DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 07-23-2011, 10:12 AM

Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

Very cool, Dale! It must be great to have done a collaboration with such a professional like Gavin.

Also, you're in luck as I recently received an iTunes voucher as a gift and I'll be 'taking the plunge' on the download after enjoying hearing it on your website. Looking forward to hearing more in the future.
Old 07-23-2011, 09:42 PM

Hi Gavin, I was wondering;

Is there a particular reason as to why the Sennheiser 421 is your tom mic of choice?

Is it a true re-creation of what you hear, a particular colouration or a certain presence?

If you can get it into words I'd really appreciate it, Phil.
Old 07-29-2011, 05:09 PM

Hi Gavin!

I was just wondering, is it you playing drums on the new blackfield album?

Cheers!
Old 07-30-2011, 08:39 PM

Hey Dale,

great song! Thanks for sharing. I've really enjoyed it and can't wait to hear more. You've got a fan here :)

Cheers from Sydney,
Andy
Old 07-30-2011, 10:33 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Rober

Just a little thing about 19 Days (the Rythmic Horizons DVD version). At the very end of the song, when you only hit the crashes, I find that their pitch is very similar to the piano chords and they fit VERY well there. Was that intentional? Did you choose those particular cymbals (or those particular chords) for that reason?

I wasn't deliberately trying to match the pitch of the piano at that point - it was just a happy accident I guess.

Hi Nitemare

I've been trying to learn "Trains" from In Absentia, and i noticed that during the verses you open the hi hat before hitting the snare, after hitting the crash. Is this done with the right or left hand?

Left hand I think.

Hi FraserDrums

I was just curious to know what earphones/monitors you wear when you are playing?

Sensaphonics 3D Ambient in ear monitors.

Hi Bonzo72

Just another quick question: do you organize any drumming course in England or anywhere, or you just play clinics all around the world? It would really be extraordinary to be your student =)

I just occasionally make drum clinics. I will however be taking part in the 'Fantasy Drum Camp' this August in Cleveland USA.

Hi K_HiHats

Now I have just a quick question about the end of your version of the song Dark Matter. I have the Atlanta version and like to play along to it when I'm practicing sometimes, and I'm wondering if there is a specific sticking pattern you use for the end of the song where you play between the ride and your array of bells.

It's just combinations of singles and doubles. The doubles only happen in the right hand and the left hand plays the snare drum.

Hi Cuban

1) The kit that is seen on the PASIC videos, was that yours or just supplied for the event to your spec as I was interested to know the colour?

That the kit I keep in the States. The finish is called Golden Madrone

2) I am finding that playing the acoustic kit without using in ears or ear protection, is something that is getting harder as I get older.When you practice, do you always wear in ears and monitor the kit that way or do you listen to the kit's natural sound without ear protection?

I tend to only play acoustic drums these days whilst wearing in ear monitoring. I have tinnitus and playing without something in my ears can make the tinnitus worse after a very short time.

Hi Phil Brodermann

Is there a particular reason as to why the Sennheiser 421 is your tom mic of choice?
Is it a true re-creation of what you hear, a particular colouration or a certain presence?

It does colour the sound but in a very nice way for toms. They are a real classic sound - although I must say they haven't been very reliable. I'd like to get a set of AKG 414s for the toms - I've had good success with them in other studios.

Hi DTrocks

I was just wondering, is it you playing drums on the new blackfield album?

I don't think I'm on it - but I haven't heard it.

cheers
Gavin
Old 07-30-2011, 10:35 PM

DTrocks!! Because of you i searched Blackfield, i didnt know of them (strange as i love Steve Wilsons stuff).

Thanks a lot for that, im loving their work. :)

Also Gavin do you know if a UK tour with PT is in the works? I know you said about a US tour. Loved the clinic by the way, very inspiring stuff.

Regards
Damien
Old 08-02-2011, 08:00 AM

hey Gavin!

I've just started to listen to some of your stuff and have really been enjoying it.

My question is I've noticed you're from the United Kingdom, have you found the transition to speaking American difficult? hahaha only kidding of course, keep up the great work!
Old 08-03-2011, 12:36 AM

hey again gavin.
i am 99% sure you've allready answered this question, but what is the fill you play on the modern drummer performance of sound of muzak, at 4:05?
thanks and looking forward to your response.
luuk meijwaard.
Old 08-03-2011, 02:38 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuukMeijwaard View Post
hey again gavin.
i am 99% sure you've allready answered this question, but what is the fill you play on the modern drummer performance of sound of muzak, at 4:05?
thanks and looking forward to your response.
luuk meijwaard.
Terry Branam did a very detailed transcription of it a while ago, here it is:

Good luck,

Fox.
Old 08-09-2011, 12:20 AM

Hi Gavin,

I've been meaning to post here for awhile to let you know I was at the clinic in Dublin and it was a great night. Thanks for that. I was sitting behind the guy from Mexico. That guy was a serious fan. Anyway, just wanted to say it was great and along with seeing Benny Greb last year I think I have enough ideas to keep me going for years!

I tried the Speed Cobra today and I can see why you sarted using them. I'll be picking one up in the next couple of weeks. They're very easy to play.

I wanted to ask about that 13x7 heavy maple artist series snare you were using. I'm very fond of 13 snares and I'm looking at getting one with a deeper shell. How do you find the snare? Does the heavy maple limit it in anyway? Or does it work with many types of music? I'd be looking for something that tunes well high or low...something that can be used for funk, metal and everything else. Also, I noticed that you were using a couple of dampening rings on it. Is that because it's a very ringy snare? Anything else you have to offer about that snare would be great.

Thanks,

SonorPlayer
Old 08-09-2011, 04:27 PM

Hey Gavin!

(first post ever on these forums, woo!)

I'm a 16 year old drummer in a jazz influenced progressive rock band (as well as playing keyz in a symphonic metal band and a progressive rock outfit called Flux which I recently joined). For the last few years my primary influences have been Virgil Donati, Mike Portnoy, and Neil Peart. And then a couple months ago, I discovered Porcupine Tree and your drumming. And it was a total revelation to hear such superb technique combined with your effortless and (for lack of a better word) spectacular feel. And now I can safely say that you're my primary influence as to how I approach drum parts (although Virgil Donati is still a freakin' alien, haha).

I have a couple brief questions for you, if it isn't too much trouble (and i apologize if you've answered them earlier in the thread; I haven't gotten through all 133 pages yet :-)

Firstly: I've been playing drums for roughly six years, obsessively working on technique in the early stages especially (just as i did when I picked up the keyboard) and now I feel that I've reached a fairly capable level of technique. So I'm trying to now hone my sense of feel, of groove. But I'm finding that no matter how tightly I lock in, I can't seem to get even close to that relaxed groove that you seem to achieve so effortlessly. How should I go about honing that? Is it something that can really be learned? Or is it a purely natural thing?

Secondly: (I'm sure someone, or multiple people, have asked you this at some point in this thread so I apologize in advance) In light of Steven Wilson's recent solo album release, when is the next probable time frame for a Porcupine Tree US tour? (alas I didn't know of PT last time y'all came around here, grrr). I live in Cleveland, OH, and I very much look forward to experiencing the power of PT live ;P

So yeah. Thanks for being awesome xP you've influenced my drumming positively in so many ways, and I can't thank you enough. Keep on rockin', sir!

PS Sorry for this post being so freaking long, haha.

Last edited by TheseWalls; 08-09-2011 at 04:43 PM.
Old 08-09-2011, 05:38 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Bokatron

do you know if a UK tour with PT is in the works? I know you said about a US tour. Loved the clinic by the way, very inspiring stuff.

Sorry but there are no PT shows planned for this year.

Hi sonorplayer

I wanted to ask about that 13x7 heavy maple artist series snare you were using. I'm very fond of 13 snares and I'm looking at getting one with a deeper shell. How do you find the snare? Does the heavy maple limit it in anyway? Or does it work with many types of music? I'd be looking for something that tunes well high or low...something that can be used for funk, metal and everything else. Also, I noticed that you were using a couple of dampening rings on it. Is that because it's a very ringy snare? Anything else you have to offer about that snare would be great.

I really like playing that (Amboina finish) snare drum - but I don't think there's one snare drum that is going to be the best for every musical situation. I play a lot of different styles of music in the clinic (as you know) and I felt it handled those very well. It's not particularly ringy - I just liked it a little more muted.

Hi TheseWalls

Firstly: I've been playing drums for roughly six years, obsessively working on technique in the early stages especially (just as i did when I picked up the keyboard) and now I feel that I've reached a fairly capable level of technique. So I'm trying to now hone my sense of feel, of groove. But I'm finding that no matter how tightly I lock in, I can't seem to get even close to that relaxed groove that you seem to achieve so effortlessly. How should I go about honing that? Is it something that can really be learned? Or is it a purely natural thing?

You need to listen to a lot of that kind of 'relaxed time' drumming. Jeff Porcaro and Steve Gadd were the guys I was listening to. Your ears start to hear it (seems like yours have already started) and then record yourself playing grooves and listen. See if you can make that sound. It took me many years to really get hold of it.

Secondly: In light of Steven Wilson's recent solo album release, when is the next probable time frame for a Porcupine Tree US tour? (alas I didn't know of PT last time y'all came around here, grrr). I live in Cleveland, OH, and I very much look forward to experiencing the power of PT live

most like we will be back sometime next year with a new album and then start touring again. I have no definite date.

by the way - I'll be playing a little at the House Of Blues Cleveland on Thursday lunchtime and evening - and then teaching at the Fantasy Drum Camp located in the same street Friday through Monday.

cheers
Gavin
Old 08-10-2011, 05:15 PM

Gavin! Amazing we can interact with you here. I've been watching your DVDs, studying them hard, and I am experimenting with some newly purchased drum mics, recording gear, and a brand new set of DW Collector Series drums.

I was wondering if you could show us a picture, or explain how you normally place your overhead mics in a studio recording situation, and how your overheads are panned.

Currently I have two Rode NT5's pointing straight down, and the left overhead panned hard left, right overhead panned hard right.

What is your take on overhead placement, as well as where you keep the overheads in the mix? I've been told by a friend of mine that he likes to keep his overheads very low in the mix, however I don't mic up any of my cymbals.

I also have the drums setup in my finished basement - it's carpeted, and drywalled, and the drums are in somewhat of a condensed space.

Cheers Gavin!
Old 08-11-2011, 04:48 AM

Hey Gavin, what's up?
Old 08-12-2011, 01:33 PM

Hey Gavin

How do you count the break in the intro of Futile?

Cheers,
Matt
Old 08-12-2011, 04:07 PM

Hey Gavin, I understand the 'We lost the skyline' recordings were just Steve Wilson and John Wesley because there wasn't enough room at the place for the rest of the band's gear. If you had to minimise your kit for a much smaller performance, what would you take for your kit and what would you leave?

Also, I saw on the back of a modern drummer magazine the Zildjian Trashformer cymbals being advertised with your picture (endorsing?) on it. Have you used them on any of your setups for Porcupine Tree/ session work? I have 8" and 10" models that I stack on top of each other that gives a nice trashy sound similar to the sound of your 12" Oriental China, but I haven't really experimented with them much more than that.

Finally, I saw on Paul Cusick's Facebook that you (and Maro Minneman) have provided drums for some songs on his new album. Can you tell us anything about the songs and how you got to working together?

Thanks for your time.
Old 08-15-2011, 05:14 AM

Gavin, I just wanted to say thanks again for such an informative master class at FDC today. I was really looking forward to the discussion about polyrhythms and metric modulation, and they were very cool. The one thing that surprised me is how much I enjoyed the double bass portion of the class. I don't play a double pedal(haven't owned one since the very first Iron Cobra double), but after seeing your take on double bass playing( I too am not a fan of constant straight 16ths or triplets) I am actually considering using one again. The hand exercises were also excellent,.... man what an ass kicker. Thanks for everything!

Jay Alsman
http://www.facebook.com/jay.alsman
Old 08-15-2011, 08:09 AM

Hello Gavin, it's me Robert from Lithuania again. I've got one little issue with my drumset and I would like to know your opinion on that. I've got a four-toms based set. Two rack toms and two floor toms (10-12-14-16). Whenever I hit the bass drum (pretty hard), the bass drum makes my 12" and 14" toms ring and vibrate, which causes me to feel a kinda annoying vibration from the bass drums pedal to my foot (not the heel but the front part of the foot where it's in touch with the pedal), or maybe its not the pedal that is vibrating but just the air. Would you, Gavin, imagine yourself in such situation and could you tell me what would you have done to make it get away? Thanks very much and once again, I admire your honest communication here on this forum and I wish you all the best.

Cheers,
Robert from Vilnius.
Old 08-15-2011, 01:23 PM

Hi Gavin, after having finished german high school next year I'd like to study music/drums.
I love the way you play and been listening to lots of your interviews recently, however I've still got two questions for you:

Question 1: Have you ever studied music (at university) ?
Question 2: If there would be a time where you would spend months out of work, would you then take on sidejobs (nothing to do with music) to get by?

Thank you very much and I hope to see you soon!
Best regards
Paul
Old 08-19-2011, 05:18 AM

Hello Gavin!

First off, just want to say how much you've influenced my playing, especially with respect to "enhancement therapy" with the kick drum. Anyways, I have 2 questions:

1. During the creation of songs for Porcupine Tree, who comes up with the idea for an odd time signature? If it's you, or even if it's Steve or another, is the odd time signature "forced" (to some extent) and then riffs/melodies written around it? (An example would be that the verse of song XX is going to be in 7, let's come up with a guitar/vocal part that fits).

2. I was reading the summary of David Letterman show (your appearance in August) and I was surprised that there was no mention of Porcupine Tree (as part of your credits on the CBS website). Just curious what your feelings on that were, maybe perhaps the fact that Porcupine Tree is too far away from mainstream (especially in the US)...?
Old 08-19-2011, 07:10 AM
Gold Member

Gavin,

How did you enjoy Cleveland? Did you hit any noteworthy restaurants/places of interest?
As a resident it's always interesting to hear a visitors perspective of our fair city.
Glad you had a chance to visit...looking forward to your next PT show here.

Best,
F
Old 08-19-2011, 07:16 AM

hey gavin i love your drumming. my question is the hi hat drop clutch did you get that custom made, if not i would like to know how to get one of those.
Old 08-19-2011, 12:12 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakester View Post
hey gavin i love your drumming. my question is the hi hat drop clutch did you get that custom made, if not i would like to know how to get one of those.
HeyHey,

it's the DW Dropclutch ;)
https://static.hieber-lindberg.de/hl/popup/sm5o5.jpg
Old 08-22-2011, 03:51 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi jpipdw

I was wondering if you could show us a picture, or explain how you normally place your overhead mics in a studio recording situation, and how your overheads are panned.What is your take on overhead placement, as well as where you keep the overheads in the mix? I've been told by a friend of mine that he likes to keep his overheads very low in the mix, however I don't mic up any of my cymbals.

I don't have a picture of them - but they are about 6" above my ears and about 6" behind them - so they are like an extension of my ears. It's so I can get the sound of the whole kit rather than treating them as just 'cymbal' mics. It depends on the song how high I have them in the mix. I pan them as I hear them - from the perspective of sitting behind the drums.

Hi xfilth

How do you count the break in the intro of Futile?

what do you mean by "the break"? The whole song is in 4/4 apart from a 3/4 bar that reoccurs in the chorus.

Hi mutzy

I understand the 'We lost the skyline' recordings were just Steve Wilson and John Wesley because there wasn't enough room at the place for the rest of the band's gear. If you had to minimise your kit for a much smaller performance, what would you take for your kit and what would you leave?

I could have done it with a much smaller version of my kit - but our equipment had already left for Mexico - so I would have had to try and rent or borrow something. The performance took place in a record store that really wasn't ready for a complex recording situation or even have the room for us all to set up.

Also, I saw on the back of a modern drummer magazine the Zildjian Trashformer cymbals being advertised with your picture (endorsing?) on it. Have you used them on any of your setups for Porcupine Tree/ session work? I have 8" and 10" models that I stack on top of each other that gives a nice trashy sound similar to the sound of your 12" Oriental China, but I haven't really experimented with them much more than that.

I like those - but I haven't used them on any recordings yet.

Finally, I saw on Paul Cusick's Facebook that you (and Maro Minneman) have provided drums for some songs on his new album. Can you tell us anything about the songs and how you got to working together?

I play on three songs. Paul contacted me and I liked what he was doing - so it was a fun thing to do.

Hi scottishhaggis

I've got one little issue with my drumset and I would like to know your opinion on that. I've got a four-toms based set. Two rack toms and two floor toms (10-12-14-16). Whenever I hit the bass drum (pretty hard), the bass drum makes my 12" and 14" toms ring and vibrate, which causes me to feel a kinda annoying vibration from the bass drums pedal to my foot (not the heel but the front part of the foot where it's in touch with the pedal), or maybe its not the pedal that is vibrating but just the air. Would you, Gavin, imagine yourself in such situation and could you tell me what would you have done to make it get away? Thanks very much and once again, I admire your honest communication here on this forum and I wish you all the best.

I imagine that you have a completely open bass drum sound with no dampening inside? I like to use dampening and so I never have felt that problem - but I can imagine that it's annoying.

Hi totopaul

Question 1: Have you ever studied music (at university) ?

no I had private tuition.

Question 2: If there would be a time where you would spend months out of work, would you then take on sidejobs (nothing to do with music) to get by?

There were many times that I was out of work for months - and luckily I had (just) enough money to support myself. So I used that time to practise hard.

Hi formula428

1. During the creation of songs for Porcupine Tree, who comes up with the idea for an odd time signature? If it's you, or even if it's Steve or another, is the odd time signature "forced" (to some extent) and then riffs/melodies written around it? (An example would be that the verse of song XX is going to be in 7, let's come up with a guitar/vocal part that fits).

The odd time signatures are never 'forced' onto a composition. The tune or riff is already written in a particular time signature. Sometimes in a band writing session someone might have an idea to develop a section in another time signature - but there always needs to be a musical reason to do it - we never do it just to be clever.

2. I was reading the summary of David Letterman show (your appearance in August) and I was surprised that there was no mention of Porcupine Tree (as part of your credits on the CBS website). Just curious what your feelings on that were, maybe perhaps the fact that Porcupine Tree is too far away from mainstream (especially in the US)...?

I didn't have any input into that - I guess someone at the show has the job to research these things and write the summaries - and perhaps they don't know PT very well.

Hi Florian

How did you enjoy Cleveland? Did you hit any noteworthy restaurants/places of interest? As a resident it's always interesting to hear a visitors perspective of our fair city.
Glad you had a chance to visit...looking forward to your next PT show here.

The Fantasy Drum Camp in Cleveland was great. I enjoyed it - even though I don't teach or have any students - it was exhausting talking for 6 hours a day - but it was a real pleasure to hang with the other instructors.

cheers
Gavin
Old 08-24-2011, 01:20 AM

Hi!

I read an entry on Tamas Facebook page promoting your appearance on the David Letterman show! It stated that you were a speed cobra endorse. Do you play those exclusively now? I believed you were an axis guy?

Just ordered a pair of speed cobras myself! Looking forward to getting my feet on them! What's your experience with them? Good pedals?

Cheers! Thanks for answering our questions, really great! Rock on!
Old 08-24-2011, 05:48 AM

Default Re: Thanks Gavin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Simmons View Post
GuysÖ.I hope this doesnít come across as spammy. If it does, just let me know and Iíll remove this post. Thatís not my intentÖ

I wanted to share this newly minted track with the people on this forum. Gavin played drums on this song and really made it come to life for me. I realize that Iím probably preaching to the choir here, but I just wanted to say that, other than being one of the most creative drummers Iíve ever heard, he is a true professional in every aspect and I canít wait to work with him again.

The song was recorded in my home studio with the exception of Gavinís tracks which he did in his studio in London. The link to my website below will give you access to the full length .wav file for free (right click the song and Save As to your hard drive). If you like it, you can help me do the next one with Gavin by downloading it on iTunes. I have 6 more songs in this series to record. Iím releasing the music under the name Exovex which is nothing more than my solo recording project (not a band).

http://dalesimmons.com/Exovex/

Daylight (Radio Silence Part IV)
is the song title.

A little more info about the song and the project.
http://exovex.com/

Thanks,
Dale
Very cool song Dale! and the drummer isn't half bad either ;-)

In full disclosure, two friends of mine mixed and mastered this, so I have a little bias regarding the sound - but seriously, very cool stuff!
Old 08-24-2011, 08:05 AM

Gavin, very nice job on the Letterman show! It looks like you had a blast, and the band did a great job accompanying you.

Seeing as how you're not known for doing drum solos, how did you approach this? Apart from the full band sections, how much was improvised and how much was planned out?

And also, what was the song you built the solo around? (...that was "The Chicken" - Bernhard)

Last edited by Bernhard; 08-24-2011 at 09:34 AM.
Old 08-24-2011, 09:23 AM
Platinum Member

Oh yes, and as always, you're so incredibly clean and tight, and (as I wrote in the
Letterman thread) your ability to concentrate and focus must be exceptional. How
did you work on that? Is it mostly the tape recording and listening back thing, or
are there other things that helped you or still help you?
Old 08-24-2011, 09:35 AM
Platinum Member

Stunning stuff on the Letterman show Gavin! Such control, feel, & definition. Absolutely wow from start to finish. You stole the series for me Gavin, & isn't this a great showcase for drumming in general. Love it, love it all.
Old 08-24-2011, 09:43 AM
Official DW Chief Transcriber

Great job Gavin!

Drums sounded so good. Amazing stuff, man!!

Terry
Old 08-24-2011, 10:30 AM
Founder Drummerworld

The full appearance is here:

http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/g...anchicken.html

Congratulations Gavin!!

Terry Branam: hmmm, what's about a.....hmmm???!!!???!!!

Bernhard

Old 08-24-2011, 11:39 AM
Official DW Chief Transcriber

Haha! Bernhard, you know me too well!

Would be a really good one for sure.
Old 08-24-2011, 11:55 AM
Platinum Member

Hi Gavin, I'm curious about how you and the orchestra synched up mid-solo. Please tell me it wasn't just counting bars to a click! :) Fabulous drumming BTW. Are you still playing with Bob Fripp and co?
Old 08-24-2011, 12:00 PM
Platinum Member

Hi Gavin, you're an unbelievable drummer (you already know ;-) and your appearance on the Letterman Show was spectacular. I find that herta foot pattern you played in combination with those small cymbals very impressive, it reminds me of the pattern on the MESHUGGAH song "Bleed". Didn't that herta pattern take at least some practice??
Old 08-24-2011, 03:17 PM

Hello Gavin,

as the others already stated it seems you had really fun on the "Letterman show."

My question: Does it feel more natural to you to play jazz?

A musical friend of mine often says, that rock is more easy than jazz: I disagree, playing good rock music is a hard thing...
Old 08-24-2011, 03:21 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollyanna View Post
Hi Gavin, I'm curious about how you and the orchestra synched up mid-solo. Please tell me it wasn't just counting bars to a click! :) Fabulous drumming BTW. Are you still playing with Bob Fripp and co?
I was wondering the same thing.

Super awesome playing Gavin, any plans for any UK clinics? :-)
Old 08-24-2011, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Super awesome playing Gavin, any plans for any UK clinics?
He was in the UK a couple of months ago, but you should come back Gavin! I missed your clinic in Edinburgh last time!

Anyway I was just posting to agree with everybody that you played a beasting solo last night.
Old 08-24-2011, 05:03 PM
Gold Member

Gavin,

WELL DONE! Your Letterman spot was fantastic. I really enjoyed seeing you kick ass on American TV. You really looked like you had fun. Simply put, you were brilliant!

Cheers!

F
Old 08-24-2011, 05:20 PM
Platinum Member

Did your earth shattering performance on Letterman have anything to do with the earthquake?
Old 08-24-2011, 07:00 PM

You ever think about drumming for more free jazz, big band or classical pieces?

Loved the lettermen performance!