Ironwood drum set

Deathmetalconga

Platinum Member
Okay, it's taken two months to get it in more or less final form. This is from www.spiritdrums.com, drums made of solid-shell Cooktown ironwood from Australia.

All drums are square sizes, 8 10 12 and 14 inch toms, 18 inch bass drum, snare is 13 by 4. Cymbals are all Zildjian A Customs, 20 inch ping ride, 13 inch hats, 17 inch crash, 12 inch splash, 8 inch splash, 18 inch China.

Accessories include Pete Englehart agogo bells and foot-operated talking drum from www.b-radpercussion.com and LP plastic block foot pedal.

Hardware is mostly DW, Tama hi-hat stand with legs removed and custom fabricated cymbal stackers, bass drum cradle and foot percussion holder, Gauger aluminum RIMS mounts.

All heads are Remo Fiberskyn FAs batter and coated Ambassadors resonant. Bass drum head of Spirit Drums logo by www.drumart.com.

Sticks are wok chopsticks mostly, with Vic Firth brushes, Trilok Gurtu signatures, assorted mallets and plastic brushes and rutes.

Below are the three clips I have so far - the swing-type playing and a song we call James Bond in Matanzas. I was playing my left-foot clave rhythm and this keyboardist I play with started playing along. It's a rough first cut and we are going to refine it. Blue Veil is a song on the Hang Drum.

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=28720&d=1252687553

View attachment 20313

View attachment 20314

View attachment 20315

1skr.jpg

2skr.jpg

3skr.jpg

Last edited:
Truly awesome. I need to head up there and talk to the guys at SpiritDrums. Damn that Ironwood is dense! Could you imagine the sound if they offered free-floating on all of them?! Then again, that'd probably make them weigh a lot (I'd imagine that bass drum is already a cannon- sound and weight wise).

How do you find that talking drum in a musical sense? How often do you apply it?

Seriously, that has to be one of the best I've ever seen! It's positioned almost exactly how I would have it, too. I would have the ride so it's easily crashed, but that's about perfect!

Awesome set, you're very lucky. I like the bass head, too. I look forward to hearing it, but I could imagine it would sound a thousand-fold better in person. Can imagine it would've taken a fair bit of coin from you, too. Worth it, though! Those Fiberskyns look like they have a kickass tone, too. That warm, rounded tone with a slight buzz.

Why do square drums never look square? My 16" floor also looks taller than it is wide...

Congratulations!!!

That’s a great looking kit, and so many different sound options. I would love to have a go behind that kit!

Oh cool, its the Duallist, hows that working out for you?

haa looks like a great kit, especially love the seat and the outer bass head, howd you get that made?

sweet set, nice finish, creatively unlimited and...a dualist...

very nice though, we have to hear some noise from you soon : )

yeah, how do you like the dualist? i'm intrigued...

Spectacular!

That kit is reminiscent of the heavy shelled power-depth Sonors of the 80's. Very imposing look. I can only imagine the deep thunder of those drums.

There is a kind of a mystique there, because AFAIK, no one else makes Ironwood shells. You have a kit even more exculsive than a Brady.

The fiberskyn FA and percussion bits really add to a "Earth sounds*" personality for the kit.

The only thing I'd like to see if a pic that has more intense lower lighting. The wood has a cherry-like color.

Great stuff!

* Yes, I was digging the Terra Sonus Sound clips.

Deathmetalconga said:
Okay, it's taken two months to get it in more or less final form. This is from www.spiritdrums.com, drums made of solid-shell Cooktown ironwood from Australia. All drums are square sizes, 8 10 12 and 14 inch toms, 18 inch bass drum, snare is 13 by 4. Cymbals are all Zildjian A Customs, 20 inch ping ride, 13 inch hats, 17 inch crash, 12 inch splash, 8 inch splash, 18 inch China. Accessories include Pete Englehart agogo bells and foot-operated talking drum from www.b-radpercussion.com and LP plastic block foot pedal. Hardware is mostly DW, Tama hi-hat stand with legs removed and custom fabricated cymbal stackers, bass drum cradle and foot percussion holder. All heads are Remo Fiberskyn FAs batter and coated Ambassadors resonant. Sticks are wok chopsticks mostly, with Vic Firth brushes, Trilok Gurtu signatures, assorted mallets and plastic brushes and rutes.

I will start recording with this in the next few months. In the meantime, you can listen to songs with my old set at www.terrasonus.com

Spiritset1r.jpg

Spiritset2r.jpg

Spiritset3r.jpg

Spiritset4r.jpg

Cool Kit man. You just need to get rid of that Dualist and it;ll be perfect ;)

you have really shiny cymbals, do you clean them a lot?

I like the strat in the background too...

Tom B. said:
you have really shiny cymbals, do you clean them a lot?

I like the strat in the background too...

The cymbals are Zildjian A Customs, which are naturally shiny, and these are all either new or slightly used. I like them shiny so I wear cotton gloves during takedown and setup and use Mr. Metal to get rid of stick marks. I really like the 20-inch ping ride - plenty of definition and great spank from the bell.

The Strat is a "guest" instrument, along with a Shane bass and a rehabilitated sitar. Not hi-end instruments, but if someone comes by, I always have something for them to play! Plus, instruments are just beautiful things to display.

www.terrasonus.com

Quadruple Groove said:
Oh cool, its the Duallist, hows that working out for you?

haa looks like a great kit, especially love the seat and the outer bass head, howd you get that made?

Thanks. The seat stand is a Roc-N-Soc nitro. I took off the saddle style seat a month ago and swapped it with the round cushion from an old medical exam stool - smaller but softer than the Roc-N-Soc. I still use the leopard print seat cover I had a tailor make a long time ago.

As for The Duallist, I love it, but it's too controversial a piece of equipment to discuss here. People have heated opinions about it, especially if they have never played one. A freewheeling and enlightening Duallist discussion is at http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1063&highlight=dualist

The resonant head is from www.drumart.com and the design is the Spirit Drums logo. Drumart does amazing work, very beautiful and professional and they'll skillfully touch-up any low-quality art work you send them. The great to deal with and I'd recommend them to anyone looking for a custom head.

The only downside is they use Aquarian heads and I'm a Remo loyalist (shhh - don't tell anyone!). But the head does sound and look great.

Sweet! thank you very much for the honor of gazing upon such well kept drums and cymbals. cool and expensive drums!

your kit's absolutely awesome!

(It seems you're sitting a pretty extreme angle, pedal positioning-wise...)

GREAT stuff!

Back