What is the purpose of drum mics

I hear some people say they sound better on camera but do they sound better in real life? Why do you need a mixer? I don't really want to record my drums but I want them to sound a whole of a lot heck better? If you are getting drum mics what do you need besided cords? Do you have to have a mixer. I have some old sony speakers and a record player as well as some other gadgets but I dont have a ton of money but please help? looking in the 100 dollar range. Please and thank you! I am also a nube to this so please be kind as i am only 13

I was also looking into buying a cad pro drum mics

"cad pro" is an oxymoron.

WHY exactly do you need drum mics? I don't quite understand your question. The only reason you'd need them would be if you are either recording or playing at a venue, and in both of those instances, mics are usually provided. If you're talking about miking up your drums in your bedroom to get them to sound better, don't! You need to figure out why your drums don't sound the way you want them to. I'd estimate that about 95% of the time, it would be due to your heads, treatment and tuning.

1. What kind of kit do you have?
2. What are the drum sizes?
3. What kind of heads do you have on them?
4. How are they tuned?
5. Are they muffled at all?

...with these questions answered, we can make some headway. With only $100, you won't be able to do much for miking your kit, anyways. You'll need the mics (alone, more than $100), cables (around $100 probably, depending on how much you want to mic), AND a mixer (something for all of the cables to feed into before going to your record player or power amp or stereo or whatever you want to use--you can't plug 5 XLR cables into the back of your old Sony speakers).

I have a tama imperialstar all stock heads

There's your problem. Stock heads. Buy some new heads and your kit will sound 100% better, if properly tuned.

Are you playing out live at all or recording? If not, then don't worry about mics. In fact, you'll need to worry about upgrading your kit in the future before you consider buying mics.

Back