DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 11-25-2009, 10:25 PM
Gold Member

Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaffekvarn View Post
Hi Gavin!
was wondering if you got some notes on halo, because I choose it for my schooltest and the beat about 2.27 just giving me a headache :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Harrison View Post
Hi Alex P.
Here is the transcription of "Halo".
I also transcribed the intro of the dvd version. I don't know if everything is good...

http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/2103/halo1.jpg
http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/5786/halo2r.jpg
http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/5620/halo3q.jpg
http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/6797/halo4n.jpg

Thanks it looks really good. The middle part I've always thought of as 17/8 or (5/16 + 5/16 + 7/16 + 5/16 + 5/16 + 7/16).
Check out that transcription by Alex, it's really good, he even got the live intro fill Gavin plays on the "Arriving Somewhere" DVD.

Fox.
Old 11-25-2009, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalma View Post
I want to use it for the iphone-app.

You get a button "get new groove" and played will be a groove with a random-time-signature.

Thanks
David
Poly's are nothing more of a loop in a certain time sig (like 7/4) over a different loop in a certain time sig (like 5/4). And at some point they will collide and "start over again". Which will be the point here the total loop would be.

Though I;m not sure if I have the idea of a poly right with this? (Wish I went to music college)

But if that's the case then it would be not that hard.

Just generate two random patterns and place them over eachother. That's all. The poly name gives the clue where the total loop will be (there would be 7 bars of 5/4 and 5 bars of 7/4)
(The patterns themselves can be done with calculating on a grid, where the subdevisions determine the grid. These subdevisions make the difficulty. And for extra difficulty, some random accents can be added. Then make a way of playing those generated loops, manipulate their tempo and also perform precise hit tests which will be the most difficult thing in the whole code I thin. But that would be basically it).
Old 11-26-2009, 05:22 AM

Hello,
I was wondering if your going to bring some merchandise to India. If so, are there any chances of finding the Lightbulb Sun DVD A in stock.
Old 11-26-2009, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumbumhamza View Post
Hello,
I was wondering if your going to bring some merchandise to India. If so, are there any chances of finding the Lightbulb Sun DVD A in stock.
Amazon has them in stock:
http://www.amazon.com/Lightbulb-Sun-...9232911&sr=8-1
Old 11-26-2009, 02:04 PM

Hi everyone,

I would like to give a try the S-Hoops for my snare drum. Time ago a fellow posted the direction of a dealer, but i asked them without success.

Do anyone know any dealer web site where i can buy the hoops?

thanks in advance!

Gustavo
Old 11-26-2009, 03:21 PM

Hey Gavin!

Thanks for the great show yesterday. The whole show was just awesome.
I really liked the "Ride-Hihat" groove you played on "I drive the hearse".

Cheers
huXler
Old 11-26-2009, 11:12 PM

Hi Gavin!
I hope everything is well with you out touring and all!

My question for you is about setting up your drumkit.
I read earlier in the thread that you are quite tall, 6.1 if I'm not mistaken.
I'm around 6.2 and I've never felt 100% comfortable around my kit.
I've been playing for about 5 years and I don't know how many times I've shifted heights on toms, cymbals, throne ect to find a combination that works for me.
I can't seem to do it even though I'm fairly close.
The thing is that I've never tried a rack system and I'm starting to think that maybe a "rack" could do the trick.

How did you find your ultimate setup for the drumkit?
Did a "rack" help you with this?
(Im sorry if this question is already out there but this thread is monstrously long, and the search tool couldn't find anything!)

Thanks!

Sincerely
Rickard R (a huge fan of yours from Sweden!)
Old 11-27-2009, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickardR View Post
The thing is that I've never tried a rack system and I'm starting to think that maybe a "rack" could do the trick.
How did you find your ultimate setup for the drumkit?
I hope you don´t mind me jumping in. I was in a similar situation until I saw Gavin's setup and how he uses the rack and placed the cymbals. Basically I took this as a completely new starting point and built my personal setup from there (and it stayed pretty close to Gavin's).

I found it very pleasing to freely place the toms above the bass drum and move them closer to me wihout having to bother with mechanical limitations of tom holders. Also I liked the idea of having a virgin bassdrum which - in combination with 5 toms - is easier to realize with a rack. Additionally if you have a lot of stuff to place around you - and different sounds can be inspiring for sure - doing it without a rack can become a hassle. Last argument... if you are on tour and move your set quite a lot, a rack makes it easier to recreate your setup - the additional weight might bother you though if you have to carry the stuff on your own.

So... I can only recommend to make that investment.
Old 11-27-2009, 11:26 AM
Platinum Member

On the contrary, if you play different kinds of gigs, where you also might use just a little basic setup with 2 cymbals and 2 toms let's say, you might wanna have other options than the big rack. Otherwise you need half the stage space for your rack, despite the fact that your kit will be tiny.
And rebuild the whole rack everytime a different setup is needed isn't really an option, it would kill the argument of being able to recreate the same setup in an easy way everytime.

If you are a working musician, you need to be ready for different occasions - if you're a band drummer who has like 5 gigs a year, with the same band, you can go for the one-setup option. As long as you consider the sizes of venues you are likely to play, too.
Old 11-27-2009, 01:26 PM

I agree with matthias. i stopped using a rack a few years ago. it really only makes sense if you have quite a big setup (that never changes). and setting the rack up wasn't really that much easier than with individual stands - you'll need routine to get it perfect every time.
Old 11-27-2009, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisGau View Post
I hope you don´t mind me jumping in. I was in a similar situation until I saw Gavin's setup and how he uses the rack and placed the cymbals. Basically I took this as a completely new starting point and built my personal setup from there (and it stayed pretty close to Gavin's).

I found it very pleasing to freely place the toms above the bass drum and move them closer to me wihout having to bother with mechanical limitations of tom holders. Also I liked the idea of having a virgin bassdrum which - in combination with 5 toms - is easier to realize with a rack. Additionally if you have a lot of stuff to place around you - and different sounds can be inspiring for sure - doing it without a rack can become a hassle. Last argument... if you are on tour and move your set quite a lot, a rack makes it easier to recreate your setup - the additional weight might bother you though if you have to carry the stuff on your own.

So... I can only recommend to make that investment.
i agree with Chrisgau.
I'm actually using a gavin's inspired setup and the rack system is the best way to keep your setup in order without spend a lot of money.

Hi Gavin,
I have an question for you! (incredible... -_-' )

In the upcoming album of claudio baglioni QPGA, have you recorded ALL the tracks?
Thanks a lot.
oh, i wanna tell you that i played in studio my new yamaha recording custom snare drum......i tried to use your advices, like the 8 strand snare wire, and the pinstripe coated batter head.
I've mounted die cast hoops on it and a small ring that i make by myself (i've cutted away half of the ring, it was 3 cm large and i keep only 1,5 cm)...what i can say?It seems to be the JOY for the sound engineers.. It seems to be stopped and iper focused, but if i change my hit the sound take many colours.Amazing snare, really.I told to the sound engineer that all the advices come from you...and he :"Gavin...HARRISON??? THAT gavin Harrison??? =O"...i've stunned that guy...no, you've stunned him ^^
Thanks really...you're a bible for drummers!
Cheers from Italy
Riccardo
Old 11-27-2009, 02:30 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi drumbumhamza

We don't know at the moment if we'll be bringing any merch. The cost of shipping it there for one show will probably be too much.

Hi RickardR

I read earlier in the thread that you are quite tall, 6.1 if I'm not mistaken.
I'm around 6.2 and I've never felt 100% comfortable around my kit.
I've been playing for about 5 years and I don't know how many times I've shifted heights on toms, cymbals, throne ect to find a combination that works for me.

I'm also 6.2 and I've used a rack for about 20 years now and I love it (I have most of the mics mounted on the rack too). Before that I just had so many stands and clamps it was a bit of a nightmare to set up quite a complex kit - as I like it. The most important part for me was getting the seat height right and the distance from the bass drum and snare drum. In 1981 I started playing heel up on the bass drum pedal and felt that I wanted to sit further back so my foot was only half way up the foot board. It seems to me when I sit on other people's kit that I must sit lower than average. I like the feeling of sitting 'behind' the drums (Steve Gadd style) rather than 'on top' of them (Buddy Rich style).

I also agree that if you're playing in a lot of different situations with different bands then the rack can sometimes be too big. I have a cut down version of my kit and I use a couple of big Sonor stands with most of my toms and cymbals mounted on them for smaller stages and pub gigs etc.

Hi ItalianRicky

In the upcoming album of claudio baglioni QPGA, have you recorded ALL the tracks?
Thanks a lot.
oh, i wanna tell you that i played in studio my new yamaha recording custom snare drum......i tried to use your advices, like the 8 strand snare wire, and the pinstripe coated batter head.

I played on a few but it was quite a long time ago and I can't remember how many. About 7 or 8 maybe? Glad your new snare is sounding good. I actually really like the S-Hoop on it too.

cheers
Gavin
Old 11-27-2009, 06:14 PM

Thanks for all the answers guys, and Gavin!

The most important part for me was getting the seat height right and the distance from the bass drum and snare drum. I like the feeling of sitting 'behind' the drums (Steve Gadd style) rather than 'on top' of them (Buddy Rich style).

I also like that feeling, of sitting "behind" the kit. Mostly since I'm tall and my legs and arms otherwise ends up in a uncomfortable position.

I also agree that if you're playing in a lot of different situations with different bands then the rack can sometimes be too big.

I play with 3 different bands (classical/orchestra/pitpercussion, disco/pop and a big band) 5 times a week and hence I play on 3 different drumkits and alot of different venues. My own drumset is sitting at home and are currently acting as a sort of practice kit only. And I have played in all sorts of venues. From pubs (for like 100 people) to big concerts halls (for about 2000 people). I can compromise when it comes to pub gigs ect, I don't mind sitting a little awkward since I've always done that (and you cant always be picky, It's a gig for crying out loud and I'm not a pro!) but the thing I cant stand is that I would rather play on my E-kit than play on my acoustic just because the E-kit is more comfortable.

I'm going to buy a rack! Hey, It's almost Christmas so I think I can justify living on noodles for a couple of months in order to buy myself a present!

As I said; Thank you all for your answers!

/Rickard
Old 11-27-2009, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickardR View Post
I play with 3 different bands (classical/orchestra/pitpercussion, disco/pop and a big band) 5 times a week and hence I play on 3 different drumkits and alot of different venues. My own drumset is sitting at home and are currently acting as a sort of practice kit only. And I have played in all sorts of venues. From pubs (for like 100 people) to big concerts halls (for about 2000 people). I can compromise when it comes to pub gigs ect, I don't mind sitting a little awkward since I've always done that (and you cant always be picky, It's a gig for crying out loud and I'm not a pro!)...
Assuming you're getting paid for these gigs, playing in three different bands five times a week pretty much qualifies you as a "pro," even if it's not your day job. Don't sell yourself short!
Old 11-27-2009, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by THRAK View Post
Assuming you're getting paid for these gigs, playing in three different bands five times a week pretty much qualifies you as a "pro," even if it's not your day job. Don't sell yourself short!
I don't get paid much at all. I get some from the gigs with the pop band but that mainly goes to paying for renting a good PA-system and other things. We have a deal with a studio owner (actually from Atlantic records) who lends us a lot of gear for free but in the end all the small expenses piles up. The orchestra is actually "sponsored" and paid for by the Swedish military and we get free trips around Europe and such so I cant complain. And for the big band we get alot of money for gigs ect, but that is used for renting a place to rehearse and trips around the country.

Actually I just realized that I'm quite lucky to do all these things since I'm only 19.
The dream is at this point to be a studio musician and I don't really care about the money right now. It's all about the playing and I hope it will stay that way!

But again, I don't see myself as a pro. The deffenition of "pro" or "professional" musician I believe is when you get paid to play and that it's mainly your job. But for me a "pro" is someone like Gavin! Someone who is incredibly talented but still humble enough to talk to us mortals. I mean, wouldn't you still just love his playing even if he was a unpaid "no-body"!? I would!
Old 11-27-2009, 08:30 PM

Hi Gavin,

I have a question about feet technique. I've been playing drums (mostly pads) for about 5-6 years now, and I never really felt secure whilst playing with my feet. I am not saying that I don't have problems with my hand technique, but at least I have a feeling of a secure and relaxed motion. I use DW-7000 double bass pedal, I used to play only heel up, now I play heel down in certain situations (and i practice mostly heel down at home). I sit behind (not on top of) my drums, my feet are parallel to the floor when i'm sitting and my feet are a little bit further away from the middle of the pedal board when i play heel up (towards the bass drum). My question for you is: How can I improve my feet technique? How can I achieve a more secure kick (and a double kick)? How can I achieve a more swift,relaxed and continuous motion (speed)?

Sorry for the quantity of the text, I just thought I should list all of the factors.
I've heard new PT , great playing as always, I still hate you for not showing up in Serbia :P. Thank you in advance for the answer!
Old 11-29-2009, 03:30 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Inngwar,
I don't know if I'm really the right person to give you advice about foot technique. I don't think mine is that great. I always play heel up and I know that when I want the beater to hit the head - my right foot can make it happen most of the time. Sometimes I practise both feet playing together to see if I can really make them hit the bass drum EXACTLY at the same time with no sign of even a slight flam. That's quite hard - and shows me that one or the other is a bit lazy. Playing double stroke rolls and paradiddles might help your technique but from a practical level (in a band situation) I only found good results from playing single strokes on the double pedal.

In terms of accurate articulation I found the first exercise of the Gary Chester book "A New Breed" to be very helpful. After I practised that for 30 mins and then went on to play a groove - everything just felt better from the bass drum point of view.

cheers
Gavin
Old 12-02-2009, 05:04 PM

Gavin, last night was a great show. Thank you very much for coming to Neu Isenburg. I know it's not very big. The complete band has make a great job. And the sound quality was great. One of my best concerts.
I have one question: Did you put something into your bassdrum, like a cushion?
How did you do this bassdrum sound?

Thank you very much

WuGGu
Old 12-02-2009, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WuGGu View Post
Gavin, last night was a great show. Thank you very much for coming to Neu Isenburg. I know it's not very big. The complete band has make a great job. And the sound quality was great. One of my best concerts.

Thank you very much

WuGGu
I have no idea what Gavin is currently doing on tour of course, but here are two answers he gave in the past to kick drum questions. I believe I remember seeing an interview or Q and A session with Gavin in which he stated that he muffles his kick drum heavily.

http://askgavinharrison.com/articles...ll-on-its-own-

http://askgavinharrison.com/articles...a-Blank-Planet

[edit]

I found the video I was thinking of. He talks about his bass drum sound starting at about 4:00:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOJOACCcEgE

Last edited by ahector; 12-02-2009 at 08:15 PM.
Old 12-03-2009, 10:48 AM

Hy Gavin!

Great show yesterday in Cologne.

My Question:

How do you synchronize your clicktracks with the video show?
And which software do you use for video playback.Is there a video guy?

Thanks in advance and all the best,

Stephan
Old 12-04-2009, 01:01 AM

Gavin,

In an earlier post you mentioned that Scar was in 11/8. You said you subdivided it into (3/4 and 5/8). I was wondering how that would work? I can count it out subdivided as 3 bars of 3/8ths and 1 bar of 2/8ths, I guess that's just the way I feel comfortable counting it as.

Also, you said the chorus(es) of that song were in 4/4. Well I must say, it does ring true, but if you count it listening solely to the drums, there are rhythmic illusions all over the place. I'm guessing that's a good way to learn your illusion theories, or at least hear them in practice.

Thanks for clearing it up for all of us non-odd time pro's. :)
Cheers

Eric
Old 12-04-2009, 08:34 PM

Hi Gavin!
Everything ok?
i have a little trouble...
I joined the lovely family of Axis Longboard users...I love the feeling of this pedal...
BUT.
i love to look for a "BUT"... =D
Axis excellent speed is a great improvement, but i can't obtain a real punch with the bassdrum like i had with my DW5000...After a pair of days of burning my brain i reached an answer.The Axis beaters are very light, and i feel it because the dw beaters are heavier.Overall, with dw Beaters i use the plastic part and it was very large, the Axis's sonic hammer beaters are very small.
With your longboards, which beater do you use?Advices for setting this pedal in the better possible way?
thanks.
Cheers from Italy!
Old 12-05-2009, 01:09 AM

Hi Gavin...

It was really a great show in cologne on wednesday. And i loved the the ride-hihat pattern on "drive the hearse ". I hope there will be a live dvd of the show.

I am looking forward to your new drum dvd "rhythmic designs". Sounds difficult but very interresting....

All the best ...
Old 12-05-2009, 01:37 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi WuGGu

I think "ahector" has covered the answer.

Hi smfoo

How do you synchronize your clicktracks with the video show?
And which software do you use for video playback.Is there a video guy?

The clicks are coming from "Logic Pro" on a MacBook Pro - and the videos are being triggered from the same computer via a program called "Arkaos". My tech Jason runs the computer from just behind my riser.

Hi euphoric_anomaly

In an earlier post you mentioned that Scar was in 11/8. You said you subdivided it into (3/4 and 5/8). I was wondering how that would work? I can count it out subdivided as 3 bars of 3/8ths and 1 bar of 2/8ths, I guess that's just the way I feel comfortable counting it as.

With any 'odd' time signature you can count it (and write it) any way that you want. Usually I just find the easiest and most comfortable way for me - that's not to say that someone else might find it easier in another way for them.

Also, you said the chorus(es) of that song were in 4/4. Well I must say, it does ring true, but if you count it listening solely to the drums, there are rhythmic illusions all over the place. I'm guessing that's a good way to learn your illusion theories, or at least hear them in practice.

It's actually very easy when you think of it as this - the main snare hits in the first bar are on 2 & 4 and then in the second bar it's on beat 3. The ride or hi hat pattern is the illusionary thing.

Hi ItalianRicky

With your longboards, which beater do you use?Advices for setting this pedal in the better possible way?

I use the Axis Marksman beaters. I have them set back away from the head more than the default settings - and I have the springs on reasonably tight too.

Hi linus

I am looking forward to your new drum dvd "rhythmic designs". Sounds difficult but very interresting....

thanks - we believe it will released in January.

cheers
Gavin
Old 12-05-2009, 10:50 AM

Hello Gavin,

1st and foremost thx for your past suggestions about recording gear: i got a nice "microstudio" now that works fine :D

2 questions:

1. Got this video from Antonio Sanchez that says that you can't rely too much on rebound with the sticks because if u move from snare to a floor tom (that's supposed to have much less rebound, or rather in a rock low pitched set) u get a totally different "touch", so he learnt to do the job with his hands. That's so true.... What's your approach?
2. I hear sometimes your bounce rolls with your left hand are in time (typically 4 single handed stroke rolls.. see Jojo Meyer sometimes... ). Is that planned or just a coincidence? (maybe that's a stupid question?... :))) )

Thx and ciao
Old 12-05-2009, 05:46 PM

Hello Gavin,

Wanted to ask you about the drum sound on Sleep Together. Really huge and almost Bohnam-ish if you will in both feel and sound at least to my ears. I am listening to the DVD-Audio version at 24bit/48khz 6 channel and the lows are just massive on my Marantz/bose setup. How did you achieve this sound ? Is compression the key ?

Would you happen to know if Steve Wilson has suggested speaker placement for listening to Pt in Hi-res surround ? I have read lots of conflicting suggestions on speaker placement. The PT' material sounds so good I plan to use is as reference material when calibrating my home theater. Believe it or not lots of people in the high end Audio forums suggest using PT to calibrate both stereo and surround to the newbies.

Congrats on The Incident. That album makes quite a statement and is the only album I have been able to listen to from start to finish without hitting the skip button at least once in a long time. Your playing on the album is very tasty and the way you are able to play such complex things while always remaining supportive, and never over bearing unless appropriate makes the whole experience one great musical meal. Hard work pays off eh ?

Cheers,

Last edited by Liquid_Drummer; 12-05-2009 at 06:12 PM.
Old 12-05-2009, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid_Drummer View Post
Hello Gavin,

Wanted to ask you about the drum sound on Sleep Together. Really huge and almost Bohnam-ish if you will in both feel and sound at least to my ears. I am listening to the DVD-Audio version at 24bit/48khz 6 channel and the lows are just massive on my Marantz/bose setup. How did you achieve this sound ? Is compression the key ?

Would you happen to know if Steve Wilson has suggested speaker placement for listening to Pt in Hi-res surround ? I have read lots of conflicting suggestions on speaker placement. The PT' material sounds so good I plan to use is as reference material when calibrating my home theater. Believe it or not lots of people in the high end Audio forums suggest using PT to calibrate both stereo and surround to the newbies.
I agree with your comments. Everything steven wilson mixed is good for reference. He really understands how surround works and the results you can achieve with it.
I think that the general guidelines for setting up surround would work well for PT.
For setting up your set (calibrating that is); Blue Sky released a free set of calibration samples.
http://www.abluesky.com/asp/catalogu...asp?linkid=143

As reference is concerned, you can't go wrong with this music.

Gavin's kickdrum sound is one of the best I heared in my life. There is so much energy in it, but it sounds very controlled (my sub doesnt boom it, nor does my room/house resonate), punchy and clear. It has the same energy and presence I hear during the live shows. I remember my first PT show. The first thing they played was FOABP (when it was still work in progress, cheating the polygraph was still in the running order at that time). That first kickdrum hit blew me away. I knew this guy was going to be good…

Btw, just got my copy of King Crimson's "In the court of the Crimson King". Done by Steven. Wonderful and highly recommended! (but be sure to check if you have a version with a surround mix)

@Gavin,
Thanks for the Arkaos link! Couldn't find it (as I'm looking for something like that to use at our shows). Are you guys using the Arkaos VJ Midi version?
Old 12-06-2009, 02:46 AM

Hey Gavin, do you have a large library of drum instructional books and dvds?
Old 12-06-2009, 04:52 AM

Hi Gavin.
I had the pleasure of seeing you in person only once, at the Montreal Drumfest in 06.
Needless to say, I loved it.

I just wanted to say that the song, Open Car, is my favorite song, and hits me on many levels. Its really great for a song, created by other people, to touch other lives in such a layered and powerful way. The song, Open Car, just makes me feel so many different emotions, both as a player and as a listener. Its beautiful in many ways.

For myself, Rush, and your band, seem to "fit" into my life in so many syncronis ways, that it feels like the universe is so very connected.
I just love your playing and Neils.

I hope you know, your loved by many players.
I know you do, and it never goes to your head.
God Bless you and the band and all the family members.
Merry Christmas Gavin.
Much Love
Dean
Old 12-06-2009, 05:50 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi steste50

1. Got this video from Antonio Sanchez that says that you can't rely too much on rebound with the sticks because if u move from snare to a floor tom (that's supposed to have much less rebound, or rather in a rock low pitched set) u get a totally different "touch", so he learnt to do the job with his hands. That's so true.... What's your approach?

I used to practise on my bed with a practise pad for my snare drum and pillows for toms - so that really made me work on different rebounds. Double stroke rolls on a pillow is quite a good work out.

2. I hear sometimes your bounce rolls with your left hand are in time (typically 4 single handed stroke rolls.. see Jojo Meyer sometimes... ). Is that planned or just a coincidence?

Yes that's planned.

Hi Liquid_Drummer

Careful recording I would say. I used 90% of my big live room sound on that track. Yes there's some compression going on but not much. The bass drum has an extra sample on it too. I tried to not hit the crash cymbals too hard because they really explode in a live room sound.

Would you happen to know if Steve Wilson has suggested speaker placement for listening to Pt in Hi-res surround ?

I've no idea.

Hi SantiBanks

Are you guys using the Arkaos VJ Midi version?

Yes we are. You assign a video to a note on the virtual keyboard in Arkaos - and then in the Logic song you send it the same midi note that lasts the length of the song (connecting via a 3rd party plug in called "Rewire") and it triggers the film.

Hi jake_larson

do you have a large library of drum instructional books and dvds?

Yes I do.

cheers
Gavin
Old 12-07-2009, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inngwar View Post
Hi Gavin,

I have a question about feet technique. I've been playing drums (mostly pads) for about 5-6 years now, and I never really felt secure whilst playing with my feet. I am not saying that I don't have problems with my hand technique, but at least I have a feeling of a secure and relaxed motion. I use DW-7000 double bass pedal, I used to play only heel up, now I play heel down in certain situations (and i practice mostly heel down at home). I sit behind (not on top of) my drums, my feet are parallel to the floor when i'm sitting and my feet are a little bit further away from the middle of the pedal board when i play heel up (towards the bass drum). My question for you is: How can I improve my feet technique? How can I achieve a more secure kick (and a double kick)? How can I achieve a more swift,relaxed and continuous motion (speed)?

Sorry for the quantity of the text, I just thought I should list all of the factors.
I've heard new PT , great playing as always, I still hate you for not showing up in Serbia :P. Thank you in advance for the answer!
I've been playing metal with a lot of double bass for a long time, so I think I can lend some advice on this.

An exercise I picked up from a good friend of mine has helped me a lot over the last few years. Basically, you set a metronome to quite a slow pace, play straight double bass sixteenths for 20 mins. Then you set it to something mid-paced and do the same thing. Finally, you set it at a fast pace and do another 20 mins. The idea is to push your threshhold on either side (the slow pace should get slower every day, and the mid and fast pace should get faster every day).

Another thing that helped me a lot was to adapt one of JoJo Mayer's hand speed workouts to the feet. You set a metronome at around 100 BPM, play 16ths to a hundred count and then increase the BPM by 5 and repeat. Keep going until your leg muscles are screaming at you. This is really good for speed and endurance.

As far as technique, it's good to experiment with heel-up and heel-down. At a certain speed you have to play heel-down if you don't want to tear up your leg muscles, and I have found that there are a lot of parallels between using rebound when playing with the sticks and playing heel-down; using a kind of flick of the ankle allows you to use the rebound off of the kick head and to let the pedal do the most work for you.

Hope this helps...
Old 12-08-2009, 12:55 AM

Hi Gavin!

First I want to said that I really like the way that you play the drums. It‘s very creative and a great source of inspiration for me and other drumers.

Could you share your drum setup configuration that you actually use?

Is the same setup with PT and 05Ric?

I know that it‘s a Sonor SQ2, thin shells on rack toms, medium on flor toms and heavy on bass drum, is it correct?

But what is the wood (maple, birch or beech) and tom sizes?

Thanks Gavin...
Old 12-08-2009, 11:24 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Marcos

Could you share your drum setup configuration that you actually use?

this is probably the most up to date and accurate list of all my equipment
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gavin_Harrison

Is the same setup with PT and 05Ric?

Yes it is.

I know that it‘s a Sonor SQ2, thin shells on rack toms, medium on floor toms and heavy on bass drum, is it correct? But what is the wood (maple, birch or beech)

The shells are maple apart from the snare drums which are birch.

cheers
Gavin
Old 12-08-2009, 01:49 PM

hi gavin,
how are you?
nice talking to you,i attended the concert in the palladium in cologne.and i wanted to know what you think about people that do drugs at pt concerts.there were people right behind me that were smoking joints.i wasn´t happy with that at all.

greetings from germany

joe
Old 12-08-2009, 07:58 PM

Same in Vienna.....very annoying!
Old 12-08-2009, 09:41 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Yes I find that really annoying. It's very distracting and hard to play the drums whilst folks are blowing smoke over you - especially some kind of weed.

Cheers
Gavin
Old 12-09-2009, 08:38 AM

Hi Gavin,

are you planning to come to Frankfurt music fair again sometime like you did in 2007?

Last edited by Joethebeat; 12-09-2009 at 09:57 PM.
Old 12-09-2009, 12:24 PM
Silver Member

Hi Gavin i just wanted to say that i thoroughly enjoyed your performance last night in Newcastle and thank you for coming here, you'd be surprised how many bands forget about our Town. It was a fantastic show and i was in awe, also thanks for playing Bonnie the Cat!
Old 12-09-2009, 03:52 PM

Hey Gavin!

I wanted to ask you something about "Futile":
Could you explain the part when you go the China, in the beginning of the song. I've always tried to just play along, but I always get lost.

And the fill in Slippin' Away at about 2:15, or that you are doing live sometimes.
Am I right, that it consists of a kind of flam on a tom with the right hand, one stroke on the snare with the left, and then RRLL ghost notes?
I hope it's not too confusing!

Cheers
huXler
Old 12-09-2009, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huXler View Post
I wanted to ask you something about "Futile":
Could you explain the part when you go the China, in the beginning of the song. I've always tried to just play along, but I always get lost.
Hi HuXler

Search for thread 2488, maybe is the part you´re looking for.

Regards
Gustavo