Difference between the LP conga lines

caddywumpus

Archnemesis of Larryace
So, all you hand-drummers who know your gear: what exactly are the differences between the Aspire, Performer, Matador, Classic, Classic II, etc. lines of Latin Percussion's congas? I've looked them all up, and they seem to be the same, made of the same "environmentally-friendly Siam Oak", although the price seems to indicate that there's quite a difference. between them. I talked to a local drum shop, and they mention the different styles of comfort rims and different qualities of heads on each line, but said nothing about the shells themselves, or the contours or the bearing edges. It makes me wonder if I were to buy a pair of Aspires and put on the same heads and rims that they use on the Classic II series, if that would be a cheaper way to get some great-sounding congas?

I currently have a pair of Matadors, and I just saw a local ad for some Classic IIs, which is why I'm asking. Is there really that big of a difference? To my slightly-trained ear, I would say "no", but what do the experts say?

If you're looking strictly at the Siam Oak shells I can't speak on the shell differences but the hardware has big differences. Unless you aren't serious in the least or want to buy twice I would steer away from the CP, Aspire and Performer(?). Those have very thin hardware of lower quality. My first set was what amounts to today's Aspire (they weren't called that then) and I had a hoop bend on me. Let's face it they're entry level instruments. Nothing wrong with that if that's all you want/need... go for it. The Giovanni's all have the really heavy duty hardware and the rest have what's in between. Aside from that it is about the rims and cosmetics but I think you'd be happy with anything aside from those bottom end congas. The heads? Meh. Would you buy a snare or kit based on heads? They can be swapped. If you're gigging 'em and weights a factor you may want to consider Fiberglass too. I love my Oaks but man they are a tad heavy! Good luck!

Back