, i had forgotten i had in my drum drawer) suggested a hair dryer and that's what i used. worked like a charm.

although i must admit, i did not use crazy glue on the tips. i used a type of epoxy cement type of stuff that dad has that i knew would do the trick. it has. no problems.

i love my Ahead sticks. they are quite possibly my best drum related purchase. so much better than wooden sticks. they feel better and last longer and no wood chips all over every-freakin'-where. i will admit that i do put electrical tape on the butt end, but i'm considering a type of grip tape like tennis racquets have that was suggested to me here. since my re-doing of tips and sheath two months ago i did not re-apply electrical tape and have gone au natural.

wonderful sticks.

wonderful.

The Ahead brand grip tape is great, try it!

It really is! I hate Ahead sticks (too effin' heavy!) but I use Ahead tape on my VF 5AX sticks, and love how it helps my grip stay loose with the hard-hitting I'm doing these days.

I think the guys who invented the sicks bought the rights back from Easton a few years ago.
Not exactly sure, but I think they just pay easton to make the sticks now or something.

http://www.bigbangdist.com/take_the_test.html

"AHEAD drumsticks were introduced in 1992, developed by a drummer/engineer at Easton Sporting Company, makers of aluminum arrows, baseball bats, hockey sticks and more."

Couldn't find anything about selling off Ahead, not even on Easton's investor's website or prospectus.

Back