DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 06-26-2017, 09:43 PM

Default Phil Erhart

I watched a documentary on Kansas, a very big influence on my musical upbringing, and I think Erhart's drumming was very proggy but really intricate.

Any other thoughts on this wonderful musician?
Old 06-26-2017, 11:31 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Default Re: Phil Erhart

Phil Ehart was a major influence on me. His playing really resonated with me. Their first 3 albums were off the charts. Leftoverture was no slouch either, but I lost interest after Point of Know Return. Great live show too, Steve Walsh was a regular dynamo back in the 70's.
Crystal clear sound too, I saw them at the Allentown (PA) fairgrounds and at the original Philadelphia Spectrum. circa 78/79 as I recall. Fond memories man.

I really dug that band. The first song I heard from them was "Down The Road". What a badass tune. It's a very masculine sounding song to me. I was hooked hard. "The Devil Game" was another favorite, along with "Icarus: Borne on Wings of Steel". Masque was probably my all around favorite album by them, closely followed by "Song For America", which was closely followed by their first self titled first release. Leftoverture got a little too commercial for my taste, but was still a great album. Their Point of Know Return album had some nice gems too as I recall. Best times of my life, when Kansas was popular. "Lamplighter Symphony" what a great song...

Thanks for showing Phil some DW love.
Old 06-27-2017, 12:11 AM
Platinum Member

I was introduced to them with their Audiovisions album and instantly hooked. I still listen to them and play as many as their tunes as I can, but some of their orchestrations still whip my tail. I can't think of another band that was as technical, besides Yes that through curve balls at every turn. One of the best bands ever as far as I'm concerned.
Old 06-27-2017, 03:21 AM
Gold Member

One of my favorite bands. It's a shame that you only two or three of their songs on the radio.

I first saw them in Fort Wayne, Indiana where they opened for Queen on the Sheer Heart Attack tour, 1973 or 1974. Kansas had recently released "Song for America" and that was the very first I heard them.

I've always been impressed by Phil's fluidity around. the kit. He always seems to come with the perfect drum part for a song.
Old 06-27-2017, 03:39 AM
Silver Member

Yep, Kansas was a big influence on my future passion for playing drums. Song For America grabbed me and the band has never let me go. Just love the musicality of Phils playing. I've always placed Erhart up there with Peart. Argue if you will. The man pushes the kit... fluid yet tight.

Hopefully you saw the "Miracles" docu. Phil has been and is the heart of the band. If it wasn't for him, the band would have dismantled long ago.

Check out their latest project The Prelude Implicit. Very reminiscent of their early work.
Old 06-27-2017, 05:54 AM
"Uncle Larry"

I always thought it would be cool if "Song For America" became the national anthem.
Old 06-27-2017, 11:32 PM

Yep I remember reading an interview with Neil Peart and this was way back before Rush released Moving Pictures and the interviewer asked him if his playing is emulative of Phil Ehart and he had nothing but praise for Ehart saying when you hear him play you can hear the noted being played on his kit.
Old 06-27-2017, 11:39 PM
Platinum Member

I love Kansas and Phil Ehart. I have seen Kansas six times, the last time being last July, which was the best show I have ever seen (besides the Trans-Siberian Orchestra). He does not get enough credit in the drumming world. Peace and goodwill.
Old 06-28-2017, 01:04 AM
Gold Member

Oddly and embarrassingly, I feel like I only know Carry On. Listening to some more tunes and digging it. Im getting a Toto meets Captain Beefheart meets Mahavishnu meets Joshie got a good strain vibe. Cool stuff. How do I not know this stuff?
Old 06-28-2017, 01:35 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Boogie View Post
Oddly and embarrassingly, I feel like I only know Carry On. Listening to some more tunes and digging it. Im getting a Toto meets Captain Beefheart meets Mahavishnu meets Joshie got a good strain vibe. Cool stuff. How do I not know this stuff?
That was because back then there were air played songs that were fort of good and the rest of the album that rocked. Unless you got the album or heard it somewhere, there was no way to know half of what was really cool about the band. Today, you hear a good song, don't waist your money on the album, because the song is it.

on the other hand, I don't thing a song like Song For America would have a chance of being enjoyed today, if it was released. There are no cuss words in it and the music was actually thought out well and in a far more complex time signature than 4/4.

Uh oh....there's that kids these days comment again, but I really miss the complexity of the older stuff like Kansas, Yes, etc. Imagine... a 9 minute song that actually went somewhere!
Old 06-28-2017, 07:03 AM
Platinum Member

Phil was one of my teenage influences. I think their 1st LP is my favorite. I must have 10 or more of their albums. Vinyl, cassette, and CD. Sorry no 8tracks left. I really like Masks a lot too. Well they're all great really. I got to see Phil play about a yr. or so ago. It was great. They played all that 70s stuff that I like so much. For me it was very emotional watching them in person. It's hard to explain, but I enjoyed it profoundly.
Sabian AA,AAX,HH,
Paiste Sig.
Old 06-28-2017, 07:52 AM
Gold Member

Nothing like being stoned in a large arena and the Kansas encore being Bringing it Back

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6FZBnX8e_w
Old 06-28-2017, 05:14 PM
Gold Member

Seen them many times and always list Phil in my list of favorite drummers. Fit the music very well!
Old 07-08-2017, 10:32 PM
Silver Member

Erhart's drumming has always blown me away. These are some of my favorites... https://youtu.be/-axVyggKny0.......https://youtu.be/9sJI9RDIJn4

Back when Leftoverture with "Carry On Wayward Son" came out, my sister bought the LP. I thought the album was just ok. Then, one day, after having heard the record several times, the music hit me like a ton of bricks. Suddenly I was like - "This music is AWESOME!"

After that point I had to get ALL their albums. Once the mid 80s came around though, just about all popular music became corrupted by technology and the new sound of electronics took out much, but not all, of the natural human feel, and I didn't enjoy a lot of music since then. 1974-1983 was my favorite period for Kansas.

Last edited by Ruok; 07-08-2017 at 10:43 PM.