Best Drum Brand For Punk/Metal Drumming

HUdrummer

I know that most bands like Asking Alexandria, The Devil Wears Prada, Of Mice & Men, A Day To Remember, We Came As Romans, and stuff like that use Truth custom drums, but what other brands would sound good in this genre?

badly raised question indeed
drummers which belong to these bands use custom brands mainly because of their looks, despite those facts, all talked off and know off brands use the same shell source: keller shells. bad they are not, just way commercialized.
if you seek towards having a punchy sound on your drums, aim unto bubinga or hard wood drums (1800+ janka units).

You better get a metal kit to play metal. literally a steel kit. It's the only thing that will work.

Robust hardware, hoops etc. I used Starclassic years ago when i was playing in metal/prog bands. Solid stuff.

If it's sound orientated, its all personal.

I know that most bands like Asking Alexandria, The Devil Wears Prada, Of Mice & Men, A Day To Remember, We Came As Romans, and stuff like that use Truth custom drums, but what other brands would sound good in this genre?

Have a look to what the "real" metal bands are using (ie: bands that aren't Kerrang! fodder).

Iron Maiden = Premier
Lamb Of God = Mapex Saturn
Slayer = DDrum Custom
Megadeth = DDrum

I play thrash / groove metal and I play a twin bass drum Mapex Meridian Birch kit.
It sounds amazing, it looks great and it's a really good price.

I'd look at Mapex, Tama or Pearl with DDrum a close 4th.

No guys what im wanting is a drum kit that would sound closest to the drums that those band, except unlike them I dont have10000 to spend on a drum set. I have more like 600-800. What kit would look and sound closest to the kits they use?

Also remember that the heads you use, both batter and reso, will give your drums a different sound. So when you're ready to switch heads, look into what heads those guys are using and that will help get you a little closer.

I'd look at Mapex, Tama or Pearl with DDrum a close 4th.

This. Do this. Now go to the store.

After mic'ing, processing, mixing, mastering, etc... YOUR drums (or mine, or anyone's) aren't going to sound like drums on a CD. It's been the age old pursuit of getting "real" drums to sound like a CD/record etc...

If the drummers you like are using Maple shells, then get Maple shelled drums you can afford, and put heads on them that you like the sound of when you hit the drums.

"Generally", the shells used by (all) these companies are straight shells (no re-rings) and 8ply--which is a good sounding, average thickness, "works for anything" shell.
You can find the shell thickness numbers on shell supplier sites (Precision drums, Keller, DrumMaker.com etc...).
Check those against the shell thickness on kits that appeal to you and your wallet.

There are thicker and thinner shells, but it gets you an idea, and a starting point, but basically, just get a kit that sounds good to you when you sit behind it.

A kit at GC (or whatever shop) isn't going to be tuned up the way YOU would do it, but you can still get a feel for what it'll do.

If you are only playing at home, put whatever heads on the drums that get you what you want to hear.

If you are playing live, it's been my experience that drums that are allowed to sing and resonate (with a true tone) sound best (and are heard) through a PA, and drums that sound dead get lost in the mix--ESPECIALLY if the venue has a less than stellar PA system, and/or sound person running it.

Just my .02 cents, good luck!

any kit that has the same wood and same drum skins can be made to sound closest to the kits they use.

keep in mind the studio sound will be EQ'd and different micing and tuning techniques will be used you don't even know about.
Yeah, you need to find out what drums you like...

Like; if you like Metallica and want to sound like Lars on Master Of Puppets, good luck.

You'd have to find a TAMA Imperialstar kit in his sizes and in mirror chrome plus a Ludwig Black Beauty snare from 1970 something... A lot of cash.

Plus you need to take into account that they're mic'd up in the studio and live.

Unless you're in a tribute for a specific band, don't bother getting exactly the same drums, get the same wood by all means but get what YOU like.

Thanks you guys SO MUCH. Im still having trouble finding a maple kit with a virgin bass and the rack tom to the side in the price range I need it in ($600-$800) any help there?

Look for a used set in that range. You have to remember that all of the drums you are hearing have been recorded, EQ'ed, gated, processed, etc so its hard to tell what they really sound like, Why not establish your own sound and be an individual, rather than copy someone else's style. Make a name for yourself.

Look for a used set in that range. You have to remember that all of the drums you are hearing have been recorded, EQ'ed, gated, processed, etc so its hard to tell what they really sound like, Why not establish your own sound and be an individual, rather than copy someone else's style. Make a name for yourself.

+1. That's how you get noticed. Go in your own direction -- do something innovative and different.

Thanks you guys SO MUCH. Im still having trouble finding a maple kit with a virgin bass and the rack tom to the side in the price range I need it in ($600-$800) any help there?

You're not going to find maple for that price. The closest I can recommend would be OCDP Avalon. Maple, and very cheap for being maple. If you want really cool looking over sound, the Venice series is EXTREMELY well in your range but it's made of basswood. (Muddy, crappy sounding, yet slightly like maple imo. If tuned well with good heads they could sound okay, but I would just go with the Avalons)

I think ive finally made my mind up on my drum kit...

Maple
Natural Lacquer Finish
4-5 Piece kit ( preferably 5 Piece)

Bass: either 20'/20' or 22'/20'. Virgin shell
Rack tom: 12'/9' or 13'/9' suspension mounting ( ill probably mount it on a snare stand)
Floor toms: 14'/14', 16'/14', or 16'/16' ( hopefully ill have two floor toms)

Hopefully some day I can find something like this for under $900 (really hopefully under $600)
New or used

Back