More questions about click tracks!

ricky

Just curious:

1. Anyone here NOT practice to a click?

2. Are there any famous drummers that never played or couldn't play to a click? Who?

3. What do you all think of the very common practice of editing/gridding drums in recorded music?

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. It depends on what I'm practicing, and why. Sometimes I'd just play along to my favorite band tracks, and depending when they were recorded, there may or may not be a click, and if not, the time may or may not be very good. There have been instances where I can really feel those tracks fluctuating.

2. Are there any famous drummers that never played or couldn't play to a click? Who?

Probably most drummers who were active prior to about 1975. That's not to say that there wasn't strict time employed, conductors often used a metronome to guide an orchestra and rhythm section, especially on TV show themes, movies soundtracks, and assorted pop recordings.

3. What do you all think of the very common practice of editing/gridding drums in recorded music?

It's just a part of making music. Sometimes it's nice be able to enhance or fix parts, without the time-consumption of punching-in and cleaning up the resulting glitch. It makes everyone's life easier, makes me sound better, and I get paid the same. :)

I have no problem with clicks either in the studio, or live. I have no problem without them, as well. I don't feel it's a crutch that I'd stumble without, although there are drummers whose time is pretty poor without it. They don't work a lot.

Bermuda

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. It depends on what I'm practicing, and why. Sometimes I'd just play along to my favorite band tracks, and depending when they were recorded, there may or may not be a click, and if not, the time may or may not be very good. There have been instances where I can really feel those tracks fluctuating.

Probably most drummers who were active prior to about 1975. That's not to say that there wasn't strict time employed, conductors often used a metronome to guide an orchestra and rhythm section, especially on TV show themes, movies soundtracks, and assorted pop recordings.

It's just a part of making music. Sometimes it's nice be able to enhance or fix parts, without the time-consumption of punching-in and cleaning up the resulting glitch. It makes everyone's life easier, makes me sound better, and I get paid the same. :)

I have no problem with clicks either in the studio, or live. I have no problem without them, as well. I don't feel it's a crutch that I'd stumble without, although there are drummers whose time is pretty poor without it. They don't work a lot.

Bermuda

3/3. Nailed it. I was gonna' respond in a similar fashion, but eh. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I only started playing to a click 1 or 2 years ago but I was instantly able to because I'd always been conscious of keeping consistent time and I started out playing along to CDs.

I don't think a drummer HAS to play to a click but it's very good for you, and there are benefits exclusive to both playing to a click and playing along to music.

Not sure what drummers could/couldn't play to a click. I am not a big fan of gridding but recording is expensive and gridding creates the perfect take that perhaps the drummer didn't have time to nail.

Back