How can I get a deeper sound yet tighter tom heads?

Absolutely, & that's why I didn't get specific. I was referring exclusively to pitch.

Completely agree, & that's why I opened my post with "exhaust all tuning options first". QUOTE]

I promise one of these days...... I will read a post correctly before I comment on it...hahahaha

Absolutely, & that's why I didn't get specific. I was referring exclusively to pitch.

Completely agree, & that's why I opened my post with "exhaust all tuning options first". QUOTE]

I promise one of these days...... I will read a post correctly before I comment on it...hahahaha
No problem my friend :)

I'm just about to go through two days solid of head comparison trials on our new drums. The difference changing between even apparently similar heads makes, never ceases to amaze me, & I'm no tuning slouch. I have also learn't over the years that heads, hoops, bearing edges, & shells are the infinitely variable partnership from heaven, or hell. Head & tuning combo's that work superbly on one drum construction can sound terrible on another.

No you don't have to get maple drums. You can get very pleasing tones from any tuning range with any material shell.

What drum set do you have?

I have set of Export Selects. Running as a four piece in my band. 12 and 16 toms. Had ebony's on them for awhile and still felt like at only one tension could I get a good sound. Now I have pinstripes on them. ...

Maybe larger toms. Besides tuning, diameter is a major factor that'll determine how low you can go.

+1,000,000

Bigger drums let you tension tighter with a lower fundamental pitch.

Back