DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 08-02-2018, 09:15 PM
Silver Member

Default Y'all ever seen this dude?

https://youtu.be/tzQ54hdJ2Ck
Old 08-02-2018, 09:51 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Y'all ever seen this dude?

Don't care for the music, but the guy has some drum skills.
Old 08-02-2018, 09:55 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwesley View Post
Don't care for the music, but the guy has some drum skills.
Yeah, not my favorite song. Impressive left hand though!
Old 08-02-2018, 10:09 PM
Platinum Member

Yeah, but can he be convincing playing ďMustang SallyĒ?
Old 08-02-2018, 10:28 PM
Platinum Member

I noticed this video about a month ago and I agree, the left hand is something to which we could all aspire. I also notice he makes stacks the way I've always made them - with broken cymbals!
Old 08-02-2018, 11:30 PM
Silver Member

I watched without sound (but i know the track) and to me he looks a little too much like he wants to be the 'cool one', which is highly subjective and musically completely not relevant, i agree, lol..

But i also saw a lot of movements, which indicates a lot of notes and i prefer Rythm and Blues when that style actually still was Rythm and Blues and when the drummers also still played that way..

Those new hyperactive R&B and Gospel drummers never impress me a lot..
Old 08-03-2018, 02:35 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
Yeah, but can he be convincing playing “Mustang Sally”?
What makes you think he'll ever need to play that?
Old 08-03-2018, 05:29 AM
Platinum Member

Meh. Iíve got a better left hand, his posture is weird, and I bet heíd fall apart if he had to play with somebody who had bad time and kept changing tempo. He seems like a typical bedroom YouTube drummer.

Good feel, though. And decent chops. Just needs to work on posture and actually playing with people instead of just tracks.
Old 08-03-2018, 05:29 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin5 View Post
What makes you think he'll ever need to play that?
Because sooner or later you want to start making money if you’re gonna go to the trouble of hauling around drums to play with people ;)

Even Vinnie Colaiuta does his fair share of 2 & 4 ;)
Old 08-03-2018, 05:38 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Push pull stroke View Post
Meh. Iíve got a better left hand, his posture is weird, and I bet heíd fall apart if he had to play with somebody who had bad time and kept changing tempo. He seems like a typical bedroom YouTube drummer.

Good feel, though. And decent chops. Just needs to work on posture and actually playing with people instead of just tracks.
What makes you think he doesn't play with people too? I love when people throw around the ol' "yeah, but I bet he couldn't play...", not knowing what he can or can't play. Just such a hater statement.
Old 08-03-2018, 05:51 AM

Quote:

Man, I thought that was pretty kick@ss, I'd love to be that good ;-)

I googled him and he's definitely not (just) stuck playing in his bedroom youtubing. He's currently at Berklee and has a pretty interesting background. Like I said, I 'd love to be that good (but I'm a finance guy with an MBA instead of a music degree so it's ok, I can't expect to ever be that good ;-))

http://www.gianlucapellerito.com/biography/
Old 08-03-2018, 05:52 AM
Platinum Member

Playing open handed makes everything look cool. If I were just starting drums Iíd go open handed-I think switching sides of your brain opens new creative doors. I like this style he emulate it well. I was thinking about this recently- how we spend huge amounts of time practicing rudiments and emulating fills , styles of our favorites drummers. I wonder do we spend enough time being creative in our own right. Like all my tesearch years was about doing something novel and making a contribution but Iíve never felt compelled to do so with drums-I think that was a wrong attitude.
Old 08-03-2018, 05:58 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjj View Post
Man, I thought that was pretty kick@ss, I'd love to be that good ;-)

I googled him and he's definitely not (just) stuck playing in his bedroom youtubing. He's currently at Berklee and has a pretty interesting background. Like I said, I 'd love to be that good (but I'm a finance guy with an MBA instead of a music degree so it's ok, I can't expect to ever be that good ;-))

http://www.gianlucapellerito.com/biography/
Eh. Needs to fix his posture still. But Iím glad he can actually play live.
Old 08-03-2018, 06:00 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Because sooner or later you want to start making money if youíre gonna go to the trouble of hauling around drums to play with people ;)

Even Vinnie Colaiuta does his fair share of 2 & 4 ;)
And someone looking at Vinnie chopping away as a youngster might have said something like "Yeah, but can he be convincing playing ďMustang SallyĒ?"
Old 08-03-2018, 06:32 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
And someone looking at Vinnie chopping away as a youngster might have said something like "Yeah, but can he be convincing playing ďMustang SallyĒ?"
I like Vinnie, but I'm not aware of his history before Frank Zappa. To me it's like he just appeared all of sudden with Zappa, and then immediately went into studio work in L.A. after he left Zappa. So I couldn't say.

But certainly after Zappa, when I heard Vinnie laying it down on Robben Ford's first album, there was no question the guy could lay down a tasteful backbeat - which is why he's probably in the top five of guys you call for a session anywhere.
Old 08-03-2018, 06:35 AM
Gold Member

Quote:

Lol, seriously? Helps to do a bit of research before jumping to conclusions :)
Maybe you do have a better left hand. But frankly, if I had the choice of a better left hand and better posture, or being out there in public performing with the technical ability of this kid, I'd take the latter all day long. Already he could make a nice living just from being a clinician if he wants.

Live
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiXFkwAiXY0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90F_zya9ajY

At Berklee
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkxMqdQ7Z7Q
Old 08-03-2018, 06:52 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
I like Vinnie, but I'm not aware of his history before Frank Zappa. To me it's like he just appeared all of sudden with Zappa, and then immediately went into studio work in L.A. after he left Zappa. So I couldn't say.

But certainly after Zappa, when I heard Vinnie laying it down on Robben Ford's first album, there was no question the guy could lay down a tasteful backbeat - which is why he's probably in the top five of guys you call for a session anywhere.

Yeah, the thing is with Vinnie is that he just loves to play and will and can play anything, and has played anything and everything. And I'm glad he did and still does. But if he'd decided to never play a 2 & 4 pop session, I've no doubt he would still have made a very good living as the drummer's drummer with the likes of Zappa, Holdsworth, Corea and every other virtuoso situation that he's always been involved in and is still in demand for. That kid in this thread is young and full of chops, but he's at Berklee, no doubt studying every aspect of playing and reading. As he matures he will know when it's required be less busy and I've little doubt he can lay down Mustang Sally. Right now though, he's probably thinking of being the best technical drummer he can be, just like Dave Weckl always did.
Old 08-03-2018, 07:29 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Yeah, the thing is with Vinnie is that he just loves to play and will and can play anything, and has played anything and everything. And I'm glad he did and still does. But if he'd decided to never play a 2 & 4 pop session, I've no doubt he would still have made a very good living as the drummer's drummer with the likes of Zappa, Holdsworth, Corea and every other virtuoso situation that he's always been involved in and is still in demand for. That kid in this thread is young and full of chops, but he's at Berklee, no doubt studying every aspect of playing and reading. As he matures he will know when it's required be less busy and I've little doubt he can lay down Mustang Sally. Right now though, he's probably thinking of being the best technical drummer he can be, just like Dave Weckl always did.
And then Dave Weckl met Freddie Gruber, and everything changed. Heck, Neil Peart did the same thing with Freddie.

However, I'm sure his pedigree will let him know when to be less busy, but I've met a lot of guys that went through Berklee that never figured that out too. There's a lot of out-of-work guys here in L.A. that went to the big schools. So that's no real guarantee, either.
Old 08-03-2018, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Hm. I watched the Caravan clip (above) and am underwhelmed. No dynamics, no ideas to speak of, not even a good sound. Just chops.
He sure can play but IMHO thereīs plenty of room for improvement regarding taste and musicality.
Old 08-03-2018, 05:13 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Lol, seriously? Helps to do a bit of research before jumping to conclusions :)
Maybe you do have a better left hand. But frankly, if I had the choice of a better left hand and better posture, or being out there in public performing with the technical ability of this kid, I'd take the latter all day long. Already he could make a nice living just from being a clinician if he wants.

Live
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90F_zya9ajY

At Berklee
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkxMqdQ7Z7Q
You would pay to see him do a clinic? Iím asking seriously.
Old 08-03-2018, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulfinger View Post
Hm. I watched the Caravan clip (above) and am underwhelmed. No dynamics, no ideas to speak of, not even a good sound. Just chops.
He sure can play but IMHO thereīs plenty of room for improvement regarding taste and musicality.

That was 4 years ago... he's probably a teenager for kryst's sake. I'm guessing he's gotten a sh!tload better since then (wrt dynamics, ideas, etc..).

You guys must unbelieveable players... I wish more of you posted vids of yourselves. I started paying in '82 and I absolutely suck compared to that guy.
Old 08-03-2018, 06:06 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjj View Post
..I wish more of you posted vids of yourselves..

There is no need for that, because ofcourse no one in this thread (and 99% of the rest of the forum) has technical skills like this guy..

But then still he can be annoying, or, just not nice to listen to..

I have that for example also with Virgil Donati..Once i watched a 50 minute solo-video from him and that was actually the only time in my life that i got physically angry and irritated from someones playing, just because each second 100 notes had to be played..

When you tell everything allready in the first minute, then the next hour there is nothing else anymore to listen to..
Old 08-03-2018, 06:14 PM
Platinum Member

He definitely has the gospel chop influence. I think that is what bugs people- too many notes. I often see comments related to those players ďyes they got chops but can they........fill in the blank. Heís got chops but he grooves too. I like to see young players who donít use the double kick so much and opt for single. Donít get me wrong I love double kick licks just like to see single kickers still kicking. He seems to be a young fella having a chance to ďmake itĒ so it seems we should be encouraging him. To the Mustang Sally point I think they mean can he play multiple styles and genres and play to song- rather than be a focus of song?? In videos heís front and center.im curious if he dropped the chops and played to everyoneís taste here would he be getting the attention- my guess not :0
Old 08-03-2018, 06:27 PM
Platinum Member

Who knows one day he could be on a DW thread of ďGreatest Drummer of all timeĒ. Iíll probably be dead by then, and Buddy Rich rolling in his grave, but I like to think one day we will be celebrating one of our own DW members reaching the pinnacle of peer acclaim by all. I know i know Iím naively altruistic and even great drummers like Buddy or Ginger get dissed for being a dick. Hey there is a recurrent them of ďbusting chopsĒ of drummers- LOL
Old 08-03-2018, 06:30 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetAgrippa View Post
..To the Mustang Sally point I think they mean can he play multiple styles and genres and play to song..

Personally i have no idea why that song is still brought up, because untill now i never saw someone play that song in a way that comes even close to the original part, when speaking about laying down a groove without unnecessary fills..

Maybe there are a few Soul-fanatics to be found somewhere who will play that song in the way that the song deserves, but for the rest that argument to me starts to feel a little as a joke..
Old 08-03-2018, 06:53 PM
Platinum Member

To the OP, no, I never saw that guy before. He's a good player! Shades of a young, white Carter Beauford, lol.
Old 08-03-2018, 07:08 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldskoolsoul View Post
Personally i have no idea why that song is still brought up, because untill now i never saw someone play that song in a way that comes even close to the original part, when speaking about laying down a groove without unnecessary fills..

Maybe there are a few Soul-fanatics to be found somewhere who will play that song in the way that the song deserves, but for the rest that argument to me starts to feel a little as a joke..
I agree 100% about Mustang Sally.

The reason audiences love to hear Mustang Sally is that the original recording was a real butt mover.

The original song has so much mojo that it becomes almost impossible to play it like the original. Like you, I have yet to hear it played correctly. The bass line and the drum part sound so simple yet no one plays it with the same feeling as the original. And the original singing is just incredible. I used to hope someone would play that song live. Now I don’t even want to hear it played live anymore because I’ve been let down so many times.

In fact if you listen to Wilson Pickett doing the song live; he and the band don’t even play it like the original. Most of the time they were playing it too fast.

PS. Buddy Guy does a decent job on that song.

Old 08-03-2018, 09:32 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
You would pay to see him do a clinic? Iím asking seriously.
Nope. If I wanted to watch a gospel chops player, I'd go and watch Chris Coleman, Stanley Randolph, Eric Moore, Aaron Spears, etc. Gospel chops are not my thing though I enjoy watching it in small doses. My point is that if you have the kind of speed, dexterity, timing and vocab that this guy has, you'll be noticed, get endorsed and get asked to do clinics.
Old 08-03-2018, 10:02 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Nope. If I wanted to watch a gospel chops player, I'd go and watch Chris Coleman, Stanley Randolph, Eric Moore, Aaron Spears, etc. Gospel chops are not my thing though I enjoy watching it in small doses. My point is that if you have the kind of speed, dexterity, timing and vocab that this guy has, you'll be noticed, get endorsed and get asked to do clinics.
His singles around the kit sound really good, their feel is really nice. Thatís all I saw that seemed noticeably better than average.
Old 08-03-2018, 10:15 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
His singles around the kit sound really good, their feel is really nice. Thatís all I saw that seemed noticeably better than average.
There's loads more going on in his playing aside from his singles. If you can't see that and you think the rest of his playing is average, then I don't know what else to say.
Old 08-04-2018, 02:52 AM
Gold Member

Sorry but Mustang Sally really isn't the pinnacle/basis of drumming. Amazing how many times this song comes up on this forum.

So anyway, back to the video. Young kid having fun and playing better then most of us? Good on him.
Old 08-04-2018, 05:25 AM
Silver Member

All you folks who think this guy (forget about your dislike of the song) is just okay, or think that you could do better, I'd be very interested to see video of you playing like that... and to a click track.
Old 08-04-2018, 10:36 AM
Silver Member

I liked his playing on the Gambino track. It's modern hip hop with a sparse, basic vocal, and his take is genre appropriate for the times.
Old 08-04-2018, 02:15 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
There's loads more going on in his playing aside from his singles. If you can't see that and you think the rest of his playing is average, then I don't know what else to say.
ďAverageĒ as in ďtypical for someone with his musical trainingĒ. Of course heís a good drummer. But those singles around the kit were the only thing I heard that made me sit up and take notice. Weíre all used to seeing Mangini and Rabb and Gadd and Buddy Rich on YouTube. Itís hard to impress us.
Old 08-05-2018, 03:41 AM

Canít wait to see this guy in a band!
Old 08-05-2018, 08:23 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Whatever. The best I can do for you is admit I really like the feel of his singles around the kit. I can make straight 16ths groove really nicely on the snare, but havenít developed that around the toms yet. Which isnít shocking, given my musical background. But itís just a matter of taking what Iím doing on the snare and getting it to happen around the toms, itís just a matter of practice. Thatís all this kid has thatís special.
Is there anywhere we can see a video of you playing?
Old 08-05-2018, 10:04 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutaway79 View Post
Is there anywhere we can see a video of you playing?
Iíve posted a few videos here and there, but I can summarize it for you. I have excellent time and decent groove, and excellent bounce control. My hands are way ahead of my feet, and my linear independence is...better than it used to be. The thing Iím really proud of in my playing is how quickly and well I adjust to people messing with the time. Which isnít, oddly, something I worked on. I took 13 years off from playing much at all, and when I came back, suddenly I could easily handle even really bad timekeeping when playing with others.
Old 08-05-2018, 11:22 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
I’ve posted a few videos here and there, but I can summarize it for you. I have excellent time and decent groove, and excellent bounce control. My hands are way ahead of my feet, and my linear independence is...better than it used to be. The thing I’m really proud of in my playing is how quickly and well I adjust to people messing with the time. Which isn’t, oddly, something I worked on. I took 13 years off from playing much at all, and when I came back, suddenly I could easily handle even really bad timekeeping when playing with others.

Quote:
Whatever. The best I can do for you is admit I really like the feel of his singles around the kit. I can make straight 16ths groove really nicely on the snare, but haven’t developed that around the toms yet. Which isn’t shocking, given my musical background. But it’s just a matter of taking what I’m doing on the snare and getting it to happen around the toms, it’s just a matter of practice. That’s all this kid has that’s special.
So are you saying that once you can play straight 1/16ths around the toms, you'll be playing as good as the kid in the videos? I'm not having a go at you, it's a serious question. I don't doubt you have decent time and have a good command of some rudiments. But come on, this is a drum forum for drum discussion, so let's call a spade a spade. You talked about picking people's playing apart for improvement, so here we go. There's a video you have called Sleishman snare, steambent rosewood on your youtube page. Based on the very basic beat you're playing from 1:35 I don't think you're in a position to say all he has going is this and that. I'd say you have a very long way to go to produce a groove even remotely close to his, let alone adding fills around the kit. I mean this in the nicest and most helpful way I can, but I would focus on developing your groove ideas and forgetting about snare drum rudiments for now. And trust me, I don't exclude myself, I work hard on improving groove all the time, it's a lifetime work in progress.
Old 08-06-2018, 12:18 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
What’s all this aggression about?
Seriously. Are you playing the victim again?

That approach is old, boring, predictable and you've beaten it to bloody death.

You throw pompous little barbs all over the forum and then stamp your feet with utter disbelief and self-righteous indignance when someone calls you out for acting like an elitist turd.

Give it away already. And get over yourself.........for our sake as much as your own.
Old 08-06-2018, 12:43 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
So are you saying that once you can play straight 1/16ths around the toms, you'll be playing as good as the kid in the videos? I'm not having a go at you, it's a serious question. I don't doubt you have decent time and have a good command of some rudiments. But come on, this is a drum forum for drum discussion, so let's call a spade a spade. You talked about picking people's playing apart for improvement, so here we go. There's a video you have called Sleishman snare, steambent rosewood on your youtube page. Based on the very basic beat you're playing from 1:35 I don't think you're in a position to say all he has going is this and that. I'd say you have a very long way to go to produce a groove even remotely close to his, let alone adding fills around the kit. I mean this in the nicest and most helpful way I can, but I would focus on developing your groove ideas and forgetting about snare drum rudiments for now. And trust me, I don't exclude myself, I work hard on improving groove all the time, it's a lifetime work in progress.
LOL My groove has improved by leaps and bounds since then. Yes, that sucked, it was about 15 minutes after I woke up, no warmup, and I didnít practice that groove or even plan to play a groove. But yes, it was awful. LOL

*shrug* I mean, I can post another video where Iím fully awake, playing something I have actually practiced before, and am warmed up.

My point about the kid is that thereís a really nice feel to the random 16th fills on the toms, thatís all. I can play that just fine, I know what heís doing to get that sound, but I canít bust out little licks like that and have that nice slightly-swung groove in them. Theyíd be generic-sounding. Iíd have to have them at least somewhat pre-planned and well-practiced to play what he did as well as he did. Now, anyway. If I had 3 years, 4 hours a day in the practice room, yeah, Iíd be ahead of what he just did. But what other skills does he have that didnít get shown off? Can he samba, merengue, buzz roll well, etc.?