A Surprising Revelation

M

Mediocrefunkybeat

I've recently acquired some old master tape copies through rather odd means. I just got them back home today and had a closer look. Turns out that the artists in question are actually all fairly well known! One is by a band called 'The KLF' who were big in the early 90's, one is by a band called 'Amazulu' who were a ska-revival band from the early 80's who were popular around the time and another is by Clarence 'Frogman' Henry - a rockabilly singer.

It's bizarre. Apparently the first one was actually a number one hit in the UK and this is a copy of the master from the DAT recording as far as I can understand. I have no equipment with which to play it back (1/4 inch, 15ips) but I'm thinking of getting into contact with the original engineers. Has anybody got any advice on how I should go about getting in touch with them?

That KLF one is probably worth the price of a decent kit to the right person. Ebay's the way to go on all three unless you're a devotee.

I emailed the editor of 'Sound on Sound' magazine to see if there's anything I should do that way.

If they are worth anything, I'll give them back to the lady who gave them to me because she needs the money more than me! I do like these finds.

I emailed the editor of 'Sound on Sound' magazine to see if there's anything I should do that way.

If they are worth anything, I'll give them back to the lady who gave them to me because she needs the money more than me! I do like these finds.

That's probably the best thing to do. Sounds pretty mint that it was a #1 hit. Haha i didn't expect you would have a 1/4" tape player anyway as i don't think many people tend to.

It's not the master, but a copy of the DAT. Still really damned cool though. The others aren't bad either.

It's funny, I nearly DID buy a 1/4 tape player a couple of years ago. One of the tapes is 30 ips, so finding a way of playing that will be funny. I'd imagine the University Library have something somewhere.

"3 A.M Eternal". Yeah, it's that one. Like I say, it's not the actual master but it's a damn cool thing to have.

Ah, killer track. It's the kind of instance where it's useful to have contacts in recording studios. Some of the London studios i've used tend to have back rooms filled to the hilter with old kit, or have engineers that have quietly built a collection at home.

I've recently acquired some old master tape copies through rather odd means.

Hate to be like cold water, yet for personal use that is fine yet if you sell or torrent it you could get in some deep legal problems. i have some masters here too for personal use only.

3AM is a great song, i remember DJ'ing with the 12-incher.

As for how to get in touch, look at the liner notes.

There's no liner notes on a reel-to-reel! Just the engineers' name, and that doesn't really help.

MFB:

is the engineer's name, Phil Bush? I seem to remember that KLF recorded at some studios in Manchester. If it is Phil (and he did tons of stuff around this time and a little earlier), drop me a PM and I will put you in touch wth him. If these are 1/4 inch copies of Dat tapes, I suspect that they are not really worth anything except to a fan. Now, back in the days when analog was the way to go, having the two inch master, now that would be a score! Still, pretty cool find!

Paul

Not Phil Bush, it's a guy called Julian Gordon-Hastings. Never a more English name ever.

I do have a tape engineered by Rod Houison. He's quite well known I believe. Any news on that one?

hey....

if you want to get in contact with the KLF start at the top

Bill Drummond.

email adim here and i'm sure he'll get in touch with you...

cool find, sounds like a copy for backup - i'd hold onto it - maybe not worth that much, but you never know what it'll be worth in 20 years or so...

great 'band' the klf

hey....

if you want to get in contact with the KLF start at the top

Bill Drummond.

email adim here and i'm sure he'll get in touch with you...

cool find, sounds like a copy for backup - i'd hold onto it - maybe not worth that much, but you never know what it'll be worth in 20 years or so...

great 'band' the klf

Hi all, I am a new member of forum. Would a newcomer be warmly welcome here? Good day you guys!!!

Back