DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 05-13-2011, 09:25 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeSnyder View Post
Hey Gavin, I just ordered your Rhythmic Horizons and Rhythmic Visions DVDs, I can't WAIT for them to arrive. I'm sure that they'll immediately consume a week of my life. I'm excited!
Oh yeah, you'll love them!! You should buy the books, too!! At least the first one, for starters!
Old 05-13-2011, 05:26 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiss Matthias View Post
Oh yeah, you'll love them!! You should buy the books, too!! At least the first one, for starters!
I'm planning on getting those too! I've heard that they're scary hard, haha.
Old 05-13-2011, 11:00 PM

Hi Gavin!!!

First, I‘m a great admirer of your work. Thank you for share your knowledge with us.

After months of work and convince my wife haha, I‘m ordering an Sonor SQ2 drumset like yours (8, 10, 12, 14/15, 16"). It‘s an old dream come true.

But to me is difficult decide what kind of shell is the ideal.

Yesterday I called to Sonor and they recommended the vintage maple shell, because it produces an open sound that fits in every music style.

I know that you have two drumsets, in USA - vintage and in Europe - like the old designer.

I heard and watch all your dvd‘s and internet clips to compare the sound of both kits (like in the song anesthetize from Atlanta album and from the DVD), but I didn‘t find great differences and don‘t know what comes from the drum shell and what is the room, mics, effects, mixer.........

So, my question is:

1) In your opinion what‘s the difference in sound betwen these drums in a raw situation, without microphones?

I‘ll use it in a home studio and in the church. I‘m not a thrash/death metal guy, I like to play songs like 19 days, plasson, and some of Porcupine Tree, Incognito...

2) In your opinion what kind of shell sounds better on these kind of songs?

Thank you very much,

Marcos (from Brazil)
Ah, last year my friend brought from England to me a Gavin Harrison signature snare drum. I love it, great snare...
Old 05-14-2011, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slike... View Post
Hi Gavin,

Here's my first question: Keith Jarret once said that you can find a world class jazz pianist, a world class classical pianist, but that it is extremely rare to find a pianist who is both at the same time. He sait it has to do with the way the brain is wired. (or maybe rewired, lol).
Do you think this applies to drummers too, whether in terms of styles or in the case of a very recognisable musical identity?
I think I'll answer this one a bit for you (as I have seen the documentary about Keith where this line comes from, in fact I believe it was Herbie Hancock who said this about Keith Jarett) although it's not really drum related (but perhaps that Gavin understands the question better now).

The difference between jazz and classical music (and this is true for any instrument, not just the piano) is the way a composition should be interpreted and amount of information that is given to you as a player. Classical music has every note and nuance scored out. A piece should be performed exactly as written on the page. Jazz is not perse the opposite but a lot more freely. The aim of Jazz is to play in the moment which gives the result of every performance being different. You have a lot of freedom to interpret the music that's on the manuscript paper. Jazz is a lot about creating your own parts in the moment you are playing, classical music has it all scored out for you. This is probably the difference in neurological processes in your brain. Schematically, this is what happens when playing classical music:
Read the music on the paper -> translate that info to your limbs -> perhaps take cues from the conductor (depending if you are playing solo or in an orchestra) to adjust your playing and interpret the paper in a slightly different way (perhaps the feel or the tempo).

And this is what happens with jazz:
Read the lead scheme on the paper -> interprent this into your brain -> listen to what everybody else is doing -> try to see what you can play with the (very basic) information you got from the paper and develop an idea out of that -> translate that to your limbs -> hear the result -> perhaps adjust as you go along in your idea

As you can see, there is much more happening when playing jazz. And this is what makes Keith stand out (though Chick Corea is probably on par with Keith, Herbie a little bit less I think). Keith (and Chick for that matter) has the ability to play with orchestra's and play any classical composition in the way a classical player would. However, they are also able to interpret the music and adjust/arrange it on the fly, while playing in such a setting (i'm not sure if Keith ever did that, but I know Chick did when performing Mozarts compositions with orchestras). They can bend the rules in any way they want at any given time. Jazz pianists can really improvise (and in the case of some, like Keith, Chick and Herbie also arrange/compose) at any given time over any lead sheet and make something out of it. Classical pianists can traditionally only play what's in front of them. Take any piano piece from Mozart, the notes played are always the same, no matter who's playing. Take any Jazz standard and it's never the same. That's the difference in training and what makes it difficult for a classical pianist to play with a jazz quartet and for a jazz pianist to play with an orchestra and perform a Rachmaninov composition. It's not really a style issue (as I believe you are implying with your question). It's a "skill" in reading and interpretation.

sidenote: some of the best improvisers in jazz are also some of the best composers in jazz. Improvising, composing and arranging are very closely linked to each other.
Old 05-15-2011, 11:10 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

HI K_HiHats

what is it that you are doing in the last section of 'Cheating the Polygraph' ? (It's my current favorite song to play) It's around 6:50 in or so, that little last part. It's just something that bugs me every time I play it, and from the DVD standpoint, I sort of have an idea (it has something to do with your side snare, I think) but I think it would be better if you explain it.

It's triplets grouped into 5/8 (but inside a 4/4 time signature). It's actually the same pattern as the start of this video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKCIUpW3q9s

I have no way of transcribing it for you here. Maybe someone else could do it for you?

Hi Heck99

Have you had any experience with the ZIldjian K Custom Hybrid line of cymbals? I thought I had seen a Hybrid crash of some sort on a recent picture of your kit. What did you think of them?

Yes I have a 19" crash and it is very good indeed. I haven't tried the whole line yet. So many cymbals - so little time to try them all.

Hi Dont Taze Me Bro

I recently found out Remo came out with a new bass drum head, the Powerstroke Pro I believe it is. I was just wondering if you'd tried it yet or were planning to, and if you have what your opinion was on it. I'm contemplating switching to it from my Powerstroke 3.

Yes I'd like to try it - but they were not available in the UK last time I checked. I saw and heard one at a Remo demo day and I was very impressed.

Hi Nils

I'd like to know if your really played it and from what kind of cymbal it was made. Inside the bell 20" is written so I think it was a Ride once.

yes I did play it. It would have been made from a small cymbal and not a ride.

My second question is if there is any possibility to get some PT Playalongs.

The short answer is no. I don't own the tracks - and sometimes (as in the case of In Absentia for instance) Warner Bros own the recordings.

Hi Kalma

some time ago you were asked about your Overhead-position.
If I remember right, you said you have them behind you as they were extensions of your ear. So I guess, they are in a Y-Position?
Like in this picutre, just behind you?
http://recording.easylabs.de/_files/.../09/itpd13.jpg

Yes they are in an open Y position right behind my head - about 6 inches above. But not like that picture.

Hi Ramtin HajatDoust

You are arrange the Gain of your microphones for high level and Maximum peak without attention the leakage or use the best Gain for Minimum leakage and use the ambiance sound on your mix in your studio?

I set set the gain for optimal level without distortion.

Are you using the online compressors for recording or recording the raw sound then use it in your studio?

I don't use any compression before the sound gets to the recorder. Only a little bit of EQ from my analog desk. All other processing is done inside the computer after the recording is done.

Hi steste50

1. In your studio drumset you got Your inside bassdrum mic hanging in the middle.
Is the inside pillow out of the way between the impact area
of the beater and the mic? In case the pillow was on the way does it affect the transient?

Yes the pillow is out of the way.

2. I've read on a manual that in order to choose the best place for the drumset in a
room you have to go around with a floor tom and play it until you find the sweet spot
because the floor tom is the hardest thing to get a good sound from. What did you
do for chosing the rite place of your drumset as a starting point in your studio?

In my studio there was only one position to place my drums - so I didn't make this test as you describe.

3. What card do u use on your mac to speak with your Rosetta's?

MOTU Traveler.

4. Talking with u about the famous PAINT CAN INSIDE THE BASS DRUM a la Simon Phillips it suddenly reminded me of the water bottle trick for the sub. Plus it reminded me of how bass traps work. So the whole thing should come from treating a bass drum in a similar way we do for listening rooms i.e. we play with frequency responses of different object to change the response of the room. Am i rite? :)

You could do that if you so wish.

Hi Rítmico

1) In your opinion what‘s the difference in sound betwen these drums in a raw situation, without microphones?

I would say that if you play quieter music then the vintage shells work great. If you play more rock music then the thin/medium shells are better - but the difference is small.
It's also a matter of personal taste - so I can't really tell you what to get.

Hi Elyar Khosravi

i see different microphones in ur clinic or PT live or festival but your sound is samething and doesn't change, how u mix your sound ?do you have a own mixer ? or how u edit your sound .

The sound does change - but not that much. It's very important to understand that most of the sound comes from the drummer and the way a drummer hits the drums. Having good drums and good heads are of course a big help - but it won't make you sound like someone else.

cheers
Gavin
Old 05-15-2011, 08:40 PM

Hey Gavin,

did you have some physical problems in your time as a drummer (except tenosynovitis)
because of the drumming? If so can you tell me about it?
I'm asking because your kit is wider than mine and I read somewhere
that sportsmen (athlete's etc.) have problems with their rotators because they
have to do some overhead motions. I don't know if you can apply that to drumming.
Maybe you can say something to that if you know what i mean.

Thanks Gavin!!!
Old 05-16-2011, 03:27 AM

Hey Gavin! Thanks for the response. I think I understand a bit more now, and I already knew about the video. I've watched it like 20 times. It's a really good tune.

Now just one question. (That's right! I'm only asking ONE question this time!) Interestingly enough, it regards that tune you referenced me to, only this is the DVD version I'm talking about. In the video (link below), there is a splash between your two crashes. I'm just wondering: what is that splash? I recognize the sound from one or two of the albums, and I just love the sound it makes. I'm just wondering what it may be. (Possibly an EFX #1 Splash? I can only guess that because I know that you may have used one at some point.)

Here's the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egmqHXCR370

Thanks for taking the time to answer.

Cheers --Peter
Old 05-17-2011, 03:57 AM
Silver Member

Hello there,

I just had a thought while discussing it with a friend of mine who's also a huge fan of yours (even though he's not a drummer) and he absolutely loves your cover of Killer Joe from the Guitar Center sessions. Do you know who's arrangement/recording of the song that you played over was? Or was it an original arrangement that was specifically for you? Thanks in advance. (:
Old 05-17-2011, 10:04 AM

Thanks for the reply Gavin! I really appreciate it. Hope to see you at a Porcupine Tree show in the near future!
Old 05-17-2011, 12:07 PM

Hi Gavin

Have a quick question for you!

Been watching a number of your videos in regards to musical drumming vs technical drumming - ive been playing for about 5/6 years now, and i guess ive been getting less impressed with the uber technical stuff and more impressed with some of the classical drumming - Jeff Porcaro/ Weckl etc. One reason i enjoy your drumming as much is you seem to blend those more classical elements with contemporary technicality, which is a really nice balance.

To my question:

I grew up listening to a particular drummer that is well known, i guess, for over playing a lot - which sort of goes with the music really. I really still enjoy this music, however its now gotten to the point that in my efforts to copy that player I am playing a very similar style, yet not in the context of such technical music, which as you can imagine might cause a number of issues!!

I was wondering how i go about 'un-learning' things, or at least tempering it so that I don't destroy the music or annoy other players by playing what i think is natural simply because its in-grained in me to play a certain way. I find myself simply doing the same stuff over and over which can be a great frustration as well!

Many thanks for your work in helping us drummers become more musical and less egotistical! :)

Also, if folks have the time, please have a look at the 3 min video in my signature - hope it is helpful!
Old 05-17-2011, 02:34 PM

Hi K_HiHats,

Here is a transcription of the end of Cheating the Polygraph. Gavin posted it a few time ago.

Cheers, Alex
Attached Images

Old 05-17-2011, 06:07 PM

Hi Gavin, When I looked around the forum I saw you mentioned various books or dvds which can help. I ordered rhythmic illusions, I'm really excited to read it and I know about your other books and dvds, but I wonder if you could give some advice/ tips on what books to look at, because there are so many of them and I just haven't got an overview yet. (If it is possible at all to get it) Thanks in advance and keep it up, you're doing a fantastic job ;)
Old 05-18-2011, 04:30 AM

Hey Alex P.! Thanks for the transcription. This is much better now. I planned on sending out a call for it anyways, but I guess you saved me the trouble! So... Thanks a bunch. By the way, I just wanna take the time to thank you for transcribing some of the PT songs, especially 'Blackest Eyes.' However, I can't seem to get pages 1 and 5 of 'The Start of Something Beautiful.' It brings up this "404 Not Found" Message when I click on the links you have posted from a while ago. Do you, or does anyone else know what happened? Could you possibly just repost the images on here? (It's much easier to save and print from here.) Thanks.

Cheers --Peter

Last edited by K_HiHats; 05-18-2011 at 05:16 AM.
Old 05-19-2011, 09:22 AM

Hi Gavin!

Do you feel your timing varies ever so slightly from day-to-day or do you wake up every morning and can bury the quarter note click at 40bpm with ease? I feel that some days I just have to work a bit harder to be accurate at certain tempos. Any thoughts and ideas on this?

When you play to a click at eg a PT show or during a session, do you sometimes wander off the click (I mean just a small fraction, probably only noticeable by you) during a fill or difficult passage or do you feel you are always bang on it, if you want to, whatever you play?

Cheers
Peter Yttergren
Old 05-19-2011, 09:52 PM

Hi Gavin,

Thanks for your answer and attention.

Just one more question:

What‘s the reason to choose a 15" floor tom instead the most common 14" in your Euro kit?

Thank you,

Marcos
Old 05-19-2011, 11:53 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elyar Khosravi View Post
thnx gavin , some more questions :

1-which software you use for recording?

2- how can i get ur soundtracks without drums ( swerve , 19, slippin away , futile ) or its impossible ?

thnx
-1- Search this Forum
-2- Search this Forum =) But 19 days is on his Horizons Dvd (I think)
-> Swerve, Futile and Slippin away are not available as playalong
Old 05-20-2011, 01:02 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nergretty View Post
When you play to a click at eg a PT show or during a session, do you sometimes wander off the click (I mean just a small fraction, probably only noticeable by you) during a fill or difficult passage or do you feel you are always bang on it, if you want to, whatever you play?
Hi Gavin, I want to add a question to the above:

If you do wander off a bit, do you have to slowly get back to the click, or are you in the
position to stop the click and start it off again (if all the synchronisation allows for that)?

By the way, looking forward to seeing you at one of the clinics in Switzerland!!
Old 05-22-2011, 08:50 PM
Gold Member

Hey Gavin,
I just had one more question about your signature snare.
How thick is it in mm, and what are the bearing edges on it?

Thank you!
Old 05-24-2011, 12:30 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi crystalfunky

did you have some physical problems in your time as a drummer (except tenosynovitis)
because of the drumming? If so can you tell me about it?

I don't have tenosynovitis. I have tinnitus. I haven't had many serious problems luckily.

Hi K_HiHats

In the video (link below), there is a splash between your two crashes. I'm just wondering: what is that splash? I recognize the sound from one or two of the albums, and I just love the sound it makes. I'm just wondering what it may be. (Possibly an EFX #1 Splash? I can only guess that because I know that you may have used one at some point.)

Yes it's the EFX 1 (8") not really a splash - more of a chime.

Hi Chaos_Inferno

Killer Joe from the Guitar Center sessions. Do you know who's arrangement/recording of the song that you played over was? Or was it an original arrangement that was specifically for you?

It was arranged by the brilliant bass player Laurence Cottle especially for me.

Hi Nextor

I was wondering how i go about 'un-learning' things, or at least tempering it so that I don't destroy the music or annoy other players by playing what i think is natural simply because its in-grained in me to play a certain way. I find myself simply doing the same stuff over and over which can be a great frustration as well!

I don't think you need to un-learn things. You've taken the first step in recognising that the drummer you've been copying is someone that you think 'overplays'. Just stop listening to that guy and open your ears to other drummers. When you feel yourself going to play one of his fills - stop yourself and play something else.

Hi Sticks_n_Stones

When I looked around the forum I saw you mentioned various books or dvds which can help. I ordered rhythmic illusions, I'm really excited to read it and I know about your other books and dvds, but I wonder if you could give some advice/ tips on what books to look at, because there are so many of them and I just haven't got an overview yet. (If it is possible at all to get it)

if you're referring to my books and DVDs - I would start with the Rhythmic Illusions book and then get the Rhythmic Visions DVD. That's the basis of the initial concepts.

Hi Nergretty

Do you feel your timing varies ever so slightly from day-to-day or do you wake up every morning and can bury the quarter note click at 40bpm with ease? I feel that some days I just have to work a bit harder to be accurate at certain tempos. Any thoughts and ideas on this?

It depends how accurately you're listening. I need to be in the right concentrated state of mind.

It depends how accurately you're listening. If you looked at it under a microscope on a computer then probably there isn't one note exactly in time to the degree of 0.01 milliseconds. It depends what you consider is acceptably in time or not. Is 5ms either side of the click ok? How about 20ms? I don't feel like I wander off the click that much according to my 'window of acceptability'.

Hi Rítmico

What‘s the reason to choose a 15" floor tom instead the most common 14" in your Euro kit?

I just preferred the sound of it. I felt like the 14" didn't quite have enough balls.

Hi Swiss Matthias

If you do wander off a bit, do you have to slowly get back to the click, or are you in the
position to stop the click and start it off again (if all the synchronisation allows for that)?

I never get so far out that I'd have to stop the click. For instance if I have to play a bar of 16ths - I'm referencing the click all the way. I don't play the whole bar of 16s and then at the end of it realise that I've lost the click. I'd know immediately after the 2nd or 3rd 16ths that if I was starting to go away from the click.

Hi daredrummer

I just had one more question about your signature snare.
How thick is it in mm, and what are the bearing edges on it?

I don't actually know. It's not my signature snare drum. I didn't have any hand in the design of it. It is a "Limited Edition" reissue of a 1990's Sonor Designer snare drum that I have played a lot in the past.

Cheers
Gavin
Old 05-26-2011, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox622003 View Post
Hey this is offline,
can somebody upload this again?
Thanks!!!
Old 05-26-2011, 08:35 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalfunky View Post
Hey this is offline,
can somebody upload this again?
Thanks!!!
LOL, like three people have asked for that already in the last few weeks. I wish I had downloaded it; brilliant transcription. Not sure why it was taken down, I am pretty sure the one who wrote it was very much interested in making some money off it, so perhaps he's going to use it in a compendium or something. Might want to try sending him an e-mail, I don't know.

Fox.
Old 05-27-2011, 06:15 AM

Hey Gavin!

I was just wondering when you first began using a double pedal and how you initially started practicing on it? What sort of exercises did you do to increase endurance, precision, and general leg and foot strength? What kind of rudiments?

Kind of a long-winded question, but I appreciate you taking the time! Please come back to Minnesota on the next US leg of a tour! The North Star State needs some PT again
Old 05-28-2011, 12:36 AM

GAAAVIN!
Thank you sooo much for your rhythmic illusions book, I just got it and I play drums for 10 years now and I did stuck in a creativ rut... I began with the first chapter and did the practise box..... It took me 30 min for 1 bar with simple triplets, but the counting in combination with the accents was so strange, I couldn't play it right away!
I was absolutely astounded because I didn't expect that to happen right at the start!

To all of you out there who can play well and are taught by a music teacher, BUY this book because you hardly work on this stuff in your lessons.
Old 05-28-2011, 10:52 PM

Hey Gavin! Thanks for the response. I actually have an 8 inch and a 10 inch EFX #1 that someone got for me off of eBay. I still like the sound of it in person just as much as in the video. Well, anyways, no more questions right now.

By the way... HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Hope you're having a good one and keep up all the drumming that inspires us all to be better drummers as well. Clearly this (May 28th) is the best day of the year. Either that, Christmas, or my birthday! (Ha Ha!)

Cheers --Peter

P.S. - Blackest Eyes and Cheating the Polygraph are the two best songs you've done with Porcupine Tree. You're an awesome person!
Old 06-03-2011, 12:39 PM

Hi Gavin!
Shaken your game! Play from the heart! In my list of best drummers you, Dave Weckl and Vinnie Kolaiuta! Throw please aftograf to e-mail, if you can find the time)))) kriptolon@gmail.сom In Russia, too, have your fans!))) Thank you !!!)))
PS))) Sorry for not very good translation,
Old 06-06-2011, 11:30 PM

hey gavin
i was just wondering how tight your bassdrum heads are, and how this effects the sound of the bassdrum. i just started playing an acoustic, so i don't know how to get the sound i want, without tuning it so high that it sounds like a tomtom (like my drumteacher's bassdrum).
cheers man
Old 06-07-2011, 08:49 PM

Hey there Gavin,

I hope your enjoying your clinics around Europe, it must be really exciting and refreshing!

Here's my question: At the beginning of the song Salvaging (Insurgentes), your playing quarter notes on your hi-hat and your filling in with toms, were you using open handed technique to have such liberty around the kit?

How do you feel about Quebec City (Canada) I know you guys (Porcupine Tree) came here a lot, is the crowd any different?! Is the city charming?! Any special memory?! Hahah :)

Thanks for all the daily inspiration and for answering all these questions. Im sure it means a lot to all these fans of your work here!

Ethan, Quebec(Canada)
Old 06-09-2011, 12:44 PM
Silver Member

Just wanted to say that Gavin's clinic in Manchester was superb! Great playing & all round a good vibe. Going to try and learn a few things he demonstrated by the time I get to the drum camp in Cleveland in August!

A quick question too... Do you use any kind of click-pad on your bass drum? I use an Evans one (not a metal one, just a mylar type) but I'd like to find a beater that doesn't get worn SO quickly, but not a wooden one!

Cheers!
Old 06-13-2011, 01:41 AM

Hey Gavin! Remember when I said that I didn't have any questions in my last post? Well I do now! These are both for the album In Absentia.

1) On the original recording of 'Blackest Eyes,' is it that you recorded the chorus completely on the ride (without the bell), unlike how you play it live today with the bell? Was it intended to be on the bell like when you play it live, or did you just discover that it sounds better with the bell on the quarter note?

2) On the original version of 'The Creator Has A Mastertape,' is it that during the chorus that you are playing quarters on the bell of the ride or eighths on both the bell and regular part of the ride? Thanks for answering.

Cheers --Peter
Old 06-13-2011, 03:13 AM

Hi Gavin

Just wanted to say thanks for a fantastic clinic up in sunny Washington with the Drum Shop Gateshead guys. Inspirational technique and groove delivered with flair as always. It's also very refreshing that a guy such as yourself at the top of his game remains so grounded and approachable...a real bonus for us fans. Once the clinic tour is over when will you next perform in the UK?

Best wishes

Mixamuss
Old 06-14-2011, 12:10 AM

Hi Gavin, I just saw your second to last UK clinic in Colchester yesterday - great gig!

One thing I was going to ask you, but then we were running out of time, was about Mother And Child Divided, which seems to be more or less completely about drums. I was going to ask whether it was something you had wanted to do; a track focusing on drums, or was it a couple of riffs/parts that Steven had come up with, and then maybe said to you "here, take these parts and just go nuts with them, shape the song around your drums" ? It's an awesome track, one of my most listened to tracks, along with Anesthetize and Deadwing.

Anyway, thanks for a great clinic on Sunday, it was a great way to spend a Sunday afternoon!
Old 06-14-2011, 07:37 AM

Hello Gavin,
Although I'm not too deep into your music, I have seen heard enough to know you are quite legendary.

Being 14, I was wondering when you started playing and your old methods of practice (frequency, specifications on practice and whatnot, anything that could benefit me in following in the footsteps of a master like yourself)

-Daniel
Old 06-14-2011, 11:59 AM

Hello to all.

I would like to express my thanks to everyone involved with last nights' Gavin Harrison clinic in chesham. It was a fantastic night and enjoyed by all.

I'd like to thank Gavin again, both for playing and for signing the cymbal (I was the lucky bugger who won it in the raffle)

Once again, without fail the playing was exceptional, although that goes without saying.

An inspirational night so thank you very much, Phil.
Old 06-21-2011, 11:42 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Absentia-Planet

I was just wondering when you first began using a double pedal and how you initially started practicing on it? What sort of exercises did you do to increase endurance, precision, and general leg and foot strength? What kind of rudiments?

I began with the first DW double pedal in 1984. I was just messing around with it trying to use it in fills and grooves. I'm still trying to do that now. I don't think I'm a good role model for playing double pedal - I never wanted to play fast or play the 16th note ostinato on it. All I can tell you from my years of playing double pedal is that I always play heels up -a lways play single strokes and always begin with the right foot.

Hi LuukMeijwaard

i was just wondering how tight your bassdrum heads are, and how this effects the sound of the bassdrum. i just started playing an acoustic, so i don't know how to get the sound i want, without tuning it so high that it sounds like a tomtom (like my drumteacher's bassdrum).

I tune them pretty loose - plus I have a large pillow inside. That kind of setup only really sound good if you're in a situation where the bass drum has a mic in it.

Hi ProgJazzy(QC)

Here's my question: At the beginning of the song Salvaging (Insurgentes), your playing quarter notes on your hi-hat and your filling in with toms, were you using open handed technique to have such liberty around the kit?

Yes I'm playing open-handed at that point. It was the only way I could think of playing it.

How do you feel about Quebec City (Canada) I know you guys (Porcupine Tree) came here a lot, is the crowd any different?! Is the city charming?! Any special memory?! Hahah :)

We love Quebec City - it's a beautiful place and we had a great show there (in 2005?) playing at an open air festival somewhere in the city.

Hi richkenyon

A quick question too... Do you use any kind of click-pad on your bass drum? I use an Evans one (not a metal one, just a mylar type) but I'd like to find a beater that doesn't get worn SO quickly, but not a wooden one!

Try the Sonor plastic one. It looks like a little hammer.

Hi K_HiHats

1) On the original recording of 'Blackest Eyes,' is it that you recorded the chorus completely on the ride (without the bell), unlike how you play it live today with the bell? Was it intended to be on the bell like when you play it live, or did you just discover that it sounds better with the bell on the quarter note?

I prefer playing it on the bell live because it just cuts through better.

2) On the original version of 'The Creator Has A Mastertape,' is it that during the chorus that you are playing quarters on the bell of the ride or eighths on both the bell and regular part of the ride? Thanks for answering.

I thinks it's 8ths with the quarter note accented on the bell.

Hi mixamuss

Just wanted to say thanks for a fantastic clinic up in sunny Washington with the Drum Shop Gateshead guys. Inspirational technique and groove delivered with flair as always. It's also very refreshing that a guy such as yourself at the top of his game remains so grounded and approachable...a real bonus for us fans. Once the clinic tour is over when will you next perform in the UK?

Thanks. I don't think I'll be performing in the UK again until next year with PT.

Hi Matt_C

One thing I was going to ask you, but then we were running out of time, was about Mother And Child Divided, which seems to be more or less completely about drums. I was going to ask whether it was something you had wanted to do; a track focusing on drums, or was it a couple of riffs/parts that Steven had come up with, and then maybe said to you "here, take these parts and just go nuts with them, shape the song around your drums" ?

I didn't think the track was all about the drums. I came up with that 2 bar 4/4 rhythm and I got Steve to write the riffs around the drum pattern. Start Of Something Beautiful - Cheating The Polygraph - Futile and a few others were composed in pretty much the same way.

Hi BuddhaTrixie

Being 14, I was wondering when you started playing and your old methods of practice (frequency, specifications on practice and whatnot, anything that could benefit me in following in the footsteps of a master like yourself)

At your age I just practised everything I could think of. It helps a lot to have a good teacher to guide you.

cheers
Gavin
Old 06-23-2011, 06:54 PM

Hi Gavin!

At first, how was your "nightmare-tour"? :) I've noticed (on the YT-videos) that you were using a different snare, a 13x6,5 (maybe 7?). Why the change? You were using a 14x5 for a long time, and this change seems... interesting. Were you missing the fat bottom sound of a deeper snare? The cut-through sound of a 13"? What was the sound you were looking for that you've found in this one? Can you share some details about it? (maple?, thickness, bearing edges, does it have reinforcing rings, etc.)

Second, I was very-very sad about the timing of this clinic-tour! I just had my very last exam (state-exam?) on my second university in Hungary last week, and I was planning to give myself a Gavin Harrison clinic as a graduation present (combined with visiting friends in London), but the timing pretty much killed the idea! :( Without your clinic I simply don't have that urge to go. (But I'm not gonna tell my friends that, and I think I can count on your discretion too! ;) ) Still, I'm sad as hell! :)

Have fun in the summer, rest up for the next projects! ;)
Matthew
Old 06-26-2011, 12:36 AM
Platinum Member

Hey Gavin. I have some less musical related questions for you(except the last one). How do you prepare for big concerts? Are you nervous before playing big gigs or on TV/DVD's? If not, how do/did you overcome it? Have you ever played concerts where you feel you're not in control?
Also, how do you know you're playing something "right" for the track you are going to record/play. Are there any rules or general guidelines you follow, or just "feeling" the track?
Old 06-26-2011, 07:12 AM

Hey Gavin,

I've been looking around lately, but I can't seem to find anywhere the special edition of Deadwing (the one with the re-recording of Shesmovedon). I have the original album, but I'd love to have the version with the 3 extra tracks. Any tips on where to find it?
Old 06-26-2011, 07:31 AM

Hey Gavin! Thanks for the response. Now I know how to play 'The Creator Has A Mastertape' correctly!

So, I am going to try and start doing covers of the Porcupine Tree stuff that you have played (everything from In Absentia up to now). Unfortunately, youtube is a bit of a problem for me at the moment. Apparently, there seems to be some type of copyright in place where it says this:

"Your video, Porcupine Tree - Blackest Eyes Drum Cover , may include content that is owned or administered by these entities: Entity: WMG Content Type: Sound Recording"

How does everyone else on youtube have videos and I run into this problem? Any solutions anyone? Or do I just plain delete it, which is not what I want because I would like to be seen by the world. The link to my youtube page is below.

http://www.youtube.com/user/13KHiHats?feature=mhee

Cheers --Peter
Old 06-26-2011, 02:29 PM

Hi Peter,

I've heard of a few people who have encountered this problem, and unfortunately there is no solution at this point that I'm aware of. Some of the record companies are really over the top and won't allow you to include a recording of their intellectual property in a video, even if you are playing over the top of it (or even if it's *only* your playing, occasionally).

Some record companies are more vigilant than others, hence you see a lot of covers like that floating around. In my experience Porcupine Tree music is one of the worst affected by this, which I find strange, I didn't think they were that popular in the overall scheme of things.

It's the bane of the youtube cover :( It's basically free advertising for the music too, I don't understand it.
Old 06-26-2011, 03:03 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi szokematyi

I've noticed that you were using a different snare, a 13x6,5 (maybe 7?). Why the change? You were using a 14x5 for a long time, and this change seems... interesting.

It's a 13x7 - I just like the sound of that drum. It's very nice to play.

Hi Thaard

How do you prepare for big concerts? Are you nervous before playing big gigs or on TV/DVD's? If not, how do/did you overcome it? Have you ever played concerts where you feel you're not in control?

I guess it gets easier over time. It's just a state of mind that you have to rationalise.

Also, how do you know you're playing something "right" for the track you are going to record/play. Are there any rules or general guidelines you follow, or just "feeling" the track?

It's a question of taste. What I might think is good for a certain song - perhaps another drummer would have a different idea. Your personality plays a big part in this process - you follow what you feel.

Hi Branndon Center

I've been looking around lately, but I can't seem to find anywhere the special edition of Deadwing (the one with the re-recording of Shesmovedon). I have the original album, but I'd love to have the version with the 3 extra tracks. Any tips on where to find it?

do they not have it at burningshed.com ?

Hi K_HiHats

So, I am going to try and start doing covers of the Porcupine Tree stuff that you have played (everything from In Absentia up to now). Unfortunately, youtube is a bit of a problem for me at the moment. Apparently, there seems to be some type of copyright in place where it says this:

when you say "covers" you intend to just play your drums over our CD?

The fact is that Warner Bros own that recording - so you can't put it on YouTube.

cheers
Gavin