DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 03-17-2010, 08:45 PM

Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

Hi Gavin,
I have been practicing to some of your transcriptions that have been posted and love the subtleties of your open and closed hi-hat in places. Did you have a point when you studied hi-hat techniques or did you have a method for the hi-hat that you used maybe from the Stone book or similiar?

You've heard it before but, I love your playing. Not just because of the technique but also because of the musicality and tastefulness.
Thanks,
Stuart
Old 03-17-2010, 10:46 PM

Hi Gavin,
I just ordered a ticket for your masterclass at the Sonor-Days on May 29th.
Im not really an advanced drummer,but I just had to take the chance to be part of this event,I hope this is no problem.
My second question is,I have a beautiful 14x8 Designer (Tribal-finish) and I would love to get a little signature from you on it.Do you think is is somehow possible?

Thank you very much,
Chris

Last edited by CareyCopelandCameron; 03-18-2010 at 07:49 AM.
Old 03-17-2010, 11:46 PM

hi gavin.
do you remember the song "mille giorni di te e di me"?it's a claudio baglioni song..
in past you started the song with a fill, and i can't understand how you make it.
can you please post a little transcription?or maybe Terry B. can help me? :)
cheers
Old 03-18-2010, 10:11 AM

Hi everybody! I'm new to the forum :-))

To Carey Copeland:

Beautiful snare drum! Unfortunately Sonor told me that the tribal finish was discontinued!! The set for Gavin was one of the last with this finish!! :-((

To Gavin:

When will you come back to Italy for a drum clinic??? We are all waiting for you!! :-))

best! M.
Old 03-18-2010, 11:11 AM
Platinum Member

nice to meet you dr_flam! enjoy your stay :)
Old 03-18-2010, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CareyCopelandCameron View Post
Thanks for the hint CareyCopelandCameron. I am also not a pro drummer but I love the topic ("Rhythmic Illusions") and of course I would really like to meet Gavin in person.

Gavin... looking forward to seeing you end of May. I have to admit that I am a little bit nervous as well. Not sure what level you expect from the guys sitting arround there and whether I can meet your expectations ;-).
Old 03-18-2010, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalianRicky View Post
hi gavin.
do you remember the song "mille giorni di te e di me"?it's a claudio baglioni song..
in past you started the song with a fill, and i can't understand how you make it.
cheers
Don´t want to be the party pooper here but you really shouldn´t be posting the mp3 of an original song... there´s always a lawyer who wants to sue an innocent board owner for distributing copyright content. Anyway...

If you ask me... I heard something like that:

Code:
Spl ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- | X
HH  ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- --°- | x
SN: ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- Rlrr L--- | -
BD: ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- X--- ---- ---- | X
Every "-" represents a 1/32 note. Upper case characters are accents. Of course I only noted down the intro fill and the very begin of the first bar. The introducing BD could very well be one of the floor toms.
Old 03-18-2010, 06:11 PM

Hi
Mr. Harrison

Please find the attached files for sample sound of my snare drum with three Audix i5. I send them in 24b/96KHz WAV file separatly. Please combine them (I think I forgot reverse the phase of under mic).
Would you please tell me your opinion regarding the sound, quality, tune, microphones places and other things ....

Recording by: Presonus FireStudio 26x26
Drum Stick: Regal Tip 5AN
Snare Drum: Yamaha YD 14"x5.5" 9ply
Drum Head - Top: Yamaha Coated - Resonance: Yamaha Clear

Best Regards,
Ramtin HajatDoost
Tehran - Iran
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: zip SNARE 1_110.zip (8.89 MB, 300 views)
File Type: zip SNARE 2_109.zip (8.72 MB, 289 views)
File Type: zip SNARE 3_112.zip (8.60 MB, 286 views)
Old 03-18-2010, 07:14 PM
Official DW Chief Transcriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalianRicky View Post
hi gavin.
cheers
Hi Italian Ricky,

Here's my take on the fill. I chose to use 8th/16th notes to make it easier to read.

Hope it helps!

Terry

**Sorry about the huge size!!**

Old 03-18-2010, 07:54 PM

@Dr.Flam,
thank you.In my ears and of course,if youd ask my hands...its the best sounding and looking snaredrum Ive ever played.They dont use this finish anymore?Arghh....I wanted a SQ2 with the Tribal-finish in the future....:(

@ChrisGau,
Ich werde am Samstag da sein,vielleicht sieht man sich ja;)
Gruss,
Chris
Old 03-19-2010, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry B. View Post
Hi Italian Ricky,

Here's my take on the fill. I chose to use 8th/16th notes to make it easier to read.

Hope it helps!

Terry

**Sorry about the huge size!!**

thanks a lot terry!
cheers!
Old 03-19-2010, 11:23 PM

Gavin, a huge thanks for the clinic and taking the time to chat and sign my snare :) It was a really great night and I hope to see you again in the future, Phil :)
Old 03-19-2010, 11:39 PM

Hey Gavin,

just got your new DVD, I was curious about the grey thing your drumset set up on. What is it good for?

All the best,
B

Just read about the Masterclass.. I ordered a ticket for Friday, see you there! (:

Last edited by Trains'; 03-19-2010 at 11:54 PM.
Old 03-20-2010, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trains' View Post
Hey Gavin,

I was curious about the grey thing your drumset set up on. What is it good for?
(:
http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...postcount=4215
Old 03-21-2010, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Good View Post
Thanks.. I prbly missed that ;)
One question left .. whats it good for / would happen if it wherend there ? ;-)

Last edited by Trains'; 03-21-2010 at 12:35 AM.
Old 03-21-2010, 02:00 AM

Gavin,

Quick question that I cannot find the answer to on any other website. What is the difference between counting out 5/4 and 5/8? It just seems to me that 5/8 would feel "faster" than 5/4 because of the 8th notes. For example, if you played a 5/4 groove @ 120bpm and then played a 5/8 groove at the same tempo, would there be any difference as far as "the feel" of the song being a little faster? It's probably just my ignorance of music theory.

Sorry if I didn't word this in an easily understandable fashion, but I did the best I could as to explaining my confusion between the two time sig's.

Thanks for you time Gavin
Cheers
Eric
Old 03-21-2010, 02:28 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by euphoric_anomaly View Post
and then played a 5/8 groove at the same tempo, would there be any difference as far as "the feel" of the song being a little faster?
The feel wouldn't necessarily be a little faster. The Sound of Muzak, for example, two 7/8 grooves, or one 7/4 groove, there's no difference, the time signature is a matter of how *you* perceive it. You can play eigth and quarter notes to both 7/8 (displaced in the second measure) and 7/4.

Fox.
Old 03-21-2010, 02:32 AM

Gavin:

"Flicker" is my favorite song on The Incident, and I notice the whole band got a songwriting credit for it (along with a couple of others). What can you tell us about how this song came about? Was it a jam in the studio, or what?

Thanks! Can't wait to see you guys in Atlanta next month.

- Tracey
Old 03-21-2010, 07:50 AM

Hey Gavin,

How does Porcupine Tree come up with the set lists for shows? Are they always the same, or do you mix them up for each show?
Old 03-21-2010, 02:32 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi steste50

U pay a lot of attention to the sound, so talking about the bass drum have u heard of/tried this Kickport? If so what do U think about it?

I bought one from the States when they first came out early last year. I didn't have much luck with it. I don't think it works if you've got a big pillow inside the drum.

Hi NeuroAxis

But I was just curious about the use of the terminology 'linear.' What makes it a linear fill? Is it just because it's based on the repeating sticking pattern?

Linear means that no two things are played at the same time. So it's a sequential row of notes.

Hi drumstu

I have been practicing to some of your transcriptions that have been posted and love the subtleties of your open and closed hi-hat in places. Did you have a point when you studied hi-hat techniques or did you have a method for the hi-hat that you used maybe from the Stone book or similiar?

No I didn't study anything specifically for the hi hat. I like to follow what I think are musical patterns that would suit the tune and drive the rhythm in certain ways.

Hi CareyCopelandCameron

Im not really an advanced drummer,but I just had to take the chance to be part of this event,I hope this is no problem.
My second question is,I have a beautiful 14x8 Designer (Tribal-finish) and I would love to get a little signature from you on it.Do you think is is somehow possible?

If you bring the drum with you - I'll sign it. It looks like a real beast!!!!

Hi dr_flam

Beautiful snare drum! Unfortunately Sonor told me that the tribal finish was discontinued!! The set for Gavin was one of the last with this finish!! :-((

Yes I got really lucky there!

When will you come back to Italy for a drum clinic??? We are all waiting for you!! :-))
I am thinking about it and looking for a gap in my busy schedule to commit to a clinic tour.

Hi Ramtin HajatDoust

Please find the attached files for sample sound of my snare drum with three Audix i5. I send them in 24b/96KHz WAV file separatly. Please combine them (I think I forgot reverse the phase of under mic).

I'll have to wait to check them when I'm back in my studio.

Hi Trains'

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...postcount=4215
Thanks.. I prbly missed that ;)
One question left .. whats it good for / would happen if it wherend there ?

the same reason anyone would set their drums up on a mat or carpet - so everything is in the right place and nothing moves whilst I'm playing it.

Hi euphoric_anomaly

Quick question that I cannot find the answer to on any other website. What is the difference between counting out 5/4 and 5/8? It just seems to me that 5/8 would feel "faster" than 5/4 because of the 8th notes. For example, if you played a 5/4 groove @ 120bpm and then played a 5/8 groove at the same tempo, would there be any difference as far as "the feel" of the song being a little faster? It's probably just my ignorance of music theory.

If you played the same pattern in 5/4 and then 5/8 at the same tempo it wouldn't be "a little faster" it would be twice as fast in 5/8. Of course time signatures are just there to help you understand and perceive what is going on. The audience doesn't hear the bar lines - you could have a pattern that is five beats long but you could have it placed inside any time signature. You can of course count a piece at any rate that you feel comfortable at.

Hi tmccartney

"Flicker" is my favorite song on The Incident, What can you tell us about how this song came about? Was it a jam in the studio, or what?

yes it started as a jam.

Hi pixelbreaker

How does Porcupine Tree come up with the set lists for shows? Are they always the same, or do you mix them up for each show?

we normally have a pool of songs that we agree on before a tour - so we can rehearse those and get them up to 'performance' level. Then we work on the pace of the show and then sequence of most of the tunes. Find a good opener and a good closer to the set and then try to make some sense in the way the tunes follow each other. We do swap some songs around during the tour but a lot of the set list stays the same.

cheers
Gavin
Old 03-21-2010, 04:05 PM

Gavin,I love you! :-)

See you then on May 30th with my snare!(Had to take a ticket for Sunday,because a friend of mine joins on this day)

Thanks so much!
Chris
Old 03-21-2010, 09:26 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

For anyone interested in the masterclasses that I will be giving at the Sonor Days 2010 event. It's on the 29th and 30th of May at the Sonor Factory in Bad Berleburg - Aue Germany. Here's the link:

http://www.sonor.com/sonordays2010/en/tickets.html

should be a great event!! There's live performances as well as the masterclasses.

cheers
Gavin
Old 03-22-2010, 01:33 PM

Hello Gavin, I noticed three cameras at the poole clinic; are you planning to release this footage?
Old 03-23-2010, 02:33 PM

Hi Gavin

Will your work allow you to see the Zildjian European Tour of Steve Gadd?.
We´ve been lucky, and he´ll land at my city, Sevilla, and will see him. There is a good friend of mine, who are percussion instruments dealer here(Sonor, Zildjian, Axis, Remo...), and works hard in order to get great musicians for clinics, basically he organize every year a drummer´s day called 'DrumFest'. We´re waiting to see you playing sometime, you would be warmly welcome. Sevilla is a lovely city with: good weather, good food, beautiful women...And nasty traffic!! :-))

Greetings
Gus

Last edited by Gus; 03-23-2010 at 06:16 PM.
Old 03-23-2010, 03:16 PM

Hi Gus. you are so lucky Steve Gadd will go to your city. I´m Portuguese and i´m planning to go that clinic, but it is a bit far from where I Live.

Hi Gavin.
I want to thank you about all Information you have posted here. I missed your shows here in Portugal last year... Now I have to wait for another chance to see you playing.

I received 10 Min Ago your new DVD Rhythmic Designs, and will Study It For The next Months... Hope It Will Bring me some Ideas And Inspiration...
If I have any question I will Ask.

Carlos Ramos
Old 03-23-2010, 06:37 PM

Hi Carlos Ramos

If you finally decide to go, here´s the link where you can get the tickets:

http://www.tamtampercusion.com/

They´re good guys.

Gustavo
Old 03-23-2010, 09:51 PM

Hi again,

Talking about Lewis Taylor: i personally link him to another "modern pioneer" of that kinda music i.e. Jamiroquai. Do you like what Jami does and how would U see Yerself drumming for him?

Thank You again and again,
Ste
Old 03-25-2010, 08:13 AM

Hey Gavin,

At 5:13 of "What Happens Now?", I can never figure out the time there. Could you elaborate on the time signature or just what you're playing there?
Old 03-25-2010, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelbreaker View Post
Hey Gavin,

At 5:13 of "What Happens Now?", I can never figure out the time there. Could you elaborate on the time signature or just what you're playing there?

Hi pixelbreaker,

It's in 7/8. The ride cymbal is played every 3rd 16ths.
Attached Images

Old 03-25-2010, 12:39 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Phil Brodermann

Hello Gavin, I noticed three cameras at the poole clinic; are you planning to release this footage?

No plans to release it - but if comes out really good I'm might put some of it on the web.

Hi Gus

Will your work allow you to see the Zildjian European Tour of Steve Gadd?.

Unfortunately I'll be touring the States when he's playing in the UK.

Hi steste50

Talking about Lewis Taylor: i personally link him to another "modern pioneer" of that kinda music i.e. Jamiroquai. Do you like what Jami does and how would U see Yerself drumming for him?

I really like Jamiroquai - I can't see myself getting the job - Derek McKenzie plays so great with the band.

Hi pixelbreaker

Thanks to Alex for the transcription. The really hard part is marking the downbeats of every fourth bar with a crash cymbal - because as you can see - the pattern resolves every three bars.

cheers
Gavin
Old 03-25-2010, 12:57 PM

Hi Gavin.

First off, it was great to talk to you over the phone a few months back. I interviewed you before your Newcastle PT show in December.

I've been enjoying working with your new DVD/book/play along tracks.

Have you had any thoughts about taking the 05ric stuff out live, with a small 4-5 piece band maybe?

I'm sure there's decent audience potential out there for you.

Cheers...
Old 03-25-2010, 01:47 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex P. View Post
Hi pixelbreaker,

It's in 7/8. The ride cymbal is played every 3rd 16ths.
Yeah, that's a nice groove! I like the dotted eight note hihat over the 7/8 BD/Snare pattern!
Old 03-25-2010, 03:23 PM

Hi Gavin.
First of all, thank you very very much for your time, replying to all the questions in this thread. That's not to be taken for granted.

I have a question regarding the PT gig at the Royal Albert Hall in October.
Are you allowed to reveal some details about this special show? Will you play the incident in in it's entirety again? Please note that I don't want you to spoil all the surprises or secrets/mysteries about this gig. And of course I understand if you're not willing to/are not allowed to say anything about it.

I've never been in the Royal Albert Hall, however, I assume that it is a very beautiful venue and kind of a "prestige location". I'd like to ask if playing there is kind of "special" to you? Any special feelings about it?

Thanks in advance for your time and props to you for "Rhythmic Designs". Awesome book and DVD!

Cheers, Kevin
Old 03-25-2010, 05:52 PM
Gold Member

Gavin,

A quick question regarding your touring, I'm curious as to whether or not you have a 'rider' or not contractually and, if so, some of the specifics (a case of Evian water, ham sandwiches, etc...). Obviously this is personal and if you choose not to answer, it's understandable.

just curious.

Cheers!

Best,
Florian
Old 03-25-2010, 06:15 PM

Hi Gavin.
I want to ask you something about accuracy and WOA you talked before.
I know that that is Impossible that any drummer can be 100% on spot with click all times (i dream with that).
but how do you consider as a good WOA?
i record myself and when i go and analyze, normally i tend to be like 1/64 note antecipated to click. sometimes in worst parts maybe 1/32 note. can you talk more about accuracy and how to develop this. and about a good acepptabe WOA. i think half 1/64 was good. but it is hard.
What do you think and aproach about it?

Thank you
Old 03-26-2010, 06:12 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi supermac

Have you had any thoughts about taking the 05ric stuff out live, with a small 4-5 piece band maybe?

I'm always thinking about it - there's just a lot of logistics to consider first.

Hi kevlionel

I have a question regarding the PT gig at the Royal Albert Hall in October.
Are you allowed to reveal some details about this special show?

No because it will only trigger the most incredible amount of moaning and complaining from some fans who always post on certain forums. No matter what we do - it won't please everyone.

I've never been in the Royal Albert Hall, however, I assume that it is a very beautiful venue and kind of a "prestige location". I'd like to ask if playing there is kind of "special" to you? Any special feelings about it?

It's a really nice venue - I've played there before with Level 42.

Hi Florian

A quick question regarding your touring, I'm curious as to whether or not you have a 'rider' or not contractually.

Yes we do - but I can't reveal the specifics of it.

Hi carlos ramos

I want to ask you something about accuracy and WOA you talked before.
I know that that is Impossible that any drummer can be 100% on spot with click all times
but how do you consider as a good WOA?

That's a kind of personal preference. What I might find unacceptable - someone else think is fine. I'd hope to get within about 10 milliseconds - I think tthat would satisfy my Window Of Acceptability. The real important part is that you're consistent. If your snare is about 15ms behind the beat pretty much all the time - that will be your groove. If it's not consistently in the same zone - it won't sound good. Same with the bass drum and hi hat of course.

i record myself and when i go and analyze, normally i tend to be like 1/64 note antecipated to click. sometimes in worst parts maybe 1/32 note. can you talk more about accuracy and how to develop this. and about a good acepptabe WOA. i think half 1/64 was good.

In my experience most people play in front of the beat somewhere between a few milliseconds and a couple of weeks!! When you hear a drummer playing right on the beat - they sound laid back relative to the other musicians who might be playing in front. You can't really measure in 1/64ths because it would be a different amount of milliseconds depending on the tempo.

cheers
Gavin
Old 03-26-2010, 07:49 PM

Thank you gavin. I will record all my sessions, and see my progress.

One more question.
do you have some good exercices to have that laid back feeling? I think my groove can become better, as close as I play to the click. i tried a few exercices. i turn the click on, then grab a stick and then, try to really catch the clik and stop hearing it. i don´t know if this helps me. but i really have to concentrate and relax, and it is not an easy one.
I´m hoping i can change my groove by practicing this or another exercices....
Old 03-26-2010, 11:49 PM

Gavin,

I know you are in to some older music and some old r&b etc. Have you heard of Diane Birch ? Her debut is called Bible Belt and I have to say it is some of the best blue eyed soul I have ever heard. The album really sounds like it was recorded 35 years ago in places and I think this is a good thing. She has an amazing voice and writes all her own music. Cindy Blackman on drums for some tracks and some great session guys on some others. If you havnt heard her you might want to check it out.

See ya may 1st in Ohio !!
Old 03-29-2010, 12:37 AM

Hi Gavin,

have U ever tried snare drums with those big thick maple rims and, if so, what do U think of the resulting sound?

Thx a lot,
Ste
Old 03-29-2010, 09:52 PM

Hi Gavin,

A small question about displacement. I was listening to the Brighton Dome 1994 concert with Level 42. On the track Mr Pink, there are some parts where it seems you displace the snare, though it seems you are following the keyboard/horn accents. It might sound silly but do you think that the principles of displacement (and for that matter also overriding and substitution) also work for other instruments (like keyboards)?

Btw, received my copy of the Incident DVD-A. Sounds wonderful and the video of Octane Twisted is a nice bonus! (Loved that one during the show). Hope to see you guys playing in Holland this year. The RAH show is sadly sold out, as are your sonor drumclinics :(