DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 05-10-2012, 12:04 PM

Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

@Arky

Yea, I have seen that, but what I mean - it seems like those aren't the custom cymbals made by himself anymore. I'm talking about those that he uses nowadays, cuz in the past they were surely custom-made. Now - they all have full ZIldjian logo, and Zildjian doesn't place the logo so close to bell on it's crashes etc. So it looks like those aren't chimes that Gavin made himself anymore, but some new that Zildjian made for him. That's what I'm curious of : p.
Old 05-10-2012, 03:58 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi section8usmc

I absolutely love your Vic Firth signature sticks. My favorite color too ! They just feel so right. So versatile. Great job ! They are my favorites overall, and I have a lot of styles, all Vics of course.

thanks - I'm really enjoying playing them too.

Hi heaven'stef

Did Sonor customise the 3 holders for you or did you do it yourself? Or should I ask, would it be possible to customise them myself?

Sonor did it for me - but you could do it yourself if you have the correct tools. You need to make the thread go all the way to the bottom - then you can cut off the excess off the top.

Hi Meksyk

You've said before you have made them yourself - but those 5 chimes you play nowadays seem to have a full "Zildjian" logo. It is pretty unusual for a 14" and bigger cymbals to have the "Zildjian" logo so close to the bell. Are those some new chimes, that Zildjian made for you? If so, is there any way of buying them :)? They should make that "Gavin Harrison signature chimes"!

yes I made the original set myself - and then I sent them to Zildjian and they made a couple of sets for me. That's why the logo is there - but I don't believe they make them for general sale - sorry.

cheers
Gavin
Old 05-10-2012, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Harrison View Post
Hi Meksyk

yes I made the original set myself - and then I sent them to Zildjian and they made a couple of sets for me. That's why the logo is there - but I don't believe they make them for general sale - sorry.

Aww, such a pity :<. By the way, could you give us your current cymbals setup? I'm confused, because Wikipedia, Zildjian site and your official site - all say different things :p.
Old 05-11-2012, 12:48 AM

Hey Gavin,

I noticed on the photo of your chimes that on the hi-hat is written "Lab prototype".

Are you "testing" new hihats for Zildjian?

Cheers,
Dre
Old 05-12-2012, 08:04 AM

Quote:
You've said before you have made them yourself - but those 5 chimes you play nowadays seem to have a full "Zildjian" logo. It is pretty unusual for a 14" and bigger cymbals to have the "Zildjian" logo so close to the bell. Are those some new chimes, that Zildjian made for you? If so, is there any way of buying them :)? They should make that "Gavin Harrison signature chimes"!

cheers
Gavin
It was a possibility at one point that they were considering making them for mass consumption though? I thought I remember hearing when they first made them for you, that there was potential for a general retail release?

I've been listening to Storm Corrosion and was curious if when Steven and Mikael sent you the music if they told you specifically what they had in mind for the percussion work, and didn't want anything to stray from their idea? Or if they gave you a basis and you free-styled it based on those specifications?
Old 05-12-2012, 03:52 PM

Gavin,

I had a question about recording songs. What instruments usually get recorded first? Does it change often and does it depend on who you're recording with? (I.e. - PT or you an 05Ric).

Also, the rapid fill you play on Illusion @ 3:27 sounds like multiple triplet flams with double bass in between. Very eclectic fill!

Thanks for your time :)
Old 05-12-2012, 11:07 PM

Default Re: Gavin Harrison

Hi Gavin,

I am learning The Sound Of Muzak, and for practise I am following what you play on your modern drummer version (as best I can). I don't suppose you have a drumless or vocal track? That'd really be great :) oh and also if its not too much to ask, do you have a transription for that fill you do into the first chorus in you modern drummer version? look forward to hearing from you soon

All the Best

Sam

P.S. Rhythmic Designs is really great :D

Last edited by Sam Sanders; 05-16-2012 at 08:55 AM.
Old 05-16-2012, 02:50 AM

Thanks, Gavin and Terry, for the advice and transcription!
Old 05-16-2012, 04:02 AM

Hi Gavin,

I know that the question of playing live or touring with OSI has come up a few times in the past couple of years. In a recent interview with Jim Matheos, he commented about, among the different topics, the recent label switch to Metal Blade and the positive feedback with regards to the new disc. Although he went on to say that playing live wouldn't be the easiest thing to pull off, he wasn't they weren't ruling it out.
With P.T. on a bit of an extended break, (your upcoming tour with 05Ric, notwithstanding) and the potential support of a bigger label, has any "serious" talk about playing live been brought up for either later on in the year or at some point in the not too distant future?

thanks!
mc
Old 05-17-2012, 03:02 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Meksyk

By the way, could you give us your current cymbals setup? I'm confused, because Wikipedia, Zildjian site and your official site - all say different things :p.

The Wiki one is probably the most accurate in terms of what I use with Porcupine Tree - but I do change (from time to time) my hi hats, ride cymbals and crashes. For instance at the moment - here in my studio I am using a pair of 14" K Constantinople hi hats - a 19" K Custom Dark crash - an 18" Armand Crash - a 20" Custom Dark Complex ride plus the usual chinas and bell cymbals.

Hi Drizzle

I noticed on the photo of your chimes that on the hi-hat is written "Lab prototype".Are you "testing" new hihats for Zildjian?

No - these are the new K Constantinople Hi Hats 14" (the final prototypes before they were released) so they are the same as the ones you'll find in the shops. Very good they are too!!!

Hi gibeachhead

It was a possibility at one point that they were considering making them for mass consumption though? I thought I remember hearing when they first made them for you, that there was potential for a general retail release?

It's always a possibility.

I've been listening to Storm Corrosion and was curious if when Steven and Mikael sent you the music if they told you specifically what they had in mind for the percussion work, and didn't want anything to stray from their idea? Or if they gave you a basis and you free-styled it based on those specifications?

They pretty much knew exactly what they wanted. The only thing I really added was a few mad drum fills in one song.

Hi euphoric_anomaly

I had a question about recording songs. What instruments usually get recorded first? Does it change often and does it depend on who you're recording with? (I.e. - PT or you an 05Ric).

It normally starts with who's writing it. If it's a song Steve is writing then probably he'll record some guitar or piano. Then he might add some other things - so when I get to record I'm usually playing to a demo - and some (or all of that demo) might get replaced later on. It might turn out that my drums are the first of the things that end up being final. Does that make sense? I might even rerecord the drums after I've heard what everyone else is playing on top - because maybe I can find a better part that fits the overall picture. So it's a kind of ever evolving demo - into the final thing.

Also, the rapid fill you play on Illusion @ 3:27 sounds like multiple triplet flams with double bass in between. Very eclectic fill!

I don't know what song you mean. What is "Illusion"?

Hi Sam Sanders

I am learning The Sound Of Muzak, and for practise I am following what you play on your modern drummer version (as best I can). I don't suppose you have a drumless or vocal track? That'd really be great :) oh and also if its not too much to ask, do you have a transription for that fill you do into the first chorus in you modern drummer version?

I can't give you the recording of that song. There is however a drum-less (and vocal-less) version of it out there somewhere made by a German Drum magazine called Drumheads. They recorded a play along version that was once on their cover mount CD a few years ago.

Hi tradgrip

I know that the question of playing live or touring with OSI has come up a few times in the past couple of years. In a recent interview with Jim Matheos, he commented about, among the different topics, the recent label switch to Metal Blade and the positive feedback with regards to the new disc. Although he went on to say that playing live wouldn't be the easiest thing to pull off, he wasn't they weren't ruling it out.
With P.T. on a bit of an extended break, (your upcoming tour with 05Ric, notwithstanding) and the potential support of a bigger label, has any "serious" talk about playing live been brought up for either later on in the year or at some point in the not too distant future?

I'd love to play live with them - and it's been a source of discussion between us - but there's nothing to report at the moment.

cheers
Gavin
Old 05-17-2012, 03:32 PM

Gavin,
Sorry for the confusion. The fill I was referring to was on the "water slips" song from ur newest album w Ric. I guess my media player incorrectly labeled it as illusion. I have no idea why it would do that. Haha

Thanks
Old 05-17-2012, 11:51 PM

Cheers Gavin, I wasn't expecting any kind of drumless track at all so thats made my day :D thank you ever so much!

Sorry to keep on, but is there a chance you or Mr. Branam have that first MD Sound of Muzak fill transcribed at all?

Thanks again

Sam
Old 05-18-2012, 12:42 AM
Silver Member

Gavin,

Thanks for taking the time to answer so many questions!

What was it like playing the Buddy Memorial? I've long considered these events the "Super Bowl of drumming". Did they film for a home video release?

Thanks!

-Huge Fan
Old 05-18-2012, 12:47 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay_C View Post
Gavin
I was listening to Bonnie the Cat, and was wondering how you feel the main groove of that song. To me it seems like a bar of 7/8, a bar of 5/8, and a bar of 2/4. This all adds up to 4/4 time, but what's the best way, in your mind, to feel this? Regardless, it's still an extremely tasteful groove!
The way I hear it is a 7 and a 9, with the vocals keeping the 4/4 time (the "ands" during the 7 and then the downbeats during the 9).

(sorry for the double post)
Old 05-18-2012, 12:50 AM
Platinum Member

There appears to be a real market for drum-less tracks.

I respectfully suggest looking into that market...I think $ could be made releasing either a multi-tracked version of songs where the purchaser could drop out the tracks he cares to or simple mixes with specific instrument dropped out.

I would also consider the idea of a DVD showing the actual studio recorded performance(s)...

Specialty releases with a target market of musicians...all at a near criminal elevated price...which I and many others would likely pay...with a smile while we hold our hands in the air during the mugging : ).

...could then have a sponsor flip the bill for a competition showing the best substitution parts.(drums, guitar, vocal, bass, keyboard, kazoo...etc)...great advertising for the sponsor as well as Porcupine Tree/05ric...whatever other project.

Your playing as well as the playing of the musicians you gravitate to REALLY appeals to the musician crowd amongst many other crowds...and I for one would love an expanded interactive experience...at a price range I would expect to be well beyond a usual CD/DVD.

Thanks for all the etudes!
Old 05-18-2012, 02:17 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Sanders View Post
Sorry to keep on, but is there a chance you or Mr. Branam have that first MD Sound of Muzak fill transcribed at all?
Is this the fill you mean?

It's the one on THIS video at 0:56.

I haven't really written anything down in a while, but I'm pretty sure it's something like this.

Fox.
Attached Images

Old 05-18-2012, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by euphoric_anomaly View Post
Gavin,
Sorry for the confusion. The fill I was referring to was on the "water slips" song from ur newest album w Ric. I guess my media player incorrectly labeled it as illusion. I have no idea why it would do that. Haha

Thanks
My physical copy of "The Man Who Sold Himself" has the ninth track listed as "Illusion" although Kscope site has it as "Water Slips". http://www.kscopemusic.com/gavinharr...hosoldhimself/

This is a bit confusing. Perhaps Gavin could tell us which one is meant to be the final name of the song? :)
Old 05-18-2012, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurish View Post
My physical copy of "The Man Who Sold Himself" has the ninth track listed as "Illusion" although Kscope site has it as "Water Slips". http://www.kscopemusic.com/gavinharr...hosoldhimself/

This is a bit confusing. Perhaps Gavin could tell us which one is meant to be the final name of the song? :)
Ah ha! Nice to know I'm not the only one who thought track 9 was Illusion. I was wondering why I couldn't find water slips on the album, thought I got ripped off one song lol.
Old 05-18-2012, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox622003 View Post
Is this the fill you mean?

It's the one on THIS video at 0:56.

Fox.
Fox mate you are a star!! I almost had it, but I think you are right there with the double snare hit, which was the part I couldn't get!

All the best

Sam
Old 05-19-2012, 10:13 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi euphoric_anomaly

Sorry for the confusion. The fill I was referring to was on the "water slips" song from ur newest album w Ric. I guess my media player incorrectly labeled it as illusion. I have no idea why it would do that.

OK now I've understood. The song was originally called "Water Slips" but it got changed to "Illusion" right at the last moment...and that's why I didn't recognise it. So to answer your original question...yes that fill is triplet flams - with double bass drum hits in between it. An idea I stole from my buddy Roger Biwandu.

Hi NerfLad

What was it like playing the Buddy Memorial? I've long considered these events the "Super Bowl of drumming". Did they film for a home video release?

It was absolutely amazing. I had a great time and played "Sister Sadie", "Love For Sale" and my version of "Killer Joe" (arranged by Laurence Cottle). It was great to see all the other drummers play with a big band - and Dave Weckl was mind blowing!

The show wasn't filmed because the budget for it was just too expensive. On top of the costs of film crew and everyone getting a fee, many of the prestigious venues in the world will charge an 'origination fee' for it being shot in their venue. We've come across this many times with PT. We might have a concert that we want to film in a really amazing venue and then we find out that the venue wants many 10's of thousands of dollars because it will be released as "PT Live at venue X" or whatever.

Hi Otto

I respectfully suggest looking into that market...I think $ could be made releasing either a multi-tracked version of songs where the purchaser could drop out the tracks he cares to or simple mixes with specific instrument dropped out.

I believe something like this already exists. I was shown a demo of it a couple of years ago as an app on an iPad. They had secured some songs from some famous bands and had it in virtual multi track form so that you could drop out one or more instruments.
I can't remember what it was called. Maybe someone can help us out here?

We don't really film our studio recording performances either. I think it would stifle the creative process to have folks there with cameras pointing at you the whole time. It makes you feel uncomfortable. We did a tiny bit of that when we recorded The Incident.

I think also that we want to make the music for the music sake and not really for educational purposes. I have gone through some PT drum stuff on my DVD Rhythmic Horizons - and dissected and demonstrated a whole load of stuff from my first two albums with 05Ric (Rhythmic Designs book/DVD) long after the albums were released.

It nice that you suggest we could charge 'criminally elevated prices' for it - and that there maybe a few who would pay it to make the thing worthwhile. But I sadly know the truth of anything you make in the digital domain these days will be shared for free by the vast majority of people would end up with it. That's not a reason to not do it - but it does dampen enthusiasm a bit.
The very first day that my new record with 05Ric came out - in fact that very morning - someone decided to upload every track onto YouTube.

cheers from Moscow!!!
Gavin
Old 05-19-2012, 02:01 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
The very first day that my new record with 05Ric came out - in fact that very morning - someone decided to upload every track onto YouTube.
That's pretty sad indeed!

I remember on the sonor days masterclass you said you (or PT?) pays people to search the internet and remove live performance videos from you and stuff.
Couldn't they search for the stuff of you and 05ric as well?

Maybe you also reported the uploader?
Old 05-19-2012, 03:11 PM
Platinum Member

Hi Gavin,

I hope this message finds you well, & you're enjoying Moscow :)

Do you think you'll get the chance to pop into the London Drum show this year? (Olympia, October 13th/14th)?

Best regards, Andy.
Old 05-19-2012, 11:43 PM

Hey Gavin,

Do you know George Fredericks? If so do you think you will be on the drum academy any time soon? :P

Sam
Old 05-20-2012, 02:07 AM

Hey Gavin,
First may I just say you are my primary drumming inspiration, your drumming is just so subtle and classy, which I find very impressive. As a teenager myself I know a lot of similarly-aged drummers who have yet to overcome the whole 'speed / crowd-pleasing / showy-offy' playing.
But anyway, the reason I am posting:
I wanted to play your piece '19 Days' for my drum exam and recital and the end of the year. Hudson provides a chart and a sampled backing track. I think the sampled instruments really ruin the piece... I was wondering if I could possibly obtain the version (with real instruments) you play along to in your DVD and live? That would be fantastic!
Many thanks. Oliver Iacono.
Old 05-20-2012, 03:25 PM

Privet Gavin! :)
Hi People!

The program is called Jammit. I was able to buy
Neal Pearlt's original drum part of Tom Sawyer.

You can slow down even some specific parts and s
follow drum score. It's really great.

Cheers,

Vladimer

Quote:
Hi euphoric_anomaly

Sorry for the confusion. The fill I was referring to was on the "water slips" song from ur newest album w Ric. I guess my media player incorrectly labeled it as illusion. I have no idea why it would do that.

OK now I've understood. The song was originally called "Water Slips" but it got changed to "Illusion" right at the last moment...and that's why I didn't recognise it. So to answer your original question...yes that fill is triplet flams - with double bass drum hits in between it. An idea I stole from my buddy Roger Biwandu.

Hi NerfLad

It was absolutely amazing. I had a great time and played "Sister Sadie", "Love For Sale" and my version of "Killer Joe" (arranged by Laurence Cottle). It was great to see all the other drummers play with a big band - and Dave Weckl was mind blowing!

The show wasn't filmed because the budget for it was just too expensive. On top of the costs of film crew and everyone getting a fee, many of the prestigious venues in the world will charge an 'origination fee' for it being shot in their venue. We've come across this many times with PT. We might have a concert that we want to film in a really amazing venue and then we find out that the venue wants many 10's of thousands of dollars because it will be released as "PT Live at venue X" or whatever.

Hi Otto

I believe something like this already exists. I was shown a demo of it a couple of years ago as an app on an iPad. They had secured some songs from some famous bands and had it in virtual multi track form so that you could drop out one or more instruments.
I can't remember what it was called. Maybe someone can help us out here?

We don't really film our studio recording performances either. I think it would stifle the creative process to have folks there with cameras pointing at you the whole time. It makes you feel uncomfortable. We did a tiny bit of that when we recorded The Incident.

I think also that we want to make the music for the music sake and not really for educational purposes. I have gone through some PT drum stuff on my DVD Rhythmic Horizons - and dissected and demonstrated a whole load of stuff from my first two albums with 05Ric (Rhythmic Designs book/DVD) long after the albums were released.

It nice that you suggest we could charge 'criminally elevated prices' for it - and that there maybe a few who would pay it to make the thing worthwhile. But I sadly know the truth of anything you make in the digital domain these days will be shared for free by the vast majority of people would end up with it. That's not a reason to not do it - but it does dampen enthusiasm a bit.

cheers from Moscow!!!
Gavin
Old 05-23-2012, 03:01 AM
Silver Member

Gavin,

What went through your mind when you dropped a stick on Letterman? I would not have handled it as cooly and quickly as you certainly did!!
Old 05-23-2012, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NerfLad View Post
Gavin,

What went through your mind when you dropped a stick on Letterman? I would not have handled it as cooly and quickly as you certainly did!!
I watched that performance several times and not once noticed any stick dropping. Guess that shows just how good Gavin is at what he does.
Old 05-23-2012, 11:12 PM

Quote:
The way I hear it is a 7 and a 9, with the vocals keeping the 4/4 time (the "ands" during the 7 and then the downbeats during the 9).

(sorry for the double post)
I was thinking the same thing. 7 and 9 (or 4+5).
Old 05-24-2012, 12:11 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibeachhead View Post
I watched that performance several times and not once noticed any stick dropping. Guess that shows just how good Gavin is at what he does.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99ATD...ure=plpp_video

You can see it at 2:30.

There's a lesson in that for me. I usually try to save the stick instead of just letting it go and grabbing another one. Nice work!
Old 05-24-2012, 01:57 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99ATD...ure=plpp_video

You can see it at 2:30.

There's a lesson in that for me. I usually try to save the stick instead of just letting it go and grabbing another one. Nice work!
Indeed he did. In the next bit they switch to an overhead shot and you can see the stick on the floor next to him on the right (between him and his 15" tom). Great eyes! I don't know how many times I've watched that video and never noticed.

Mr. Harrison, as high as my opinion of you already was, it's that much higher having finally seen that. Great recovery!
Old 05-24-2012, 08:46 PM

Hi Gavin,

I noticed you've mentioned New Breed as one of your favorite books. When working on a system, how do you know when to move on? When is 'slow enough' or 'fast enough' before you move on? Anything else you can share about working on New Breed would be great too!

Thanks Gavin!
Old 05-26-2012, 12:49 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi keep it simple

Do you think you'll get the chance to pop into the London Drum show this year? (Olympia, October 13th/14th)?

I won't be in the country at that time this year. It's a brilliant show though.

Hi Sam Sanders

Do you know George Fredericks? If so do you think you will be on the drum academy any time soon? :P

Yes I've known George for about 20 years - and what a great guy he is. He has invited me to his drum academy a few times in the past but I've never been able to attend. Let's hope I can in the future.

Hi keygenftw

I wanted to play your piece '19 Days' for my drum exam and recital and the end of the year. Hudson provides a chart and a sampled backing track. I think the sampled instruments really ruin the piece... I was wondering if I could possibly obtain the version (with real instruments) you play along to in your DVD and live? That would be fantastic!

Sorry but it's not possible to have that version. I made a 'midi' version so folks could play along to it - and even load it into a sequencer and change the tempo or loop certain parts or even rearrange it if they so wish. From the midi score you could get a load of musicians to come and play it for you. Maybe other players at school?

Hi NerfLad

What went through your mind when you dropped a stick on Letterman?I usually try to save the stick instead of just letting it go and grabbing another one

It was "sod's law". If it can go wrong it will go wrong. Whilst rehearsing for that solo at home I don't think I once dropped a stick...but when you're on live TV in front of millions of people - that's when you drop it. I was mentally prepared (from years of experience) that some things were going to go wrong - but the only important thing is to just carry on and not get distracted by it. Robert Fripp used to say (just before King Crimson concerts) "There will be mistakes tonight - so let's just try to make a better class of mistake"
There wasn't a way to 'save it'. It flew out of my hand at very fast speed and went about 10 feet behind the kit. The stick you see on the floor from the overhead shot is just another spare one.

Hi paulegavin

I noticed you've mentioned New Breed as one of your favorite books. When working on a system, how do you know when to move on? When is 'slow enough' or 'fast enough' before you move on? Anything else you can share about working on New Breed would be great too!

The best lesson for me was the first one. Playing 16ths on one (or two) hi hats with both hands simultaneously and then playing the 'melody line' on the bass drum. Trying to do that without and flams between the hands or feet is really hard - and very helpful. I still practise it today.

Cheers
Gavin

here's a little bit of our rehearsals for the upcoming tour with 05Ric. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0wUkyER8Gs
Old 05-26-2012, 03:30 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Hi keep it simple

I won't be in the country at that time this year. It's a brilliant show though.
That's a shame, but great that you're busy. Hope to meet up on the 5th in Cardiff :) I'm looking forward to that.

Andy.
Old 05-28-2012, 08:32 PM

Hey Gav - quick question which I kind of feel nervous about asking but going for it!

I'm in the process of trying to collect signed drumsticks (got 3 pairs so far!) and I have a ticket for your Cardiff show which I'm hugely excited for.

If I bring along a pair of your signature sticks, would there be an opportunity to get them signed and maybe get a photo? Would make my year!

Thanks!
Old 05-28-2012, 11:45 PM

Happy Birthday Gavin!
Wish you all the best and a lot of success,luck and health for the future!

Btw:Today is my birthday,too;)

Chris
Old 05-29-2012, 01:24 AM
Gold Member

Happy Birthday Gavin! Thanks for answer millions of the same questions over.... and over... and over.... :D

Oh, and happy birthday to you too Chris!

-Jonathan

and a like facebook.com/tylordorytrio
Old 05-29-2012, 02:53 AM

Gavin,

Let's compare 3 songs you've done where they are all in 4/4 but don't sound anything like 4/4. The songs I'd like to compare are "Swerve", "Beyond the A" and "OWN".

In swerve it sounds like you're using displacement to change the 'downbeat' on some of the bars.
I have a hard time keeping up with the changing accents.

In beyond the a - it sounds like difficult phrasing was in play to change the overall beat.

In OWN - well...let's just say its beyond difficult to tap my foot too. I cannot even find the "one" in some of the verses/choruses.

My question is this: When writing/playing drum beats in which you don't want it to sound like 4/4 do you have to play a lot of odd-time signatures in order to "add up" to 4/4? (Example: unsettled's 9/9/9/5= 32/8 mathematical equation). Just curious as to how you put it all together and not lose the underlying 4/4 rhythym.

Sorry if my question was hard to understand, I didn't know exactly how to phrase it hahahah pun intended :)

Thanks
Eric
Old 05-31-2012, 10:35 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pass.of.E.r.a. View Post
Happy Birthday Gavin! Thanks for answer millions of the same questions over.... and over... and over.... :D

Oh, and happy birthday to you too Chris!

-Jonathan
HAHA, yea I agree. A big Thanks and Happy Birthday!
Old 06-01-2012, 01:51 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi tompain100

I'm in the process of trying to collect signed drumsticks (got 3 pairs so far!) and I have a ticket for your Cardiff show which I'm hugely excited for. If I bring along a pair of your signature sticks, would there be an opportunity to get them signed and maybe get a photo? Would make my year!

sure thing - no problem.

Hi euphoric_anomaly

My question is this: When writing/playing drum beats in which you don't want it to sound like 4/4 do you have to play a lot of odd-time signatures in order to "add up" to 4/4? (Example: unsettled's 9/9/9/5= 32/8 mathematical equation). Just curious as to how you put it all together and not lose the underlying 4/4 rhythym.

In the examples that you mentioned. "Swerve" is just a load of displacements to sound like the beat is getting turned around. "Beyond The A" - I actually think of it as (9+7) (9+7) (9+7) (7+9). "Own" is just a sticking and accent of 5/16s - but I hear it as a syncopation in 4/4. Same thing with the intro of "Unsettled". In all of the examples I always know where I am within the 4/4 framework.

cheers
Gavin
Old 06-01-2012, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Hi tompain100

I'm in the process of trying to collect signed drumsticks (got 3 pairs so far!) and I have a ticket for your Cardiff show which I'm hugely excited for. If I bring along a pair of your signature sticks, would there be an opportunity to get them signed and maybe get a photo? Would make my year!

sure thing - no problem.
Hero! So stoked for this show - it's going to be awesome!