DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 02-01-2019, 09:08 PM

Default Gibraltar Stealth snare/tom stand

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GIBRALTAR-S....c100275.m3474

Saw this on Ebay. Looks like a really nice option for some of you.

Anyone rocking this stand??
Old 02-01-2019, 09:28 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Gibraltar Stealth snare/tom stand

I have one and it's wonderful. You can save money and just get the base, use your own snare basket and cymbal stand, the base comes with fittings for all OEM stands.

If you play offset, 1-up and/or double pedal, this is a must-have, weight and time saver for gigs and etc.
Old 02-01-2019, 09:33 PM
Gold Member

I'll be honest, I have really considered a number of times adopting a stealth rack setup but just never took the plunge.
Old 02-01-2019, 09:46 PM

I've mentioned this before in another thread, but, if TAMA decides to make something similar, it'll be the next thing that I buy.

The ease and consistency with which the snare drum and mounted tom can be set up makes buying one seem like a no-brainer to me.
Old 02-01-2019, 11:17 PM

It really looks cool and convenient. I've never owned any Gibraltar equipment, it looks darn solid.

And the fact that you don't necessarily need the entire setup, with the option mentioned of just the stealthy tom addition.

Very nice.
Old 02-01-2019, 11:37 PM

The less expensive version.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Gibraltar-G...AltI:rk:2:pf:0

This is on my list.

And check out the picture of the kit! Has the axe style cymbal that beeter has been asking about. Made me giggle
Old 02-02-2019, 01:32 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dog new Cans View Post
And check out the picture of the kit!
Coincidentally I just received the Gibraltar Stealth Side Mount Rack (on the left of the kit photo) today. This is my first piece of Gibraltar gear and I'm very pleased with it.
Using it to mount a vintage TAMA 14" X 20" gong bass drum. In the past I used two heavy duty cymbal stand bases which took up a lot of real estate and was a bit unwieldy.
The Stealth Rack is absolutely rock solid and stable for my application. I just need to surgically remove about six inches of the upright posts so I can get the gong bass drum
level with my 16" floor tom.
Old 02-02-2019, 01:44 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
The less expensive version.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Gibraltar-G...AltI:rk:2:pf:0

This is on my list.

And check out the picture of the kit! Has the axe style cymbal that beeter has been asking about. Made me giggle
That's exactly what I bought and I used my yamaha snare stand and yamaha cymbal stand/tom mounts. Such a time,space and weight saver.
Old 02-02-2019, 02:01 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephDAqui View Post
That's exactly what I bought and I used my yamaha snare stand and yamaha cymbal stand/tom mounts. Such a time,space and weight saver.
How much does the thing actually weigh? That is one thing I have been wondering about. Currently I have a bunch of Gibraltar flat base stuff and some lighter cymbal stands. I was thinking about going to the stealth rack, especially seeing as it seems to be discounted at Musicians Friend right now.
Old 02-02-2019, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Old School View Post
Coincidentally I just received the Gibraltar Stealth Side Mount Rack (on the left of the kit photo) today. This is my first piece of Gibraltar gear and I'm very pleased with it.
Using it to mount a vintage TAMA 14" X 20" gong bass drum. In the past I used two heavy duty cymbal stand bases which took up a lot of real estate and was a bit unwieldy.
The Stealth Rack is absolutely rock solid and stable for my application. I just need to surgically remove about six inches of the upright posts so I can get the gong bass drum
level with my 16" floor tom.

Niiice. I had to look up what the heck a Tama gong bass drum looked like. Man, right up my alley. Takes me back to symphonic band, we would set up our 5 marching bass drums at that angle on stands. Fun. I digress, sorry.
Rock solid is pretty much what I thought when I saw the pics. And the real estate issue--I've been lucky so far with cymbal stand legs not interfering. The double bass pedal is in the mail. So, that may change.

Last edited by Old Dog new Cans; 02-02-2019 at 02:31 AM. Reason: forgot a word
Old 02-02-2019, 07:24 AM

Quote:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/GIBRALTAR-S....c100275.m3474

Saw this on Ebay. Looks like a really nice option for some of you.

Anyone rocking this stand??
Yes. I have it and it's rock solid. It's also connected to another Stealth rack which holds my remote high hat, 3 toms and 4 cymbals. I have another Gibraltar stealth rack on the floor tom side as well which holds one tom and 6 cymbals including a 21" ride. Also rock solid. Took a lot of time, customization and tweaking to get it right, but it works great. I can post some pics later. I really like the Gibraltar rack system because of the countless options it gives you. I should add it really cuts down on the footprint and cluster that comes with a sea of boom stands. Like a grown man's lego set. :)
Old 02-02-2019, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrkPhx View Post
Yes. I have it and it's rock solid. It's also connected to another Stealth rack which holds my remote high hat, 3 toms and 4 cymbals. I have another Gibraltar stealth rack on the floor tom side as well which holds one tom and 6 cymbals including a 21" ride. Also rock solid. Took a lot of time, customization and tweaking to get it right, but it works great. I can post some pics later. I really like the Gibraltar rack system because of the countless options it gives you. I should add it really cuts down on the footprint and cluster that comes with a sea of boom stands. Like a grown man's lego set. :)
Definitely post pics when you have time. It gives me a whole new look at how to setup my kit in the future, as I build and reduce. Thanks
Old 02-02-2019, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Definitely post pics when you have time. It gives me a whole new look at how to setup my kit in the future, as I build and reduce. Thanks
Here are a few pics. As I mentioned I did a lot of customization such as using longer curved bars and taller legs with higher mounting points to add stability. The snare rack is alone worth the price of admission because it cleaned up the clutter allowing me get the snare exactly where I wanted it.
Attached Images

Old 02-02-2019, 07:00 PM
Silver Member

I love my stealth racks. I've gotten quite a bit of use out of mine, I use it with my 4 piece kit, my 6 piece kit and with a little electronic rig I use being mostly a DTX Multi 12 and a snare pad. Light and super stable. Opens up lots of floor space around your feet without trying to nest tripod bases everywhere.
And I think they look great too.
Attached Images

Old 02-02-2019, 07:28 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteknightx View Post
I love my stealth racks. I've gotten quite a bit of use out of mine, I use it with my 4 piece kit, my 6 piece kit and with a little electronic rig I use being mostly a DTX Multi 12 and a snare pad. Light and super stable. Opens up lots of floor space around your feet without trying to nest tripod bases everywhere.
And I think they look great too.
I noticed in the last picture you are using the stealth on one side with stands on the other. I wonder what is the deciding factor on if you use the side rack or not?
Old 02-02-2019, 07:48 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BertTheDrummer View Post
I noticed in the last picture you are using the stealth on one side with stands on the other. I wonder what is the deciding factor on if you use the side rack or not?
My Ayottes are suspended 14 and 16" toms, so my side rack is holding 2 toms, 3 cymbals and the cowbell. When I run the 4 piece yamaha's, its a normal legged floor tom, so it feels like overkill to bring the stealth rack for just 2 cymbal stand bases. I don't usually use the 3rd effects cymbal with that kit.
Ironically, I find it mildly irritating trying to just intertwine the floor legs with the two tripods with that setup, I don't know how other drummers put up with tons of cymbals stands all nested, and I used to do it for years. I'm just spoiled now I think.

Also worth noting, I made my own stealth side rack. I bought a normal used Gibraltar 2 leg rack with cross bar and a couple clamps, and I cut about 10" off each tube. Cost me $100 bucks, including the cost of a tube cutter from home depot.

Last edited by whiteknightx; 02-02-2019 at 07:59 PM.
Old 02-02-2019, 07:54 PM

THANK YOU for the pics! Awesome setups, both of you.

I have so much going on in my brains right now. I haven't eaten today. What the heck!! LOL
Old 02-04-2019, 07:20 PM

It's been on my want list for a while now - I've never found a single user who hasn't liked them.

I personally wouldn't get both sides as I have 2x floor toms (Mapex Saturn V), but as I offset my 2x rack toms on a cymbal stand, it makes sense to get one, just can't quite justify the outlay yet.
Old 02-04-2019, 10:01 PM
Platinum Member

I'm likely to get both sides for my kit at some point. In terms of the reduced footprint, it just makes sense, and setup is likely much simpler too.

For those that have them, what's your method for moving them in the car? Do you rotate the feet, remove stand tops, remove cross beams, anything?
Old 02-04-2019, 10:04 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alparrott View Post
I'm likely to get both sides for my kit at some point. In terms of the reduced footprint, it just makes sense, and setup is likely much simpler too.

For those that have them, what's your method for moving them in the car? Do you rotate the feet, remove stand tops, remove cross beams, anything?
I rotate the legs 90 degrees so they sit flat. All the assorted arms go in my hardware bag. I just have a Mazda 3 hatchback, so space is relatively tight.
Old 02-04-2019, 10:07 PM
Platinum Member

If playing a simple 4 piece and one up the foot doesn't interfere with a double kick pedal?
Old 02-04-2019, 10:25 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetAgrippa View Post
If playing a simple 4 piece and one up the foot doesn't interfere with a double kick pedal?
I think it is designed so the bar for the 2nd foot pedal goes under the bend in the stand.
Old 02-04-2019, 10:45 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
I think it is designed so the bar for the 2nd foot pedal goes under the bend in the stand.
yes, this is exactly true.
I don't use my double pedal much, but there is lots of space under there and around your feet without a traditional snare stand tripod.
Old 02-05-2019, 01:10 AM
Platinum Member

I love Gibraltar hardware, but now that I am retired, I must watch my pennies more. I do not have the stealth rack because I cannot justify the expense, and I am not sure how easy it is to transport. Taking it all apart seems to be defeating the purpose. Peace and goodwill.
Old 02-05-2019, 01:19 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumolator View Post
I love Gibraltar hardware, but now that I am retired, I must watch my pennies more. I do not have the stealth rack because I cannot justify the expense, and I am not sure how easy it is to transport. Taking it all apart seems to be defeating the purpose. Peace and goodwill.
I think it really probably depends on your setup. If you are playing the types of gigs where you have as much time as you want to setup and/or are just playing a 4 piece with hi-hat, a crash, and a ride with flat based stands, you probably wouldn't see any benefit especially if you like running your tom off your bass drum.

I think where you see the benefit is in the 15 minute change over scenarios, or when you start needing to run multiple stands and what not.
Old 02-05-2019, 05:05 PM
Silver Member

here's how I transport the racks. They don't take much space at all in the back of my car. And a rear view of my kit.
Attached Images

Old 02-05-2019, 08:35 PM

Quote:
here's how I transport the racks. They don't take much space at all in the back of my car. And a rear view of my kit.
Awesome! I'm so glad I started this thread. It is going to lead into my build that I'm going to start. Thanks for the pics.
Old 02-09-2019, 01:03 PM
Gold Member

I ended up placing an order for the main stealth rack. Turns out none of my cymbal stands are really robust enough to support two toms hanging off of it. The stealth rack with a double tom mount ended up being cheaper than a double tom stand from DW, and not much more than some of the other options for double tom stands.

Not sure if I'll go with the side rack in the future or not. I use a floor tom and don't do a whole ton of cymbals so I'll will see how I like the main rack first but I might just stay with cymbal stands for that side.

I'll try and get some pictures once I get the rack in and setup.
Old 02-09-2019, 06:39 PM

Quote:
I ended up placing an order for the main stealth rack. Turns out none of my cymbal stands are really robust enough to support two toms hanging off of it. The stealth rack with a double tom mount ended up being cheaper than a double tom stand from DW, and not much more than some of the other options for double tom stands.

Not sure if I'll go with the side rack in the future or not. I use a floor tom and don't do a whole ton of cymbals so I'll will see how I like the main rack first but I might just stay with cymbal stands for that side.

I think they look a great purchase. Good quality, definitely post up pics. They will be the last piece to my puzzle down the road a ways.
Old 02-10-2019, 06:00 AM

Quote:

You will really like it especially if you ever decide to expand or just change your kit around. I'm a Pearl guy, but I I really like the Gibraltar rack system because they offer so many different parts like the bare curved and straight tubing you can cut to whatever size you need. And their prices are good. Make sure you use the memory locks on the bars.
Old 02-10-2019, 01:46 PM
Silver Member

Am toying with the idea of a pair of these. Would make change over far quicker. I am currently using two set ups, One with a DW rack & the other with stands. This solution would suit both :)
Old 02-10-2019, 03:26 PM
Platinum Member

I have been recently looking at these as well. I am in an incredibly small space, and tripods become a mess if I wanna add something. I prefer a rack to stands anyways. I just wish it wasn't so pricey. Two stealth racks and enough clamps for everything would be great. It's just more economical for me to buy stands and deal with the tripod mess.
Old 02-10-2019, 03:34 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrInsanePolack View Post
I have been recently looking at these as well. I am in an incredibly small space, and tripods become a mess if I wanna add something. I prefer a rack to stands anyways. I just wish it wasn't so pricey. Two stealth racks and enough clamps for everything would be great. It's just more economical for me to buy stands and deal with the tripod mess.
I thought that it was a pretty good price, $135 (Amazon and MusiciansFriend both had this price) for the stealth rack main side without the tom mount or snare basket. $123.55 for the other side. Get enough stands and clamps and stuff it starts to add up real quick too.

I think what made the decision for me is that if you already have mounts, stands, and snare stand you can just use what you got.

Edit: Slightly edited and added some thoughts from the original reply.

Last edited by BertTheDrummer; 02-10-2019 at 04:22 PM.
Old 02-10-2019, 03:57 PM

Quote:
I didn't think it was that bad, $135 (Amazon and MusiciansFriend both had this price) for the stealth rack main side without the tom mount or snare basket. $123.55 for the other side. Get enough stands and clamps and stuff it starts to add up real quick too.

I think what made the decision for me is that if you already have mounts, stands, and snare stand you can just use what you got.

What does two decent stands cost? 60-70 each maybe?--probably more. I think I'm definitely going to at least get the setup with the curved bar. You're also paying for some additional space, fewer feet around, etc. A good time and space saver.
Old 02-11-2019, 04:03 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I thought that it was a pretty good price, $135 (Amazon and MusiciansFriend both had this price) for the stealth rack main side without the tom mount or snare basket. $123.55 for the other side. Get enough stands and clamps and stuff it starts to add up real quick too.

I do like them, and you're right the initial cost isn't too bad. But I would need 2 stealth racks and 7 clamps to do it right. That adds up quick.
Old 02-11-2019, 05:58 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Have almost the same configuration. Have just ordered both & should arrive by Friday :)
Old 02-12-2019, 01:53 AM
Gold Member

I got my Stealth rack in today. I ended up using the basket from my old pearl snare stand for the snare, and the double tom post from Gibraltar for the toms.

So far I like it, I think the toms are actually able to get closer to me than when I had them mounted off a cymbal stand and everything is certainly more solid.

I need to probably do some fine tuning on exact placement but so far it is working pretty well. I think for now I'll probably stick with the stands for my ride and 2nd crash, though I might consider the side rack sometime later.
Attached Images

Old 02-12-2019, 02:00 AM

Very nice! Love that kit.

It really is stealthy isn't it. :D
Old 02-15-2019, 07:35 PM
Silver Member

Mine arrived today :) Not going to get chance to set them up though as we have a ferry to catch at 3am............. Will set them up next week now :)

Untitled by Kevin Frost, on Flickr
Untitled by Kevin Frost, on Flickr
Old 02-15-2019, 07:39 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosticles View Post
Mine arrived today :) Not going to get chance to set them up though as we have a ferry to catch at 3am............. Will set them up next week now :)
Congrats. Looks good. I think that unless I increase the number of cymbals I play with, I'll probably just stick to using stands on the right hand side. I think the rack might actually get in the way a little bit.