DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 05-23-2018, 06:27 PM

Default Re: Nick Mason - Thoughts

I'm another fan of Final Cut.

I can see how it soured the others on following Roger Waters' lead from then on, but a really brilliant album. I rank it as good as any Pink Floyd album (I know that's a minority opinion - maybe a minority of 2 as my daughter is equally appreciative).

For the record (see what I did there?) I'm not British, and I'm neither left nor right politically.
Old 05-23-2018, 06:38 PM

I'm kind of the same opinion as David Gilmour concerning The Final Cut; it's mostly Waters' solo material that wasn't deemed good enough for the Wall or Animals, but they were in such a dysfunctional state by then that Waters made the album anyway, without much input from the other two (Richard Wright had already been sacked by that time). Other than "Not Now John", I think it's crap. And I love me some Floyd.
Old 05-23-2018, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquadLeader View Post
Honestly, I'm not just trying to trigger people, although the manner in which I post often can have that effect. I appreciate that.

Based on my love of Dark Side of the Moon, and the Wall, I purchased the full boxed discography for PF at considerable cost. I listened through a couple of times and honestly, I couldn't pick a decent album from the rest. Some fantastic songs, but not a single decent album. In my opinion, to my taste.

I have to stress I'm a bit of a quirky one. There are no bands who get unfettered loyalty from me such as superfans tend to give. If I think an album is shit, I'll say so, even if it's my favourite band. Jeez, I even often proclaim that I think my bands own first album was shit. I really riles my fellow band mates. It's my DNA I'm afraid.

But listen. If you love some stuff I don't then good on you. Knock yourselves out. It's all about opinions. And music's wonderful for that isn't it. My favourite band was the Undertones, and still is. They're the closest I've ever come to consistent perfection. That should tell you where I am on the musical spectrum.
I'd say the target market for the PF box set costing about £300 is probably aimed at those reasonably familiar with most of the earlier (and later) works.

Just curious though, what did you think of Wish You Were Here, and Animals?
Old 05-23-2018, 06:58 PM
Platinum Member

Nick Mason? Perfect fit for Pink Floyd.
Old 05-23-2018, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayTheSong View Post
I'm another fan of Final Cut.

I can see how it soured the others on following Roger Waters' lead from then on, but a really brilliant album. I rank it as good as any Pink Floyd album (I know that's a minority opinion - maybe a minority of 2 as my daughter is equally appreciative).

For the record (see what I did there?) I'm not British, and I'm neither left nor right politically.
I also love The Final Cut. It took a little time to grow on me as I was young and still only familiar with their massive hits when I got it, but It's a GREAT album. It's so emotive.
Old 05-23-2018, 10:39 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquadLeader View Post
Are you telling me I shouldn't have flogged my boxed set ??

:-)

Nope.. i read why you got rid of it and i am 100% behind you on that.. there are amazing songs, i can listen to dark side and wish you were here all the way through pretty much but others i do skip alot of songs.
Old 05-24-2018, 02:49 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumEatDrum View Post
Personally, I think Nick Mason is a great drummer and a good friend of mine.

Oh wait, were talking about the Pink Floyd's Nick Mason. :-P
Leave me outa this one ;)
YouTube
Old 05-24-2018, 03:54 AM

Back in 83 and 84, I could not get enough of the Final Cut. I played it to death, along with Pros and Cons of Hitchiking. Now, I canít get thru either one. Amazing how oneís taste changes thru the years. Animals has always been my fav. I could listen to the whole thing every day.
Old 05-24-2018, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odd-Arne Oseberg View Post
..Would anyone?

I wouldn't know about Vinnie if it wasn't for Frank, Joni or Gordon..

With this difference that i am not considering Colaiuta necessarily a band-drummer..

But, allthough this thread is about Mason, lets take Satisfaction from The Rolling Stones as an example..There will be a lot of people saying that that 3 times 'signature-solo-fill' of Watts is exactly what the song needed and they can not imagine anything else being played there..But to me the idea is that those people would have said the same if Watts would have played there each time two bars of 16th notes on his snaredrum..

And with those Pink Floyd songs is the same..They are that much in our collective memory that those drumparts ofcourse sound like those are the only parts that would fit..
Old 05-24-2018, 08:49 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Living Dead Drummer View Post
Loved your work on The Wall!!

Always wondered why you chose not to play on Mother, though?!?!?!
Old 05-24-2018, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldskoolsoul View Post
With this difference that i am not considering Colaiuta necessarily a band-drummer..

But, allthough this thread is about Mason, lets take Satisfaction from The Rolling Stones as an example..There will be a lot of people saying that that 3 times 'signature-solo-fill' of Watts is exactly what the song needed and they can not imagine anything else being played there..But to me the idea is that those people would have said the same if Watts would have played there each time two bars of 16th notes on his snaredrum..

And with those Pink Floyd songs is the same..They are that much in our collective memory that those drumparts ofcourse sound like those are the only parts that would fit..
Yes.Good Point..our memory is the basis. If Ginger Baker was a Beatle...we would be saying his drumming was perfect for the band and could not imagine anyone else. I'm sure many would say Dennis Wilson's style was perfect for the Beach Boys. The problem is that Dennis didn't play on many of the hits (Wrecking Crew). If nobody knew Jeff Pocaro played on Mother, we would assume it was Nick's perfect style of drumming.
Old 05-25-2018, 12:49 PM
Platinum Member

Possibly, but for me its about feel. Floyd were all about creating moods and atmospheres. Being sensitive to the music, and more so, to the vocals, was paramount to the end result. With Floyd less was always more when it came to all the instruments involved. A lot of the tension and emotion created is down to the space in the music and them simply suggesting things and letting the listener fill in the dots. Without Mason Floyd would have been very different and probably not as good. Good bands play off each other so with a different drummer the rest of Floyd would have played differently, that goes for lots of bands.

With regards to Charlie Watts. The Stones wanted Charlie as their drummer and waited a long time to get him. They bribe him to tour and have done for decades, despite the fact he hates it, and they could get any drummer they like. Kieth has said on many occasions..."Charlie is the bed I lie on" Praise indeed. Too many drummers now think technique is everything, its patently not. Feel, and the right fit for the right band trumps technique every time.
Old 05-26-2018, 04:05 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Living Dead Drummer View Post
You replied twice, a year apart, to the same comment. :-P

I don't think I'm to make it to this weekends show, but I have the 6th down in my Calander.
Old 05-26-2018, 04:09 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleClark View Post
Yes.Good Point..our memory is the basis. If Ginger Baker was a Beatle...we would be saying his drumming was perfect for the band and could not imagine anyone else. I'm sure many would say Dennis Wilson's style was perfect for the Beach Boys. The problem is that Dennis didn't play on many of the hits (Wrecking Crew). If nobody knew Jeff Pocaro played on Mother, we would assume it was Nick's perfect style of drumming.
The difference is the Beatles would never have had Ginger Baker in their band.

The Beatles did invite Ringo to play on their various solo albums here and there.
Old 05-26-2018, 02:59 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
The difference is the Beatles would never have had Ginger Baker in their band.

The Beatles did invite Ringo to play on their various solo albums here and there.

Exactly. Because they knew he would come up with something that fit the feel and mood of the songs perfectly. They knew what they would get and liked it. End of story.
Old 05-26-2018, 09:09 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
You replied twice, a year apart, to the same comment. :-P

I don't think I'm to make it to this weekends show, but I have the 6th down in my Calander.
HAHAHAHA

Guess I didn't realize it was an old thread that got resurrected.
YouTube
Old 06-07-2018, 12:36 PM

When I was 9, when I first discovered Pink Floyd, I got very atracted to Nick Mason's drums. I suddently wanted to also play drums, and that's how the story began for me.

He is surely one of my biggest inspirations still today. He might not be the best drummer, but he definitively has skills. He is unique at the same time and inspiring.
Old 06-21-2018, 03:30 PM

I'm looking forward to seeing Roger Waters for the first time next week :)

Apart from the overall experience, I'm looking forward to seeing whoever is drumming, doing Nick's parts. I'm sure it will be first class!

Anyone seen, any comments?

Last edited by davor; 06-21-2018 at 03:32 PM. Reason: error
Old 06-21-2018, 03:36 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by veecharlie View Post
When I was 9, when I first discovered Pink Floyd, I got very atracted to Nick Mason's drums. I suddently wanted to also play drums, and that's how the story began for me.

He is surely one of my biggest inspirations still today. He might not be the best drummer, but he definitively has skills. He is unique at the same time and inspiring.
There are some videos of his new band doing early floyd on youtube and he is still great :)