DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 03-01-2012, 03:57 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

Would someone recommend an online store for buying The man who sold himself as mp3 download? I believe I've tried 4 or 5 different stores now, but apparently downloads aren't available in my country, I live in sweden. Help!
Old 03-04-2012, 09:04 PM

Hi Gavin,

Me and a friend had an endless argument about the time signature of "The Sound Of Muzak". At first we both thought the song was in 7/4, but after a video a found on youtube about the concept of overriding odd time signatures ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2ReDqc3aFs ) I had understood the song actually is in 7/8 with a quarter note override (so I also state that override does NOT change the time signature). My friend however, listen more to the song as a whole, and states that if you listen to it as a 7/8, you won't find an accent of the first note of the second bar. He says that the only thing you might count in 7/8 is the kick/snare pattern, but the rest of the instruments makes it a 7/4 song. It sounds plausible to me, but the way you keep speaking of two bars in that video, and the fact that you tick 7 eights notes before starting still makes me believe the song actually is in 7/8 but with a little illusion to make it sound like it's in 7/4. So, dear Gavin, help us out and tell us if the song is in 7/8 or 7/4!
Old 03-04-2012, 09:16 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gekko12482 View Post
Hi Gavin,

Me and a friend had an endless argument about the time signature of "The Sound Of Muzak". At first we both thought the song was in 7/4, but after a video a found on youtube about the concept of overriding odd time signatures ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2ReDqc3aFs ) I had understood the song actually is in 7/8 with a quarter note override (so I also state that override does NOT change the time signature). My friend however, listen more to the song as a whole, and states that if you listen to it as a 7/8, you won't find an accent of the first note of the second bar. He says that the only thing you might count in 7/8 is the kick/snare pattern, but the rest of the instruments makes it a 7/4 song. It sounds plausible to me, but the way you keep speaking of two bars in that video, and the fact that you tick 7 eights notes before starting still makes me believe the song actually is in 7/8 but with a little illusion to make it sound like it's in 7/4. So, dear Gavin, help us out and tell us if the song is in 7/8 or 7/4!
To answer your question... 7/4 is just two bars of 7/8. It's more in the way it's felt rather than the way it's counted if that makes any sense. They're both technically the same thing, it's whether the emphasis resides with the set of 7 eighth notes or looking at the entire measure of 7/4 as a musical phrase so it flows more smoothly. You can nitpick all day but it could easily be viewed or counted as either.
Old 03-05-2012, 12:42 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Kalma

Here's a little snippet from my 14" Drum Mic. No EQ or something:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17340676/tom14.mp3
Is this the amount you also have on those mics when you haven't edited anything?

It's hard to tell from that because I don't know how loud your tom is in relation to the background.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhlq4...eature=related
On 0:48 - what's that above your 16" tom mic?

It's a Primacoustic CrashGuard.

Hi Jeffx

After looking at the equipment on your website, I wondered why your 14 x 5 snare is made out of birch, and the 12 x 5 out of maple. Is there a big difference between these wood types? If so, could you describe the difference in sound?
I am also curious about your thought on beech shells.

To me Birch has a slightly more EQ'd sound about it (more highs and lows) whereas Maple seems more open and natural. Just my impression. I have never played any Beech drums.

Hi K_HiHats

1)That question being, is there a definite time signature for Occam's Razor/ Degree Zero of Liberty.

Are you talking about the hits at the beginning of the tunes? There is a 4/4 pulse running through them so we can all play them together.

2) Do you think that PT will still continue to play "The Incident" as just as single song on your next tour? I mean, it could be odd in that regard, as it was meant to be heard as one 54 minute long piece (or however long it is), but then you have songs that can stand alone such as "Time Flies" and "The Blind House." I think it could be done, though, as it's really a good song.

I don't think so. We played it many times on the last tour.

3) Unrelated to The Incident, do you happen to know why PT never released XMII as a download, whereas the original XM was? I've listened to it on Grooveshark and a few songs from it on youtube, and I gotta say it'd be cool to have. So do you know why?

I've no idea.

Hi Rítmico

I was watching your DVD "Rhythmic Visions". I believe that you was playing in a Sonor Delite drumset. What‘s the difference in sound in the studio recording betwen the delites and your SQ2 Euro set?

I think my SQ2 Euro set has a bit more punch and volume in it. It's hard to say as I no longer have that blue DeLight so I can't compare them side by side.

Hi Sjogras

Would someone recommend an online store for buying The man who sold himself as mp3 download? I believe I've tried 4 or 5 different stores now, but apparently downloads aren't available in my country, I live in sweden. Help!

iTunes and Amazon don't have it?

Hi Gekko12482

Me and a friend had an endless argument about the time signature of "The Sound Of Muzak". So, dear Gavin, help us out and tell us if the song is in 7/8 or 7/4!

It doesn't actually matter what the time signature is - a time signature is only there to help you play it - the listener doesn't need to know where I might be drawing in the bar lines. In some of the pieces with 05Ric I put bar lines in all sorts of strange places because it makes the song easier to play and understand (to me). Ric quite often uses different time signatures to me - in the same song. You might hear it and understand it as something else. When Terry Branam made the transcriptions for the first two albums of me and 05Ric I was quite surprised sometimes where he was hearing the downbeats. We had a lot of discussions about that and in the end chose the easiest to read options. For instance if you had a song in 7/4 and there was a 4 bar section that had a lot of hard syncopation in it - you might prefer to write it out as 7 bars of 4/4. For what it's worth - I think of the Sound Of Muzak in 7/8 although the bass to snare drum pattern is actually 7/16.

cheers
Gavin
Old 03-05-2012, 02:45 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Harrison View Post
iTunes and Amazon don't have it?
I don't use iTunes. Amazon does have it, but downloads aren't available in Sweden so I ordered a physical copy instead. Can't wait!
Quote:
...although the bass to snare drum pattern is actually 7/16.
Wow, that is really clever, I never noticed it! I always thought TSOM as 7/4 though, since the open hi-hat followed by the snare on beat 7 kind of wraps up the bar. Consequently, I had a hard time understanding why you were calling the accented quarter notes overriding when I saw that clinic video.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:52 PM

Hey Gavin.. I read through this whole thread and I thought I'd reply and say thanks for posting here. My only knowledge of your playing was through some youtube videos I'd seen.. Thanks to this thread I've gone out and bought 3 Porcupine Tree records and I'll definitely be picking up your instructional DVDs/books.

I have a question on storage.. You've stated that you've got quite a big collection of snare drums, cymbals, etc. On previous replies I think I saw that you store these items in your garage. So, is your garage climate controlled? Or do you have some kind of storage box or system that will keep your gear cool in the hot months and warm in the cooler months? Any tips on dealing with humidity?

Thanks,
Old 03-11-2012, 09:03 PM

Gavin: I've always had trouble with limb independence, specifically using my left foot to work the hi-hat while I'm playing the ride. (Example: what you're doing during the chorus of "The Sound of Muzak" in this video.) Weirdly, I could play bass drum with either foot if I had to, but getting my left foot to operate independent of my right foot or my left hand is a real challenge for me.

Does that kind of thing just come naturally to good drummers, or is it something you had to concentrate on when you started? Any suggestions for getting better at it? Thanks!

Tracey
Old 03-12-2012, 11:35 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmccartney View Post
Gavin: I've always had trouble with limb independence, specifically using my left foot to work the hi-hat while I'm playing the ride. (Example: what you're doing during the chorus of "The Sound of Muzak" in this video.) Weirdly, I could play bass drum with either foot if I had to, but getting my left foot to operate independent of my right foot or my left hand is a real challenge for me.

Does that kind of thing just come naturally to good drummers, or is it something you had to concentrate on when you started? Any suggestions for getting better at it? Thanks!

Tracey
This question fits better in Drum technique... But yes, it does come naturally. I find The sound of muzak particularly hard with maintaining 1/8 notes on the left foot. The only way to get better at it is to actually do it, so just keep your left foot going whenever you're not playing the hi-hat with your hand, as long as it fits the musical context of course.
Old 03-12-2012, 05:41 PM

Hi Gavin!

My question is about the Basic Sonor Arm System. Recently, I got a few cracked cymbals (Paiste Formula 602 hihats, and some other stuff), and a friend of mine is gonna cut them down with a CNC-machine so I could use them as "bells-chimes". The cymbal stand is the tricky part. I could recreate a basic version of your old quite famous cup-chime-bell thingee-holder, but it would take too much time away from work and other stuff going on in my life lately. So I decided to order the Sonor-version of the cymbal-holder.

I'd think that yours is something like this:
1pc BR12 MC Basic Rack, with Arm
5pc BA-CH Basic Arm Cymbal Holder

Is it something like that? And are the BA-CH arms adjustable? Meaning can you adjust one to a shorter version, so the bell is more lower, and adjust the other to have a longer "arm" to use the other bell (next to the previous one) higher? Or did you have to cut the arm down, and recut the threads?

My version will only have 3-4 bell-like cymbals, the last one will stay my old faithful Sabian HHX Evolution splash. I hope the BR12 is a long enough arm for 4-5 of these BA-CHs.

Thank you in advance for your time!
Cheers,
Matthew
Old 03-12-2012, 06:48 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi xxdrexx

You've stated that you've got quite a big collection of snare drums, cymbals, etc. On previous replies I think I saw that you store these items in your garage. So, is your garage climate controlled? Or do you have some kind of storage box or system that will keep your gear cool in the hot months and warm in the cooler months? Any tips on dealing with humidity?

I do keep a load of stuff in the garage - but it's not climate controlled. The drums are wrapped up and inside cases so they never get that cold. In never gets crazy hot in England for any length of time so overheating isn't really an issue.

Hi tmccartney

I've always had trouble with limb independence, specifically using my left foot to work the hi-hat while I'm playing the ride. Does that kind of thing just come naturally to good drummers, or is it something you had to concentrate on when you started? Any suggestions for getting better at it? Thanks!

Can you play 8ths on the hi hat foot whilst playing the same 8ths on the ride? How about 8ths on the ride and the in between 16ths with the left foot on the hi hat? Then try putting a bass drum on 1 &3 and a snare on 2 & 4.
Independence is something that gets better with practice of course.

Hi szokematyi

I'd think that yours is something like this:
1pc BR12 MC Basic Rack, with Arm
5pc BA-CH Basic Arm Cymbal Holder

You might need a BA-CR to get from the stand to the bar.

Is it something like that? And are the BA-CH arms adjustable? Meaning can you adjust one to a shorter version, so the bell is more lower, and adjust the other to have a longer "arm" to use the other bell (next to the previous one) higher? Or did you have to cut the arm down, and recut the threads?

I had have the threads cut right down to the bottom for the low mounted cymbals. You might not need it if you can get them all in a line.

Cheers
Gavin
Old 03-13-2012, 12:47 AM

Gavin,

What do you think about the prospect of someone making a living as drummer despite the rapid changes that have happened to the music industry?
Old 03-17-2012, 06:54 PM

Gavin, how you fix the pillow inside your bass drum to avoid moving of pillow away from bass drum head?
Old 03-19-2012, 11:08 AM

Hello Sir,
I had a few questions regarding your Drum song and Cymbal song.

1) What was composing process like ? As in did you first record the parts and lay them down during the editing phase or did you first conceptualize what the song would sound like and then record the individual pieces ?

2) Did you place short video clips on a click or did you play through the song with each drum and cut out the video where you're not playing the drum ?

3) Did you edit the video yourself or did you get someone else to do it ?

I recently made a drum ensemble video (which is actually more of a tribute to you) and I came across the above problems. Hence the questions.

Thanks again for all the inspiration :)
Old 03-19-2012, 08:40 PM

Wow, I've got to go through this thread, a wealth of info from one of the most musical drummers today! It's really such a privilege that you respond and share your knowledge.

Gavin, I've been a fan for a short time as I'm a 37yr old late bloomer, been playing the drums for about a year now and loving every minute of it.

First I just wanted to mention that there was an interview you did I had watched not too long ago where you said that musical drumming is what impressed you. You mentioned someone (who I don't recall at the moment) who had no chops but could play the drums musically.

This was close to heart for me because of my lack of technical skills I often try to come up with other ways of expression and have since enjoyed drumming even more. Of course I still practice rudiments and do speed exercises so that the ideas in my head can be expressed, but I no longer have that as a main focus.

My question to you is: Why Sonor drums, what was it that drew your attention to them and have you considered other companies like DW, Gretsch? (I play a sonor 3007 by the way and would love to own a De-Lite or Pro-Lite kit later on)

I haven't read this whole thread so if you've answered that already I'm sure I will come across it once I get through the thread.
Old 03-19-2012, 09:56 PM

Hey Tyger,

First I just wanted to mention that there was an interview you did I had watched not too long ago where you said that musical drumming is what impressed you. You mentioned someone (who I don't recall at the moment) who had no chops but could play the drums musically.

I think you might be thinking of Steve Jansen, the drummer for Japan.
Old 03-20-2012, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelbreaker View Post
Hey Tyger,

I think you might be thinking of Steve Jansen, the drummer for Japan.
Yes exactly! forgot what his name was but I remembered something about Japan, Thanks!
Old 03-25-2012, 09:14 PM

Hey Gavin.
Very big fan from Ireland here and getting to meet you at your clinic in Xmusic in Dublin was amazing. I use the picture we took together for everything!
In the next month or so ill be doing an audition to get into a drum course in college. I have to perform a prepared piece and ive chosen The Sound of Muzak as my piece.
Do you have any tips for playing the song, or playing in general that might help my chances of getting in? I have a mainly metal background (fast double bass, blast beats etc) but for the past 3 years ive been focusing on styles like yours, Danny Carey from Tool's and generally innovative, tasteful drumming. In a way its great, seen as I can incorporate the metal style into this new style ive been developing but I just wanted to ask if you had any advice on the song or drumming in general.
The college is called Bimm by the way. Theres one in Dublin, Bristol and Brighton. If youre ever back in Ireland for a clinic or a Porcupine Tree gig and I manage to get into the college, it would be wonderful if you could stop by the college for an hour or two and teach us a few things!
Hope to here from you soon!
Jakk
Old 03-27-2012, 10:25 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi paulegavin

What do you think about the prospect of someone making a living as drummer despite the rapid changes that have happened to the music industry?

I think it's probably quite hard - but it always was to be honest. It's true that the kind of work opportunities that existed when I was starting out - aren't there any more - but there's music being made and played all over the place so people still need drummers!! I think being adaptable in your playing and expectations will be the key.

Hi Dustondrums

how you fix the pillow inside your bass drum to avoid moving of pillow away from bass drum head?

usually I don't. It's a very heavy pillow that (once I've adjusted it) doesn't move that much during a show. Other times (with lighter pillows) I have tied string across the pillow and attached it to the screws inside the shell that hold the lugs.

Hi drumbumhamza

I had a few questions regarding your Drum song and Cymbal song
1) What was composing process like ? As in did you first record the parts and lay them down during the editing phase or did you first conceptualize what the song would sound like and then record the individual pieces ?

It was a long process. First I made a demo of the Cymbal Song and wrote the parts as it went along - but to turn it into a 'composition' (that I thought had some musical shape to it) I had to spend a lot of time planning and arranging where and when all the ideas would come in and out. Then I went back and replayed all the parts whilst filming them (with 3 different coloured shirts). Then I wrote the Drum Song at 2/3 of the tempo of the Cymbal Song so when I finally edited the "Drum and Cymbal Song" they would play a rhythmic illusions against each other.

2) Did you place short video clips on a click or did you play through the song with each drum and cut out the video where you're not playing the drum ?

I only filmed the little sections where each part played.

3) Did you edit the video yourself or did you get someone else to do it ?

I filmed it and edited it myself.

Hi Tyger

Yes - Steve Jansen.

My question to you is: Why Sonor drums, what was it that drew your attention to them and have you considered other companies like DW, Gretsch? (I play a sonor 3007 by the way and would love to own a De-Lite or Pro-Lite kit later on)

I had always admired Sonor drums from when I first saw and heard them in the 1970's they were obviously very high quality - so in 2001 when I had the chance to endorse them I was very happy to do so.

Hi JakkP

In the next month or so ill be doing an audition to get into a drum course in college. I have to perform a prepared piece and ive chosen The Sound of Muzak as my piece.
Do you have any tips for playing the song, or playing in general that might help my chances of getting in?

I would suggest that you just concentrate on the timing - and try to make it feel as good (and relaxed) as you can. I'm sure the folks holding the audition will recognize that.

cheers
Gavin
Old 03-27-2012, 12:55 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Then I went back and replayed all the parts whilst filming them (with 3 different coloured shirts).

cheers
Gavin
Hehehe, nice shirt tip :)
Old 03-28-2012, 06:52 PM

Hi, Gavin!
Thanks a lot for your answer!
One more question: how do think, what position of body on drum stool is most comfortable for the best balance (especially for double pedal drumming style like yours)- on the edge or in the middle of the seat?
And what helps you to keep perfect balance?
Old 03-29-2012, 07:31 AM

Gavin,

I have lots of ideas that I think would sound good, but they always sound sloppy as I play them. As a result my playing overall seems to sound kind of sloppy when I record it sometimes. Any suggestions on what to do as I notice things like this to work them out of my playing?
Old 03-29-2012, 01:27 PM

Hi Gavin,

I am really excited to hear about the drum clinic / workshop in Hannover in april. May there be a chance of other dates in germany? Perhaps you know, Hannover is the hometown of the amazing Marco Minnemann!

And did anyone ever consider the possibility of a tour or concert event as a drummers equivalent to the guitarists "G3"? Three world class drummers / percussionists in one show, so to say a "D3". I would suggest a mixed lineup with maybe you, Trilok Gurtu and Johnny Raab. That would be fun!

And a friend of mine did a great drum solo, partly inspired by you, but also by drummers like Danny Carey, Mike Portnoy and Mike Mangini. Really worth listening to, maybe I can post a youtube-link so everyone can enjoy it.

Regards

Andy
Old 03-29-2012, 07:18 PM

Hey Gavin
Thanks for the reply!
I was wondering is there any chance of another clinic in Ireland? I would love to get a chance to meet you properly as you have been my biggest source of inspiration for drumming for years.
Also I was wondering, what were the difference in playing and writing for Steven Wilson's "Insurgence" album, compared to writing for Porcupine Tree? Were you given as much freedom as you would be given on a Porcupine Tree album?
My final question is would you recommend the coated Remo CS Ambassador for someone who wants very little overtones. Ive been striving to get a similar snare sound to your own for a while. Would removing some of the snare wires help in any way?
Finally I just got the date for my drum audition. Friday, the 13th of April. Wish me luck!
All the best,
Jakk
Old 03-29-2012, 08:09 PM

Hi Gavin, I had a look on this thread first but can't see the answer to my question , so here it is.
What is the roll/sticking you play on this version of 'The Chicken' at about 1'54"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igDSyZMy8_E

I looks like some kind of Swiss army Triplet or Blushda, but I can't work it out.

It sounds great and I wanna steal it!
All the best
Dom

Last edited by Dom Chandler; 03-29-2012 at 08:10 PM. Reason: wrong time should be 1'54" and not 1'45"
Old 03-29-2012, 08:16 PM
Official DW Chief Transcriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom Chandler View Post
Hi Gavin, I had a look on this thread first but can't see the answer to my question , so here it is.
What is the roll/sticking you play on this version of 'The Chicken' at about 1'54"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igDSyZMy8_E

I looks like some kind of Swiss army Triplet or Blushda, but I can't work it out.

It sounds great and I wanna steal it!
All the best
Dom
Hey Dom Chandler,

Here's a full transcription that I did:

http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/g...anchicken.html

Hope it helps!

Terry
Old 03-30-2012, 12:43 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Dustondrums

One more question: how do think, what position of body on drum stool is most comfortable for the best balance (especially for double pedal drumming style like yours)- on the edge or in the middle of the seat? And what helps you to keep perfect balance?

I sit in the middle and the stool is pretty low. Sitting on the edge I usually associate with folks who have their stool very high. It has a lot to do with what makes you feel comfortable - how tall you are - and if you play heel up on the pedals.

Hi paulegavin

I have lots of ideas that I think would sound good, but they always sound sloppy as I play them. As a result my playing overall seems to sound kind of sloppy when I record it sometimes. Any suggestions on what to do as I notice things like this to work them out of my playing?

There's two things - first you need to really work on things lining up and get microscopic about it. Bass drum and hi hat, snare drum and hi hat, snare drum and bass drum. Second - REALLY try to listen to the timing details as you're playing - so there's not a surprise when you listen back to a recording.

Hi astroandy

I am really excited to hear about the drum clinic / workshop in Hannover in april. May there be a chance of other dates in germany?

None plans at the moment.

And did anyone ever consider the possibility of a tour or concert event as a drummers equivalent to the guitarists "G3"? Three world class drummers / percussionists in one show, so to say a "D3". I would suggest a mixed lineup with maybe you, Trilok Gurtu and Johnny Raab. That would be fun!

I haven't ever thought about that - but it sounds like it could be fun with those guys.

Hi JakkP

I was wondering is there any chance of another clinic in Ireland?

I'd love to - but a promoter or shop would need to organise it and invite me.

Also I was wondering, what were the difference in playing and writing for Steven Wilson's "Insurgence" album, compared to writing for Porcupine Tree? Were you given as much freedom as you would be given on a Porcupine Tree album?

Pretty much the same - but Steve had more definite ideas about what he wanted on his album.

My final question is would you recommend the coated Remo CS Ambassador for someone who wants very little overtones. Ive been striving to get a similar snare sound to your own for a while. Would removing some of the snare wires help in any way?

I really like that head - but you still might need some dampening if you want to reduce most of the overtones. I like having only 8 strands on the bottom of the snare - but if you do the same it won't guarantee that it will sound like mine. There's an enormous amount of factors with getting a snare drum sound - and that's before you start messing around with it inside a computer with eq, compression reverbs etc.

Finally I just got the date for my drum audition. Friday, the 13th of April. Wish me luck!

good luck

Thanks to Terry Branam for the transcription!!

OK here's some news: Myself and 05Ric band will be touring the UK this June with Justin Dwyer (gtr) and Tiago Coimbra (bass). We'll be joined by Tony Levin/Pat Mastelotto/Markus Reuter's Stickmen

June.3 Manchester Manchester Academy 3

June.4 Birmingham O2 Academy2 Birmingham

June.5 Cardiff Clwb Ifor Bach

June.6 Bristol O2 Academy2 Bristol

June.7 London O2 Academy Islington

Tickets are on sale
http://www.gigsandtours.com/Tour/GAV...LUS-TONY-LEVIN

Please spread the word with any folks you know in the UK. Depending on the success of it we will try to play in other territories.

cheers
Gavin
Old 03-30-2012, 12:57 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:

OK here's some news: Myself and 05Ric band will be touring the UK this June with Justin Dwyer (gtr) and Tiago Coimbra (bass). We'll be joined by Tony Levin/Pat Mastelotto/Markus Reuter's Stickmen

June.3 Manchester Manchester Academy 3

June.4 Birmingham O2 Academy2 Birmingham

June.5 Cardiff Clwb Ifor Bach

June.6 Bristol O2 Academy2 Bristol

June.7 London O2 Academy Islington

Tickets are on sale
http://www.gigsandtours.com/Tour/GAV...LUS-TONY-LEVIN

Please spread the word with any folks you know in the UK. Depending on the success of it we will try to play in other territories.

cheers
Gavin
Great news Gavin. I'll see you in Cardiff :)

Andy.
Old 03-30-2012, 01:59 PM

Hi Gavin,
Just wondering what your pedal tension settings are like?
And can you remember how long it took you to get up to a good standard on double bass?

Muchos gracias, huge fan btw. :)
Old 03-30-2012, 02:22 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talismanis View Post
Hi Gavin,
And can you remember how long it took you to get up to a good standard on double bass?

Muchos gracias, huge fan btw. :)
Hey dude :) Check out www.askgavinharrison.com
Old 03-30-2012, 02:57 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talismanis View Post
(...) And can you remember how long it took you to get up to a good standard on double bass?
My guess is: 9 years, 3 months and 14 days. I could be wrong though ;-)

Ok, silly kidding aside...

Gavin, I admire you (in addition to being a stunning drummer/musician) taking the time to answer people's questions. That's ultra nice!
Old 03-30-2012, 06:03 PM

How low is your stool? Is it on your knees level or lower/higher when you stand?
I'm 6,2 feet tall and always play heel up.
Old 03-30-2012, 06:49 PM

Quote:
It was a long process. First I made a demo of the Cymbal Song and wrote the parts as it went along - but to turn it into a 'composition' (that I thought had some musical shape to it) I had to spend a lot of time planning and arranging where and when all the ideas would come in and out. Then I went back and replayed all the parts whilst filming them (with 3 different coloured shirts). Then I wrote the Drum Song at 2/3 of the tempo of the Cymbal Song so when I finally edited the "Drum and Cymbal Song" they would play a rhythmic illusions against each other.
That seems like an awful lot of work, then again that's why you are Gavin Harrison !

The reason I asked these questions was because I recently made a Drum Ensemble Video quite similar to yours (With 1/1000th the talent obviously). It's actually a tribute video to You, Danny Carey and Terry Bozzio.

The idea was to record a main melodic jungle groove composition that would build up in intensity till it reached the climax. This was the video in the center around which I added short clips of Xylophones, Cymbal Swells, Percussive Instruments and my Custom Chimes (I don't know if you remember but when we met in India, I'd shown you my Custom Bell Stand that I designed myself)

Recording took less than a day but editing took 2 weeks ! (Your execution probably took months right ?) The main composition was pre composed but the other smaller videos were arranged in the editing process.

I've attached a screen shot of the editing phase.

It would be very kind of you if you wish to see it. I've incorporated a few of your Rhythmic Illusions concepts (and given credit of course) in the video.

Regards,
Hamza.

Old 03-30-2012, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Branam View Post
Hey Dom Chandler,

Here's a full transcription that I did:

http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/g...anchicken.html

Hope it helps!

Terry
Thanks Terry, as always fantastic transcription.
Old 03-30-2012, 09:59 PM

Hi Gavin,
I watched the "Chicken" performance (again) and always pick up something to use from you. I noticed you are playing the lick similar to the one you used on Anesthetize at the end around 3:48 - truely amazing.

One question; A while ago you told us how you placed the piece of wood in your bass drum to hold the pillow against the batter head and away from the resonant head. How do you fasten the wood into the bass drum, i.e., screws, glue etc.?

Thanks for the inspiration.
Old 03-31-2012, 08:58 AM

Hi drumstu,

Here is a picture of the inside of the bass drum.
Attached Images

Old 04-01-2012, 02:49 PM

Hi Gavin,

While watching the Rythmic Designs DVD I noticed both your snare drums have ebony veneer on the inside.
Does this inner veneer affect the sound, or do you think there isn't a noticeable difference?

Thanks!
Old 04-03-2012, 03:16 PM

Hi Gavin,

Just a quick question about the signature drumsticks. Any ideas when are they going to be available in europe (Im from Greece). Trying to track them down but I cant.

thnx
Old 04-03-2012, 09:40 PM

Hi Gavin,
First of all congratulations on your performance at the Buddy Rich Memorial Concert last night. Outstanding drumming as always! Also loved the tunes you played - they gave you great opportunities to show both your chops and musicality.

Do you know if there are plans for it to be released on DVD/Blu-ray like the 2008 one was?
Also, was sad to see Gregg Bissonette's name had vanished from the bill - any idea what happened?

Cheers,
Robin

P.S. Not that the finale part was a competition or anything, but I thought that you won in the drum break section :P
Old 04-04-2012, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex P. View Post
Hi drumstu,

Here is a picture of the inside of the bass drum.

Alex, Thank you for this, I sincerely appreciate it. But, I've seen this. This is what I meant when I said "you told us how you put the wood in to hold the pillow back" etc. What I'm asking is, I don't know what is used to hold the wood securely in the drum. Is it glued, fastened to existing lugs, etc.?
Old 04-04-2012, 02:18 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Talismanis [i]

Medium loose I would say.

I don't know - I'll let you know when I get there!

Hi Dustondrums

How low is your stool? Is it on your knees level or lower/higher when you stand?
I'm 6,2 feet tall and always play heel up.

It's about 18.5 inches to the top of the seat. It comes up to the bottom of my knee caps when I'm standing. (I'm 6'2" too).

Hi drumstu

One question; A while ago you told us how you placed the piece of wood in your bass drum to hold the pillow against the batter head and away from the resonant head. How do you fasten the wood into the bass drum, i.e., screws, glue etc.?

Velcro (which I believe is called 'hook & loop' in America).

Hi Jeffx

While watching the Rythmic Designs DVD I noticed both your snare drums have ebony veneer on the inside. Does this inner veneer affect the sound, or do you think there isn't a noticeable difference?

None of my drums have an ebony veneer inside. Might be the lighting on the video?

Hi nkod

Just a quick question about the signature drumsticks. Any ideas when are they going to be available in europe (Im from Greece). Trying to track them down but I cant.

They are coming - but I have no arrival dates. The sticks are shipped via sea transport so I don't know when they will hit the shores of Europe.

Hi Drummerrobin

First of all congratulations on your performance at the Buddy Rich Memorial Concert last night. Outstanding drumming as always! Also loved the tunes you played - they gave you great opportunities to show both your chops and musicality.

Thanks I had a blast!!

Do you know if there are plans for it to be released on DVD/Blu-ray like the 2008 one was? Also, was sad to see Gregg Bissonette's name had vanished from the bill - any idea what happened?

It wasn't recorded or filmed - I understand it was just too expensive to do it. Many 'famous venues' will charge an 'origination fee' which can be many thousands of pounds (even tens of thousands) because you're filming/recording in their prestigious venue. Of course that is on top of all your camera crew and audio recording costs. We have run into this problem many times with PT. I don't know why Gregg Bissonette didn't come.

cheers
Gavin

Last edited by Gavin Harrison; 04-04-2012 at 11:09 PM.