DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 02-17-2010, 10:16 PM

Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

Well, "Blood" was the recording of the year for me, thanks to you, "The Incident" a close second. Perhaps a look at the inspiration and execution for some song parts on both? The complexity of those songs may not come close to your work with O5Ric, but then perhaps King Crimson material could balance things out. Of course I could just be dreaming out loud, heheh. -mp
Old 02-17-2010, 10:18 PM
Official DW Chief Transcriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Harrison View Post

Hi osi.3

I'd just like to thank you for your work Rhythmic Designs, and also ask if there are plans for doing a similar thing for other material you've done, or plan on doing?

No plans at the moment. Do you have any requests?
Hey, you know I'm in!!

Don't give me any bright ideas.....Ha!

Terry
Old 02-17-2010, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Hi sandstrom

I love your drumsound and wonder what microphone-cabels you use in your studio and also the lenght of them?

OK you've discovered the real secret of my sound. It's all in the cables and the length!!! Very funny.
Gavin, man, I am serious!! I study musicproduction at a University here in Sweden and we had a cable test a while ago. We were all chocked about the difference in sound between different cables. We all agreed that they affected the sound much more then for example changing pre-amps. So can you please tell me what you use?

Thanks!
/Richard
Old 02-17-2010, 10:43 PM

Hey Gavin,

You're known as a pretty creative drummer. But when i'm playing the drums, and really getting into it, in a sort of flow like moment, I tend to play the same beats and fills automatically. Ever had that problem, or do you have tips to get rid of that.

Another question, somewhat related to the first one. How do you 'build' you beats? Is it pure improvisation or do you really work the beat or pattern that you are going to use out on paper or in your head? Same with fills/licks..

thanks
Old 02-17-2010, 11:08 PM
Silver Member

Hey Gavin,

Thanks for your response...
Quote:
I don't quite understand what you mean by "rare people who get more power"? All you need to do is angle the beater right back - tighten up the spring and play it half way down the board - you'll get plenty of power like that.
I have not had the chance to try any Axis pedal unfortunately, but the fact is that most people who've shared their experience with me either felt a loss of power, or noticed no change in that department. For whatever reason, you are one of the very few that I've heard talk about an increase in power and volume when using Axis pedals.
I do believe it's possible to get plenty of power from them, but still many seem to have a problem with it. In fact, the "21 degrees forward" design of the new Axis pedals is in part a response to complaints of them being too light. In any case, I'm looking forward to hearing your impressions once you've had a chance to try them out.

Thanks for your time!
Old 02-17-2010, 11:43 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandstrom View Post
Gavin, man, I am serious!! I study musicproduction at a University here in Sweden and we had a cable test a while ago. We were all chocked about the difference in sound between different cables. We all agreed that they affected the sound much more then for example changing pre-amps. So can you please tell me what you use?

Thanks!
/Richard
Maybe he was serious too ;)?

Oh and Gavin, on the IEMs, don't they ever slip? Because after two or three songs, mine usually start slipping off inside my headphones (because that's when I start to sweat), and I have to play a few bars with one hand to put it back in, at least once in EVERY song after the first ones.

Regards, Fox.
Old 02-18-2010, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox622003 View Post
Maybe he was serious too ;)?

Oh and Gavin, on the IEMs, don't they ever slip? Because after two or three songs, mine usually start slipping off inside my headphones (because that's when I start to sweat), and I have to play a few bars with one hand to put it back in, at least once in EVERY song after the first ones.

Regards, Fox.
I use M-Audio IE-10s and I used to have the same problem. But most IEMs allow you to reverse them (as in left earpiece in right ear and right earpiece in left ear) and wear them upside down. This allows the cable to go over you ear and have some give so they are not constantly being tugged out of your ears while you are playing.
Old 02-18-2010, 08:27 AM

Gavin,

Aside from rudiments, coordination and mental exercises, what sorts of weight training/cardio vascular exercises do you do?

Also, if i could make a suggestion for your next DVD. I think it would be beneficial to have a cd with your songs, minus the drum track (maybe substitute the drums for a upbeat and downbeat accented metronome and have the same track available without the click?) which we can upload to our ipods and jam along to. Like you mentioned before it's not important that we play as you do verbatim, but understand the concepts and use your instruction as a tool for developing and building our own styles. Other than that, I own all of your instructional material and I've certainly started putting things in different places than I am used to. Thank you.

Brian A. Musson

Last edited by BrianMusson; 02-18-2010 at 08:39 AM. Reason: I wanted to compound my ideas.
Old 02-18-2010, 04:33 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Florian

I know you wear an IEM, which brand do you prefer and for what reasons? I ask because our band is looking for common IEMs and Id like to hear from a touring professional the reasons they chose theirs.

I have been using Ultimate Ears UE10s - but I've not been so happy with them lately - so I've just ordered a pair of Sensaphonics 3D Ambient.

Hi osi.3

Well, "Blood" was the recording of the year for me, thanks to you, "The Incident" a close second.

both are possible - and Terry Branam is the perfect man for the job. The problem is that I can't make 'play-alongs' of those albums as I don't own the recordings.

Hi sandstrom,

OK well there's a number of different cables. Some say "J Rapco RSMCA balanced line mic cable" others just say "Noiseless Cable". I have about 16 cables from the mics to the desk. On average they are about 3 metres long. Could you upload us a couple of audio samples of a drum being struck through two different mic cables and then we can all hear the difference? What were your ideal cables and length?

Hi Fox622003

on the IEMs, don't they ever slip? Because after two or three songs, mine usually start slipping off inside my headphones (because that's when I start to sweat), and I have to play a few bars with one hand to put it back in, at least once in EVERY song after the first ones.

They don't really slip as they are custom moulds of my ears so they fit perfectly. To have these made you need to go to an audiologist first and have them pour silicone rubber right deep into your ears to make impressions so that the IEM company can then form the headphones around.
I think perhaps what you and NeuroAxis are referring to are the generic IEMs that you can just buy off the shelf and jam them into your ears- right?

Hi BrianMusson

Aside from rudiments, coordination and mental exercises, what sorts of weight training/cardio vascular exercises do you do?

I haven't ever really done anything like that until a year ago when I bought a bicycle.

Also, if i could make a suggestion for your next DVD. I think it would be beneficial to have a cd with your songs, minus the drum track (maybe substitute the drums for a upbeat and downbeat accented metronome and have the same track available without the click?) which we can upload to our ipods and jam along to.

have you got the new DVD/Book "Rhythmic Designs"? There are play-along mp3s included in the package.

cheers
Gavin
Old 02-18-2010, 08:34 PM

How do Gavin.

I'm trying to incorporate more intricate bass/double bass into my fills. I was just wonder how you approached this when you first started. Any exercises/tip you could share?

Thanks in advance

Ste.
Old 02-18-2010, 11:52 PM
Gold Member

Hey Gavin,

Sorry to bother again, but in your reply regarding your IEMs, Im curious as to what wireless transmitter you use with the Sensaphonics. Do all of the players use the same transmitter?

Thanks for your help and guidance.

Best,
Florian
Old 02-19-2010, 02:11 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
I think perhaps what you and NeuroAxis are referring to are the generic IEMs that you can just buy off the shelf and jam them into your ears- right?
Yep, it seems that it would take some effort to make custom ones, and they are a lot more expensive, but for what you say, they are probably worth it and would solve my issue.
Thanks for the reply!

Fox.
Old 02-19-2010, 01:32 PM

Hi Gavin,

Quote:
The problem is that I can't make 'play-alongs' of those albums as I don't own the recordings.
do you know David Garribaldi's Code of Funk package? It follows pretty much the same concept you used for Rhythmic Designs, only he issued the DVD in a separate later step. He put the 2003 Tower of Power album "Oakland Zone" as full-band-minus-drum playalongs on the CD which I found astounding and enjoyed very much - nearly as much fun as your Rhythmic Designs package. He even cut out the most important grooves into loops with separated drum tracks

I admit that I also always wondered whether it would be possible to release some of the PT songs as playalongs together with transacriptions (and maybe a few words on the musical background). From what you say I sense that you might be the only band member willing to offer something like that. I could understand that you would not want to publicly discuss the concerns Steve, Richard and Edwin might have. I reckon Steve is worried about gazillions of YouTube videos with drumkids bashing the hell out of their set to a PT song that once was so carefully put together. However, I would like to ask you to let them know, that there are many drumming PT afficionados dreaming of a chance to virtually sit in the PT drum chair and challenge themselves.

At this moment, I only know of one PT playalong ("Sound of Muzak") put together by the German drum magazine "Drumheads" (music minus drums excl. vocals plus transcription). Guess what´s number one of my playalong favourites list on my Laptop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Harrison
No plans at the moment. Do you have any requests?
Well, what about Futile? If I remember correctly, this song started as an idea for a clinic anyway, am I correct?

Thanks again for investing so much time in this forum and sharing ideas and thoughts with us. And - before I forget it - your Rhythmic Design package is a great inspiration. It really helps me understanding how to turn intricate drumming into music and how to develope ideas into complex arrangements. Very well done...
Old 02-19-2010, 05:19 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi MaidenFanSte

I'm trying to incorporate more intricate bass/double bass into my fills. I was just wonder how you approached this when you first started. Any exercises/tip you could share?

I've pretty much always thought of double bass drumming as a way to fill in some gaps in fills and grooves. I don't really do the 16ths ostinato thing. Have a look at this video for some explanations to my approach.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOJOACCcEgE

Hi ChrisGau,

I reckon Steve is worried about gazillions of YouTube videos with drumkids bashing the hell out of their set to a PT song that once was so carefully put together.

We're all concerned about that - but it's already happening - they just play over the album version so you can also hear my drumming underneath too.

Well, what about Futile? If I remember correctly, this song started as an idea for a clinic anyway, am I correct?

Yes you're correct. I guess the only fair way to do it is to re-record the backing tracks with a session band much like the Drumheads version of Sound Of Muzak.

cheers
Gavin
Old 02-19-2010, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Hi MaidenFanSte

I've pretty much always thought of double bass drumming as a way to fill in some gaps in fills and grooves. I don't really do the 16ths ostinato thing. Have a look at this video for some explanations to my approach.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOJOACCcEgE
Exactly what I was after.
Think I'll try learn that first part.

Thanks.
Old 02-20-2010, 02:33 AM

Hi Gavin! At first, congratulations for "The Incident", for me, the best PT album. I've got 2 questions, if you can answer me.

1- At "Way out of Here" from Fear of a Blank Planet, the voice that sings the chorus (Way out, way out of here, fade out, fade out vanish) is Steven Wilson voice? Because i've seen that in live shows is John Wesley who sings this part, and I've the doubt.

2- Will be Porcupine Tree at Spain this year? I couldn't see you in november!

Thank you very much, and sorry for my english!
Old 02-20-2010, 06:34 PM

Hi Gavin,

1. I can see from pix in the Rhythmic Designs book that you hold your famous hand made bells using a Sonor BA12-L arm and a series of BA12-BR ratchets coupled with BA-CH cymbals holders (correct me if I'm wrong of course!). How did you get the BA-CH holders both long and short for the different heights at which the bells are mounted?

2. Your mics seem to be mounted on the rack along with toms and cymbals. Don't you get sympathetic noise from the mics when you hit the drums?

3. Your hihat pedal looks like there's something that can keep the cymbals closed without the foot, am i right? What's that?

4. As far as i understood you use Logic for most of your work. I guess you got many tracks with your drumset: no latency or overload problems when recording? (p/s: i use Pro Tools HD1 to record myself and i have no experience with Logic).

5. I'm really enjoying Drop and Circles: all of my friends ask me "wow, who's playing?"... very nice indeed.

Thanks a lot again,
Ste
Old 02-20-2010, 08:40 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi facu

1- At "Way out of Here" from Fear of a Blank Planet, the voice that sings the chorus (Way out, way out of here, fade out, fade out vanish) is Steven Wilson voice? Because i've seen that in live shows is John Wesley who sings this part, and I've the doubt.

Steve sings it on the record - but John sings it in the live concert.

We have no plans to at this moment.

Hi steste50

1. I can see from pix in the Rhythmic Designs book that you hold your famous hand made bells using a Sonor BA12-L arm and a series of BA12-BR ratchets coupled with BA-CH cymbals holders (correct me if I'm wrong of course!). How did you get the BA-CH holders both long and short for the different heights at which the bells are mounted?

Yes I got some of the BA-CH cymbal holders threaded all the way down to the bottom of the shaft. Normally they stop about 3cms before they reach the bottom. So the lower three have been altered and the higher two are just normal. Make sense?

2. Your mics seem to be mounted on the rack along with toms and cymbals. Don't you get sympathetic noise from the mics when you hit the drums?

Not that I'm aware of.

3. Your hihat pedal looks like there's something that can keep the cymbals closed without the foot, am i right? What's that?

Tama Cobra Clutch

4. As far as i understood you use Logic for most of your work. I guess you got many tracks with your drumset: no latency or overload problems when recording? (p/s: i use Pro Tools HD1 to record myself and i have no experience with Logic).

I experience no latency because I don't monitor the drums through the computer. I use an analog desk to hear the drums as I'm playing. I set the levels very carefully to avoid overloads - but the Apogee Rosettas also have a 'soft limit' button just in case something goes slightly over at any point.

cheers
Gavin
Old 02-21-2010, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Hi facu

Steve sings it on the record - but John sings it in the live concert.

We have no plans to at this moment.

Hi steste50

Yes I got some of the BA-CH cymbal holders threaded all the way down to the bottom of the shaft. Normally they stop about 3cms before they reach the bottom. So the lower three have been altered and the higher two are just normal. Make sense?

Not that I'm aware of.

Tama Cobra Clutch

I experience no latency because I don't monitor the drums through the computer. I use an analog desk to hear the drums as I'm playing. I set the levels very carefully to avoid overloads - but the Apogee Rosettas also have a 'soft limit' button just in case something goes slightly over at any point.

cheers
Gavin
4. ---> I meant CPU overload (sorry, my fault)

Thx
Old 02-21-2010, 11:53 PM

Hey Gavin!

I just want to start off by saying that your a huge influence on my drumming and I love your music! Thank you for all of the awesome beats that you bring us.

Secondly, I have a question about the song "Fear of a Blank Planet". Is there somewhere where I can find notation of the crazy drum fill thats about five minutes into the song? I could never figure the time or rhythm of it. That would be awesome!

That's pretty much it. Thanks for reading all of these posts! Have an awesome day!

P.S.---- seeing you guys on April 30th at the Riviera in Chicago! Hope to meet up with you there! Can't wait!
Old 02-22-2010, 06:03 AM

Hi Gavin,
Congratulations on The Incident! Brilliant album! I saw you guys play live in Mumbai, India last year in December, great show even though Steven had a few technical issues. I really loved the Russia On Ice/Anesthetize medley. PLEASE play in Mumbai again soon!

I have a question - How do i get the snare to stop buzzing while playing the toms? Some people have told me it's because of the head,and some people are telling me to get rid of a few wires. I don't really know.. and i don't want to risk ruining the snare by careless experiments.

Cheers!

P.S. Oh and this might sound a little stupid, but any tips on countering palm sweat? :s

Last edited by karan.patil; 02-22-2010 at 07:49 AM.
Old 02-22-2010, 09:20 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan.patil View Post
I have a question - How do i get the snare to stop buzzing while playing the toms?
I second the question, Gavin. My snare buzzes only when I play the 10" Tom that's mounted right above it. Only that one, I have a 12" right next to ti, and 14" and 16" floor toms, and none cause ANY buzz at all, but the 10" above the snare does, have you ever experienced anything similar?

Thanks Gavin, Fox.
Old 02-22-2010, 10:17 AM

[quote=pixelbreaker;667833]Hey Gavin!

Secondly, I have a question about the song "Fear of a Blank Planet". Is there somewhere where I can find notation of the crazy drum fill thats about five minutes into the song? I could never figure the time or rhythm of it. That would be awesome!
QUOTE]

Hi pixelbreaker,

Here is the fill you're talking about. Terry Branam transcribed it.

Bye

Alex P.
Attached Images

Old 02-22-2010, 11:32 AM

That Fear of A Blank Planet fill may be my favorite drum fill of all time.

Is there a "trick" to it, Gavin? Was it spontaneous or did you work it out before??

Thank you a again for answering questions here, it´s much appreciated!
Old 02-22-2010, 12:06 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi steste50

4. ---> I meant CPU overload

No I never have had that problem and I'm using a pretty old Mac G5.

Hi karan.patil

How do i get the snare to stop buzzing while playing the toms? Some people have told me it's because of the head,and some people are telling me to get rid of a few wires. I don't really know.. and i don't want to risk ruining the snare by careless experiments.

It's the reason that I originally started cutting my snare wires down to 8 strands. I then discovered that I really liked the sound of that. There's a few reasons why you're getting the snare buzz when you hit the toms. Usually it's the tom that is in close proximity (like Fox622003 is experiencing) and usually it's because the pitch of the tom and the snare are too close. If you turn your snares off and compare the tom and the snare pitch you'll hear what I mean. You have to decide if you want to keep the snare or the tom pitch as it is and then move the pitch of the other up or down. You'll never get rid of all the snare buzz but you can reduce it. Also loosening the 4 lugs that are closest to the snare wires can help a little bit.It can also depend how loose you have the snare wires.
I filmed a whole section about this on my DVD "Rhythmic Designs" as well as my preferred tuning method and how I set up the snare drum.

Hi Orko111 and pixelbreaker

That Fear of A Blank Planet fill may be my favorite drum fill of all time.
Is there a "trick" to it, Gavin? Was it spontaneous or did you work it out before??

Basically it's one of my favourite stickings R L R R L with a double time double hit on the bass drum. If it was just a single bass drum hit it would be a straight cycle of 6 notes. When I was working on that song originally it didn't have any drum break in it and just went straight into the next section. I thought it would be a more exciting transition if there was a drum fill in there and help set up the next section. I think I improvised something very similar to this fill when I was in the demo stage. Then I went back and refined it.

Cheers
Gavin
Old 02-22-2010, 12:22 PM

Hi Gavin

That's the problem, mate. There's no way I can get your DVD here in India. I remember looking for months until i finally found the Fear Of A Blank Planet Surround Sound DVD in an obscure little music shop that mainly deals in the mainstream Hindi music here.

thanks!
Old 02-22-2010, 03:49 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi karan.patil

There's no way I can get your DVD here in India. I remember looking for months until i finally found the Fear Of A Blank Planet Surround Sound DVD in an obscure little music shop that mainly deals in the mainstream Hindi music here.

yes there may be no distribution of these items in India - however you can buy directly from me via the burning shed website.

http://www.burningshed.com/store/gavinharrison/

cheers
Gavin
Old 02-22-2010, 09:28 PM

Hi Gavin,

First off, I just want to say something that you've probably heard a billion trillion times by now. You are a *brilliant* drummer. Plain and simple. You've been my favorite drummer since I first heard your work on "In Absentia", and everything you've done since then has been out of this world (absolutely dig the new OSI release, "Blood").

I'm grew up in Mumbai, India, and I've been living in Portland, Oregon for the last several years now. I've heard SW go on record saying that Portland was one of his best gigs, and having heard generally good stuff about the recent Mumbai gig (unfortunately I wasn't visiting India at the time), I feel happy to have connections with both those places! What are your thoughts overall about your first gig in India?

Another question - as you correctly pointed out on your website, it is an ordeal to (a) find a good drummer, and (b) find one with a good recording set-up. I'm not a fan of using loops and programmed drums on the final cut of a CD (been there, done that, don't want to do it again). How do I go about even finding the right drummer? Seems like a bit of a shot in the dark, and mostly luck. Are there resources out there on session drummers? I have an ambitious project in the pipeline, and not being a musician for a living makes it a bit difficult to network, or get noticed. On that note, how do you choose who you work with, and if you would be willing to lend your expertise to someone's tracks?

Cheers, and I can't wait to see you play again. Any plans on visiting the Portland area soon?
Old 02-23-2010, 05:13 AM

Hi Gavin,
1.What about shipping? Burning Shed is based in the UK, right? Can you tell me about how long it will take and how much extra is it going to cost for me to have it shipped here?

2.Also, during your studio recording sessions, i have noticed in most of Porcupine Tree albums and your work with Ric, that everyone's playing pretty complex stuff.. Steven, Colin and Ric with their complex guitar melodies, how do you get about finally making a song?

3. In Anesthetize, what are the time signatures for the heavy double bass and the cymbals bit just before the coda?

Cheers
Old 02-23-2010, 08:34 AM

Hey Gavin,

Thanks for replying! I understand the fill now!

Just one more question. I know someone who knows some other people (lol) that go to just about all of your shows and hang around with you guys before you go on stage... Do you guys usually hang around before shows?

-Branndon (aka pixelbreaker)
Old 02-23-2010, 09:58 AM

[
3. In Anesthetize, what are the time signatures for the heavy double bass and the cymbals bit just before the coda? ]

Hi Karan_Patil,
Search for thread 2775, i think is what you´re looking for.
Greetings
Old 02-23-2010, 10:04 AM

Hey Gus,

Please link me to it. I'm a little new 'round here.

cheers
Old 02-23-2010, 11:12 AM

Thanks for that Gavin,

Like Pixelbreaker I now understand the fill. I had a go at it last night and find that there is big difference between knowing "what" and knowing "how", hehe...

Practice will bridge that gap eventually though.....hopefully....
Old 02-23-2010, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan.patil View Post
Hey Gus,

Please link me to it. I'm a little new 'round here.

cheers
Hi Karan.Patil

here you are...

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...453#post497453

Greetings
Old 02-24-2010, 12:27 AM

Rythmic Illusions is probably the best DVD I have ever studied from. It has helped me create many of my own "Illusions", and now I can play them to a click! Thanx for all the knowledge u share w/ the world, Gavin. It is greatly appreciated by all of us!

infowars.com
Old 02-24-2010, 05:54 AM

Gavin is my favourite drummer now.
I discovered Gavin's drumming in late 95',I'm Italian and he had played whit many Italian Artist.
Maybe now his drumming is different,but I advise you to listen this cd "La forza dell'amore" by Eugenio Finardi
Check the Harrison's discography,you can find very interesting Italian pop tracks whit amazing fills,groove ecc...
Now I live in London,I try to meet Gavin,but is impossible :-(,I hope maybe one day...
Old 02-24-2010, 11:25 AM

@ Mattiadrummer,
oi you better not make it a one-on-one thing, yeah? call me too! hehe
Old 02-25-2010, 01:00 AM

Hi gavin!

one question... at the end of the song Cheating the Polygraph from the N.R. album... the one that you do, it sounds really fast.. is it?
How do you do that?
Old 02-25-2010, 01:52 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi xxporcupinextreexx

What are your thoughts overall about your first gig in India?

We had a great time - it really was an experience.

How do I go about even finding the right drummer? On that note, how do you choose who you work with, and if you would be willing to lend your expertise to someone's tracks?

Finding the right musicians to work with can take a very long time. You need to get out there and hear a lot of drummers.

Any plans on visiting the Portland area soon?

Not as far as I know.

Hi karan.patil

1.What about shipping? Burning Shed is based in the UK, right? Can you tell me about how long it will take and how much extra is it going to cost for me to have it shipped here?

Yes Burning Shed is based in the UK but they will ship just about anywhere. Go to their website and ask them. Sorry - but I have no idea how much the shipping costs.

2.Also, during your studio recording sessions, i have noticed in most of Porcupine Tree albums and your work with Ric, that everyone's playing pretty complex stuff.. Steven, Colin and Ric with their complex guitar melodies, how do you get about finally making a song?

I don't quite understand the question. Can you re-phrase it?

Hi pixelbreaker

I know someone who knows some other people (lol) that go to just about all of your shows and hang around with you guys before you go on stage... Do you guys usually hang around before shows?

Not usually. Who are you talking about - are they friends of someone in the band perhaps?

Hi Zildjoe

one question... at the end of the song Cheating the Polygraph from the N.R. album... the one that you do, it sounds really fast.. is it? How do you do that?

It's the same as the start of "Slippin 'Away"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKCIUpW3q9s

5/8 in triplet 16ths. It is pretty fast and usually my hands are quite tired by the time I reach that point in Cheating The Polygraph

Cheers
Gavin
Old 02-25-2010, 02:26 AM

Hey Gavin,

I'm not really sure if they are or not. But I think that they call themselves the "Porcupine Tree Followers". I just know that they came to several of your shows during the European tour last year.

-Branndon