Jack DeJohnette

tajtonic

I'm pretty surprised there wasn't one for him yet. Shall we discuss?

I'm pretty surprised there wasn't one for him yet. Shall we discuss?

Another one of lifes great mysteries tajtonic.

I've followed his playing since he played with Miles,Bill Evans and when he played in Cosmic Chicken the group that featured him and Bob Moses on drums,still have the LP. From all his early ECM recordings to right up to the present this true original has always been on my radar.

Jack's one of the true jazz drum greats we still have the fortune of having with us.

i'm currently in love with his comping on chet baker's she was too good to me (not to mention gadd's playing on that album as well... best jazz recording of his in my opinion). jack's another example of a fantastic all-around musician.

An incredible drummer. I love Jacks playing on Michael Breckers' "Tales form the Hudson."

Don't forget Derek the very first studio project by Michael Brecker as a leader before that recording featuring Jack simply called "Michael Brecker". That whole album is a killer of musical compositions and great ensemble playing.

I started working a bit on his book, It is interesting seeing him transposed, he looks great on paper as he does sound. His ride groooves are like no other. He one of those cats that probably has a really interesting house with good books. You can almost hear his book collection in his music!
Has anyone else worked through his book?

I started working a bit on his book, It is interesting seeing him transposed, he looks great on paper as he does sound. His ride groooves are like no other. He one of those cats that probably has a really interesting house with good books. You can almost hear his book collection in his music!
Has anyone else worked through his book?

If it's the one i'm thinking of yes about 25 years ago and still have my copy put away for safe keeping. He was also giving instructional recordings to all takers at that time too in the mail available on cassette tapes. He showed you how to develop ideas from the ground up in a ensemble situation playing off various song forms in standards in a trio setting. He played the piano and bass also on the recordings too. Still have his letters and tape recordings from that time in my treasure vault so to speak.

I love his ride cymbal sounds. I was fortunate to find a jack dejonette signature 22'' ride from the 80's and early 90's i think. It's dark grey in color. An incredible ride. Very dry, great bell. It's a thick one though. Here's a picture of it.

Attachments

• DSC_0014.JPG
    DSC_0014.JPG
    84.4 KB · Views: 2,179
I've a concert in Copenhagen by them that was excellent. I was thinking about maybe getting that CD. They have a lot of the same tracks- pee wee, big nick, saudades, probably more too

on another note- I don't know what to think of his cymbals. They sound kind of one dimensional to me, but he certainly can make them sound good. I dunno-

Jack's one of the true jazz drum greats we still have the fortune of having with us.

Absolutely! Even after all of these years, Jack's playing continues to touch me and move me emotionally like no other. True catharsis, in the classical Greek sense, where one is transported to a new territory of life and never the same again.

On "My Foolish Heart," the latest offering from the trio with Jarrett and Peacock (actually recorded back in 2001) Jack delivers more amazing performances--they even do a few numbers in Ragtime style! Trio Beyond's tribute to Tony Williams that was mentioned (Saudades) is incredible as well--that one spent a lot of time in my car's CD player when I got it last Spring.

Steamer, you have some real treasures there in the form of letters and tapes from Jack!

spleen

Hi Guys. Happy New Year!

Jack is one of a most consistantly creative drummers I've incountered. I love his textures, very magical. Listen to 'to be Continued....' I love that track. Great groove, very dark.

If you want to see some great footage with Jack in, check out Miles Davis: Miles Electric: a different kind of blue DVD. Very cool.

Stay safe

Big T

Absolutely! Even after all of these years, Jack's playing continues to touch me and move me emotionally like no other. True catharsis, in the classical Greek sense, where one is transported to a new territory of life and never the same again.

On "My Foolish Heart," the latest offering from the trio with Jarrett and Peacock (actually recorded back in 2001) Jack delivers more amazing performances--they even do a few numbers in Ragtime style! Trio Beyond's tribute to Tony Williams that was mentioned (Saudades) is incredible as well--that one spent a lot of time in my car's CD player when I got it last Spring.

Steamer, you have some real treasures there in the form of letters and tapes from Jack!

spleen

Always striving to be creative and super musical in any group situation you throw him in has put Jack on the top of my list Spleen. You can easily identify Jack in a few bars no matter the group just like all the other true originals in the history of modern jazz drumming. Jack also has an amazing handle on the complete history of jazz drumming which he can pull out of his musical pocket to surprise people at any given time. Saw him do Baby Dodds at a concert once and it brought the whole house down!. The man knows the history of the instrument and the music.

And yes you better believe it on point two.

Anybody heard his playing on MIchael Brecker's "Pilgrimage". Esp on the title track, "Anagram" and "Tumbleweed".

Unbelievable player, so melodic.

On his drummerworld page, John Abercrombie says "Jack has a great beat. If you can find it..." Great quote!!

FYI--There is a wonderful interview with/article about Jack in the new Traps magazing (Jack is on the cover). Very well done and definitely worth checking out!

spleen

My all time favorite Jack De Johnette album's "Timeless", with John Abercrombie and Jan Hammer rounding out the trio. 1975. Jack had already proved himself to be a Jedi Master, and now he was just shredding because he could. Really off the hook stuff.

An extremely innovative drummer. I especially enjoy his earlier Fusion with Miles and New Directions.

I haven't seen his modern stuff where he makes use of his larger kit (and those tonal bells), but if it was anything like his earlier stuff, it's sure to be good.

FYI--There is a wonderful interview with/article about Jack in the new Traps magazing (Jack is on the cover). Very well done and definitely worth checking out!

spleen

x2 on that opinion; awesome magazine. If you're into behind the average mainstream drummers, this is the magazine for you!

Back