What would you consider "true innovations"

StaggerLee

Silver Member
As the title says, what would you consider true drumming innovations? You dont have to think its a good idea :p Feel free to add?

The first ludwig pedal

Ludwig Speed King

Ludwigs hardware attatched to the lugs.

Cadeson hybrid shell.

Ludwig Vistalite.

Camco Pedal.

Hollywood clip on hoops.

Guru stave hoops.

Guru free floating kit.

Sleishman free floating kit.

Premier Resonators.

OCDP mega ply snares.

The Roto Tom.

Then there's a whole bunch of stuff filed under "electronic".

I thought the RIMS mounting system really worked. Innovative? Not sure. Badly needed? Most definitely.

the snare drum stand

2wfiz2p.jpg

As the title says, what would you consider true drumming innovations? You dont have to think its a good idea :p Feel free to add?

The first ludwig pedal

Ludwig Speed King

Ludwigs hardware attatched to the lugs.

Cadeson hybrid shell.

Ludwig Vistalite.

Camco Pedal.

Hollywood clip on hoops.

Guru stave hoops.

Guru free floating kit.

Sleishman free floating kit.

Premier Resonators.

OCDP mega ply snares.

Actually,Zickos acrylic drums were invented in 1959,way ahead of Ludwig Vistalites.The vistas were just more popular.

The Gretsch free floating pedal and the Camco were almost exactly the same.Camco made the pedal for Gretsch.

Hybrid wood shells have been around since the 30's

Rogers swiv-o-matic hardware and the Dynasonic snare drum

The remote hi-hat was invented by Billy Gladstone and was in the 1939 Gretsch catalog

The Ludwig supraphonic and acrolite spun ludalloy shell,were invented as cost cutting measure by Ludwig,because brass was getting too expensive.The fact that they sounded so good was just a happy accident.

Steve B

Actually,Zickos acrylic drums were invented in 1959,way ahead of Ludwig Vistalites.The vistas were just more popular.

The Gretsch free floating pedal and the Camco were almost exactly the same.Camco made the pedal for Gretsch.

Hybrid wood shells have been around since the 30's

Rogers swiv-o-matic hardware and the Dynasonic snare drum

The remote hi-hat was invented by Billy Gladstone and was in the 1939 Gretsch catalog

The Ludwig supraphonic and acrolite spun ludalloy shell,were invented as cost cutting measure by Ludwig,because brass was getting too expensive.The fact that they sounded so good was just a happy accident.

Steve B

Ah thanks for the corrections!! But i wasnt talking hybrid wood, it was a 3 piece shell, middle wood and to and bottom metal. Like the edge series but a lot earlier.

What Gene Krupa did with tunable top and bottom heads was pretty important in my opinion. Et probably would have happed any eventually, but he was the first.

Drum machines, sequencers and sequencing software. Real innovations. Absolute game-changers.

I don't know if the invention of an appliance would count here. Yes, there was a big hub-bub about these electronic devices when they were first introduced, but collectively, they would all fall into the category of personal computer, no?

And now, they're just regarded like the toasters and coffee machines we use day-to-day. So I'm not sure I'd call them innovative. Innovative is when we still marvel at the fact that it's something that's still really cool ;)

I don't know if the invention of an appliance would count here. Yes, there was a big hub-bub about these electronic devices when they were first introduced, but collectively, they would all fall into the category of personal computer, no?

And now, they're just regarded like the toasters and coffee machines we use day-to-day. So I'm not sure I'd call them innovative. Innovative is when we still marvel at the fact that it's something that's still really cool ;)

I wouldn't call a TR-808 drum machine a personal computer. It's probably not Turing Complete, for a start.

I would call them innovative because of the way they changed the writing, perception and application of rhythm. Drummers generally seem to have a collective wariness of the devices but they're just another set of tools in our arsenal.

For the record, I still think they're really cool. My weird electric organ has an analogue drum machine that I think is really, really cool.

Innovative is when we still marvel at the fact that it's something that's still really cool

No, that's not what innovative is. Something (or someone) is innovative when it comes out of left field, completely unexpected, and has a huge impact on the current state. It's a big jump versus small, incremental evolution. True innovation often becomes the norm and those who were not familiar with the before take it as a given. Modern heads/rims/rods vs. animal skin/gut is one example. No one today looks at a head with tension rods and thinks "that's really cool" but if you could travel back in time a century or so and showed it to drummers they'd be stunned.

The field of electronic drums is an innovation, and in that field there are its own innovations. I have played acoustics and e-drums, and there is no doubt that e-drums were an innovation. My TD-20 module can in no sensible way be classified as a personal computer, although it does share some underlying technology.

The serious innovations change the entire nature of society. Agriculture. The germ theory of disease. The telegraph. As much as we love them though, I don't think any drum innovation is going to rank quite as high as these!

Plastic heads....I started to play before they were available (maybe 1957?) and while not superior for brushes and other things, the convenience factor was and is enormous.

Back