G2 heads for a PDP Maple, coated or clear?

Dignan

Silver Member
So I'm fixin' to re head my PDP M5 maple kit. It came with very beat up EC2s and stock resos. I'm going to do the always popular G1 clear on the reso side. For the batter side I'm pretty set on the G2s but am having a tough tome deciding between coated or clear. I like the look of the clears better but I think I like the warmth and controlled sound of the coated heads.

Would I be able to coax more of a coated sound out of the clears by putting moongels on them? Right now I think the EC2s have a bit much attack on this kit and are sort of "harsh" sounding. Will I even notice a difference between the coated and clear G2s or am I splitting hairs? Anyone here with an M5 have a preference?

...........for now........

I've been switching back and forth "for now", for years mate.

Speaking for myself, I honestly don't expect that the "coated or clear" question will ever definitevely be answered. I like both for different reasons, so tend to keep full sets of both on hand so that I can swap out depending on playing application or mood.

I've been switching back and forth "for now", for years mate.

Speaking for myself, I honestly don't expect that the "coated or clear" question will ever definitevely be answered. I like both for different reasons, so tend to keep full sets of both on hand so that I can swap out depending on playing application or mood.

Ya, I'm the same way with stuff like this. I tell myself that just to try to convince myself I'll settle on a head. I think we just eventually like change after a while no matter how good a head type or cymbal or drum shell sounds.

Silly question regarding the clear vs. coated debate...Im running G2 coated batters with stock clear Ludwig resos on my Ludwig Element, but Im looking for more volume. Would switching to clear batters make that much of a difference? Or would I have to switch over to single ply batters to get the volume I want? Thanks in advance, and be gentle with the criticism....lol.

Back