DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming But Music Related

Old 02-05-2019, 10:08 PM
Platinum Member

Default Cut the cable?

Just curious if any of you have cut the cable to your service provider? Are any of you steaming and what service are you using Youtube TV, Hulu, etc? Just curious, thinking getting rid of the cable bill.
Old 02-05-2019, 10:17 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Cut the cable?

I cut the cable about five years ago. It was way easier to tap into shows, when Kodi was up and running. You could watch just about anything. Now limited to Netflix and Amazon at my house. Not a big deal. Between those two and local channels, I have no less crappy programming to watch than before. The big benefit is, I now pay far less for crappy programming.

One thing to consider though, Cable companies have wised up and limiting data usage, so make sure you have enough and won't get penalized for streaming. That's their latest trick that has ticked me off! I haven't hit my limit, but have had to be more careful about people turning on Netflix for background noise.
Old 02-05-2019, 10:52 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bsticks View Post
Just curious if any of you have cut the cable to your service provider? Are any of you steaming and what service are you using Youtube TV, Hulu, etc? Just curious, thinking getting rid of the cable bill.
Unfortunately, you canít cut it completely, unless you want to get an HD antenna and go completely free, but you are stuck with just those local stations.
I negotiated with DirecTV and got them to give me basic service for $57 a month for two years. Iím not into the streaming services because I want live TV for news and stuff, and after considering the hassle and semi-bills of other services, I can afford the $57 a month.
I tell everyone to just demand basic service at rock bottom prices. And if that means Iím changing providers every two years, thatís not so bad.
Old 02-05-2019, 11:22 PM

Haven't had cable TV in over 25 years.

News I get from the internet.

I got Netflix about 7 years ago, and, between that and renting movies off of the Sony network, that's all I need for entertainment.
Old 02-05-2019, 11:56 PM
Gold Member

Yes, recently. Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, and Youtube keep me tube tied.
Old 02-05-2019, 11:57 PM
Silver Member

Went to internet only about a year ago. Saving $100+ a mo. Biught a $40 HD antennae of Amazon, hung it up in the attic. Now I the crap for free instead of paying for it. Lol.

All it took wasn an epiphany that I really don't watch TV and when I did it was only to fill an hour or two of down time. It didn't matter whether it was reruns of Frazier or a movie on TCM. When you want a snack not much difference between a Twinkie and a bag of chips is there?

Amazon Prime, Netflix, and Youtube, offer enough serious programming to fill the need for more fortifying and educational stuff so my needs are filled in that area.

Cut it....
Old 02-06-2019, 12:06 AM
Platinum Member

No cable here. Don't need 100+ channels to not watch anything on, 12 is fine. No Hulu, Netflix, nothing. We have about 300 movies now, that will keep climbing. I've thought about Netflix for my wife, but we don't have internet, only phones. Guess I could hot spot it, but why bother? Anything we want to watch will be on DVD soon enough.

For TV we have a $50 attic antenna. It works great.
Old 02-06-2019, 12:15 AM
Gold Member

We have an antenna for our living room and master bedroom. Since we live in a major metro area we actually get quite all our local stuff and a number of misc channels as well. We also have Netflix and Amazon Prime.
Old 02-06-2019, 12:16 AM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

I cut my satellite about 7 or 8 years ago for two reasons. First, there was very little that I was watching, I think Mythbusters was about it. Hardly worth the (then) $54/mo. Second, and perhaps only the older members here will remember, cable TV was subscription programming. The subscribers paid for it. There were no sponsors, and there were no commercials. Sadly, commercials did start creeping in. But, I can see those for free, I don't need to pay for it! So I stopped.

I don't miss it a bit. I have line of sight to the cluster of broadcast antenna, so my HD reception is excellent and relatively uncompressed. And there are close to 200 channels in L.A. so I'm never at a loss for something to watch. My wife got Netflix, but rarely watches it.

bermuda
Old 02-06-2019, 12:53 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermuda View Post
Second, and perhaps only the older members here will remember, cable TV was subscription programming. The subscribers paid for it. There were no sponsors, and there were no commercials. Sadly, commercials did start creeping in. But, I can see those for free, I don't need to pay for it! So I stopped.
So true and probably the most annoying part. You can watch free movies on Vudu and the Roku channel and Crackle with commercials. Interestingly, far less commercials than if you watch the same move over the air. I don't pay for those channels, so no complaints and they have decent movies.
Old 02-06-2019, 01:15 AM

I've been with Hulu for about a year and 1/2. I was paying close to $130/month with Dish. Couldn't take it anymore. Hulu just raised it's prices a bit, I'm still paying less than $60. That includes live TV, HBO, on demand, it didn't start great. I almost quit after a few months. But I stayed with it. What is that, $840 in savings, averagely speaking for a year.

I've had Netflix and Amazon Prime for a while now. Good stuff
Old 02-06-2019, 01:36 AM
Platinum Member

I haven't had cable for the past 7 years or so since my wife and I moved in together. Between Youtube and Netflix we're plenty entertained. I need to set up a practice pad and music stand by the couch so I can woodshed while I'm watching something.

If we're going to watch a cable show or game, we'll go out or to a friend's house to watch. Usually these turn into a group thing like football games or Game of Thrones, we'll BBQ and bring beers, make a day of it.

Mah Rogers
Snares
Old 02-06-2019, 03:09 AM

Yes. Over two years ago I stopped my Time Warner cable service and do not miss it one bit! I have Netflix, Amazon Prime and HBO.
Old 02-06-2019, 04:54 AM
Silver Member

We cut the cord when we moved last summer and are finally getting to where I wanted to be for a long while. We have had Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime for years, and when we moved I managed to convince my wife that DirecTV was not worth the almost $200(!!!) she was paying each month (she had the service before we got married and had all the bells and whistles like all the movie channels). We moved and she told AT&T to cancel the service. I signed us up for just high-speed internet access from our local cable company.

After we moved, I tried to stay with just the big three streaming services (Netflix, Hulu, Prime) but she wanted some sort of live TV. We did a month or two each of Sling and Hulu Live, and ended up with DirecTV Now (because it had AMC, BBC, and CBS).

That lasted a few months until January when she asked how much DTVNow was and I said it was $60 per month (we had a deal on HBO for the first year). She came to the realization that we weren't watching live TV at all and the shows that she was watching from the major networks are all on Hulu the day after they air on TV. She agreed that we didn't need to spend the $60 on DTVNow so I set it not to renew at the end of the month.

She does want to watch Survivor, so I ended up doing a trial of CBS All Access and will probably just pay for a year of that up front for the same price as one month of DTVNow. So we will end up with just Netflix (free with T-Mobile), Hulu, Prime, and CBS.
Old 02-06-2019, 05:30 AM
Platinum Member

I got rid of cable TV about 5 years ago. At the office the lady asked me why I was turning in the box? My answer was " sixty channels of nothing to watch."
I still have high speed internet through the cable company but my bill is half of what it would be. I just mainly get on this website, listen to music and pay my bills online. Who's the President?
Old 02-06-2019, 06:17 AM
Platinum Member

My wife and I just have internet and use PlayStation Vue through ROKU and watch movies on Amazon and Netflix. There is little I enjoy on the tube anymore-except informative or these new drone aerial panorama of everywhere are just incredible. If I watch too much garbage TV it make me feel more "stupid". I'm amazed how much TV seems purposefully and intentionally trying to tick people off-or is it just me LOL.
Old 02-06-2019, 11:53 AM
Administrator - Mayor

I pay $54. per month for internet, and I have an HD antenna for about 25 local channels and have Apple TV for streaming everything else I want. Amazon Prime my son gifts me for Christmas and Youtube get most of my attention.
Old 02-06-2019, 12:50 PM
Platinum Member

A lot more than I expected. Thanks for the replies. I signed up for Youtube TV. It's $40.00 per month but it includes local channels as well as the sports channels that my wife and I enjoy. Celtics, Bruins, Patriots and Red Sox. Currently paying $240 a month for a bunch of nothing. My T-Mobile covers my Netflix prescription and we stream Amazon Prime. My high speed internet will run $50.00 so about a $150.00 per month savings.
https://tv.youtube.com/
Old 02-06-2019, 07:21 PM
Platinum Member

I don't watch TV, but the lady of the house does. We got the youtube TV streaming live stuff. It has all the important channels plus a few of the local ones.

Personally, I just don't have patience for how much time you have to spend watching commercials. I'm already bored of the show by the time it comes back on.

I'll do flix or hulu or whatever if I want to watch something.

Even with all the different streaming services I pay for, I'm saving huge money compared to Comcast's BS. Man I hate them.
Old 02-06-2019, 08:29 PM
Silver Member

Cut the cable and Dish over 10 years ago. Now it's interweb for news, NetFlix and YouTube for entertainment and over-the-air broadcast as a back-up. I don't use an HD antenna - I've got an old VHF/UHF antenna (like you used to see on a mast or rooftop when you were a kid) that I popped open in the attic. I run the RG6 cable from the antenna to the TV through an old RF amplifier like you could buy at Radio Shack back in the day. Folks have told me a VHF/UHF antenna won't work for broadcast HDTV, but I'm here to tell ya it works just fine and it doesn't seem to be uni-directional.

If you're considering broadcast TV, you can get an idea of the signals in your locale at https://www.fcc.gov/media/engineering/dtvmaps. It seems to be realistic. Keep in mind that most of the *channels* each have 2 to 4 *sub-channels*, so there's a lot more TV junk than you'd expect. Some of the weak channels seem dependent on the amount of traffic on the airwaves, e.g., some channels are only present early or late in the day. In Lansing, MI, I can watch Kalamazoo TV before sun-up, but after daybreak, it's pretty much gone.
Old 02-06-2019, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke View Post
If you're considering broadcast TV, you can get an idea of the signals in your locale at https://www.fcc.gov/media/engineering/dtvmaps. It seems to be realistic. Keep in mind that most of the *channels* each have 2 to 4 *sub-channels*, so there's a lot more TV junk than you'd expect. Some of the weak channels seem dependent on the amount of traffic on the airwaves, e.g., some channels are only present early or late in the day. In Lansing, MI, I can watch Kalamazoo TV before sun-up, but after daybreak, it's pretty much gone.
According to that site, there are 11 channels I could realistically get, none of which my wife watches (she's retired and stays at home). If I cut the cable, I'd probably be on the 11:00 o'clock news because I'd have to shoot her....(j/k folks j/k!). But I really do hate paying that monthly cable bill. Right now, it's about $185 for 230+ channels of garbage.

We're too far out in the sticks to get many OTA channels. We had DISH for a few years, but that REALLY sucked! Every time it fogged we lost signal, or if a thunder storm came through, a box burned out. So far, we've really had good service with Comcast.

Is there a site anywhere that shows what streaming services carry?
Old 02-06-2019, 09:03 PM
Platinum Member

I haven't had cable since 2002, and haven't missed it. Until a few years ago we just watched movies on DVD or over-the-air TV; now we have Hulu and Roku with all its content channels. So there's always something to watch, and we pay less between internet and streaming service subscriptions (about $30-$40 less per month) than we would just for a basic cable plus internet package.
Old 02-07-2019, 04:40 AM
Silver Member

Just cut the cord about a month ago. Using a ROKU 4K stick, while using Charter Spectrum Choice TV for $30/ month. Ya still need Internet.

Charter provides all the local channels + some extras. They let you choose 10 additional sub-prime channels. This with Netflix and Prime, is more than enough.

Then... there is this whole other growing world of niche channels. Many free. And I can only see this growing exponentially. Which could bring more ridiculousness.

Anyway, Iím very happy to break from cable/satellite.
Old 02-07-2019, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GruntersDad View Post
I pay $54. per month for internet, and I have an HD antenna for about 25 local channels and have Apple TV for streaming everything else I want. Amazon Prime my son gifts me for Christmas and Youtube get most of my attention.
I tried a very cheap HD antenna. I picked up about 8-10 stations. But all I could pick up were children's shows, Spanish speaking shows. . .I'm not a kid nor can I speak Spanish. Maybe I should spend a little more and give it a try again.
Old 02-08-2019, 09:04 PM
Platinum Member

I'm the only one here paying for streaming TV service?

It was a no-brain-er for me. 35 a month. Significantly less for more channels than comcast offers at their bottom tier, which is literally designed to be unpalatable.
Old 02-08-2019, 09:15 PM
Platinum Member

So I start all this chat and guess what, I'm still with cable? My wife has certain shows she watches we have an in-law apt with kids living there so I switched over to Verizon Fios. After considering going to Youtube TV (which I think is my next move) I would need to update my older Roku devices, increase the internet speed and we also still have a landline because our cell service is not good due to being at the bottom of a hill.

So it would have cost me over $100.00 to upgrade devices plus the $40.00 per month for Youtube TV and another $80.00 for high speed internet and I'm at $120.00 By switching carriers I was able to lock in a 2 year plan with 3 hi def boxes, 1GIG internet, landline, keep same email addresses and 280 channels for $160.00 and my in-laws will pay half. (hopefully) and happy wife. Means more drums for me :-)
Old 02-08-2019, 09:19 PM
Administrator - Mayor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dog new Cans View Post
I tried a very cheap HD antenna. I picked up about 8-10 stations. But all I could pick up were children's shows, Spanish speaking shows. . .I'm not a kid nor can I speak Spanish. Maybe I should spend a little more and give it a try again.
If you can, spend a tad more, and put an outdoor antenna up. Back to the future. That's my next move.
Old 02-08-2019, 09:22 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dog new Cans View Post
You want something like this. It is far superior to those little black flat antennas. And you can hide it in your attic. About $40-$50 at Walmart.
Attached Images

Old 02-08-2019, 09:53 PM
Silver Member

I'm not an endorsee for this guy ;-), but he seems to know his stuff. Plus, he's from Michigan!!

http://dennysantennaservice.com/bett...eception-.html

Remember, the antenna poles have to be longer than the signal wavelength to receive a signal. The postage-stamp indoor antennae try to accomplish the same thing with long, skinny coils of wire. If you can find one of those old roof-top VHF antennae and pop it open in your attic, you're golden! Might not be so easy now-a-days...
Old 02-08-2019, 09:57 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Watso View Post
I'm the only one here paying for streaming TV service?

It was a no-brain-er for me. 35 a month. Significantly less for more channels than comcast offers at their bottom tier, which is literally designed to be unpalatable.
I tried Sling for bit, it seemed to not be worth the hassle.
Old 02-08-2019, 10:01 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BertTheDrummer View Post
I tried Sling for bit, it seemed to not be worth the hassle.
Yea, sling isn't as good. Try the youtube TV thing.
Old 02-09-2019, 04:02 AM
Platinum Member

My fancy hearing aids have a built in bluetooth so when I want to hear the news I just walk on my deck so I can tune in next door and at least listen to the neighbor Smart Tv and catch the news. Just kidding but gosh if I can listen on any bluetooth device I wonder if I can-then can people listen to me????I've had some weird things happen with the hearing aids thought it interference? I use them to connect to TV and it offers me handsfree phone-listen and talk through aids at like pretty good distance from phone (I can be in HomeDepot and phone in truck and still talk). I can buy an antenna like posted and wear on my head for better reception LOL
Old 02-09-2019, 04:31 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetAgrippa View Post
My fancy hearing aids have a built in bluetooth so when I want to hear the news I just walk on my deck so I can tune in next door and at least listen to the neighbor Smart Tv and catch the news.
Howís the hearing aids for drumming? My uncle has hearing aids and he plays, but for some reason I never thought to ask...
Old 02-09-2019, 04:39 AM
Platinum Member

Well if you turn the volume all the way down it acts like a nice filter so I can blast the music and play drums and it isn't too loud. I usually play music blasting through speakers in basement but just realized I can play music through laptop and connect to bluetooth so listen through hearing aids-dang I've got to try that. thanks for inquiring can't believe I haven't thought of that-my stereo doesn't have a bluetooth which was my first thought but I won't need it. But when listening to the tube through aids which was on second floor of old house I could be outside by pool some 60 foot away and still fine reception.

Last edited by GetAgrippa; 02-09-2019 at 04:58 AM.
Old 02-09-2019, 05:37 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetAgrippa View Post
My fancy hearing aids have a built in bluetooth so when I want to hear the news I just walk on my deck so I can tune in next door and at least listen to the neighbor Smart Tv and catch the news. Just kidding but gosh if I can listen on any bluetooth device I wonder if I can-then can people listen to me????I've had some weird things happen with the hearing aids thought it interference? I use them to connect to TV and it offers me handsfree phone-listen and talk through aids at like pretty good distance from phone (I can be in HomeDepot and phone in truck and still talk). I can buy an antenna like posted and wear on my head for better reception LOL
Bluetooth pairing typically requires access to both devices to at a minimum confirm the connection. Sorry. =(
Old 02-09-2019, 04:27 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Watso View Post
Bluetooth pairing typically requires access to both devices to at a minimum confirm the connection. Sorry. =(
Yeah after I posted I remembered I have to link to new device. It was late Margaritas were involved.
Old 02-10-2019, 07:12 PM
Platinum Member

Cell phone and internet only since 2002.
Old 02-10-2019, 08:17 PM
Platinum Member

It's amazing how expensive the technology now. I remember years ago a friend I use to visit had one of those lineman phones so he would walk to side of house and hook up for free to make calls, then he was stealing his neighbors cable too. Wasn't the most honest of people but that was quite common back in the day. I remember when WIFI coming out I had an issue suddenly service slowing down with my internet then discovered it wasn't protected so my neighbors were hijacking riding on me slowing me down.