DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Drums

Drums All about Drums and Drum Kits

Old 06-13-2018, 01:13 AM
Platinum Member

Default Pearl Music City Custom.... Whaaaat?

I was in my local Guitar Center today. I spotted a nice set of drums. Pearl Music City Custom in White Marine Pearl wrap. They had MRV shells, 4-ply Maple with reinforcement rings. They sounded pretty good. Kind of vintage sounding, which I like for my blues gigs. Although they could have been tuned better. Nice drums! They wanted $1999.99. (below $2000 LOL)

So I'm thinking wow, I'd like to have a set of these. But then I touched the bass drum. The WMP wrap had about 1/16 inch gap between the wrap and the shell. Like it was not glued down. Like the only thing holding the wrap down were the lugs. Same for the floor tom and rack tom. Whaaaat??? Oh My Gosh, what a poor way to build a drum set! After all of the talk about shell construction, they dampen the tone of the shells by putting an air gap between the shells and the wrap.

This drum set was calling out to me saying, "Please buy me and remove the wrap so my shells can sing out and resonate like they should."

Old 06-13-2018, 04:46 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Pearl Music City Custom.... Whaaaat?

Yeah, the MRV line of shells are not the usual Reference Pure shells I have. They do a very nice glue job on the Reference series stuff. I can't speak to the MRV shells - but it is new for 2018 that the MRV's will be available for the Music City Custom line - the selling point being that you can get the drums within 30-days from Pearl from the time you order. Ludwig does the same thing with their wrapped Classic Maples giving you a 30-day window.
Old 06-13-2018, 04:54 AM
Platinum Member

I recovered a set of 80's Exports like 20 years ago, maybe longer, and it was the same way. A few small tack nails where the wrap overlapped and that was it. Made wrap removal a snap, but yeah a crappy way to hold it on.
Old 06-13-2018, 05:17 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrInsanePolack View Post
I recovered a set of 80's Exports like 20 years ago, maybe longer, and it was the same way. A few small tack nails where the wrap overlapped and that was it. Made wrap removal a snap, but yeah a crappy way to hold it on.
I probably should have inspected the seam to see how that looked. But after feeling the wrap not touching the shell I was turned off and I stopped inspecting the kit.

Old 06-13-2018, 04:17 PM

I played a midtown kit that had a bubble in the wrap on the kick drum,..from what I hear, it's a fairly common problem
Old 06-13-2018, 04:28 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandalay View Post
I played a midtown kit that had a bubble in the wrap on the kick drum,..from what I hear, it's a fairly common problem
Guess I got lucky, mine has no bubbles or wrinkles (yet).

My early 70s Wood-Fiberglass kit also has no wrinkles or bubbles, but it may be glued. I really know nothing about how it's wrap was applied.
Old 06-13-2018, 08:06 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrInsanePolack View Post
Guess I got lucky, mine has no bubbles or wrinkles (yet).

My early 70s Wood-Fiberglass kit also has no wrinkles or bubbles, but it may be glued. I really know nothing about how it's wrap was applied.
I had about 3 or 4 Session kit's from late 80's and early 90's. NEVER anything weird or lifting or bubbling. Zero. I remember taking those drums apart and could never find a defect. These were all the main Taiwan factory and I knew they had a tight operation there.

I believe these wraps on Music City's are applied in Nashville.
Old 06-13-2018, 08:08 PM
Platinum Member

There's two opinions.
Lots of good builders differ on whether drums should be taped or glued all over.
Glued wraps are near impossible to repair. People need to see if they can tell a difference in the sound.

I would prefer taped.
I might just buy a vintage pearl wrap and cover my Reference Pure lacquered sparkle set.
That sparkle lacquer also has a wrap of sparkle stuff that gets glossed over.

Yamaha Recording Custom shells have heavy lugs on purpose. Not everything is a bad design.
Old 06-13-2018, 11:03 PM

Given Pearl's reputation for quality I find this hard to believe (not doubting you, just saying it's unusual for a Pearl drum). Is this a new kit or one they took in on trade?
I've had quite a few Pearls over the years and still have my first Export kit from around 1990, and the wrap on that is still good! They also have great customer service and warranty, so if you were really interested in that kit I'd contact Pearl and see what they say about it.
Old 06-13-2018, 11:54 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeard View Post
Given Pearl's reputation for quality I find this hard to believe (not doubting you, just saying it's unusual for a Pearl drum). Is this a new kit or one they took in on trade?
I've had quite a few Pearls over the years and still have my first Export kit from around 1990, and the wrap on that is still good! They also have great customer service and warranty, so if you were really interested in that kit I'd contact Pearl and see what they say about it.
I just called them on the phone. it is a new kit. I made a mistake on the price. The price is $2,179.00

The only reason I started this thread was because I was so surprised that the wrap was loose all the way around the bass drum and the floor tom; except where the lugs were. I love Pearl drums. I just never saw anything like it. I'd be willing to bet I could create a "buzzing" sound if I played that kit hard enough. LOL

Old 06-14-2018, 12:49 AM
Platinum Member

Pearl has their good reputation for quality drums made in Taiwan.

The Music City drums are wrapped and lugged in Nashville.
It's a new thing with these drums having them finished in Nashville.
Maybe the process is getting fudged-up.
Old 06-14-2018, 12:50 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallyY View Post

The Music City drums are wrapped and lugged in Nashville.
It's a new thing with these drums having them finished in Nashville.
Yep that is what I was thinking was the only possible culprit.
Old 06-14-2018, 03:42 AM

I have memories seeing numerous, brand new Pearl Exports at our local music store displayed with exact same thing years ago. The wrap was "puffing up" between the lugs where adhesive came loose and probably oversized wrap for shell. PURE JUNK!! Not just one kit...multiple.

The memories seeing numerous Pearl kits like that is the number one reason why I will never consider a Pearl drumset. NEVER. Even a high end one. Yes, Ludwig and the like made junk as well back then. However, I never saw a Ludwig, Mapex, Tama or Yamaha kit with those defects on a repeated basis.
Old 06-18-2018, 01:51 AM
Gold Member

I'm not a Pearl fan, but I've always admired the quality of their drums. Bubbling wrap is absolutely unacceptable. I hope somebody has notified Pearl Nashville about the sloppiness. Surely they won't allow this kind of thing to continue. What a blot on their good reputation.

GeeDeeEmm
Old 06-18-2018, 02:22 AM
Platinum Member

Man that's a high end kit to display such manufacturing defects-their cheaper kits I've had (Forum, Vision , and Decade) all looked great with no defects. My son-in-law has my old Vision kit and I was just playing it this weekend visiting for Father's Day (happy Father's Day to all you Daddio's out there-we are so fortunate) and it looks great and sounds great (it has the Vision Sensitone snare but it sounds great). I'd be bummed to cough up 2 grand and receive a kit with a "bubble" wrap.
Old 06-18-2018, 02:53 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdmoore28 View Post
I'm not a Pearl fan, but I've always admired the quality of their drums. Bubbling wrap is absolutely unacceptable. I hope somebody has notified Pearl Nashville about the sloppiness. Surely they won't allow this kind of thing to continue. What a blot on their good reputation.

GeeDeeEmm
I let the Pearl employees know over at their forum. Sound's like some poorly trained individuals at the Nashville operation. Unacceptable at any price level with their brand on it IMO.

I remember I had more than one of the Session and/or World Series kits.. WRAPPED.. from the late 80's/early 90's. I remember changing heads all the time on those. NEVER any movement or spacing between or any bubbling.
Old 06-21-2018, 08:52 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artstar View Post
I let the Pearl employees know over at their forum. Sound's like some poorly trained individuals at the Nashville operation. Unacceptable at any price level with their brand on it IMO.

Good on you.

GeeDeeEmm