Lugs. What should I do?...

Goreliscious

About 2 months ago I bought a 13 x 6.5 Tama Metalworks snare and I've had a problem with detuning lugs/tension rods. Originally I thought it might be my fault because I put Vaseline in the lugs, but I cleaned them out the other day and the lugs around where I'm rim-shotting are still detuning quite a bit.

I've now bought some Lug Locks and stuck them on every batter side tension rod - but in a way I feel that's not something I should have to do. I've never used Lug Locks before so I don't really know how much to expect from them. If the problem continues even with the Lug Locks, do you think I'm within my rights to return it to the shop? Even on relatively cheap drums you should be able to expect a degree of reliability.

My previous snare was a Metalworks 13 x 4 (I got the 6.5 to get a bit more body in my sound) but I never noticed the problem on that snare.

What d'ya think?

Yeah I'm aware of them, but I don't feel I should have to spend money on products like that to fix a fault with a new drum.

Ultimately what I'm asking is - do you think there's a fault with the lugs, or is this just a fact of life for heavy hitting back-beaters? I'll splash my cash on products like those if the consensus is it aint a problem with the drum, but otherwise it feels like I've been sold a dud at normal price and been told I've got to pay extra to fix it.

If you're a heavy rimshot backbeat guy, detuning is a fact of life on almost any drum. Essentially, the better the drum, the less the problem exists, but it's still there. The problem is typically worse on a cheaper drum. Thread depth in the lug, accuracy of thread cutting, hoop type, weight of stick, all play their part.

Detuning is just one of those things that can happen to any drum.

Lug Locks are useless pieces of plastic IMO.
Tightscrews will fix your detuning rod.

Those rods the KIS linked are a good idea.

I also had an off-topic question. How did you like the 13 x 4 metalworks snare? I am considering buying it for my next snare. I was planning on using it mainly as a funk snare (don't do a lot of metal), so is this good for that type of thing? I was thinking the steel might be a bit too loud or harsh, but maybe not. What do you think, good for funk? or just for rock and metal?

I would be sure I got 100 percent of the petroleum jelly out of the lug threads and lugnut threads. This may help and you won't have to spend a dime.

I reckon the 13 x 4 would be good for funk. If you think it's harsh just whack a 2 ply head on it or some moon gel and it'll tone it down. The closest thing to funk I ever liked was Fun Loving Criminals, I can't find the song that the 13 x 4 really sounded like but it's not too far off this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0raVirpa8XY

Failing that if you wanna hear a really badly mixed and EQd recording of the 13 x 4 go to www.facebook.com/openwristexile and on the Band Page listen to Saviour Sibling. I think that was recorded with a Powerstroke 3 and mixed BADLY by myself, I have no clue how to mix/EQ/master etc.

Try the detuning first

Detuning is just one of those things that can happen to any drum.

Lug Locks are useless pieces of plastic IMO.
Tightscrews will fix your detuning rod.

If you still had a problem I think it is your right to ask the shop about it.

Back