Evans G plus heads

Larry

"Uncle Larry"
Hey all,

Has anyone here tried the new Evans G plus heads? They are single ply 12 mil heads, coated or clear of course. (Remo single ply heads are 10 mils) I was hoping one of the companies would do this, make a thicker single ply head, I always thought that it would be interesting to hear if the extra 2 mils added any noticeable bass frequencies. I'm probably going to try them anyway, but was curious about anyone's experience with them. Thanks.

A beautiful thing called the "Search" button is available to us on this forum. I would adivise using it; there are plenty of threads about this.

Actually, a search doesn't get you much on this topic.

I actually bought one on Monday--an 8" clear for use as a reso.

My kid's kit has 8-10-12-14f-16f toms with EC1 batters and G1 resos. The 8" is tuned a bit highish (a G) and doesn't have as much sustain as the others. I got the G-plus for a reso because thicker heads sustain longer than thinner heads (assuming the same number of plies). Sure enough, the 8" now sustains noticably longer, and much closer to the other toms.

The head sounds nice as a batter (I played on it that way), fewer high overtones and a bit thicker-denser sounding than a G1. But I only played an 8".

I believe Evans offers these with their frosty coating only, which I very much dislike. If they offered the G-plus with their regular "real" coating I might be all over these as batters--I like sustain.

I think I'm going to give theses heads a try. I've been using coated G2s over clear G1s. I have that combo on a DW and a Yamaha kit and like them a lot. This week I put the same combo on another DW kit and it killed the sound. Quite the contrast from my other DW kit.

Still scratching my head on this one.

I think I'm going to give theses heads a try. I've been using coated G2s over clear G1s. I have that combo on a DW and a Yamaha kit and like them a lot. This week I put the same combo on another DW kit and it killed the sound. Quite the contrast from my other DW kit.

Still scratching my head on this one.

It's not uncommon. Some drums just don't like 2-ply heads. They "kill" both my Slingys and my kid's ECX. That's why head recommendations from other guys with different drums are nearly worthless.

That said, you might try the Evans EC1s, which I like a lot. Same metal control ring as the EC2s, but they are 14mil single-plies. Very deep punchy sound with gobs of sustain, which you may or may not like.

It's not uncommon. Some drums just don't like 2-ply heads. They "kill" both my Slingys and my kid's ECX. That's why head recommendations from other guys with different drums are nearly worthless.

That said, you might try the Evans EC1s, which I like a lot. Same metal control ring as the EC2s, but they are 14mil single-plies. Very deep punchy sound with gobs of sustain, which you may or may not like.

Thanks.

I'm gonna cruise over to GC this morning. I have used EC1s before and liked them. I might go with the G plus. If they don't have them in stock I'll try the EC1s again. I think I have a clear 16 " EC1 around here. I'll throw that on and see what happens.

I'm using them(coated?) on my 80's Gretsch maple 12 and 16 inch toms. I've had G2's on them before and they sounded good. However I'm really enjoying the Evans G-pluses. If you play rock/pop/funk/blues these are excellent heads. If you are playing jazz I'd go thinner (I use Aquarian Satin Texture Coated heads for that).

These heads tuned up quickly and have held up to some fairly hard playing. Not exactly for the thrash/metal/punk crowd but really nice for most other medium to medium heavy styles.

HTH

Jim

I made a quick trip to GC and bought some G Plus heads. I mounted them and using a drum dial brought them up to 75. Every lug on all four toms was evenly tensioned without any high or low lugs. By contrast the G2s were all over the place.

These heads, while not in tune yet, sound much better, A nice open tone with a lot of sustain. I'll be setting up in a little while and get a better tuning by ear. I use the Drum Dial to get in the general area.

So far so good.

Edit: I did mount a EC1 on the 16 inch floor tom and it sounded good, but I decided to go with a more open head, This kit has shallower toms than my other DW kit, so I wanted max resonance out of it. I like the toms to roar. When stuff starts falling off shelves in my practice space I know it's just right. :)

Last edited:
Sweat out!

Just played a couple of practice sets and the drums sound really good. I didn't change the tuning at all. The intervals between the toms sound pretty good. Close enough for rock and roll. The rack toms dropped in pitch a little, but that's to be expected with new heads.

No dents or issues thus far. I'm a medium heavy hitter. I'd say Evans has a winner with these G Plus heads for those who like a wide open sound.

OK, I'm gonna play one more set before I'm totally drained.

FWIW, I did a test run of Clear G Plus heads on my Mapex Saturn 14x14 and 16x16 floor toms. I had clear G1s as resonant heads.

I was impressed with the usual Evans quality and the durability they seem to have. However they dried out the sound of my drums no matter how I tuned them. Good resonance too but a lack of depth as well.

I put back my clear G2s and that's that. I sometimes use Coated G2s as well.

They just didn't have the oomph I was looking for, especially on those floor toms, which I like.

Here's a couple pictues of the new Evans G Plus heads.

Attachments

• IM000198.jpg
    IM000198.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 1,682
  • IM000197.jpg
    IM000197.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 1,770
Very cool, get us some sound clips if ya can? I'm interested in these heads as I like the sound of Evans' 2-ply heads but like something with a little more give and sensitivity to it.

Great looking kit too buddy!

Thanks Sinsyk17 for the advice on search. You must be better at it than I am because I couldn't find anything on it, that's why I asked. Sorry if my question bugged you.

Thanks Sinsyk17 for the advice on search. You must be better at it than I am because I couldn't find anything on it, that's why I asked. Sorry if my question bugged you.

I searched, too, and found nothing, which is why I replied with advice rather than a smarty pants quip.

And thanks, Freddy for the review and pics. Nice kit.

So after I made this thread, I went out and got a new set of G pluses, 10 12 14 16. They sounded OK as I was changing the heads ....I had a gig on Saturday and I recorded, so I got a chance to hear them....I think I might go back to 10 mil heads, my toms weren't as crisp as before. They sounded good from behind the kit but out front where my recorder was, I felt that I was sacrificing attack. Another 50 dollar lesson ha ha. I should know by now, I like the regular good ole clear ambassadors.

Back