DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 06-18-2012, 10:22 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

Quote:
Interesting question!

Also..... is this finish availble? I absolutely want it! It'a amazing!

M.
I checked the sq2 configurator and it's not available.. They are also black from the inside, right?
Sonor told me when I ordered my sq2 that they can't produce anything that's not in the configurator.. :D lie!! =)
Old 06-18-2012, 11:45 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi !SpeedKing

So I would like to know if you often use doubles or triplets or even paradiddles in your playing style.

yes I do...but to be pedantic - 'triplets' are just subdivisions and not a 'sticking'.

Hi Dustondrums

Gavin, maybe it's a silly question, but what helps you to stay relaxed playing the drums? And if you feel some intensity while you play (in the middle of the song or before the difficult part for example), what helps you to get rid of it?

the short answer is - experience. I have learnt through many years of being on stage in high pressure situations that you will tense up with nerves - and want to rush things with the high level of adrenaline that you may have. It sounds silly - but you have to tell yourself to relax. Watch Steve Gadd play - and you'll see what being relaxed is all about.

Hi machine_head

About double bass drumming technique. I wanted to ask you though how do you aproach doubling-substitutions, specifically about preferences on leading and landing with different feet. For example if Im playing groups of three RLL using my right foot instead of left hand RFF, and I double them, I have two posibilites: starting the burst of four in the downbeat of 2, or starting in the upbeat of 1, anticipating the second downstroke. The two posibilites would look like this:

1) R - F f F f (downbeats=F/ upbeats=f) and
2) R f F f F - .

Now if you know what I mean so far, I have a conflict deciding wether to start the second option with the left pedal, thus maintaining always downbeat on the right foot, or starting it with the right foot, thus changing the downbeat to the left foot.
Now I know you never start with left.. does that mean you preffer to land the downbeats on different feet than to lead with different feet?

I don't really understand what you mean in your example - can you notate it for us? In any case - I always start any pedal combination with my right foot and I always play singles. I can think fast with my hands but not with my feet - so I keep to those very simple rules so my feet don't get confused. If I end up on a down beat with either foot - that's fine with me. If you try really hard to always have one foot 'on the beat' and the other always 'off the beat' you're going to run into problems as soon as you play in an odd time signature.

Hi Fox622003

are the earmuffs you're using during the 05Ric rehearsals video (the ones with the red line) just some standard Peltors? Are they any good to wear over the headphones/get a decent feel for the music with them on?

Yes they're Peltors with maximum isolation. I put them on over my 'in ear' monitors. That way I can have very low volume reaching my ears (because I suffer from tinnitus) and I'm hearing a very high percentage of just the sound coming through microphones - so I can really tell what the drums are sounding like from mics perspective.

Hi Rítmico

Did you keep the same configuration of the old SQ2 black/white (shell thickness, sizes and bearing edges)?

the new kit is like this
maple shell SQ2 Blue Tribal
22x15
8x7
10x8
12x9
15x13
16x14
18x15

12x5 snare drum + 14x5 snare drum. The bearing edges are all standard except the 14" snare which is rounded (like my previous SQ2).

all the toms are 'medium' shell and the bass drum is 'heavy' shell.

I didn't love the trend towards deeper bass drums in the past years. I almost never play in situations that aren't mic'd up (so I don't need some crazy volume from it) and the deeper bass drums are harder to play because of the volume of air you have to move. So that's why I chose 15" depth.

the 15x13 is now my favourite floor tom size for a 'first' floor tom. The second floor tom I have an option of the 16" or the 18".

This is the first Blue Tribal - Sonor made it for me as a special request. (For those of you who aren't familiar with their 'Tribal' finish - it is a real wood veneer and not a plastic wrap). I don't know for sure if and when they might introduce this colour (I hope so because it looks GREAT). Also as a special request they painted the inside of each drum satin black.

Cheers
Gavin
Old 06-19-2012, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirborneSFC View Post
Congrats on the new kit! I just got the Red Tribal myself thanks in large part to seeing your performance.
What an amazing finish!!
Old 06-20-2012, 07:16 PM
Silver Member

Gavin,

Any chance you can share with us where you got the recorded arrangement of So What you played at PASIC '08?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwWoOMALJrQ

I'd loooove to have it...
Old 06-20-2012, 10:42 PM

HI Gavin,

Totally Cool Blue Tribal kit It's awesome. Please share some more Photos.
I am absolutely amazed by how much I like it as blue is not my flavor of choice. I've a Red Stain Designer and recently added Red Tribal ProLite snare. I'd love a Red Tribal kit but alas I'm still paying off my used Designer kit so for now I'll be happy with Designers and my Tribal snare, and looking at photos of other cool kits.
The Kick is a 22x16 and I would guess the difference between a 22X16 and a 22X15 is indecipherable. I rarely get to hear it from a listing position, from behind the kit it sounds good no qualms but the few times someone plays my kit and I'm out in front I am completely blown away.

Did you chose the tom mount on the bass drum for a reason or just to keep future options open or is something to do with what looks like a Mic cable going through the mount hole?
In the photo the toms are mounted into the rack legs was that for some quick photos or are you making a slight change to your rack setup?
Sorry not the most interesting questions but I'm curious.

UE
Old 06-23-2012, 05:24 AM

Hello Gavin,

First of all I can't stop listening to your 19 days performance at the MD festival it is just incredible, the cymbal and drum sound is incredible. The choice of cymbals is just fitting the song so well.

You said in an interview on dutch television that Jeff Porcaro was one of your inspirators/examples as a drummer. He is one of my biggest idols, I think he was a great drummer and his groove was just sick (Georgy Porgy anyone?). My most legendary memories go to the concert with Toto in 1990 in Le Zenith Paris. I am only 23 years old (born in 1988) but still find him as a great Idol as a drummer. How huge would you think he would be these days if we think of the technical possibilites that are possible 20 years after he is passed away? Maybe a difficult and vague question I understand, I am just interested in how you think about it.
Old 06-23-2012, 05:32 AM

Hello Gavin,

First of all I can't stop listening to your 19 days performance at the MD festival it is just incredible, the cymbal and drum sound is incredible. The choice of cymbals is just fitting the song so well.

You said in an interview on dutch television that Jeff Porcaro was one of your inspirators/examples as a drummer. He is one of my biggest idols, I think he was a great drummer and his groove was just sick (Georgy Porgy anyone?). My most legendary memories go to the concert with Toto in 1990 in Le Zenith Paris. I am only 23 years old (born in 1988) but still find him as a great Idol as a drummer. How huge would you think he would be these days if we think of the technical possibilites that are possible 20 years after he is passed away? Maybe a difficult and vague question I understand, I am just interested in how you think about it.
Old 06-23-2012, 11:17 PM

Hey Gavin,

I was just curious as to what exactly is the cover art of your album "Sanity and Gravity"? Who ended up doing your artwork?

Cheers,

- Danny
Old 06-24-2012, 09:17 PM

Hey there Gavin, I've recently been more conscious about the tightness and accuracy of my notes when I play. Your level of precision is where I set my goal to be at, are there any exercises or methods you have found useful that helped you in developing said accuracy? I think it's partially a mental thing too, like concentration and such.
Old 06-24-2012, 10:33 PM

Hey Gavin, on your latest Porcupine Tree post on Facebook I wrote 'awesome, hi gavin' and it was deleted :(

Sam
Old 06-27-2012, 12:38 AM

Hi Gavin,

Long time ago since I checked here. First, the third GH/05ric album sounds great! Enjoying the surround version a lot :) You talked about the first album being released on dvd-a too last year if I remember correctly. Is that still in the "pipeline"?

Just got your signature sticks today! Ordered them from the USA as they where not available here. They where larger and heavier then I thought but I really like the grip on them.

I wanted to travel to the UK to see one of the shows but unfortunately couldn't commit to it. Any chance that one of the gigs is recorded and will be released in any kind of way? I'm really curious how you guys pulled this off live.

Now, I do have a question regarding recording. In "the old days", a lot of recordings where done as a live band (band plays in a large room and that's recorded). Nowadays a lot of recordings evolve from musicians adding their bits and pieces from their own home studios (which seems the case for some of the projects you do). How do you find working in a way like that compared to recording (and thus interacting in real life) with a band in the studio?
I always have the idea that a bit of the "energy" is lost when recording separate. For me personally, I find it difficult to get inspired by the sound of a click and a couple of static midi sequences in a demo. A lot of music seems to get more "fire" when it is played live and I find it lost when I record. How do you try to capture that energy on a studio recording when recording at home and do you find it more difficult to record that way?

Cheers and thanks as always!
Old 06-27-2012, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HutchinsonDrummer View Post
Hey Gavin,

I was just curious as to what exactly is the cover art of your album "Sanity and Gravity"? Who ended up doing your artwork?

Cheers,

- Danny
Sorry to spoil it in advance, it is the inside of a power connector with the colors "inverted".
Similar to a connector like this:
http://www.onlinekweken.nl/Upload/82...11d881e916.jpg
Old 06-28-2012, 11:21 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi NerfLad

Any chance you can share with us where you got the recorded arrangement of So What you played at PASIC '08?

I paid some musician friends of mine to make the track.

Hi UE Nastasi

Totally Cool Blue Tribal kit It's awesome.
Did you chose the tom mount on the bass drum for a reason or just to keep future options open or is something to do with what looks like a Mic cable going through the mount hole?

I wanted the option of the bass drum tom mount so I could run a cable through it to the mic inside (without having a hole in the front head) or perhaps mounting the toms on the bass drum if I did a small session or something that required a drastically cut down drum set.

In the photo the toms are mounted into the rack legs was that for some quick photos or are you making a slight change to your rack setup?

I was just experimenting with the idea of not having a bar running across the front of the kit.

Hi sde_leeuw

thanks.

You said in an interview on dutch television that Jeff Porcaro was one of your inspirators/examples as a drummer. How huge would you think he would be these days if we think of the technical possibilites that are possible 20 years after he is passed away? Maybe a difficult and vague question I understand, I am just interested in how you think about it.

I don't really understand what you mean by 'technical possibilities'. Do you mean in recording - or drum technique?

Hi HutchinsonDrummer

yes it is just a regular power plug placed in a scanner. Artwork was by Pete Smith.

Hi Volentry

I've recently been more conscious about the tightness and accuracy of my notes when I play. Your level of precision is where I set my goal to be at, are there any exercises or methods you have found useful that helped you in developing said accuracy? I think it's partially a mental thing too, like concentration and such.

Just listening carefully and noticing the small details. I think it's a good idea to practise bass drum articulation. Find some real tongue twisters (toe twisters) and try to play them as accurate as you can.

Hi Sam Sanders

Hey Gavin, on your latest Porcupine Tree post on Facebook I wrote 'awesome, hi gavin' and it was deleted :(

I have no idea why - unless you have previously been posting videos of yourself in the comments columns and one of the other administrators banned you.

Hi SantiBanks

I wanted to travel to the UK to see one of the shows but unfortunately couldn't commit to it. Any chance that one of the gigs is recorded and will be released in any kind of way? I'm really curious how you guys pulled this off live.

we didn't record any of the shows so far - because there were only five of them - so it seemed too early to do that kind of thing.

Now, I do have a question regarding recording. In "the old days", a lot of recordings where done as a live band (band plays in a large room and that's recorded). Nowadays a lot of recordings evolve from musicians adding their bits and pieces from their own home studios (which seems the case for some of the projects you do). How do you find working in a way like that compared to recording (and thus interacting in real life) with a band in the studio?

It's more fun to all play together - and you get a much better idea of what it's going to sound like when it's finished - but a lot of those 'let's all play together' sessions ended up with everyone replacing their parts and we just kept the original drum tracks.

How do you try to capture that energy on a studio recording when recording at home and do you find it more difficult to record that way?

recording this way is of course just an illusion to the listener. You just have to try your best and hope that the producer knows what they are doing.

cheers
Gavin
Old 07-01-2012, 09:10 PM

Hi Gavin,
First all i would like to thank you for making the perfect sticks. I got one pair and unfortunately i broke the sticks. I cried that day. It's impossible to get them in India. So, I'm hoping to visit the US this fall and buy like 30-40 pairs. :)

I would like to ask you about tracking drums. How do you prefer doing them? Do you like to track them in one go - the complete song at once or do you prefer tracking them part by part?

I love your drumming. No other has drummer has had as big influence on me as you. With each of your work, i discover something new and it deeply inspires.
Thank you,
Siddhant.
Old 07-03-2012, 06:41 PM

Hey Gavin, I was wondering do Porcupine Tree have any plans for the future at the minute, whether it be tours or a new album?
Old 07-04-2012, 03:32 AM

Gavin,

I'm not sure if you know the answer to this question, but I figured you would be the best person to ask.

What is being whispered in the background on the song "The Incident"?

I've looked at hundreds of possible answers and none of them make sense.
To me it sounds like "You get to move this shovel",... I know that sounds ridiculous, but I'm racking my brain trying to figure it out. Also, maybe it's not meant to be understood or mean anything in particular.

2nd question: do you ever have days when you hate your drumset? i.e. -- you wake up and think "Oh god, do I have to play on them today?". What do you do in your free time when you're not on the drums? Besides sleep.. haha

thanks
Old 07-07-2012, 08:28 AM

Greetings from Ottawa, Canada!
I've heard you say that you remove your outside snare wires to reduce snare buzzing and improving your sound. How do you go about this? Do you cut them off with a wire cutter or is there another simpler way to remove them?
Old 07-08-2012, 01:02 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi siddhant.seth

First all i would like to thank you for making the perfect sticks. I got one pair and unfortunately i broke the sticks. I cried that day. It's impossible to get them in India. So, I'm hoping to visit the US this fall and buy like 30-40 pairs. :)

Glad you like the sticks! Sorry they're not easily available.

I would like to ask you about tracking drums. How do you prefer doing them? Do you like to track them in one go - the complete song at once or do you prefer tracking them part by part?

I play the whole song from beginning to end - unless there is a large hole where the drums aren't playing. Then I would stop the recording and move forward to where they start again.

Hi JakkP

I was wondering do Porcupine Tree have any plans for the future at the minute, whether it be tours or a new album?

there will be a new album and tour - but not for a while.

Hi euphoric_anomaly

What is being whispered in the background on the song "The Incident"? I've looked at hundreds of possible answers and none of them make sense. To me it sounds like "You get to move this shovel",... I know that sounds ridiculous, but I'm racking my brain trying to figure it out. Also, maybe it's not meant to be understood or mean anything in particular.

I don't think it's meant to be something you can clearly hear or understand. I always thought it was: "you get to board this shuttle" - although I like your version better.

2nd question: do you ever have days when you hate your drumset? i.e. -- you wake up and think "Oh god, do I have to play on them today?". What do you do in your free time when you're not on the drums? Besides sleep.. haha

I've never hated the drumset - but there have been times where I REALLY didn't feel like playing - and that usually happens at some point during a long tour when I don't feel well (heavy cold/flu or food poisoning). In my free time...I usually play the drums!!

cheers
Gavin
Old 07-08-2012, 02:33 PM

Thanks for the reply Gavin!
Also I might be getting a pair of Zildjian 13" K hats in the near future.
Whats your opinion on them? Are they durable and loud?
Old 07-09-2012, 02:20 AM

Quote:
In my free time...I usually play the drums!!
that's a good answer... and made me laugh a lot
:D
Old 07-09-2012, 02:20 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi cramin2

I've heard you say that you remove your outside snare wires to reduce snare buzzing and improving your sound. How do you go about this? Do you cut them off with a wire cutter or is there another simpler way to remove them?

I just peel them off with pliers and then file down the rough solder.

Hi JakkP

Also I might be getting a pair of Zildjian 13" K hats in the near future. Whats your opinion on them? Are they durable and loud?

I love them. I found them pretty durable - but if you need really loud hi hats - I'm sure you could find others that are louder. I tend to go for quieter hi hats as they get all over the other mics anyway.

cheers
Gavin
Old 07-11-2012, 05:33 AM

Gavin, what kind of Throne do you use?

Trying to upgrade my stock pearl throne, looking for suggestions (primarily to improve back/spine comfort).
Old 07-11-2012, 06:35 PM

Hi Gavin.
I'm from South Africa. I'm a huge fan. Hopefully we'll see you out here some time.
Anyways, I would like to ask you a question. I know it's a bit sensitive, but what is the intervalic relationship between your top/bottom snare drum heads?? Do you tune bottom tighter? how tight can I go?
Wish bands like PT and other greats would tour here. We're a bit cutoff from the rest of the world. Nevertheless you inspire through your online vids!!!!!!
You Rock!!!!
Old 07-12-2012, 07:23 AM

Hey Gavin,

I'm looking at buying a new china soon and I'm trying to recall my favorite china sounds from songs. One of the songs that sticks out most in my mind is the end of Halo where you do that groove (makes me want to get up and dance every time that I hear it). Do you happen to remember what china you used on that album?
Old 07-16-2012, 09:19 PM
Silver Member

In "The Incident" I always heard the whispering as "you -- get aboard the ship", as though people were being taken away forcibly from somewhere.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:03 PM

Hi Gavin,
What's the level you prefer to keep in each drum tracks during recording in logic? and do you avoid clipping in the master bus?
as you mentioned that you use the mic pre in mackie, how do you boost enough gain signal into your rosetta 800?
I just got the mackie onyx, direct out to DAW. so, the gain of each preamp controls the input level.
Old 07-19-2012, 06:07 PM

A question about your kits. What is your reasoning behind having medium shell toms and heavy shell bass drum, rather than the same type for each drum. What are your thoughts about the Sonor vintage shells. You played the prolite kit on the videos? Do you prefer maple or birch or?
Old 07-20-2012, 04:29 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi gibeachhead

what kind of Throne do you use?

for the last couple of years I've been using the Porter & Davies BC2 saddle on top of a Gibraltar base (because it goes quite low). If you're not familiar with the BC2 tactile monitoring system they're well worth trying. Basically - every time I hit he bass drum - I can feel it inside the stool top.

Hi diydidi

what is the intervalic relationship between your top/bottom snare drum heads?? Do you tune bottom tighter? how tight can I go?

Yes the bottom head is tighter than the top - according to my tuning device it tells me that they are about a whole tone apart. It's quite hard to hear the actual pitch of the bottom head...plus most of the time it's completely muted by the snares pressing against it so it kind of does a different job anyway. Tuning the bottom head really high will change the way the snares respond.

Hi pixelbreaker

I'm looking at buying a new china soon and I'm trying to recall my favorite china sounds from songs. One of the songs that sticks out most in my mind is the end of Halo where you do that groove (makes me want to get up and dance every time that I hear it). Do you happen to remember what china you used on that album?

Yes it was a Zildjian Z Custom China 18". Now discontinued but you might be able to still find one.

Hi communion

What's the level you prefer to keep in each drum tracks during recording in logic? and do you avoid clipping in the master bus?

I like to put about 75% into each track - get a good healthy signal but leave room for dynamics. The Apogees have a 'soft limit' button so it will never go 'over' digital maximum. It's important to not go over 'zero' on the master bus. All the others you can go over without distortion or clipping.

as you mentioned that you use the mic pre in mackie, how do you boost enough gain signal into your rosetta 800?

First I setup the amount of signal coming into the desk and get an optimal gain structure by checking each channel in solo to see if it's too low or too high. I can boost or reduce the amount being sent to the Apogees by the bus faders so it doesn't change the channel level. I monitor independent of those gains with the B Mix Level.
It's very important to get this right otherwise you could be sending too much amplified noise - or over driven signal into the computer.

Hi Mathman

A question about your kits. What is your reasoning behind having medium shell toms and heavy shell bass drum, rather than the same type for each drum. What are your thoughts about the Sonor vintage shells. You played the prolite kit on the videos? Do you prefer maple or birch or?

I'm always experimenting with shell thicknesses. My previous kit had the 'thin' shells for the toms, 'medium' shells for the floor toms and 'heavy' shell for the bass drum. Now this new kit has all 'medium' shells for all the toms and 'heavy' shell for the bass drum.
The 'medium' shell thickness is how the old Sonor Designers were made - and I still have an old Designer set which i really like the sound of - so that was my thinking process this time round. I've played many 'vintage' shell Sonor sets (and they've all been really nice) but if you really hit them hard and want to use thick heads on them (like Remo Vintage Coated Emperors) they don't really like it. In Porcupine Tree sometimes I tend to play pretty heavy - and I wanted a shell that could handle that.
I prefer Maple for the toms and bass drum.

Cheers
Gavin
Old 07-20-2012, 11:26 PM

Hi Gavin

So do use ProLite drums now and not SQ2?

Cheers

Sam
Old 07-22-2012, 07:58 PM

Hi Gavin (again!),
Regarding your recently announced Canadian tour with Sonor, are you allowed to give us more information on it? Will you be bringing Rick along? Have you any other tidbits on it, or is it too early for that?
Old 07-22-2012, 09:07 PM

Hi Gavin,

I recently got into a Studio in Berlin to record our new Album so I decided to get a new set of bottom heads on both of my snaredrums.
When I put the snares back on I noticed that when I pulled them off they where still buzzering in a way they do as if they where still on. So I adjusted them a little looser and then they didnt work in any way. Because we were playing very loud music and I did not play the snare with the snares off I put them back to the tighter level.
But so far I was not able to adjust them so I can use both sounds. I tried to keep the lever very loose then tighten the snares and the tighten the lever until the snares work but I failed with this method.
So I wanted to ask you how you adjust your snares after mounting them off completely.

I really appreciate that you answer all our questions
Thank you very much Nils
Old 07-24-2012, 09:14 PM

Hi Gavin!!!

This is my first post here, as I am a new member and all, but I wanted to first thank you for how much you've inspired me and influenced me and so many others with your playing and genuine love of music. I know you receive a lot of questions about the custom Zildijian bells you cut from broken cymbals, but as I have no broken cymbals, and don't wish to disassemble my other ones, I was looking to create a similar sound. I am thinking of a getting a 5 pc version of the Paiste Cup Chimes but have a question. What kind of stand do you use to mount yours? Is it a custom stand Zildijian made for you. I was wondering because it looks similar to the one Paiste has for theirs, but instead of holding all 5 cymbals horizontally in a row, yours has 2 on the top and 3 on a bottom row. Just wondering if you could provide any insight. Thank you so much in advance and best of wishes. :)
Old 07-25-2012, 11:34 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Sam Sanders

So do use ProLite drums now and not SQ2?

At the moment I'm playing an SQ2 set.

Hi cramin2

Regarding your recently announced Canadian tour with Sonor, are you allowed to give us more information on it? Will you be bringing Rick along? Have you any other tidbits on it, or is it too early for that?

The full details (for those who hadn't seen the announcement) are here http://gavharrison.com/news.php
Unfortunately Ric and boys won't be joining me on the clinic tour.

Hi Nils

I recently got into a Studio in Berlin to record our new Album so I decided to get a new set of bottom heads on both of my snare drums.When I put the snares back on I noticed that when I pulled them off they where still buzzering in a way they do as if they where still on. So I adjusted them a little looser and then they didnt work in any way. Because we were playing very loud music and I did not play the snare with the snares off I put them back to the tighter level.
But so far I was not able to adjust them so I can use both sounds. I tried to keep the lever very loose then tighten the snares and the tighten the lever until the snares work but I failed with this method.So I wanted to ask you how you adjust your snares after mounting them off completely.

It could be that your bottom heads are not as tight as they were before you changed them. As you're hitting the drum pretty hard the bottom head is bowing out and touching the snare wires. It's a problem I've encountered many times with certain snare strainers. The last few weeks I have been playing with the new Sonor "Dual Glide" strainer and I believe it's the best strainer I've ever used. It also has a good long 'throw' so I haven't had the problem you described. I understand that the new Sonor strainer will be sold separately so you might be able to retrofit it to your drum.

Hi PearlDrummer1993

I am thinking of a getting a 5 pc version of the Paiste Cup Chimes but have a question. What kind of stand do you use to mount yours? Is it a custom stand Zildijian made for you. I was wondering because it looks similar to the one Paiste has for theirs, but instead of holding all 5 cymbals horizontally in a row, yours has 2 on the top and 3 on a bottom row.

The holder that I use is made up of Sonor "Basic Arm" pieces. http://www.sonor.com/pbas/Sonor_FE/s...nk-n_katid=966

I had to have it modified so that the lower three mounts had threads that went all the way down to the bottom - and that way I could have two different heights.

Name:  IMG_7315.JPG
Views: 4129
Size:  106.3 KB

cheers
Gavin
Old 07-25-2012, 05:15 PM

Are you gonna change to ProLite or stick with the SQ2? Because I think you should stay with the SQ2s myself :) ALLLSSSSOOO will you be at London Drum Show this year? Not performing as such, maybe mooching around looking at new products and stuff? :)

Last edited by Sam Sanders; 07-26-2012 at 11:09 PM.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:27 PM

Hey Gavin! It's me again! I was listening to "Sentimental", off of FOABP, and came up with a question. What time sig is the intro in? I think it is 4/4, with the piano playing dotted eighth notes, but I am not sure.
Old 07-28-2012, 12:04 AM

Hey Gavin I'm kinda new on this site just like I'm new to drumming. You've been a huge source on inspiration for me in PT mostly. I love your style and you phylosophy about drumming and music in general. I used to play a lot of guitar, like for 6 or 7 years, but the thing is, to be a "good" guitarist, you have to play fast, to shred, etc... That means countless hours of forced practice and that's just not what I want. Same thing with drumming. I've seen an interview of you saying that huge solos and all that didn't impress you as it was just practice and practice and so on. That's exactly what I've been thinking since I started getting interested in drumming years ago. What's really cool is that soft snare just at the right place, etc... That's what creativity really is. I wanted to have a drum kit for the past 3 or 4 years but couldn't because of money and space. So I just bought a Pearl Vision 6 pieces along with Sabian's Xs20 and I'm impressed. Have you tried it? If so what do you think about the kit?

Hope I can see you with PT in Quebec City soon! :P
Old 07-28-2012, 12:15 AM

Hi Gavin!

Love your playing! It inspires me a lot!

Just a little question...( i am not into copying any others sound or style but i am just experimenting so i am a little curious! :) ) I love your tom sound, so... when you tune... what is the intervallic relationship beetwin the bottom and the top head?

Thanks! :)
Old 07-29-2012, 12:07 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ingvald View Post
Hi Gavin!

Love your playing! It inspires me a lot!

Just a little question...( i am not into copying any others sound or style but i am just experimenting so i am a little curious! :) ) I love your tom sound, so... when you tune... what is the intervallic relationship beetwin the bottom and the top head?

Thanks! :)
You will find the answer on www.askgavinharrison.com :)
This question has been asked a few posts before also
Old 07-30-2012, 01:57 AM

Hi Gavin. I've been playing with your signature stick for the last few months and I really like the weight and balance of it. It is by far the heaviest stick I've ever consistently used on set, but I feel like I've tried much lighter sticks that actually felt like they required more effort than yours.

I'm not crazy about the grip on the sticks, as it tends to cause the beginnings of blisters forming on my hands if I use them for an entire night of a rock gig. Do you know if there is a plan in the works of Vic Firth releasing a version without the grip?
Old 07-30-2012, 12:13 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Sam Sanders

Are you gonna change to ProLite or stick with the SQ2?

Right now I have a new Blue Tribal SQ2 at home - but I will doubtlessly be playing some ProLite sets on my up coming drum clinic tour of Canada

Name:  428866_10151952188525514_1767076716_n.jpg
Views: 3892
Size:  137.2 KB

Hi Clay_C

I was listening to "Sentimental", off of FOABP, and came up with a question. What time sig is the intro in? I think it is 4/4, with the piano playing dotted eighth notes, but I am not sure.

yes it's all in 4/4 with the piano playing a syncopated dotted 8th note rhythm at the start.

Hi SheLovesMyDrums

So I just bought a Pearl Vision 6 pieces along with Sabian's Xs20 and I'm impressed. Have you tried it? If so what do you think about the kit?

Sorry but I've never played one.

Hi ingvald

when you tune... what is the intervallic relationship beetwin the bottom and the top head?

there isn't an exact interval between the top and bottom heads. I can tell you that the bottom head is a bit tighter than the top.

Hi deadwing_007

I've been playing with your signature stick for the last few months and I really like the weight and balance of it. It is by far the heaviest stick I've ever consistently used on set, but I feel like I've tried much lighter sticks that actually felt like they required more effort than yours.I'm not crazy about the grip on the sticks, as it tends to cause the beginnings of blisters forming on my hands if I use them for an entire night of a rock gig. Do you know if there is a plan in the works of Vic Firth releasing a version without the grip?

Yes I feel like I work a lot harder with light sticks - especially playing quite loud music. I don't think they are available without the grip. I guess you could try scraping it off with a knife and see how you like it without the grip?

Cheers
Gavin