DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 11-15-2007, 01:20 AM

Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

Hi Gavin,

This may sound really stupid but i'm really anxious to know...
So i have been watching your first dvd and i have realized that you play your double kicks without moving your foot foreword (maybe i'm wrong) and they sound very even. Could you explain this motion?
Old 11-15-2007, 06:24 AM

Hey Gavin, I was curious to see if you had ever considered adding octobans or a gong bass drum to your set-up. From what I know, Sonor makes both for their artists. Just curious as to your thoughts on these drums and the drummers that use them (Simon Phillips, Gary Husband). Cheers!
Old 11-15-2007, 01:08 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Alexdrum75,

Listening to those clips I feel I play much behind the beat, the songs never lift up, the engine never starts. What can I master to deal with these situations?

I only managed to load the Toto song - and for sure the guitarist is playing a long way in front of you. Have you tried playing this song with a click? Sometimes people have different perceptions of tempo and where they play relative to the beat. It only really grooves when everyone in the band has a strong sense of tempo and a similar feeling about where to place their beats. Some musicians never really pay a lot of notice to beat placement - and can't even hear that they play out of time. Drummers tend to be more sensitive to it because it's a very large part of playing the instrument.

Hi Santibanks,

Also, are you familiar with these microphones:

http://www.naiant.com/studiostore/microphones.html

I've never heard of them, so I can't comment about them.

Hi Inngwar,

So i have been watching your first dvd and i have realized that you play your double kicks without moving your foot foreword (maybe i'm wrong) and they sound very even. Could you explain this motion?

Do you mean without sliding the foot up the pedal? I've always done it like that - first note is with the toes - second note is with the 'ball' of the foot.

Hi gongbass,

I was curious to see if you had ever considered adding octobans or a gong bass drum to your set-up.

I never have had the feeling to include those sounds in to my setup - although I do have a pair of old octabans in my garage and I managed to use them a little bit on a PT song called "So Called Friend" from the Deadwing CD.

Cheers
Gavin
Old 11-15-2007, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Harrison View Post
Hi Alexdrum75,

I only managed to load the Toto song - and for sure the guitarist is playing a long way in front of you. Have you tried playing this song with a click?
As ever, it's a pleasure and an honor to be answered by one of the contemporary drummer I admire the most, if not the ONE.

However, whenever I try to play with a click, whether live on in a studio situation, I feel that the gap between my sense of time and the other musicians' one is greatly exaggerated.
In this situation the outcome is actually worse than playing without a click track.
I have to focus in on the click and that distract me from the whole groove.
It's a really frustrating situation, believe me. And I don't want to blame the other musicians because I really don't know clearly yet If it's me or the other buds.

I mean: in a non professional situation it's only the drummer who bears the burden of keepin' time. And that should not be.

I ask also other forum members here to give me advice (of course not here on this section) on this so to have a broader picture of how they deal with these situations.

Maybe this post can be expanded somewhere else on the drummerworld.com forum.
Old 11-16-2007, 12:21 PM

Ciao Gavino !!

We are a small group of the mythical GHFC
Tomorrow we will be to Rome to the tendastrisce, for the concert !!
We would want to succeed to greet to you, we hope to succeed to us..
Considered that the last year, the theatre security has been much rigid, we fear that it is also this time..

So if we must have problems,
know that during the concert, we will be under the Fausta's banner !!

See you tomorrow.. We hope !!

Greetings from GHFC !!
Old 11-16-2007, 01:53 PM

Hi gavin!

that was an AWESOME show last night in vienna!!!! did you like it too?
one question do you remember the fill you played after the guitar solo of sound of muzak? can you reveal that? it is at 3:48 on the studio version...
and another question, why didn't you do the drumsolo when steve asked for it :)) ?
Old 11-16-2007, 02:39 PM

First of all Gavin (Sir!), I must say, you are an awesome drummer. One of the reasons I started drumming a year back was after listening to some of your stuff!

I have a couple of questions, if you will not mind answering.

1. I am having a problem choosing a double bass pedal. The only 2 available in my price range in India are the Sonor DP492 (single chain) and the Janus Ergo Pedal (double chain). What are you thoughts on either of them?

2. Would you advise Rhythmic Horizons and Rhythmic Visions, to an intermediate player like me. I don't have a teacher, and I am looking for some studying material, and am very interested in your instructions.

Thanks
Old 11-16-2007, 07:59 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi tobi283,

one question do you remember the fill you played after the guitar solo of sound of muzak? can you reveal that? it is at 3:48 on the studio version...

I don't remember what fill I played in last night's show (in any song)...do you mean it sounded like a fill from the CD?

and another question, why didn't you do the drumsolo when steve asked for it :)) ?

I knew his problem would be fixed quickly and I didn't want to start a solo and then stop after 30 seconds...plus I don't really love playing drum solos.

Hi hitman050,

1. I am having a problem choosing a double bass pedal. The only 2 available in my price range in India are the Sonor DP492 (single chain) and the Janus Ergo Pedal (double chain). What are you thoughts on either of them?

I'm not familiar with either pedal - but I have played Sonor pedals and they were very good indeed.

2. Would you advise Rhythmic Horizons and Rhythmic Visions, to an intermediate player like me.

Start with Rhythmic Visions and see how you get on. It's not a physical technique dvd - it's about manipulating rhythm.

Cheers
Gavin
Old 11-16-2007, 09:09 PM

Hi Gavin,

Sorry for my bad english...

I'm interested to know if you ever had creativity problems? And if you did , do you still sometimes find yourself in a dead end?

And what inspires you the most? Do you find your self less or maybe even more creative in front of a crowd?
Old 11-17-2007, 02:31 AM

No it didn't sound like on the cd, i just wanted to make shure that you know which fill i'm talking about...
So how come you don't like playing drum solos?
Old 11-17-2007, 11:38 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Inngwar,

I'm interested to know if you ever had creativity problems? And if you did , do you still sometimes find yourself in a dead end?
And what inspires you the most? Do you find your self less or maybe even more creative in front of a crowd?

I think (like most of us) there are days were I feel more creative than others. Some days I play my drums and nice things start to appear - and other days - where I can't hear any new stuff coming through. Usually it's in the smallest details and I have to be in a relaxed frame of mind to reach those details. Letting go of any preoccupations is important and not being afraid of sounding bad momentarily. Of course it's all in the mind - and a good book to read is Effortless Mastery by Kenny Werner. Reading that book helped me get in touch with my inner rhythmical thoughts. Being in front of a crowd makes no difference to my creativity - I don't feel more or less inspired. The inspiration has got to come from inside my head or something that I'm hearing someone else play.

Hitobi283,

So how come you don't like playing drum solos?

Because they seem so completely out of context to me. I'll happily play a solo during a tune because there's a musical form going on and I can use that to have some meaning...but to just pull a solo out of thin air (because the guitarists amp has broken down and he suggests to the crowd.. "How about a drum solo?") usually means regurgitating a load of pre-rehearsed licks and fills (just a load of showing off basically) - and I find that a really boring circus act - to either perform or listen to. I could start a solo from nothing and try to follow the wind - but I really need an open ended time frame and to be in the right state of mind (as I said above).

Cheers
Gavin
Old 11-17-2007, 12:23 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:

I think (like most of us) there are days were I feel more creative than others. Some days I play my drums and nice things start to appear - and other days - where I can't hear any new stuff coming through. Usually it's in the smallest details and I have to be in a relaxed frame of mind to reach those details. Letting go of any preoccupations is important and not being afraid of sounding bad momentarily. Of course it's all in the mind -
Thats a wonderful insight into the mind ( ...if I may put it diplomatically) of an artist of your caliber.

However, I have often wondered that I, as a musician of limited ability, I have always felt that the day I could instantaneously play / create everything that I could imagine, I would have fulfilled my musical goal

What are your playing aspirations, considering you are already well past the milestone I talk of?

I have had the good fortune to pose this question to Max Roach, and Zakir Hussain amongst others, but would love to hear your feelings about your own playing and musical goals.

Thank you, as always, for all your replies

Last edited by aydee; 11-18-2007 at 12:54 PM.
Old 11-17-2007, 03:52 PM

Hi Gavin,
I hope you're enjoying the sunny weather in Rome today, you guys got lucky for it's been foul in the past few days.
I can't wait to see the show tonight and I'm wondering if you have plans for a clinic or two in Italy in the near future.
I only started listening to your music in the past months but I's stunned by your musical sensibility and ideas and I'd really appreciate to hear from you live.

I'd like to thank you for your kindness and availability, good luck for the show and the future!

Ivano.
Old 11-17-2007, 07:55 PM

hello

i think you'r gone
but how did you get
a great drummer like this

greets,derk
Old 11-18-2007, 12:43 AM

great show u played in vienna!!...i thought anathema was good but in comparison to PT they sounded like an amateur band
your fills were amazing as always especially the one in sound of muzak after the solo...
Old 11-18-2007, 03:00 AM

Hey Gavin,

I have recently been using the 12" oriental China Trash, as I believe you also do. I was just wondering something. In the past several months I have owned 3 of these cymbals. The model keeps cracking on me (within 45 days of use) at the concave of the cymbal. I did some research online and found that it appears to be a "common" problem with the oriental trash. I am just curious if you to experience the same problem with this cymbal or not? It sucks because I love the sound of this cymbal so much, but I am going to have to get another companies effects china to replace it because this cymbal just doesn't hold up over time especially at its cost, and its not worth it to keep replacing it every month. :(

Also if you have any suggestions for a 12" effects China besides the oriental trash, then that would be much appreciated :)

Anyways, always good to hear your replies.

Thanks in advance Gavin!

Brent
Old 11-18-2007, 07:43 AM

[/quote]
Because they seem so completely out of context to me. I'll happily play a solo during a tune because there's a musical form going on and I can use that to have some meaning...but to just pull a solo out of thin air (because the guitarists amp has broken down and he suggests to the crowd.. "How about a drum solo?") usually means regurgitating a load of pre-rehearsed licks and fills (just a load of showing off basically) - and I find that a really boring circus act - to either perform or listen to. I could start a solo from nothing and try to follow the wind - but I really need an open ended time frame and to be in the right state of mind (as I said above).

Cheers
Gavin[/quote]

Perfectly said. That's exactly how i feel. They always tend to sound 'unmusical'(?!) to me aswell. I've only heard 2 or 3 drum solo's that have had feel and musicality, and they are mostly just a time-keeping groove with one or two tasteful licks/chops thrown in, unlike the over-hyped limb flailing insanity that some drummers perform. Some are technically great, but musically they don't do anything for me.

However, i do LOVE drum solo's while the rest of the band is playing (especially in a live setting). Your solo in 'Hatesong' from the PT DVD is a prime example.... oh so tasteful : ) Also, the solo in the song FOABP (on the album) where it's just you and you 'pull' the whole band back in... perfect!! There's a huge difference though between your solo during a song (in FOABP) and drum solo's where there is no musical context, as you rightly said. Keep it up and PLEASE come to OZ.... i've heard rumours that you were on your way down here with PT but i can't see anything on your site. I understand how hard it would be to come here though, tucked away from the rest of the Western world. I'll keep my eyes peeled!! Now you've made me wanna go drum... cya.
Old 11-18-2007, 12:44 PM

Hey Gavin,

Just another couple questions about your PT recording process if thats cool.

-'In Absentia' and 'FoaBP' both sonically have roughly the same drum sound. This is interesting as both had two different kits, engineers, microphones and rooms. What would you, if at all, contribute this similarity to? The way the kit was recorded? The tuning? A mixture?

And lastly:

-Was 'FoaBP' recorded to guide demo's like 'In Absentia' where parts were replaced as you went along?

Cheers

Garry
Old 11-18-2007, 03:15 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi aydee,

I have always felt that the day I could instantaneously play / create everything that I could imagine, I would have fulfilled my musical goal.

Me too.

What are your playing aspirations, considering you are already well past the milestone I talk of?

I don't think I am past that milestone. On rare occasion I seem tap into some inspiration and things start to flow. I'm always chasing that feeling. I'm well past the point of worrying about technique and I do try to steer the ship from the bridge rather than have my head in the engine room...if you know what I mean.

Hi pagoda_5b,

I'm wondering if you have plans for a clinic or two in Italy in the near future.

Not at the moment. I made 12 clinics in Italy earlier this year - so it'll probably be a while until I get invited again.

Hi gibeachhead,

I did some research online and found that it appears to be a "common" problem with the oriental trash. I am just curious if you to experience the same problem with this cymbal or not?

I have broken a couple of them - but the secret is to really let them breathe and swing - if you clamp them down (even a bit) they will break. I love the sound of them too. I had a Zildjian 12" EFX "Piggyback" china a few years back that was really nice too.

Hi garryjboyle,

-'In Absentia' and 'FoaBP' both sonically have roughly the same drum sound. This is interesting as both had two different kits, engineers, microphones and rooms. What would you, if at all, contribute this similarity to? The way the kit was recorded? The tuning? A mixture?

To me they sound very different and yes they were different sets in different rooms. I guess it's the way I hit them. A lot of a drummers personality is in the touch - I know it sounds crazy but I've heard different drummers play the same kit - and they sounded quite noticeably different. (wow I used the word different a lot there).

-Was 'FoaBP' recorded to guide demo's like 'In Absentia' where parts were replaced as you went along?

Yes FOABP was recorded to demos like In Absentia.

Cheers
Gavin
Old 11-18-2007, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Hi garryjboyle,

To me they sound very different and yes they were different sets in different rooms. I guess it's the way I hit them. A lot of a drummers personality is in the touch - I know it sounds crazy but I've heard different drummers play the same kit - and they sounded quite noticeably different. (wow I used the word different a lot there).
Maybe 'the same' is too strong a word choice. How about a sonic similarity? ;)

Garry
Old 11-19-2007, 08:42 AM

Default Milan's show

Hi Gavin,
thanks for the amazing show, last night in Milan.
I enjoyed the evening and your performance... as usual ;-)

I'm also glad there are more and more people coming on PT's concerts every year.

Cheers!

Stefano
Old 11-19-2007, 05:16 PM

Default Some Question ;)

Hi Gavin.

I have some question for you.

- When you play live with a band that don't have sincronize video or track, there are some situation that you prefer to have only a click in your in-ear monitor? Why?

- When you recording your drum-part in, for example, Porcupine Tree Album, how of the drum-part is writing in you mind, and how is born in studio session?

-Your style of drumming is for me one of my great inspiration, but for me is incredibible your "sanse of taste" and accuracy of you style. I read and Study you DVD and book.
I ask you some advice to develop this features
For example in your style, you use a lot of sticking controll...you have sugestion to develop this style?

Tanx a lot Gavin
I hope that my English is quite clear

Enrico
ByE ;)
Old 11-19-2007, 07:42 PM

Hi Gavin, maybe you don't know.....but you have joined King Crimson....:-)

www.dgmlive.com.....

best music related news of the last 10 years.

ciao
T

Last edited by Tolo; 11-19-2007 at 08:34 PM.
Old 11-19-2007, 07:51 PM

I would like to ask a question? Ever since I have started drumming, I always feel my left hand limits what I can play. Are there any specific exercises that you use(d) to develop your weaker hand (and leg), so that it was close to your stronger hand in terms of both power and speed/control?
Old 11-19-2007, 08:57 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi garryjboyle,

How about a sonic similarity? (FOABP and In Absentia).

As I said I don't really hear it. If anything FOABP and Deadwing have a similarity to me - but there's an obvious reason for that - the drums were both recorded at my studio.

Hi plerik,

- When you play live with a band that don't have sincronize video or track, there are some situation that you prefer to have only a click in your in-ear monitor? Why?

I'm very fussy about tempo - and some tunes are difficult to get the right tempo for. I might use a click for just 16 bars just to get the tune off at the right tempo....in the same way people use metronomes for a count off.

For example in your style, you use a lot of sticking controll...you have sugestion to develop this style?

Study some snare drum books. Fred Albright's "Contemporary Studies For Snare Drum" is very good.

Hi hitman050,

I always feel my left hand limits what I can play. Are there any specific exercises that you use(d) to develop your weaker hand (and leg), so that it was close to your stronger hand in terms of both power and speed/control?

Probably you'll never get your left hand to be as good as your right (assuming that you're right handed). You've been using your right hand a lot more in everyday life (writing/eating/opening draws/picking your nose.. etc) and it has a stronger connection with your brain.

You can of course try to play left handed on your kit (Billy Cobham style) and that will help you develop your left hand and your left side. But remember to do what every sounds and feels best to you - not what just looks cool. Billy does it brilliantly - but I could never make the groove feel better by playing things left handed. I try to practice things with my left hand that my right hand can do - there's no secret exercise - just determination.

Cheers
Gavin
Old 11-20-2007, 04:13 PM

Default plerik

Tanx Gavin for you answers
I have other question ;)

- For me In some Live situations without without synchronized video or track, is useful to have the metronome in Headsets, for example when the bpm is low (minor of 90-100). Is correct for you?

- The next question is very important for me for understand your metod for compose music and drum part. I have my metod but If it were possible for me to understand your method,
I would be very happy.

Tomorrow I start my studio Session in Italy with my Fusion/Prog Band.
The album will be mixed by Derek Sherinian

When you recording your drum-part in studio, for example, Porcupine Tree Album, how of the drum-part is writing in you mind before the studio session, and how is compose in studio, for example Fill, Dynamics, "color"
With porcupine you have some session with other Porcupine before the studio session or you write all part in studio?

Tanx a lot Gavin
Enrico
Old 11-20-2007, 04:54 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Hi aydee,

I have always felt that the day I could instantaneously play / create everything that I could imagine, I would have fulfilled my musical goal.

Me too.

I don't think I am past that milestone. On rare occasion I seem tap into some inspiration and things start to flow. I'm always chasing that feeling. I'm well past the point of worrying about technique and I do try to steer the ship from the bridge rather than have my head in the engine room...if you know what I mean.

Cheers
Gavin
Gavin,
Thanks so much for indulging me in my arm-chair philosophy. I have great admiration for those who can "steer from the bridge.". I'm a boiler room guy working my way up to trying to understand that feeling.

Zakir talked of moving "the music" and the " time" off of his fingers to the pit of his stomach.(I have seen him play 2 completely different rhythms in 2 different meters on the 2 tabla drums..... something you are doing a lot of lately).

Max talked of exploring the infinity between 2 notes( funnily enough, an Indian concept), and truly saw the drums as a linear melodic instrument.

Other ways of expressing the same thing I guess.

May I ask, when you do improvise or just create ( not sure how much of your recorded playing is improvisational), are there some ideas that flash through you that you find impossible to execute, or do you sometimes find yourself at a loss for those kind of ideas, if you know what I mean ?

Where do your demons reside? : )

Cheers

Last edited by aydee; 11-20-2007 at 07:25 PM.
Old 11-21-2007, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Hi gapwedge,

It states that in 2008 you will be joining King Crimson

I don't know about that. Unfortunately it seems anyone can edit your Wikipedia page and add whatever they want. I don't know who wrote that there or where they got that info.
Perhaps from Robert Fipp's website:
http://www.dgmlive.com/news.htm?entry=1210

I know, I know, the timeline doesnt match up (gapwedge's post with Robert's entry) but its still true, nonethaless.

Right Gavin?
Old 11-21-2007, 11:51 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi plerik,

When you recording your drum-part in studio, for example, Porcupine Tree Album, how of the drum-part is writing in you mind before the studio session, and how is compose in studio, for example Fill, Dynamics, "color"
With porcupine you have some session with other Porcupine before the studio session or you write all part in studio?

I'm not sure I really understand your question. When I hear a new song for the first time - of course I imagine what rhythms could fit well with the song. Then I go and sit at the drums and start to record (as I have a studio in my house). Fills/dynamics and colours are coming to me in the moment that I'm playing. Then I play the results to the other members of the band to see what their reaction is. I may re-record the song a few times until I'm happy with the parts and the performance.

If I'm going to a studio to make a recording with a new artist - I have no preconceived ideas of what I'm going to play because I haven't heard the songs yet. The songs will determine what I'm going to create along with the requests/suggestions from the artist and producer.

Hi adyee,

May I ask, when you do improvise or just create ( not sure how much of your recorded playing is improvisational), are there some ideas that flash through you that you find impossible to execute, or do you sometimes find yourself at a loss for those kind of ideas, if you know what I mean ?

The only time I'm really struggling for ideas is when the song/tune I'm playing on is very uninspiring to me. Sometimes as a session musician you're called in to play on something you really don't like...and that's when it gets hard to think of things.
Other times I might be disappointed by what my hands and feet are playing - with - what appears to be - a will of their own.

Hi Shane G,

Yes the 'cat' and the 'bag' seem to have parted company.

Cheers
Gavin
Old 11-21-2007, 04:12 PM

Hi Gavin

Now that the feline has separated from it's convenient carry-case, might I be permitted to re-ask my question about whether joining King Crimson will be in addition to or instead of PT?

Last edited by gapwedge; 11-21-2007 at 04:12 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 11-21-2007, 07:33 PM

Hey Gavin,

You're a great drummer and I love your work etc etc

Sometimes I get strange mental blocks with regards to a very specific technique; double sixteenths on a single pedal at certain places in the beat for instance. I know that I can play it, because I have been for years and occasionally I still can, but apparently my brain thinks I can't do it, so I usually can't.

Do you ever get mental blocks like this? How do you overcome them? (by the way, I have tried playing it slow and working up to speed. No good.)

Keep up the good work :)

Also, to everyone here on the forum: where do I find the FOABP dvd-a version? I've seen announcements about it and stuff but I can't for the life of me find anywhere that actually sells it. Am I blind or what?
Old 11-21-2007, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuz View Post
Also, to everyone here on the forum: where do I find the FOABP dvd-a version? I've seen announcements about it and stuff but I can't for the life of me find anywhere that actually sells it. Am I blind or what?
http://www.burningshed.com/store/por...oduct/169/639/
Old 11-22-2007, 11:26 AM

Hi Gavin!
Really enjoyed seeing you in Saarbrücken yesterday. You were obviously in good shape.
Some posts before you mentioned the click track to be on your monitor just for some bars as a count off. Seemed to me you were using that method yesterday too, right? Because sometimes when there are really subtile keyboard sounds I wonder how the whole band could stay in time without a clicktrack...
Well anyway it was great!!!
"See you in Paaariiiis" unknown guy in the crowd (it wasn't me)
Old 11-22-2007, 12:56 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi gapwedge,

might I be permitted to re-ask my question about whether joining King Crimson will be in addition to or instead of PT?

In addition.

Hi Spuz,

Sometimes I get strange mental blocks with regards to a very specific technique; double sixteenths on a single pedal at certain places in the beat for instance.

Yeah I can remember having trouble with this beat: x x - - - - x x - - - - - - - -
bass drum on the first two 16ths of beat one and the last two 16ths of beat two - plus hand to hand 16's on the hi hat. I had to really practice that so there was no flams at all between the hi hat and bass drum.
Another good one to practice is "Wanna Be Starting Something" (Michael Jackson - Thriller). It is a Linn Drum on the record but it's a good coordination exercise.

The bass drum is like this : - x x - - - x - x x - x - - x x : snare plays 2&4 and the hi hat plays just the first four 16ths.

Cheers
Gavin
Old 11-23-2007, 10:35 PM

hi gavin,

after interlaken and cologne i could convince about 25 people (all from Basel/Switzerland) to go to zürich watching the show. after the gig they were all kissing my feet because they could once see your drumming. pt is just live mindblowing, i was waiting 2 hours to get the best seat on first floor and this concert was the highlight of 2007!

my question: which song do you enjoy most to play live?

thx again for making my ears so happy.

lionel
Old 11-23-2007, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Hi WhatWouldYouSay,

[i]1. What is your favorite PT song to play live?

At the moment I'm enjoying playing "Drown With Me"

Cheers
Gavin
Here's your answer, though his opinion may have have changed since the FOABP release...
Old 11-24-2007, 01:46 AM

Quote:

Yes the 'cat' and the 'bag' seem to have parted company.
This is quite exciting! The Bruford/Mastelotto pairing was one of my faves... I am curious as to what roles you and Pat will play, as in the last situation (generally speaking) Pat held down the grooves freeing Bill to experiment over top... Any thoughts on that?

In any case, congrats and I look forward to what will surely be another impressive work involving you :-)
Old 11-24-2007, 04:29 PM

Hey Gavin.
Thanks again for taking the time to answer our questions. I am interested in knowing more about your recording process. I know that you prefer Waves C1 compression. What are some of the basic settings you use such as ratio, threshold, attack, etc? Do you roll off any frequencies? Do you use a gate on any of your drums?
Congats on your continued success! Can't wait to hear your take on Crimson.
Old 11-24-2007, 08:26 PM

Hi Gavin How are you?
Excuse me Gavin i have a question
I want to buy a microphone for my hi-hat I am undecided between a neumann tlm103, or neumann km 184 or akg c391 can you help me in choosing and advise the various differences I love your current sound of your hi hat.
thanks a lot for your time
Angelo
Old 11-24-2007, 11:25 PM

Hey Gavin,

Thanks for the great show at Brussels last Thursday!
It was my fourth show and the last one was really something special.
Too bad about The Sky Moves Sideways and Even Less, but you guys more than made up for it.

I'll be seeing you again in Amsterdam and have a question about that show.
Me and several guys and gals from the PT forum who went to the Brussels gig are also going to see the band in Amsterdam.
It's kinda rude, but my question would be if you could persuade Steven or whoever makes the setlists to play Even Less and The Sky Moves Sideways?

I have both your DVD's and I have a question about your polyrhythmic fills.
When you're writing do you just go for it and see what works best, or do you really work a fill out in your head first?
I've been trying to incorporate this kind of fills in my own music, but it's not always working out.
I'm trying patterns of 5, 7 and quintuplets, but I have some trouble coming up with good patterns.
So what's your approach?

Thanks for your time. You're drumming is phenomenal.

Cheers,

Francis