Best Drum Track Of All Time

But Steve did play in AWB too!

yes, steve ferrone played in AWB, but robbie mcintosh was the drummer on the original version of "pick up the peices".

Well this thread certainly ruined any chance of me picking a fave. Every post is an "oh yeah!". Two more to add:

Bonham: Fool in the Rain

and, the drum solo to launch all self-indulgent drum solos:

drumroll please...../ \ / \ / \ / \ / \ / \ / \ / \ / \ / \ / \ / \ / \ / \ / \ / \ / \ / \ / \ / \ / \ / \ / \ / \ / \ / \ / \ / \ / \ / \ / \ / \ / \ / \ / \ / \ / \ / \ / \ / \ / \ / \ / \ / \ / \ / \ / \ / \ / \ / \ / \ / \ / \ / \ / \ / \ / \ / \ / \ / \ / \ / \ / \ / \ / \ / \ / \ / \ SPLASH!

Mr. Gene Krupa: Sing Sing Sing!

I'd say side 2 of "Hemispheres" deserves mentioning.

The entire "Moving Pictures" also deserves acclaim. One of THE best rock-drum albums OF ALL TIME!

Oh...did I mention "Exit - Stage Left"... Play On! ;-)

Through It All There's You....Robert Palmer.

This is thee most beautiful piece when the drummer cuts loose.

I'd love to know who it is.....anyone know?

Okay...first off, let me start by saying I am not a drummer...I am simply using this forum to better understand the relationship between drums and other instruments.

Now to modify the category a bit...to me, you need at least two things to qualify for this list. One: Drummer doing what the music calls for and Two: A great recording of number one. To me that translates into "best drum album/s of all time". Granted...some tracks are going to be more of a drum showcase than others, but for the most part, if I like the drum track on one song, I like it on the rest of the album.

That being said, here's my list of albums in no particular order: (and a short explanation)

1. Kansas: Point Of No Return ( Phil Ehart may be the first drummer I said..."damn, he's good" )
2. King's X: Faith, Hope, Love: ( Killer Bass Drumming )
3. Rush: Moving Pictures ( Thank you captain obvious )
4. Dire Straits: Dire Straits ( It just swings )
5. Aerosmith: Toys In The Attic ( Perfect rock grooves )
6. Billy Joel: 52nd Street ( Liberty Devito is a monster and this album has maybe the best snare sound of all time, IMO )
7. Alan Parsons Project: Turn Of A Friendly Card ( I just always thought it had a great drum sound )
8. Paul Simon: Still Crazy After All These Years ( IMO, Contains perhaps the single best drum track ever )
9. Various Artists: The Secret Policemans Other Ball ( When Simon Phillips is your house drummer it's gotta be good )
10. Peter Gabriel: So ( Manu Katché and Stewart Copeland on one album )
11. Z.Z. Top: Tres Hombres ( much like Dire Straits and Aerosmith...not terribly difficult drum parts, they just fit the songs perfectly, and if La Grange don't make yer britches bounce...you're dead )
12. Steely Dan: Katy Lied or Aja ( can't go wrong with either )
13. Frank Zappa: Joe's Garage ( Vinnie Colaiuta...need I say more? )
14. Col. Bruce Hampton and The Aquarium Rescue Unit: Mirrors Of Embarrassment ( No Egos Underwater is worth the price of admission alone )
15. Led Zeppelin: Houses Of The Holy ( Bonzo recorded very, very well )
16. Christopher Cross: Christopher Cross ( Great recording...every aspect of it )

I could "Carry On My Wayward Son" for quite some time on this subject. This is a VERY short list that only includes popular music. Well, except for maybe King's X and The Aquarium Rescue Unit...and God only knows why they're not popular. And, even in the popular spectrum, there are many many more note worthy albums I'm leaving out.
I just thought I'd add my two cents worth.

I would agree that there is NO best.

But the one I like the most is probably 'Bullet With Butterfly Wings' by Smashing Pumpkins(Jimmy Chamberlain), so amazing. But if you get a chance to see him play 'Thru The Eyes Of Ruby' live it blows it away! :0

Last edited:
As I'm sitting here with my morning coffee I just thought to post my favorite drumming albums. No particular order. With some it's hard to pick one record (i.e. Rush, Zeppelin) because everyone they put out influenced me but these are the ones that I keep coming back to for inspiration...

Tower Of Power - Back To Oakland (David Garibaldi)
Steely Dan - Aja (Various)
Rush - Moving Pictures (Neil Peart)
Deep Purple - Machine Head (Ian Paice)
Smashing Pumpkins - Gish (Jimmy Chamberlin)
John McLaughlin Trio - Live At the Royal Albert Hall (Trilock Gurtu)
Tony William Lifetime - Believe It
What If - The Dregs (Rod Morgenstein)
Herbie Hancock - Thrust (Mike Clark)
James Brown - Star Time (Various)
Frank Zappa - One Size Fits All (Chester Thompson)
Led Zeppelin - Debut Album (John Bonham)
Power Station - Debut Album (Tony Thompson)

Edgar Winter's Frankenstein

Golden Earring - Radar Love

Phil Collins - In the Air Tonight

All air drum greats

Another good one I'd have to say is "Moby Dick" by the one and only Led Zeppelin. A 20 minute drum solo is always a fun thing and it takes some patience and some pretty good endurance to play a song like that.

Takes some patience and endurance to listen to a 20 minute solo.

Art Blakey - Free For All

Well...

this shouldn't come as much of a surprise but...

Rushs' Hemispheres - Side 2: Circumstances, The Trees, & La Villa Strangiato

or

" " Moving Pictures - Entire album

Drummer - Neil Peart....of course...Play On! ;-)

The late, great Cozy Powell 'Dance With The Devil'......

Here's a few from 3 of my favorites of all time

"Aja", by Gadd with Steely Dan
"Since You Been Gone", by Clyde Stubblefield with James Brown
"Tomorrow Never Knows", by Ringo with The Beatles

who knows if there the best but some of my favorites are: CONUNDRUM,barrie barlow with tull live bursting out. YOUNG MAN BLUES,keith moon with the who live at leeds. NO TIME THIS TIME,stewart copeland with the police regatta de blanc. EVERY DAY I WRITE THE BOOK,pete thomas with elvis costello. BETTER THINGS,mick avory with the kinks.AENIMA,danny carey with tool. ROOM A THOUSAND YEARS WIDE, matt cameron with soundgarden on badmotorfinger. BELIEF,steve jordan with john mayer on continuum. i guess i cant pick just one.

So far the list is great and pretty comprehensive. I'm trying to think of what's left and all I come up with is:

"I'll Take You There" by The Staple Singers.

If pops doesn't get your spine and feet moving you have already assumed room temperature ! That little hat(s) trick he does is just so
"right". It's almost sinful that a family can be so sensuous and spiritual all in the same track. Can I get a witness ?

To all you "boomers" - ain't it funny what it took to impress you over the years ? For me, Ringo Star and Charlie Watts got me started.
I remember playing "Rain" and the intro to "Get Off My Cloud" over and over on my parents hi-fi. I couldn't wait for that magic moment when my dad hadn't got home from work yet and mom would announce "I'm running to the store, keep an eye on your brother & sister" - yeah, right ! Time to bring my 45's out and listen to them properly on the console stereo ! The Kinks "You Really Got Me/All Day and All of the Night". Dino Dinelli & Carmine Appice. Then Ginger Baker,Keith Moon,John Bonham - all in the span of 5 years ! They all have a special place in my heart - how to choose ? I will never forget the first time I heard Zeps "How Many More Times". Playing along, hands slapping my thighs and actually anticipating the tempo change, having never heard the song before and starting in right on cue with Bonham's para diddle thing - boom, boom boom bom boom, boom boom boom boom, BAH, "They call me the hunter..." YES !! Epiphany ! Like children, how do you pick the one you love the most ? Anybody remember a little ditty called "Keep On Dancing" ? I guess I'd have to say "Roseanna". When you buy a record from a genre you would never otherwise touch with a ten foot pole (In my later teens,I HATED anything "Top 10") or "(don't you) Forget About Me" - just for the drum track, I guess that means "man, I'm impressed !" and so should get the vote. Until I signed up on this site I never knew who Jeff Pocaro was and didn't realize I was listening to the same guy across so many bands/songs. I bought the Toto 45, ditto Simple Minds, Power Station etc., (still have 'em). There are bands that I LOVED on the car radio or on the juke box when I was out in the bars but never bought their albums - Chicago, Steely Dan etc., Guess I was a closet "Top 10"
lover. Always appreciated 2 mins. 30 secs. of perfection.In fact, I bought "Roseanna" and transferred it to cassette. Brought it out to my favorite haunt one night and asked the bartender to pop it in (on the house stereo). I said to the group of assembled pals of mine "just listen to this drummer...". 10 seconds into the song I was getting razzed.The bar tender, who had good taste and to his credit, immediately smiled when he heard what song it was - at least I had ONE person that understood me.
"No, no....listen to this guy...I'm freaking serious, shut up and listen".
Fell on deaf ears and probably explains why my band "never made it".
Since joining this site and now so many years later, I feel vindicated !
You're the man Jeff.
LOL !!! I guess a simple "Roseanna"/Pocaro would have sufficed huh ?

Oh... anybody ever heard "Chest Fever" live by The Band ?
Always thought it was pretty tasty drumming also ...alright, I'll stop.

Back