DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 01-04-2012, 05:58 PM

Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

Gavin

I registered here just so I could get an opportunity to talk to you. I might sound a little teen-girl-ish but bear with me please.

I just wanted to let you know what an inspiration you are, to teens like me (I'm 17). You, sir, are the sole reason I seriously got into playing drums. Your chops, your ideas - they're mind blowing. Thank you. For being as amazing as you are. You are God's gift on Earth.

Just knowing that you read through all that will mean the world. Thank you, if you did.

I have a question you might not be able to answer, but one's gotta try right? If you can't, we understand :).

Steven Wilson recently stated that nothing on the new Porcupine Tree album is even decided, so is there any sort of time window we could get? A year? 2 years?

And if not that, where else can we hear you in 2012? Any new projects to keep an ear out for?

Thank you, sir, for reading that. You do not know how much you have inspired me.

Love from India :)
Old 01-04-2012, 06:06 PM

Gavin:

Are your new signature sticks going to be available in a number of different sizes, or just the one "signature" size? Thanks to one of your videos, I'm now sold on the VF sticks with the grip and have been buying 5Bs with the red grip. Looking forward to your new sticks if they will also be available in 5B.
Old 01-05-2012, 02:10 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi cheech15

I just happened upon a discussion on Mike Portnoy's page about who is the BEST drummer, Neil Peart or yourself

The idea of 'Best" is of course silly with anything that is a subjective art form like music.

Hi Kalma

I wanted to know if you would share with us, what "plugins" you use for mixing your kit, so..eq, compressor, reverb etc.. And especially what else do you with overheads then low-cut?

The plugins I use the most are the Waves C1 compressor - which I use on the snare drum and a little bit on the toms. I use a Space Designer (a Logic Pro standard) usually with the 'large wood room' setting - as my reverb that I send the snare drum and toms to. But there's also a big live room in my studio that I record with two mics use varying amounts of depending on what the song needs.
I also use the Logic EQ and the Apple Graphic Equalizer on various parts of the kit.
With the 'Gainer" plug in I reverse the phase on the overheads and bottom snare drum mic.

Hi GavinIsAGodToMe

Steven Wilson recently stated that nothing on the new Porcupine Tree album is even decided, so is there any sort of time window we could get? A year? 2 years?

yes we still haven't written a note yet - but we plan to later this year. We're all pretty busy doing other things.

And if not that, where else can we hear you in 2012? Any new projects to keep an ear out for?

Myself and 05Ric and trying to get a live band together for some shows later this year. I believe the new OSI album is coming out in the spring. Plus I'm doing a lot of mixing at the moment - there will be other things coming in 2012 that I can't mention yet.

Hi tmccartney

Are your new signature sticks going to be available in a number of different sizes, or just the one "signature" size?

No - just one size. That's the one that I designed for myself - just the way I like it. It really wouldn't be the same sick if it came out in other sizes.

cheers
Gavin

http://www.burningshed.com/store/gavinharrison/
Old 01-06-2012, 01:09 PM

Hi gavin.
here is a cover i made, of your music Life.
i know you do not comment other peoples video, but any advise you can give me regarding to a laid back feel? thats the most dificult part is to play relaxed and laid back (hopefuly i will do it some day).
thank you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvTcH...LPHdJcjMxd1c9f

Is there some plan that you will play in portugal in near future?
Old 01-07-2012, 12:38 PM

Gavin, I have been drumming for a couple of years now, and i've noticed that I don't think I have enough limb independence. I play single bass drum. I see that you have amazing limb independence, it's like each one has a mind of its own. Could you please start me off on how develop that? I'm Madhu and from india. Thank you :D
Old 01-07-2012, 06:36 PM

Paul Cusick's album is another one featuring Gavin on drums. My copy came the other day, hoping to give it a good play tomorrow.

Hey Gavin, do you know if your cymbal felts (not sure what you would call them... They look like they're made of neoprene or something...) would allow enough room on a standard stand for a second inverted cymbal (splash/accent bell etc)? Are they only made in one size, or will you have thin felts/ hihat clutch and bed felt replacements also?

Can't wait to hear the OSI and 05Ric albums also. Thanks for keeping us updated.
Old 01-07-2012, 07:37 PM

Hi Gavin,

I'm just getting to know that you exist, and you're absolutely amazing! I especially enjoy your philosophy on drumming all together. Very useful for all drummers.

As you see the music world changing, what do you think young drummers should be working on to stay relevant in the professional world? As I read about what musicians are saying about the music world it seems like there's a general consensus that it's shrinking. How does a young drummer prepare to be least affected by these changes?

Thanks so much!
Old 01-12-2012, 07:55 PM

Hi Gavin,

Since Im planning to order a SQ2 snare drum, I would like to know the specs (shell material and shell type) of the snare drum you used on the Anesthetize DVD. Im also curious about the snare you use in your current set up.

Thanks!
Old 01-13-2012, 02:53 AM

Hi Gavin

I got my SHAR sticks in the mail or post as you brits might say just the other day.

It seems to me that the whole point of a signature stick is or should be exactly that a stick designed by the player/artist that he/she will actually play that fits their specific needs. I guess it doesn’t hurt the company if they sell a few also.

Very comfortable and very nice, a very enjoyable stick to play I really love the tip design it just sounds great on my cymbals especially my Ride so good I feel the need to repeat myself the tip design just sounds great on my cymbals especially my Ride and has a great feel and response to my drums

I like to use the Vic Firth Vic Grip rock model on my pad as my practice stick and rarely use it on my kit once it a while for a different feel, I do not need the extra volume or power. I like the grip for some reason other than just pure grip sake it seems fun to me and makes me enjoy myself a little more. On my kit for the last few years I’ve been using the Zildjian Super 5B dip and like them a lot they have a nice feel and rebound the only thing I’ve not liked about them from the beginning was the sound of the tip on my ride not quite the right articulation for me.

Of course any other size stick would just not be the same stick, and would not be your Signature model I understand that 100% completely and I am not trying to say they should make different sizes or do anything to take away from your Signature model but it would be totally awesome if Vic Firth (now a part of Zildjian) would incorporate that tip and shoulder ratio type design into other sticks maybe they do already and I’m just not aware of it.

This is by no means a review of the any sorts I have no interest in being a reviewer I will leave that to the folks who fell they need to validate their lives by doing so.

Great sticks Gavin I hope you have fun and enjoy playing with them.

UE
Old 01-13-2012, 12:33 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi carlos ramos

any advise you can give me regarding to a laid back feel? thats the most dificult part is to play relaxed and laid back (hopefuly i will do it some day).

it's something you need to 'hear' first. Listen to some Jeff Porcaro and Steve Gadd - and notice how they make the music feel. Always record yourself when you play and listen back carefully to how your time feels. It took me many years to develop that feel.

Is there some plan that you will play in portugal in near future?

no plans at the moment.

Hi madhusudanraman

Gavin, I have been drumming for a couple of years now, and i've noticed that I don't think I have enough limb independence. I play single bass drum. I see that you have amazing limb independence, it's like each one has a mind of its own. Could you please start me off on how develop that? I'm Madhu and from india.

I don't think I have enough limb independence either - but you have to start slowly and simply. Watching some folks on YouTube with great technique can make you feel like you're a long way behind.

Hi mutzy

Hey Gavin, do you know if your cymbal felts (not sure what you would call them... They look like they're made of neoprene or something...) would allow enough room on a standard stand for a second inverted cymbal (splash/accent bell etc)? Are they only made in one size, or will you have thin felts/ hihat clutch and bed felt replacements also?

The main purpose of the cymbal felts that I've been developing is to substantially reduce breakage on (mainly) crash cymbals. At the moment the prototypes are one size but they could be cut in half - as with any cymbal felt - if you needed more room to mount other cymbals inverted on top. However that would reduce their shock absorbing effectiveness of course.

Hi paulegavin

I'm just getting to know that you exist, and you're absolutely amazing! I especially enjoy your philosophy on drumming all together. Very useful for all drummers.
As you see the music world changing, what do you think young drummers should be working on to stay relevant in the professional world? As I read about what musicians are saying about the music world it seems like there's a general consensus that it's shrinking. How does a young drummer prepare to be least affected by these changes?

I would say - work on being versatile. Quite often job opportunities appear that aren't exactly what you wanted to play. The music business has changed a lot and is continuing to - so you have to adapt.

Hi Jeffx

Since Im planning to order a SQ2 snare drum, I would like to know the specs (shell material and shell type) of the snare drum you used on the Anesthetize DVD. Im also curious about the snare you use in your current set up.

that snare drum is a Birch 'thin' shell 14 x 5 - and I have rounded bearing edges on it. Sonor had to custom modify that edge for me as it isn't a standard edge that they offer. Also I have S-Hoops on that drum and 8 strand Puresound snare wires.

Hi UE Nastasi

glad you like the sticks.

cheers
Gavin
Old 01-13-2012, 06:47 PM

thank you very much, sir. i also wanted to know, on the song 'dark matter',are the little double bass fills you did on the live 'anesthetize' version some kind of triplets? i love the drumming on that song, and i'm trying to replicate it on 1 bass.
Old 01-15-2012, 03:25 PM

Hi Gavin, I would like to make a simple short question. I hope you know it. By listening to the Rhythmic Illsuions CD I got captivated by the sound of your snare drum. Which snare is it? Thanks a lot. I really like your drumming, most of all your sound. Youve contributed to drumming in a very special way, cheers,
Alberto.
Old 01-16-2012, 06:28 AM
Senior Pro Drummer

Gavin Harrison knows where its at with music and the drums //// // . Butch Axsmith
Old 01-16-2012, 07:17 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi madhusudanraman

i also wanted to know, on the song 'dark matter',are the little double bass fills you did on the live 'anesthetize' version some kind of triplets? i love the drumming on that song, and i'm trying to replicate it on 1 bass.

There are moments where there's three 32nd notes consecutively - which of course I'm playing on a double pedal. I can't imagine how you would do it with one pedal.

Hi atman

I would like to make a simple short question. I hope you know it. By listening to the Rhythmic Illsuions CD I got captivated by the sound of your snare drum. Which snare is it? Thanks a lot. I really like your drumming, most of all your sound. Youve contributed to drumming in a very special way, cheers,

It's a 1982 Yamaha Recording Custom 5" x 14" drum with rounded bearing edges.

cheers
Gavin
Old 01-17-2012, 12:41 PM

Gavin, i have this weird thing that i do. i just let my foot fly. i don't know how to explain it. but the long and short of it that i can get 3 or 4 quick hits with my right foot. i tried it on 'dark matter'. didnt sound too terrible. :D thank you so much!!!
Old 01-18-2012, 04:36 PM

Hi Gavin,

Just a quick technical question, please.

I remember reading you describe some snare drums as sounding like a 'packet of crisps'.

And I know you cut some of the wire off your snare to reduce the 'buzz'.

I've just paid 400 for a 14 x 6 and a half inch maple snare, and I'm quite disappointed with the sound.

I've only messed around in the house (I play in a band in pubs in club) but it sounds like you describe above.

I'm loathe to start hacking the snares off a brand-new drum, but I'm keen to reduce the drums 'rattle'.

My old snare drum was a 14 x 5 brass model which has a nice tight sound.

Any advice?

Cheers.
Old 01-18-2012, 09:13 PM

Hi!

Me and my band are covering Futile as part of a school assignment. It's quite tricky to get it to sound tight. I was wondering how you count the part that starts at 0:24 in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57FouLEDS10 (the tricky part ends at aprox. 0:37).

Maybe quite difficult to explain on a forum like this, but I would be very happy of you cared to shed some insight on this!

My apologies if this question have been asked a million times before (I checked out www.askgavinharrison.com, but found nothing).

Thanks in advance!

- Sondre
Old 01-19-2012, 01:18 PM

Hi Gavin,

What kind of bearing edges do you use on your toms?
Do you use the 45, double 45 or also the rounded ones like on your snare?

Could you shed a light on why you use a medium shell on your floor toms and a thin shell on your toms?

greetings and a lot of respect,

Fabian
Old 01-20-2012, 09:41 AM
Silver Member

Damn those PROLITE Drum sound amazing gavin!

loved the tom-sound. Vintage Maple right?
I read that they will replace the delite series, is that true? Do you know anything about prices yet?
Old 01-20-2012, 05:29 PM

Hey Gavin. Thanks as always for taking the time to talk to your fans and answer everyone's questions.

I'm thinking about going to a local drum company on the east coast of the US that does custom drums and getting a snare made. I love the sound that you get from your snares, in particular on the up the downstair re-issue and deadwing. Those two albums don't have the same exact sound in the mix, but it sounds to me like they still could be the same snare. Were you using your 6 ply maple 12x5 as your primary snare for those sessions?
Old 01-20-2012, 06:02 PM

I like Gavin`s sound. His toms sound awesome.
Old 01-21-2012, 01:38 PM

Hello Gavin

I was going over some of your solo's on youtube and I was wondering if you use alot of rudients in your drumming because I'm now learning things like ratamcues, flamacues(which are really tough) and so forth but in the past I've never really taken thrm seriouly as I have never found a practicule application for them so could if you do, which ones you use and where.

Thankyou

Joe
Old 01-22-2012, 03:46 PM

Hello Gavin. You are hands down my favorite drummer. I've been playing drums for a year now and I'm practicing for at least an hour every day. I want to be able to play like you.

I have a question about playing a bit after the beat, have you zoomed in on a recording in a sequencer or something to confirm that what happens is actually everything being delayed by the same amount or is it an effect that happens of playing after the metronome that maybe delays some parts more or less? Is it a constant delay no matter the tempo or is it something like a 64th or a 128th note? Do you know about how many milliseconds after the beat you play (roughly)? Playing after the beat with everything delayed by the same amount seems contradictionary if you play with other musicians. Especially if they are trying to play in the pocket as well :p

The reason I ask is because I practice with a digital drum kit playing VST's in a sequencer and I sequence all my practice routines. When I practice I try to play along to that until it sounds like one drummer playing. I was thinking maybe to try and delay the sequenced exercises a few milliseconds to try and get a feel for playing after the beat.

I know this will work because my kick was always way too early and by practicing to a sequencer I can instantly hear when it's off so I've got rid of that. My limbs are much more in unison now.

I tend to play a bit early and I don't like the sound of it. I don't know if I can hear the "pocket" yet but what I've noticed when I hear you play it sounds much slower than it is. Sound of muzak is around 95 BPM but it sounds like 70. Is that the effect of the delay?
Old 01-24-2012, 06:54 AM

I am star struck. I will just say that Gavin is one of the most inspiring musicians I have ever heard. He almost single handedly brought me back into getting serious about drumming. His dedication to the craft and his creativeness with the musicality of his playing are just so inspirational to me on a personal level.

Thank you Mr. Harrison!
Old 01-24-2012, 01:14 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi supermac

I remember reading you describe some snare drums as sounding like a 'packet of crisps'.And I know you cut some of the wire off your snare to reduce the 'buzz'. I've just paid 400 for a 14 x 6 and a half inch maple snare, and I'm quite disappointed with the sound.I've only messed around in the house (I play in a band in pubs in club) but it sounds like you describe above. I'm loathe to start hacking the snares off a brand-new drum, but I'm keen to reduce the drums 'rattle'. My old snare drum was a 14 x 5 brass model which has a nice tight sound.

It's hard to give you advice about it without seeing and hearing it. How many snare wires does it have? Does it have the same heads and snare wires as your 14x5? Drums do tend to sound very different from room to room so maybe give it a try in a venue.

Hi DTrocks

Me and my band are covering Futile as part of a school assignment. It's quite tricky to get it to sound tight. I was wondering how you count the part that starts at 0:24 in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57FouLEDS10 (the tricky part ends at aprox. 0:37).

That section is all in 4/4. Probably you need to see a transcription of it for it to make sense. In the first bar of that section the china cymbal is on the "&" of every beat and then the second bar begins with a snare hit. That's all I can tell you for now without a transcription.

Hi Fabian Meinders

What kind of bearing edges do you use on your toms?
Do you use the 45, double 45 or also the rounded ones like on your snare?

the regular 45 degrees that Sonor make.

Could you shed a light on why you use a medium shell on your floor toms and a thin shell on your toms?

I remembered that my old Yamaha 9000 recording custom kit from the early 80's was built like that. It made some logical sense to me.

Hi Kalma

Damn those PROLITE Drum sound amazing gavin!
loved the tom-sound. Vintage Maple right?
I read that they will replace the delite series, is that true? Do you know anything about prices yet?

Yes they are vintage maple shells and they do replace the DeLight series. I have no idea about the prices.

Hi deadwing_007

I love the sound that you get from your snares, in particular on the up the downstair re-issue and deadwing. Those two albums don't have the same exact sound in the mix, but it sounds to me like they still could be the same snare. Were you using your 6 ply maple 12x5 as your primary snare for those sessions?

No it was a 1982 Birch Yamaha 14x5.

Hi Animal drummer

I was going over some of your solo's on youtube and I was wondering if you use alot of rudients in your drumming because I'm now learning things like ratamcues, flamacues(which are really tough) and so forth but in the past I've never really taken thrm seriouly as I have never found a practicule application for them so could if you do, which ones you use and where.

Everything anyone plays could be described as some kind of a rudiment (or hybrid rudiment). It's like asking "do you use letters when you write words". I saw a comment on a YouTube video of one of my performances and someone said "this guy just uses rudiments all the time" ...and it was meant as a criticism. If I had to try and identify which ones I use the most - single strokes - double strokes - paradiddles - flams - ruffs and lots of combinations.

here's a great resource for rudiments http://www.ninjadrummist.com/drum-ru...-encyclopedia/

Hi EvilDrummer

I have a question about playing a bit after the beat, have you zoomed in on a recording in a sequencer or something to confirm that what happens is actually everything being delayed by the same amount or is it an effect that happens of playing after the metronome that maybe delays some parts more or less?

Yes I can see that I play after the beat most of the time. But it's a very subtle thing. The snare drum is the thing that lays back the most. The hi hat is pretty much on the beat - but it's a subtle balance between me and whatever else is playing.

Is it a constant delay no matter the tempo or is it something like a 64th or a 128th note? Do you know about how many milliseconds after the beat you play (roughly)? Playing after the beat with everything delayed by the same amount seems contradictionary if you play with other musicians. Especially if they are trying to play in the pocket as well :p

It's hard to quantify it exactly as I don't intentionally try to play exactly 5 milliseconds behind the beat (nor could I with that degree of accuracy). It's more of a feeling that I'm trying to covey. Maybe some days I lay back more than others - maybe I lay back more in certain sections of the songs - it depends on a lot of subtle organic things. No two musicians play in the same place - and in my experience a vast majority of players tend to get in front of the beat. It's pretty rare that you meet players that can really play back in the pocket. The overall feel will change depending who I'm playing with and the balance of all the timing between us. I think some guys make it sound better - and some make it sound worse - even when they are recording to the same drum track.

I tend to play a bit early and I don't like the sound of it. I don't know if I can hear the "pocket" yet but what I've noticed when I hear you play it sounds much slower than it is. Sound of muzak is around 95 BPM but it sounds like 70. Is that the effect of the delay?

I used to play early - and it didn't sound the way I liked or similar to the drummers I was listening to at that time (mainly Steve Gadd and Jeff Porcaro). You think the 95bpm sounds like 70bpm to you? When I hear that song at 95bpm - that's what 95bpm sounds like to me.

cheers
Gavin

by the way - there's a competition going on over here to win lots of stuff https://apps.facebook.com/vicfirthgi...ontests/185055

Last edited by Gavin Harrison; 01-24-2012 at 01:25 PM.
Old 01-24-2012, 01:29 PM
Platinum Member

Hi Gavin,

I hope this message finds you well.

Love the promo video for the Prolite range. After those naughty boys pulled the power plug on your performance, I hope you get the chance to get your own back sometime. If you do, be sure to post it here :)

(talcum powder on the snare batter usually works quite well)
Old 01-24-2012, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Harrison View Post

You think the 95bpm sounds like 70bpm to you? When I hear that song at 95bpm - that's what 95bpm sounds like to me.

cheers
Gavin
Maybe I just need to practice it until I can play it as relaxed in 95 BPM as when I play it at 70.

BTW I read somewhere that you use a Beatnik rhythmic analyzer. What exercises do you practice on it? Do you have a good exercise I can try? What kind of accuracy goals do you have on it? For instance 99% on medium on one tempo before going to a faster one. Maybe in your case 100% on the extreme setting :D
Old 01-24-2012, 10:15 PM

Hi Gavin ;

Do you prefer matched or traditional grip ? And why ?
Old 01-26-2012, 06:51 AM

Hellooo there Gav!!!

Have recently become a BIG fan (recently acquired Rythmic Designs) and just started practicing/playing again after a long hiatus (although I believe once a drummer, always a drummer). I had forgotten how meditative and sedating playing the drums can be.

No questions really. Just wanted to say 'thank you'. It's artists like you that motivate me to always grow and keep learning. At 32, I'm as enthusiastic as I was when I first picked-up a pair of sticks at the age of 12 and it's in part due to the refreshing and unending creative work of musicians such as yourself.

Cheers,
Anastasios
To whoever stole my cymbal bag from the 9:30 club on Nov.20th, 2001..... Give it back!
Old 01-27-2012, 06:01 PM

Hello Mr. Gavin,
Can you please tell me which drum mics you use when you're playing live..

And yes, you have been one of the greatest influences for me....
You are a very very good drummer.....
Thank you.
Allan Thomas

Last edited by allanthomas; 01-27-2012 at 10:33 PM.
Old 01-28-2012, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanthomas View Post
Hello Mr. Gavin,

And yes, you have been one of the greatest influences for me....
You are a very very good drummer.....
Thank you.
Allan Thomas
Check out this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aypLGuUzR0I

Cheers
Old 01-28-2012, 05:39 PM

Cheers for the links gavin this resource is just what I've been looking for its nice to know an internationally famous drummer to help out a young drummer like me. Anyway I was also checking out your equipment and I noticed that your sticks are the rock model meaning they're as thick as 2B's which are huge how can you use such massive sticks without losing any of the versitilty and comfort. My experience of thick sticks has been a nightmare so what made you pick the rock model for your playing.
Old 01-29-2012, 08:58 PM

Hi Gavin,

Can you describe the finger technique you use when you're playing cross sticks on the snare drum? http://www.vicfirth.com/artists/harrison.php you do it a lot in So What on your VF page. It's absolutely delicious!

Thanks!
Old 01-30-2012, 05:33 AM

sir,
i have a question about rimshots. do you pick up the sticks and 'drop' it on the rim? or do you have a hold on the stick throughout the stroke? if you do have a hold throughout, where's the fulcrum point? i use the heel of my palm to keep the stick down, but in doing so i don't get enough power and end up 'picking it up and dropping it.'
thank you very much.
Old 01-30-2012, 07:30 AM

Hoping you and Ric get a band together! If you do, do you think you'd be able to take the tour to the US? If not, hoping you could do some clinic shows in the US this spring/summer.

Anything we can do to help promote, let us know!
Old 01-30-2012, 11:36 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Thanks To Alex P for the transcription of "Futile".

Hi EvilDrummer

BTW I read somewhere that you use a Beatnik rhythmic analyzer. What exercises do you practice on it? Do you have a good exercise I can try? What kind of accuracy goals do you have on it? For instance 99% on medium on one tempo before going to a faster one. Maybe in your case 100% on the extreme setting :D

When I was at PASIC in 2008 they had a lot of their pads set up with this pattern. I found it quite interesting and challenging.

1 quarter note, 1 quarter note, 2 eighth notes, 3 eighth note triplets, 4 sixteenth notes, 6 sixteenth note triplets, 8 thirty second notes, 1 quarter note. Skill = Medium value. 60bpm.

You then play this two bar pattern eight times and stop. You then check the accuracy of each beat whilst adding up the overall score. Each beat is measured with a score up to 100%. Maximum score is 800.

It's a hard thing to describe - if you're not familiar with the unit. I believe the Medium skill window is 10 milliseconds each side of the beat. So to keep a 100% score you have to hit each beat within 10ms of the metronome.

Hi egbt4

Do you prefer matched or traditional grip ? And why ?

for most of the things that I do I prefer matched. I can play traditional and enjoy doing so when I'm playing jazz and much lighter music. With a lot of the music I play I like to rimshot the snare drum for the backbeats - and I find it more comfortable and consistent with matched grip.

Hi allanthomas

Usually Audix i5 on the top and bottom of both snare drums. Electrovoice ND468 on the toms and a Shure SM91 inside the bass drum. Sometimes with an Audix D6 close to the whole in the front of the bass drum.

Hi Animal drummer

I was also checking out your equipment and I noticed that your sticks are the rock model meaning they're as thick as 2B's which are huge how can you use such massive sticks without losing any of the versitilty and comfort. My experience of thick sticks has been a nightmare so what made you pick the rock model for your playing.

I have designed a new signature stick with Vic Firth that I'm VERY happy with. It is as big as the Rock model but a little bit longer. Model SHAR. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eye7g9aOfLs
I really like big sticks. I have big hands and sometimes I find that thin sticks just hurt. I find that I can control them better and have a lot of power in reserve when I need them.

Hi paulegavin

Can you describe the finger technique you use when you're playing cross sticks on the snare drum? http://www.vicfirth.com/artists/harrison.php you do it a lot in So What on your VF page. It's absolutely delicious!

There isn't really much to describe. When my hand is flat down across the drum playing cross sticks it's pretty easy to just use your fingers to play ghost notes and rolls.

Hi madhusudanraman

i have a question about rimshots. do you pick up the sticks and 'drop' it on the rim? or do you have a hold on the stick throughout the stroke? if you do have a hold throughout, where's the fulcrum point? i use the heel of my palm to keep the stick down, but in doing so i don't get enough power and end up 'picking it up and dropping it.'

I'm assuming that you mean 'cross sticking' ? I hold the stick between the thumb and first finger and I hold onto the stick for the entire stroke.

Hi gibeachhead

Hoping you and Ric get a band together! If you do, do you think you'd be able to take the tour to the US? If not, hoping you could do some clinic shows in the US this spring/summer.

we are putting a band together for live shows. We're just starting rehearsals at the moment. I don't know if we'll get over to the States straight away. We'd love to play all over the planet if we can. Also I'm working on booking some clinics this year but nothing to announce just yet.

Cheers
Gavin
Old 01-31-2012, 05:23 PM

Thank you.Really appreciate it!@
Scorn: Thanks for the link.
Old 02-01-2012, 10:14 PM

Hi Gavin,

I'm just practising drums with your book "Rhythmic Illusions".

When playing a rhythmic illusion (1 16th forward eg.) than the listener doesn't really hear that one is playing "not on the beat" because a common pattern is played a couple of times.

My question: How do YOU as a drummer feel the pattern. Does it feel like it's played "on the beat" (like the listener feels it) or are you hearing it different than the listener?

(hope you understand my question)

Thanks alot
best Regards

Paul
Old 02-02-2012, 08:24 AM

Hey Gavin!

I've asked you about some things in the past, and if you'd be so kind I'd like to ask something else.

I've been thrilled about the new OSI album sampler, it sounds killer, and to add to this excitement... I see that OSI has planned a large tour.

I was just wondering if you are going to be drumming on the tour. I understand you've got a bunch of stuff going on, with 05Ric and PT and all... So I was just wondering if these dates fit your schedule. I've seen you live a few times and its always an experience to remember. I'm going to see OSI regardless of who the drummer is but if it is you I'm going to be ecstatic!

Thanks for your time Gavin, and I hope to watch/hear you drum again in the very near future!
Old 02-02-2012, 11:37 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi totopaul

When playing a rhythmic illusion (1 16th forward eg.) than the listener doesn't really hear that one is playing "not on the beat" because a common pattern is played a couple of times. My question: How do YOU as a drummer feel the pattern. Does it feel like it's played "on the beat" (like the listener feels it) or are you hearing it different than the listener?

No I always feel it 'off' the beat (as the example is written in the book). I do NOT switch my mind into the B Status and start to hear it like the audience. I always keep the original quarter note in my mind.

Hi Dont Taze Me Bro

I've been thrilled about the new OSI album sampler, it sounds killer, and to add to this excitement... I see that OSI has planned a large tour.

if you look at that page again you'll see that OSI are not in the artist list and are not making a tour. That is a list of all the acts on Metal Blade records. Sorry to disappoint you.

cheers
Gavin