DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 03-27-2014, 02:20 AM

Default Re: Vinnie Colaiuta

Where to start with VC...man...

It's not just that he was in another universe technically, musically, and rhythmically from the beginning of his professional career.

It's not just that he was a 22-year old (just a kid!) versatile virtuoso who could play anything that Frank Zappa threw at him, and then some.

It's not just that he managed to go from playing with Zappa and small-time fusion acts into a studio/session superstar rivaling the likes of Steve Gadd and Jeff Porcaro (RIP).

It's not just that he is always dynamic, always musical, always funky and groovy even when he's playing the most insane metric modulations and poly-rhythms in the world.

It's not just that he was part Tony Williams, part John Bonham, part Steve Gadd, part Billy Cobham, part Buddy Rich, part Elvin Jones, part Stewart Copeland, and 100 percent Vinnie Colaiuta!

It's not just that he can outplay most of us with his left hand while holding the groove with his right.

It's not just that he comes up with phrases that are out-of-this-galaxy in terms of their ridiculousness, bordering on ludicrous at times, making drummers around the world go, "COME ON!" (in a good way!)

It's not just that he has an appreciation for all styles of music, no matter how simple or complex-if it's good music, he will play it.

And it's not just that he has multiple interpretations of the beat, making him a true chameleon, virtuoso, and unique voice-all at once!

It's all of these things, and more. Don't believe me? Just listen to his work with Frank Zappa, Joni Mitchell, Allan Holdsworth, John Petittuci, Jeff Beck, Sting, Faith Hill, and Karizma, to name just a few.

I don't normally like the concept of "Best Drummer Alive", but if anyone deserves the title, Vinnie Colaiuta almost certainly has the greatest claim. And I know I'm far from alone with that opinion.......
Old 04-08-2014, 07:44 PM

They are Heuer drums, whoever whatever. Why should we really care what he plays. To each his own.
Old 04-08-2014, 07:48 PM

This might work for the interested.

https://www.google.com/url?q=http://...3Fr6rUFyT3sYGg
Old 04-11-2014, 10:41 PM
Platinum Member

I finally picked up a pair of the new stlcks.

It's alwyas been said that VF produced the sticks for Zildjian, but these sticks are clearly not made on the same machine. The diameter seems to just a little bit bigger alll around. Attention to detail on the butt and taper is better on the Zildjian. VF stick is slightly chippy.

More or less the same stick, but I definetly prefer the old one.

If Zildjian chooses to produce the old model with a different name on it I would prefer that one.

They pretty much took a bit of perfection and made it ever so slightly less perfect.
Old 05-04-2014, 02:40 AM

Remember, even back in the ten summoner's tales era, even though he was with Yamaha, he was still playing Gretsch in the studio, as was most session guys from that era. Porcaro as well. It doesn't matter what he plays. Nowadays most manufacturers are making great stuff.
Old 05-20-2014, 11:51 PM

He was one of my biggest inspiration when I was in high school !!

His sensibility and touch+vocabulary on the instrument ..... !!!

Perfect blend of Tony Williams and Steve Gadd !!
Old 03-29-2015, 05:10 AM

Does anybody know where to get a copy of the album "Images" by Bill Meyers? It's Vinnie in 1986 . . . and he is on fire. The compositions are also incredible!

I have been unable to track down a copy. The best I have seen is a few of the tracks in a YouTube playlist. I don't normally promote sharing free content, but there is no other way to hear this. It's a MUST for the true Vinnie fan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfFM...ndreaBaratella
Old 04-14-2015, 07:44 PM
Silver Member

Saw Sting and Paul Simon in Manchester last night and I do believe one of the two drummers on stage was Vinnie. He was smoking and, as far as I could see, was playing a Yamaha kit. I was a fair way back from the stage though so might be wrong.
Old 07-26-2015, 10:33 PM
Platinum Member

Look who's playing a Yamaha Live Oak Custom kit!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpclTo-FF5U
Old 07-27-2015, 12:33 AM
Silver Member

Yes I attended two Sting concerts in the last week, and they were amazing!
Old 12-13-2015, 12:27 PM
Platinum Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fb7A74oZvX0
Old 02-02-2016, 02:03 AM

Guys, do you have any pic or info about the Yamaha Prototype Maple kit that Vinnie had back in 90s with Sting? that was a natural maple finished kit, with separate turbo lugs..
Old 02-02-2016, 07:50 AM
Platinum Member

It might have been a Gretsch shell with Yamaha lugs installed, but I'm not sure.
Old 02-02-2016, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumming sort of person View Post
It might have been a Gretsch shell with Yamaha lugs installed, but I'm not sure.
MMM....don't think so....I remember an interview of him on an Italian drum magazine where he was talking about that prototype, actually the first Yamaha experiment with Maple shells
Old 02-24-2016, 07:47 PM
THE DRUM INSTRUCTOR

Hello All,

Just for the enjoyment of it....
This is an excerpt transcription from a YouTube video of a jam in 7/8 that Vinnie did at the Baked Potato L.A. This starts exactly at that point of the jam: https://youtu.be/ed_-L7jgzlA?t=3m8s He's playing in 7/8 and on the cym. bell he uses a 3 feel (like notated a dotted quarter note) over the 7/8 groove. It comes back around every 3 measures.

It's kinda fun and analytical at the same time, once you get it going.... enjoy!!!
Attached Images

Old 04-09-2016, 02:46 AM

Hey guys --

Here is a cool Vinnie lick to check out....it's a 7 note phrase played as 16th note triplets between the ride, bass drum and snare. My description makes it seem like a very technical idea, but it actually flows well and sounds musical.... there is a PDF you can download at the link.

Hope you enjoy it....

http://www.bangthedrumschool.com/nasty-drum-lick-77/

WATCH: BANG on YouTube
Old 04-10-2016, 08:24 PM

Hi folks,if you are interested check out the The UnReel Drum Book by Marc Atkinson :

http://www.alfred.com/Products/The-U...-00-0730B.aspx

In this book Marc Arkinson explain the drumming of Vinnie Colaiuta with transcriptions,exercises and play along tracks on the second CD.

,best
Old 06-03-2016, 08:28 AM
Platinum Member

Old 06-06-2016, 11:28 PM

Vinnie is back with Gretsch!

Here's a video of the unboxing of his new signature kit for the upcoming Sting tour:
https://youtu.be/Jn7puIbzhNQ
Old 06-07-2016, 01:38 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hefu View Post
Here's a video of the unboxing of his new signature kit for the upcoming Sting tour:
https://youtu.be/Jn7puIbzhNQ
Interesting. No suspension mounted tom, and there's rack yet the kick has a tom mount bracket.
Old 06-07-2016, 02:51 AM
Platinum Member

Seems it's actually his oldest Gretsch kit that's been restored and refinished.

"We lovingly restored and refinished Vinnie Colaiuta's Signature Kit from the 90's. Some of you might recognize it. What better way to welcome him back to Gretsch than for all of the fans to experience unboxing his kit with him. Welcome back! ‪#‎Gretschdrums‬ ‪#‎dwhardware‬"
Old 06-07-2016, 09:04 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odd-Arne Oseberg View Post
Seems it's actually his oldest Gretsch kit that's been restored and refinished.
Not his oldest, but one from his original endorsement arrangement. He played Gretsch before Zappa, and then another set with Zappa.
Old 06-07-2016, 07:30 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancisDrummer View Post
Hi folks,if you are interested check out the The UnReel Drum Book by Marc Atkinson :

http://www.alfred.com/Products/The-U...-00-0730B.aspx

In this book Marc Arkinson explain the drumming of Vinnie Colaiuta with transcriptions,exercises and play along tracks on the second CD.

,best
Yes, I've found that book to be very useful.
Old 06-08-2016, 12:15 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenS View Post
Where to start with VC...man...
[...]

It's not just that he is always dynamic, always musical, always funky and groovy even when he's playing the most insane metric modulations and poly-rhythms in the world.
I might sound ignorant, but I really cannot understand all that VC praise everywhere. Sure, he is a good drummer and did some good things with Sting (although not the Police cover-stuff. Sorry, no. His drumming doesn't fit there IMHO) e.g.. But quite often, his drumming sounded to me overly complex and was too much "in your face". A drummer drumming for himself, not keen on elevating the music, that is the impression that he instilled in me during all those past years.

Maybe I am just too stupid to recognize what the fuzz is all about. Maybe, my musical education went simply another path than that of the people who love to listen to him. I don't know. But since years I am trying to understand what would/could be so fascinating about him. I don't feel the magic. When I saw him playing with Chick Corea e.g, I always had the impression that he could only play loud and fast. Absolutely not musical at all. For me, he deadened the other instruments, killed the harmony of the songs. So..., with all due respect to what he has accomplished, IMHO he gets too much praise. Sure, important drummer, lots of credits. But for me definitely not as good as people say he is. But the same happens with Jack DeJohnette. Similar thing: Always overdoes things IMO and kills the music IMHO. I don't get the magic there, too.

Is there a chance that I might change my opinion? What should I listen to? After years of searching for the answer and listening to Zappa (don't like it), Sting and his drum-solos (on Yt), I am lost...

*scratch my head*

Maybe in order to understand my "musical thinking" I'll list some drummers, whose style I like. Maybe it helps in finding an answer: Joe Morello, Manu Katché, Steve Gadd, Adam Deitch, Karl Brazil, Ash Soan, Peter Erskine, Clyde Stubblefield, Steve Jordan, Art Blakey, Pete York, Zigaboo Modeliste,...
Old 06-08-2016, 12:34 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wave Deckel View Post
Maybe in order to understand my "musical thinking" I'll list some drummers, whose style I like. Maybe it helps in finding an answer: Joe Morello, Manu Katché, Steve Gadd, Adam Deitch, Karl Brazil, Ash Soan, Peter Erskine, Clyde Stubblefield, Steve Jordan, Art Blakey, Pete York, Zigaboo Modeliste,...
Vinnie is a fan of most of these and most of them are fans of Vinnie.

You like what you like.

I personally don't get the concept of going to a thread dedicated to someone you don't like and proclaiming that. It's pretty f'n weird.

Support what YOU like. The other side is really not necessary.
Old 06-08-2016, 12:52 AM
Gold Member

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to bash here. I just hope that someone might be able to point me to some recordings that I should perhaps check in order to find "the key" to his drumming. I have been searching it for years and... I mean... if so many people (inside and outside of the music industry) say he's good, so he must be good somehow. Why don't I hear/get that? What's wrong with me? Wrong perceptions? I just wonder why I can't see that "magic"... maybe as the only person on planet earth. It's beginning to frustrate me a bit. :-|
Old 06-08-2016, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Don't get me wrong, I don't want to bash here. I just hope that someone might be able to point me to some recordings that I should perhaps check in order to find "the key" to his drumming. I have been searching it for years and... I mean... if so many people (inside and outside of the music industry) say he's good, so he must be good somehow. Why don't I hear/get that? What's wrong with me? Wrong perceptions? I just wonder why I can't see that "magic"... maybe as the only person on planet earth. It's beginning to frustrate me a bit. :-|
Have you ever tried to play any of his stuff?

Check out this recent live version of Sting's "Seven Days" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZX3WO8BZ_4E then change gears and check out Herbie Hancock's "Nefertiti" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZUhW5z-JO4

How long have you been playing? Who are you normally into? Do you have anything specific that you don't like about his playing?
Old 06-08-2016, 03:53 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoAndPractice View Post

Check out this recent live version of Sting's "Seven Days" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZX3WO8BZ_4E then change gears and check out Herbie Hancock's "Nefertiti" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZUhW5z-JO4

How long have you been playing? Who are you normally into? Do you have anything specific that you don't like about his playing?
Seven Days is some nice playing. But I agree with the other poster, Vinnie doesn't ring my bell. I get that he's technically gifted, and if you enjoy listening to chops, that's fine. But surely you can get why some people just don't dig it. It's the same reason some people love prog and some people can't stand it, why some people like 'haute cuisine' and others find it pointless, why some people can find meaning in David Lynch's rabbits show while others think it's a scam, why some people go to those weird fashion shows where people wear garbage bags and pointy bras, etc. etc. It's just taste. There's no accounting for taste.

But that's what makes the Gretsch thing so weird to me. Vinnie's kind of a niche interest. I guess, though, off the top of my head I can't really think of a respected drummer who's also really popular.
Old 06-08-2016, 07:05 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllTheCoolNamesAreTaken View Post
…off the top of my head I can't really think of a respected drummer who's also really popular.
Neil Peart comes to mind. Even the chicks air drum to his fills (Rather, they used to). Does that count?

Ringo Starr had several million girls in the palm of his hand, and kick started another few million players on the drums. And gifted? His work on Abbey Road still stands today.

But that's just my 2¢.
Old 06-08-2016, 11:43 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoAndPractice View Post
No, definitely not. As I said, too much tiddelitiddelitit packed into most beats most of the time for my taste. And I know that I cannot play this stuff. Maybe it's just, apart from my technical incompetence, that I just prefer a more simplistic approach nowadays compared to when I was young (when I loved complex drumming and thought it was cool to have insanely complex rhyhtms).

Quote:
- a few decades
- see above
- yes. I have the impression that it's just too much packed that VC puts into many songs. Some are okay, some are cool, but some are just a turn off for me, beacuse it distracts from the musical theme, the tonality of the other instruments.
The Sting-Song you mentioned is one that I actually do like. This one with Herbie Hanckock is also good but https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkzLatem0VY but already pretty "loaded". Especially at the end.

This one is very tasteful IMHO. There he plays in a way that I love. Staying in the background, giving a good foundation for the band. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyv9r9L0L2w

But then there are things like these which are a turn off for me...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0CTeKuvyJg Reminds me of a Metal drummer trying to play with a Big Band...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkSCxKC1d0g Here I think all the time... don't drink so much coffe, slow down, man. (Less would be more here IMO. I miss the feel for the song which basically calls for soft gentle drumming and not these many notes and fills)
and this one is a performance where I always think: Please be quite once, let me hear the other musicians and don't get in my way with your fills and cymbals. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBWflnn6Or0. And I especially dislike his solos. It's just .... well... "noise" for my ears.

So there is light and also shadow. Sure, not every drummer can always play exceptionally well, has its ups and downs or can please everyone. But with all the praise that he gets from people in here, from Sting, Hanckock, Corea and others, it's really not easy for me to understand it why he is considered one of the best ever. To be honest: Drummers like Gadd have - for my taste - a better feel for the music and know when to be quiet and play simple. I never heard a thing with Gadd where I said: Ewww... too much, calm down. With VC I have this feeling more often than I want. :-(

Aaaaah.... Life is so complicated.

Quote:
...off the top of my head I can't really think of a respected drummer who's also really popular.
Ringo, Phil Collins, Dave Grohl.... well, there are some.
Old 06-08-2016, 07:25 PM
Silver Member

My point was that there's no modern, performing drummer who is like a Buddy Rich - someone you can point to as being famous and (almost) universally respected for their technique. That's what made this Gretsch thing so weird, it's like it's from a different time.

Quote:
Two people mention Ringo, who - as much as I love him - is not a universally respected drummer (go to his thread and check), nor has he been relevant for decades.

Phil Collins and Dave Grohl ... okay ... well, I was a huge original Genesis fan, and Phil was a pretty darn good drummer back then. Grohl seems like a nice guy. I just don't see either of their endorsements being prime movers in selling drum kits.

Before I leave this topic I want to make an important distinction: there is a big difference between trying to explain why you don't like something, versus trying to force other people not to like it. I'm not trying to do the latter. If you like Vinnie's music, why would I care? Have fun. It's just this whole "you don't like him? There must be something wrong with you. You must not GET IT." stuff that bugs me. As you pointed out, sometimes someone's playing just doesn't resonate with you, regardless of how skilled they are. If it was just about skill only people like Vinnie would have gigs.
Old 06-08-2016, 07:25 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0CTeKuvyJg Reminds me of a Metal drummer trying to play with a Big Band...
Yes. It's a fusion of sorts, intended to be a literal fusing of disparate genres. At the time, use of the double bass was fairly rare, and these rhythms are pretty inventive. The idea that metal should only be metal-ish, and that Big Band should only be Big Band-ish, seems purist. The entire genre of fusion rebels against this type of thinking.

That said, it's an ugly song. The melody would be haunting if it were played slowly, as in a horror movie soundtrack. And the rhythms are quite syncopated and jarring. The song is called Tsunami, of course, and doesn't strive to be a pretty or pleasing piece of music. No one's going to listen to it on a road trip. But hey, it's art. And it's damn tough to play. Notice how fills fly over the bar lines, sometimes ending on upbeats, and never sacrifice momentum or groove. Even if you're the type of player that can play all the licks, it's doubtful that you'd ever think to phrase them that way, or be given the creative license to do so in a recording studio.

Quote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkSCxKC1d0g Here I think all the time... don't drink so much coffe, slow down, man. (Less would be more here IMO. I miss the feel for the song which basically calls for soft gentle drumming and not these many notes and fills)
This song would just drone on and on without the rhythms, into shoe gaze territory. The rhythms keep the listener engaged, since the song is sort of one-dimensional. Birdland is kind of the same way.
Quote:

and this one is a performance where I always think: Please be quite once, let me hear the other musicians and don't get in my way with your fills and cymbals. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBWflnn6Or0. And I especially dislike his solos. It's just .... well... "noise" for my ears.
The acoustics in the large amphitheater aren't doing the listener any favors, but every single fill or lick is played in response to a rhythmic pattern initiated by another member of the ensemble, or a fill in anticipation of an ensemble figure. There's little, if any, chops for the sake of chops. Heck, Christian McBride is occasionally looking over, as if to say "damn!". He's not just listening to the other members, he's reacting, and threading his own ideas out of those reactions.

Quote:
a better feel for the music and know when to be quiet and play simple. I never heard a thing with Gadd where I said: Ewww... too much, calm down. With VC I have this feeling more often than I want. :-(
Here's VC laying back, but being pretty clever about it. Note the drum groove on the bridge, and the fill near the 6:20 mark. Check out Sting's catalog with VC, specifically Mercury Falling.
Old 06-09-2016, 03:10 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
It's just this whole "you don't like him? There must be something wrong with you. You must not GET IT." stuff that bugs me.
Well, sorry to bug you, but WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU? Hahahaha!

Seriously though, there is no other drummer like Vinnie. His ideas, his execution, his touch, his feel... it's all there in spades. If you don't hear it, you either haven't listened to the right stuff, or you don't have enough of a sophisticated musical drumming palette. There's no other way to put it really.

Who else can go from Zappa, to Faith Hill, to Megadeth, to Herbie Fuckin-Hancock and shine in every situation? He's first-call for a reason my friend.

https://youtu.be/wvnp5xQaatw
Old 06-09-2016, 09:26 AM

Quote:
No, definitely not. As I said, too much tiddelitiddelitit packed into most beats most of the time for my taste. And I know that I cannot play this stuff. Maybe it's just, apart from my technical incompetence, that I just prefer a more simplistic approach nowadays compared to when I was young (when I loved complex drumming and thought it was cool to have insanely complex rhyhtms).

- a few decades
- see above
- yes. I have the impression that it's just too much packed that VC puts into many songs. Some are okay, some are cool, but some are just a turn off for me, beacuse it distracts from the musical theme, the tonality of the other instruments.
The Sting-Song you mentioned is one that I actually do like. This one with Herbie Hanckock is also good but https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkzLatem0VY but already pretty "loaded". Especially at the end.

This one is very tasteful IMHO. There he plays in a way that I love. Staying in the background, giving a good foundation for the band. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyv9r9L0L2w

So there is light and also shadow. Sure, not every drummer can always play exceptionally well, has its ups and downs or can please everyone. But with all the praise that he gets from people in here, from Sting, Hanckock, Corea and others, it's really not easy for me to understand it why he is considered one of the best ever. To be honest: Drummers like Gadd have - for my taste - a better feel for the music and know when to be quiet and play simple. I never heard a thing with Gadd where I said: Ewww... too much, calm down. With VC I have this feeling more often than I want. :-(

Aaaaah.... Life is so complicated.

Right on. Interesting input. I can see what you're saying. I'm not always crazy about his superfusion stuff, maybe it's also the music that i'm not into, but i totally geek out on his pop/jazz playing.

Everyone has their own taste, my ongoing battle is the exploding heads I cause when I tell people I don't like Rush.
Old 06-09-2016, 04:44 PM
Platinum Member

Music, drumming, art... it's all very personal. Some drummers hit you *right here* more than others. It requires no explanation. If you love it, you love it; if you don't, you don't.

20 years ago, it bothered me when people couldn't see how obviously great my favorite drummer was. I'd get mad and, frankly, insulting. "How can you not see this is the greatest genius of the last 50 years??!!"

I'm so over that. I couldn't care less if someone shares my opinions about drumming or music anymore. Frankly, I'm surprised when someone does. That's like a bonus when it happens.

Vinnie was never a big influence on me. The music he played on just didn't ring my bell the way some other stuff did. But if I had to pick one drummer's skill set to have, I'd probably choose Vinnie. I have immense respect for him. I don't think anyone else can do what he does as well as he does it.

You like green, I like red. Whatever.
Old 06-09-2016, 05:52 PM
Platinum Member

So here's my little theory of what I've figured about Vinnie,, after listening to him for years- both recorded & live- in various musical settings.

He constantly plays with the time and yet at no point does he let go of the pulse.

Underneath all his Vinnie-isms there is always a solid backbeat or a quarter note of a hi- hat or a triplet or something that grooves through it all.

I don't see many of the other 'great' drummers do that or even have the ability to do that.

Sure they have monster chops and a remarkable sense of time, otherwise they wouldn't be who they are, but the physical and conceptual independence to have every tune so solidly grounded and yet make each bar as creative as you possible can, is what Vinnie's genius it to me.

Last edited by aydee; 06-09-2016 at 09:09 PM.
Old 06-09-2016, 06:28 PM
Platinum Member

Years ago (in the late 80s or early 90s) I kept hearing about Brian Blade. Then I saw him with Joni Mitchell live and I wasn't impressed. I kept hearing how great he was, so I picked up a CD that he played on. Again, I didn't hear anything special. I kept hearing how great Blade was from yet MORE people. I found and bought yet ANOTHER CD that he played on. BINGO! I could finally hear what everyone had been talking about. The guy's amazing, and I continue to find more gems.

Point being, with drummers who play so many styles with so many varied artists, sometimes you gotta keep searching for the gem that will bring it home for you.
Old 06-09-2016, 11:00 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumming sort of person View Post
... I found and bought yet ANOTHER CD that he played on. BINGO! I could finally hear what everyone had been talking about. ...

Point being, with drummers who play so many styles with so many varied artists, sometimes you gotta keep searching for the gem that will bring it home for you.
First thing is what I am hoping for, that I find THOSE songs that will open the gate to Colaiuta-Land for me.

Second part: I think you are right. Maybe I have to remain just a bit more patient.

Quote:
Who else can go from Zappa, to Faith Hill, to Megadeth, to Herbie Fuckin-Hancock and shine in every situation?
Oh, there are some drummers who can do that... Ash Soan can/must do such stuff all the time (jumping from Pop to Hard Rock to Jazz/Fusion), Karl Brazil probably too. Weckl should have all the tools to do it. Tim "Herb" Alexander probably also...
Old 06-10-2016, 02:17 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Seven Days is some nice playing. But I agree with the other poster, Vinnie doesn't ring my bell. I get that he's technically gifted, and if you enjoy listening to chops, that's fine.
Technically gifted ?

Vinnie's technique is no gift : it is the result of A LOT of practice and hard work. He was not born that way. He acquired skills by working harder than anyone who is not at the same place in their drumming as he is.

not gifted : hard working.

Last edited by Groov-E; 06-10-2016 at 04:31 AM.
Old 06-10-2016, 04:15 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
First thing is what I am hoping for, that I find THOSE songs that will open the gate to Colaiuta-Land for me.
Have you heard Gino Vannelli's "Nightwalker" record? Or Joni Mitchell's "Wild Things Run Fast" record? Both of those are excellent examples of perfect drumming in a pop context with overtones of sick dexterity.