DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 11-14-2017, 04:57 PM
Silver Member

Default Article on Neil P. from RATM Tom Commerford

Found this while searching for recent Neil news.

Background: I was always a Neil fan - he was my biggest inspiration when i was a kid and i was in a Rush tribute band. I came in to my own at 16 and studied with a Jazz teacher and went on to relearn everything but still admired him as an excellent human being, drum innovator, and writer.

In the past five years, I've read all his books and saw all his interviews so I still think the same. I found this article published this year from RATM's Tim Commerford. I'm all of a big fan of RATM, always was, but after reading this, I'm not a fan of Tim C as a person. Just my opinion, but there are other friends of mine who agree that if you are that sensitive (Tom), we need to revoke your man card.

What do you guys/girls think?

Link: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news...i_met_him.html

Last edited by JosephDAqui; 11-16-2017 at 08:00 PM. Reason: spellling
Old 11-14-2017, 05:47 PM

Default Re: Article on Neil P. from RATM Tom Commerford

Even just hearing one side of the story, I still see things from Neil's point of view. Not how I would have reacted, but I'm much more of a people person than Neil seems to be, and that's okay. Neil probably had no idea who he was.

We're talking about the same guy who wrote "I can't pretend a stranger is a long-awaited friend."

Tom, meanwhile, confronted Buzz Aldrin at a movie premier because he thinks the moon landing was faked.

Keep in mind, Rage Against the Machine is the same band that complains about the evils of capitalism and corporate America while selling millions of records and succeeding for over two decades due in large part to the same systems they claim to hate so much.

A bunch of forty and fifty-somethings singing about revolution? Gross. "Shut up, dad, you're embarrassing me!"

It's pretty hard to take anything any of them say seriously. I'm all for separating the art from the artist, but when someone chooses to politicize their music to that extent, it's difficult.

Last edited by Camshaft; 11-14-2017 at 06:30 PM.
Old 11-14-2017, 07:57 PM
Platinum Member

Well, anyone who's followed Neil's career and read any of his books knows Neil isn't a people person, and doesn't deal well with fame.

As mentioned, Neil wrote the line played on classic rock radio stations every where ""I can't pretend a stranger is a long-awaited friend."

So, what did he expect?

Is this guy's ego so big he assumed he would be the one lone exception?

And if your truly a big fan, you'd know Neil's obsession with motorcycles. The fact that this guy couldn't get his fact straight just show he's not the big fan he claims to be. He's a fan of Neil's past, perhaps, but that's about it.
Old 11-14-2017, 08:17 PM
Platinum Member

Interesting. I mean, Neil used to ride bicycles to gigs, and has written a book about a bicycle tour of Africa, so The guy wasn't wrong, just behind, lol.

I can see both sides, I guess. I don't think Neil was a dick, really, but he was obviously not super friendly, if things went down as presented.

There seems to be a lack of context here that makes me wonder about things. Geddy sends him to meet Neil, but apparently the bodyguard made no introduction? Tim says he's good friends with Taylor Hawkins, yet Taylor, who was talking with Neil, made no effort to say, "Hey Neil, this is my friend Tim?" IDK

It just sounds like a silly encounter that disappointed Tim, and I don't think there's enough info or a reason to make any kind of judgment about it.

Last edited by IDDrummer; 11-16-2017 at 05:00 PM.
Old 11-15-2017, 06:59 PM

Didn't he pretty much tell this same story in "Beyond The Lighted Stage" documentary a few years ago but with a bit less butt-hurt? Or am I thinking of someone else? Hmm, I guess I'll have to watch it again.
Old 11-15-2017, 10:43 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee-Bro View Post
Didn't he pretty much tell this same story in "Beyond The Lighted Stage" documentary a few years ago but with a bit less butt-hurt? Or am I thinking of someone else? Hmm, I guess I'll have to watch it again.
Actually, I think that was Taylor Hawkins himself who described the experience of getting the Neil "cold shoulder." I guess by now they're friends.

We've heard these stories about Neil being uncomfortable and prickly around adoring strangers to know there's some truth to it. Neil basically admits it himself, right? But I've also learned to take testimonials with a grain of salt. Some people have really different expectations than I do.

The one thing about the story that seems suspect to me is Geddy is supposedly the one who walked him over and then Taylor is in the room with them, yet nobody speaks up and tells Neil who this is? It doesn't sound right to me, but what do I know.
Old 11-16-2017, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camshaft View Post
Keep in mind, Rage Against the Machine is the same band that complains about the evils of capitalism and corporate America while selling millions of records and succeeding for over two decades due in large part to the same systems they claim to hate so much.

A bunch of forty and fifty-somethings singing about revolution? Gross. "Shut up, dad, you're embarrassing me!"

It's pretty hard to take anything any of them say seriously. I'm all for separating the art from the artist, but when someone chooses to politicize their music to that extent, it's difficult.
I've always felt that it's Tom Morello who really exemplifies what you just said to be honest.
Old 11-16-2017, 10:37 AM
Platinum Member

That'd be Tim Commerford.

I guess this is a classic example of the old saying "don't meet your heroes"
Old 11-16-2017, 08:00 PM
Gold Member

I cant imagine how many times Neil gets cornered by a rabid fan wanting to discuss bikes, drums, lyrics or just about anything. Seems like this guy just started ranting to Neil about bikes while he was in the middle of a conversation with guys he knows. Neil doesn't know him, so he should feel ok with having a guy he doesn't know in the dressing area ranting about bikes??

This dudes a cry baby.
Old 11-16-2017, 08:01 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
That'd be Tim Commerford.

I guess this is a classic example of the old saying "don't meet your heroes"
Thanks for catching that, corrected. Too bad I can't correct the thread title.

Well, Tim or Tom, I say: man card revoked :)
Old 11-16-2017, 09:39 PM
Gold Member

I'm still thinking about this one...

Tim: (runs in panting) Hey Neil! Its me...your biggest fan!! Do you ride bikes, like you did before? Cause I ride bikes? Hey, do you want to go riding with me??? I play drums too! We should be friends!!!! How about it Neil...can we be friends???

Neil: (Looking confused and probably friggin worried about the panting bike riding maniac in his changing area) Bikes? Uh no...not bikes...motorcycles.
(Neil motions to have panting, bike discussing man removed before he gets stabbed by a drum stick or something)

Tim: Neil Peart is a Dick!!!!

Last edited by incrementalg; 11-16-2017 at 09:50 PM.
Old 11-17-2017, 12:23 AM
Platinum Member

I can't even imagine what it's like to be someone that so many people want to meet and know. It even sounds exhausting. And the moment you slip up, have a bad day or mis-understand a situation, now your "misdeed" can be broadcast to anyone with an internet device for world-wide judgement. I think other spotlight celebrities have it even worse.
Old 11-17-2017, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by incrementalg View Post
I'm still thinking about this one...

Tim: (runs in panting) Hey Neil! Its me...your biggest fan!! Do you ride bikes, like you did before? Cause I ride bikes? Hey, do you want to go riding with me??? I play drums too! We should be friends!!!! How about it Neil...can we be friends???

Neil: (Looking confused and probably friggin worried about the panting bike riding maniac in his changing area) Bikes? Uh no...not bikes...motorcycles.
(Neil motions to have panting, bike discussing man removed before he gets stabbed by a drum stick or something)

Tim: Neil Peart is a Dick!!!!
Is it safe to say Tim acted like a total crybaby when he called Neil that?
Old 11-17-2017, 02:30 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee-Bro View Post
Yep. It was this same guy. If it was that bad of an encounter, I'm surprised he made it into their movie.
Old 11-17-2017, 02:58 AM
Platinum Member

After reading Neil's books, I've come to realize how out of touch he is with how the real world works. As for his playing, it was all over for him after the first Buddy Rich concert that he participated in. He never recovered from that humiliation, although he tried for a long time.
Old 11-17-2017, 07:28 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumming sort of person View Post
After reading Neil's books, I've come to realize how out of touch he is with how the real world works. As for his playing, it was all over for him after the first Buddy Rich concert that he participated in. He never recovered from that humiliation, although he tried for a long time.
I'll admit, I haven't followed Rush much after the Moving Pictures album, and I did read his book, Ghost Rider, but do you really think he was so humiliated after the Buddy rich concert? Would I produce an album of drummers Burning for Buddy if I were humiliated?

Of course, he is a rock star, so wouldn't those types of folks already be out-of-touch with how the real world works?
Old 11-17-2017, 08:25 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
do you really think he was so humiliated after the Buddy rich concert?
Most definitely. His performance was shockingly bad. In his book, he blamed it on the fact that the band played a different arrangement, or that he couldn't hear them well. Sorry, but those excuses cannot explain how terrible he is at anything but Rush.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aT9333XiR4U

Quote:
Would I produce an album of drummers Burning for Buddy if I were humiliated?
Probably not, but Neil felt that he had to redeem himself somehow. So much so, that he went so far as to fund the project and produce it. It's actually mind blowing when you think of the ego required.

Quote:
Of course, he is a rock star, so wouldn't those types of folks already be out-of-touch with how the real world works?
It depends when someone becomes a rock star I guess. In Neil's case, his penchant for expensive sports cars, expensive watches, etc., etc. just comes across as incredibly gross for someone who portrays himself to be so altruistic. It's one thing to appreciate expensive things, but to go on and on about it in his books says a lot.
Old 11-17-2017, 09:15 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Most definitely. His performance was shockingly bad. In his book, he blamed it on the fact that the band played a different arrangement, or that he couldn't hear them well. Sorry, but those excuses cannot explain how terrible he is at anything but Rush.

Probably not, but Neil felt that he had to redeem himself somehow. So much so, that he went so far as to fund the project and produce it. It's actually mind blowing when you think of the ego required.

It depends when someone becomes a rock star I guess. In Neil's case, his penchant for expensive sports cars, expensive watches, etc., etc. just comes across as incredibly gross for someone who portrays himself to be so altruistic. It's one thing to appreciate expensive things, but to go on and on about it in his books says a lot.
I guess those are all valid points. I did see the Buddy Rich concert where he played and it wasn’t very good - I just figured it was because he never played with anyone but Rush. I suppose that would suggest why he seems out of touch: his whole reality is playing music in Rush.

I can see how producing the Buddy sessions would be a redeeming act.
Old 11-17-2017, 10:46 AM
Gold Member

Never quite sure why ‘Rock Stars’ get a pass for questionable behavoir- it’s all somewhat enabling isn’t it.

So a guy also in the industry gets man handled out of a room just for speaking to someone and getting his facts wrong?

Much better actually being nice to people, we’re all the same after all and all on the same journey each going through problems in our lives.

Unfortunately some people forget that when they start to get a bit of success.
Old 11-17-2017, 12:18 PM
Pioneer Member

Hang on, so Peart was pissed off that Commerford suggested he rode bicycles to venues? lol. It's a rather amusing scene to picture, Commerford being dragged from the room ranting wildly, Brad Wilk in the corner sheepishly avoiding eye contact.
Old 11-17-2017, 03:02 PM

Quote:
I'm sorry but that just seems like an unfairly harsh assessment of character. I don't see it as "gross" if someone acquires wealth through decades of hard work and uses a portion of it to fund a couple of harmless hobbies or indulgences later in life.

And which books does Neil Peart "go on and on about" these things in? I've read Ghost Rider and Traveling Music a few times each, and a lot of his web ramblings as well, but all I can recall offhand is a couple brief asides about his cars in Traveling Music, and it seemed to come from the perspective of an enthusiast, not "LOOK AT ME, SO MANY CARS, #ballin!".

As for Tim Commerford, this is the same guy who got arrested because he climbed a setpiece at the VMAs and wouldn't come down because Limp Bizkit's music video won over Rage Against The Machine's, which disgusted his bandmates to the degree that RATM broke up a month or so afterwards. The guy's a wee bit of a jackass, and even admits in the Beyond the Lighted Stage documentary that the way he behaved, he probably would've removed himself from the room too if he was Neil Peart.
Old 11-17-2017, 04:29 PM
Gold Member

I'm gonna start a band called RANP
Old 11-17-2017, 04:35 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
That's one perspective. Another way of looking at it is this rock legend who won all these awards for his drumming acknowledged that he wasn't very good at something and spent years reinventing his playing to get better at it. It could be argued that someone with a huge ego in his position would have been oblivious to his own shortcomings.

Quote:
I've only read Ghost Rider, so I don't know what he talks about in his other books. But I didn't feel it revealed an obsession with expensive things. It's been a while since I read that book, but I recall him kind of making fun of himself for the phase he went through after the tragedy, driving a fancy sports car.

Also, I don't recall him talking up how altruistic he is. Maybe I didn't read that book. On the contrary, early in his career, he was criticized for touting the work of Ayn Rand. He kind of distanced himself from that later, but still.
Old 11-17-2017, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by incrementalg View Post
I'm gonna start a band called RANP
We all know who the bassist will be!
Old 11-17-2017, 07:10 PM
Platinum Member

I should also note that I was a huge Rush and Neil fan back in the 70s. I used to see them every New Year's eve at Maple Leaf Gardens in Toronto too. I was a fan up through Signals, and then lost interest. A Farewell to Kings is a masterpiece.

When I heard he was doing the Buddy Rich Memorial, I was looking forward to hearing/seeing the video. When I finally saw it, I was shocked and really felt bad for him.

When he suffered those horrible tragedies a few years later, I felt really bad for him again. I don't know how he managed to get over that, but I decided to buy all his books and learn more about him. Before purchasing the books, I did notice that there were a LOT of negative reviews on Amazon. After reading the books, I regretted ever having read them. You really don't want to know your heroes. I wish I hadn't read Phil Collins' or Pete Townshend's biographies either.
Old 11-17-2017, 08:20 PM
Gold Member

Quote:

Yeah, weren't those guys playing in the backup band actual members of Buddy's band(s)? You don't get any better than those guys, so blaming them ain't gonna work.
Old 11-17-2017, 11:47 PM

The playing in that Cotton Tail clip seems fine to me. Admittedly i don't know much about jazz....i guess i REALLY don't know much about jazz then, lol 😁
Old 11-17-2017, 11:52 PM

As you guys can tell from my post count, I'm new here. I joined DW because of the information and inspiration here (which there is). I can't understand the judgement being passed on NP. As a teen in Toronto, I used to hang out at local drum shops in hopes of bumping into him. It never happened, and probably never will, lol. NP has spent most of his life with Rush (thick and thin). Cars, watches ? Really guys? He's no jazz drummer, for sure. He owes none of us anything, his body of work with his band is enough. Tell me, what wrong doing is he guilty of?
Old 11-18-2017, 01:18 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:

I always took it the other way around. Sure, he can afford a few nice things, but he still prefers staying at cheap motels and taking the backroads on motor cycles when Geddy and Alex fly home on a private plane. Rush has sold 40 million albums, you don't do that without ending up with some extra money to spend here and there. So he's owned a few nice motorcycles and a gets himself a nice car now and then. Who wouldn't in that situation? At least Neil acknowledge here and there he has to pay attention to how much he spends vs how much he has.

Read Joey Krammer's book.

Neil's penchant for cars and motorcycles is barely a blip on the radar compared to Joey Krammer who goes through high end sports cars like water. Joey doesn't even consider how much anything costs because money just isn't a factor. Wreck a car? Just get a new one. Tired of the mansion? Tear it down and build a new one. He makes Neil's spending habits look like pocket change.

Then read Sammy Hagar's book, who makes Joey's excess seem comical compared to how many high end cars and just stuff Sammy owns. He makes Neil and Joey put together seem like peanuts.
Old 11-18-2017, 01:34 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumEatDrum View Post
I always took it the other way around. Sure, he can afford a few nice things, but he still prefers staying at cheap motels and taking the backroads on motor cycles when Geddy and Alex fly home on a private plane. Rush has sold 40 million albums, you don't do that without ending up with some extra money to spend here and there. So he's owned a few nice motorcycles and a gets himself a nice car now and then. Who wouldn't in that situation? At least Neil acknowledge here and there he has to pay attention to how much he spends vs how much he has.

Read Joey Krammer's book.

Neil's penchant for cars and motorcycles is barely a blip on the radar compared to Joey Krammer who goes through high end sports cars like water. Joey doesn't even consider how much anything costs because money just isn't a factor. Wreck a car? Just get a new one. Tired of the mansion? Tear it down and build a new one. He makes Neil's spending habits look like pocket change.

Then read Sammy Hagar's book, who makes Joey's excess seem comical compared to how many high end cars and just stuff Sammy owns. He makes Neil and Joey put together seem like peanuts.
Absolutely right. And, if you read his books early on when his tragedies began - he took to the roads for a very long motorcycle trip to help him heal from all this - he was in the red. He was spending more than his accounts could provide on a monthly basis. Getting back with Geddy and Alex helped him get back on track financially, otherwise, he would have had to sell a lot of stuff.

Objectively speaking, he's frugal and practical, and gives to lots of charities. '

Rock Star as portrayed in the standard media profile - I think not.
Old 11-18-2017, 02:32 AM

Quote:
I did notice that there were a LOT of negative reviews on Amazon. After reading the books, I regretted ever having read them. You really don't want to know your heroes. I wish I hadn't read Phil Collins' or Pete Townshend's biographies either.
What makes reading Neil, Phil, and Pete's biographies regrettable to read?
Old 11-18-2017, 04:30 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminCamelot View Post
What makes reading Neil, Phil, and Pete's biographies regrettable to read?
I just came away from those books feeling like Phil and Pete were immature schmucks (with regard to their views and actions pertaining to women) and that Neil was a bit of a self-righteous social misfit. Don't forget, I had very high opinions of these guys before reading their books.

Oh, I forgot about the Jackie Stewart biography. Holy cow, talk about being out of touch with the real world!

At the other end of the spectrum was the Bill Bruford biography. That was a great read and I gained even more respect for Bill. Same with Rick Wakeman's books, and Herbie Hancock, and Wayne Shorter.
Old 11-18-2017, 05:36 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I wish I hadn't read Phil Collins' or Pete Townshend's biographies either.
I enjoyed Townshed's book.

Other than you could tell where the editor slashed pages. Just as Pete was getting to something good, it would just stop and go to something else. Yo could tell there was more that editied out.

In an interview Pete touched on not understand about why some stuff was cut out.

I hope one day the unedited version is released.
Old 11-18-2017, 05:41 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
that Neil was a bit of a self-righteous social misfit. .
Well yeah, I think even Neil would admit that describes him in a nutshell.

And while it may make him not a nice person to chat with, or meet in person he's never claimed to be anything else.

I've certainly met drummers who were worse who had far less famous than Neil.
Old 11-18-2017, 11:32 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I just came away from those books feeling like Phil and Pete were immature schmucks (with regard to their views and actions pertaining to women) and that Neil was a bit of a self-righteous social misfit. Don't forget, I had very high opinions of these guys before reading their books.
I hear you, but the thing is, you were disappointed because they weren't what you wanted them to be. They aren't! They're real, imperfect human beings. I, for one, enjoy reading about their lives. I think it's an unfair expectation to have "very high opinions of them," when all we really know is that we like their music.

They're just people. People who have become famous because of their music, but in the end, they are just like everyone else. Imperfect.
Old 11-18-2017, 06:15 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDDrummer View Post
I think it's an unfair expectation to have "very high opinions of them," when all we really know is that we like their music.
I know, you're right. It's just that when you read interviews and see them on TV talking about this or that, they seem to validate those high opinions. It's only when they peel back the layers that you wish you hadn't taken a look.
Old 11-18-2017, 06:53 PM

Quote:

Oh, I forgot about the Jackie Stewart biography. Holy cow, talk about being out of touch with the real world!

At the other end of the spectrum was the Bill Bruford biography. That was a great read and I gained even more respect for Bill. Same with Rick Wakeman's books, and Herbie Hancock, and Wayne Shorter.
Interesting. I myself have high opinions about Phil, Pete, Neil, etc but I think what Neil has done in recent years regarding his status as Rush's drummer has made me question whether I should look up to Neil as much as I have been for the past two years. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to pull a Tim Commerford here but I am being completely honest about it. In regards to Bill's biography, I will definitely consider reading it in the future.
Old 11-18-2017, 06:55 PM

Quote:
And while it may make him not a nice person to chat with, or meet in person he's never claimed to be anything else.
You can say this from going to one of Neil's clinics in the early 90s if I'm not mistaken?
Old 11-18-2017, 07:23 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminCamelot View Post
You can say this from going to one of Neil's clinics in the early 90s if I'm not mistaken?
Yes, I was at one of his very rare drum clinics in 1992.

But I wasn't referring to that. I was referring to his lyrics in Limelight, as well as his numerous interview, books and such
Old 11-18-2017, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Yes, I was at one of his very rare drum clinics in 1992.

But I wasn't referring to that. I was referring to his lyrics in Limelight, as well as his numerous interview, books and such
Oh well. Regarding Limelight, what Geddy Lee said about it is pretty interesting:

"Limelight was probably more of Neil's song than a lot of the songs on that album in the sense that his feelings about being in the limelight and his difficulty with coming to grips with fame and autograph seekers and a sudden lack of privacy and sudden demands on his time ... he was having a very difficult time dealing with.

I mean we all were, but I think he was having the most difficulty of the three of us adjusting; in the sense that I think he's more sensitive to more things than Alex [Lifeson] and I are, it's difficult for him to deal with those interruptions on his personal space and his desire to be alone. Being very much a person who needs that solitude, to have someone coming up to you constantly and asking for your autograph is a major interruption in your own little world."