Dave King

Dave King is a really interesting player but man, sooooo many rim clicks. It got to the point with the blue record (with the nirvana cover) where I just couldn't listen to it anymore. It sucks a little bit because a lot of his vocabulary is really exciting. Just all that rim noise. It's like one of those clacker toys constantly coming through the speakers.

If there are any records where that isn't as present a sound, I'd love to know.

I think you need to hear Dave do his thing live with the band in concert. Since i've followed their development as a unit they have taken things to yet another level IMO and Dave really breaks it up and certainly no over abundance of butt of stick across snare at the show I just saw. All I remember was a very inspiring,unique and musical performance with lots of variety and dynamics. Some of the best leading edge trio jazz going right now featuring a very underrated current drum master.

Personally I love how he uses the rim clicks to bring another dynamic into his playing, especially on this song.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNPKaXrVLSE

He uses every piece of the kit to its full potential and leaves a large footprint without stepping on his band mates' playing. Plus, I love the way he tunes his drums. But his playing is definitely something you should see and hear at least once, especially in a live atmosphere. If you're a jazz fan, or just a fan of music in general you definitely need to check out the Bad +, or check out David's other projects, like Happy Apple and the Gang Font. Definitely top notch stuff.

The Bad Plus is doing a FREE show at The Grove in downtown Boise tonight - I'm there!

I had heard of them but hadn't actually heard them until yesterday...fantastic musicians! David King is a brilliant drummer with exceptional energy.

Another King!

I started a thread about a drummer named Darren King a while back the guy from mutemath. Here's another dude that ya'll should check out. His name is Dave king he plays for that band called The Bad Plus. Amazing guy, tell me what ya'll think.

Covering Aphex Twin seals the deal for this band.

Anyone here know what cymbals he uses? Especially that ride/crash cymbal, it's so nice and dry! I'd love to know. Props!

Gotta bump this.

Saw The Bad Plus live last year, didn't think I'd love it that much. I love the beat he does towards the end of the "Heart Of Glass" too, he really knows how to give a specific feel with an extraordinarily genius choice of beat. I think it is why the Flim cover looks like it's been played note for note (but actually improvised).

Dave rocks... I actually saw him a bunch with his old band Happy Apple out of Minneapolis. I bought the most recent Bad Plus album, and was into it for a bit, but I think his playing is best experienced live. He is incredibly creative and while he does have the vocabulary of an accomplished jazz drummer, I think the studio recordings leave out his true dynamic sensibilities. He definitely has his own voice on the kit, but often on recordings it sounds like he only has two volumes LOUD and ssssshhhhhhh

Hi, first post... Can't sleep and for some reason decided to look for some Dave King vids... fell into this rabbit hole.

I've had the pleasure of being able to record Dave in various Mn venues since late '05 when I caught one of the now annual Bad Plus Christmas sets at the Dakota. He's been very open and supportive of "tapers" and as such I've seen many of his side projects: Halloween Alaska, Happy Apple, Buffalo Collision, FKG (Foltz King Granros) Starry Eyed Lovelies, Shovel and the freshest, Dave King Trucking Company.

I've always been eager to hear him play, especially in the cozy confines of St. Paul's Artists' Quarter. There's nothing like sitting stage side watching him "pick and grin". For those of you who've never seen Happy Apple live, I'd check out any rare touring appearance. I'm not sure if the band exists to foster Dave's ambition to do stand up (sit down?) comedy or if the shtick between tunes just fits the loose no boundaries philosophy of the band... What do I know?

I've put a Happy Apple set up on Tapers.org that can be streamed or downloaded. Look for HA2007-09-02mtrx.flac16 in the list. Also there is the latest from The Dave King Trucking Company, DaveKingTrucking2010-06-14AKG414.flac16, that was recorded by a fellow taper. I see three Bad Plus sets as well.

Enjoy. I have.

Dave

Last edited:
I just saw the bad plus tonite in boston. I've never experienced anything like it before in my life. dave king is truly an inspiration.

I just picked up the new Cd and it is really out there, some of the most "inaccessible ' stuff they've done, no alt rock covers on this one. lol

Thanks for bringing attention to the mute on the snare drum. I am going to get me one of those. I am really trying to find ways to make drumming more quiet. More quiet without having to hold back. It's such a loud instrument.lol

Ken, it looks as though it would take some focus to avoid hitting that thing. However, it looks like DK can lay into the rimshots without being overpowering and it gives him a quirky modern sound.

Ken, it looks as though it would take some focus to avoid hitting that thing. However, it looks like DK can lay into the rimshots without being overpowering and it gives him a quirky modern sound.

Quirky?? Modern?? yeah, I think that describes Dave King. lol

I just picked up the new Cd and it is really out there, some of the most "inaccessible ' stuff they've done, no alt rock covers on this one. lol

True that! That music makes me feel stupid, it's so different than what I normally listen to. Still a great listen, but way over my head if that makes sense. Dave King's defiantly in my top 5 drummers, the Bad Plus in my top 5 music groups as well. He has a unique humorous style that I really dig. Him and Jojo Mayer are both kinda related in that they play original styles, and both have a certain quirkiness to their playing. Both are very technically advanced as well, and they put it to perfect effective use!

Just saw the Bad Plus last night at Jazz Showcase here in Chicago. GREAT show, and Dave King is an amazing drummer. One of the nicest guys I've ever met as well. Got to talk to him for a good 10 minutes or so. Very down to earth person, and such a great drummer. Definitely going to go see them again next time they're in town!

Just saw The Bad Plus, I found out they were in town just hours before they played. I shook his hand, talked to him, and my friend got his email for lessons. He's a super nice guy, and watching him is amazing. His playing goes from the ravings of a mad man, to the sounds of a rushing river. I had waited such a long time to see him! Everybody drummer owes it to themselves to see him!

Back