Portable Digital Recorders

I am going to take the plunge and get the H2.

Can I ask which mic settings do you each record using?

Front 90°
or
Rear 120°
or
Full 360°

Also, which format do you use?
24bit/96kHz linear PCM WAV files or do you just use 128kbps for MP3s or even perhaps something in-between?

Can anyone also tell me the recording times in these formats on a 1GB SD memory card?

Finally, is the advertised 4 hours of battery life accurate?

Thanks in advance.

The quoted battery time is very optomistic. Run it on the mains adaptor as much as you can.

Front 90 degrees is fine for most band applications unless you're recording close up then use the 120 degree rear.

The 360 degree feature is useless unless you're going to form a circle and purposly want that effect.

Keep the recording level quite low for amplified band applications then normalise the recording later via the menue.

Record in WAV. You can transfer to CD directly from a WAV file and the quality is better than the CD can handle.

Convert to mp3 in whatever bit rate is appropriate for the application. 256Kbps is as good as you need to go (near CD quality).

Can't advise you on the recording times as I use a 4GB card.

Enjoy.

My H4 will use up to a 2GB card so be sure before you invest in a 4GB card.

My H4 will use up to a 2GB card so be sure before you invest in a 4GB card.

Good advice. Maybe there are variations in different markets. I've just checked my H2 and it's got it's 4GB card installed & working fine. The card was offered as a package with the H2 when I bought it about 9 minths ago. Funny thing is, they sent the stock 1GB card with it as well!

Good advice. Maybe there are variations in different markets. I've just checked my H2 and it's got it's 4GB card installed & working fine. The card was offered as a package with the H2 when I bought it about 9 minths ago. Funny thing is, they sent the stock 1GB card with it as well!
It is normally supplied with a 512mb card, but some seem to offer either a 1GB or 4GB card.

KIS, can I ask where you got yours and for how much?
Looking at one with a free 4GB SDHC, Mini Tripod & Jacket for £159 (just checking it is a UK model)

It is normally supplied with a 512mb card, but some seem to offer either a 1GB or 4GB card.

KIS, can I ask where you got yours and for how much?
Looking at one with a free 4GB SDHC, Mini Tripod & Jacket for £159 (just checking it is a UK model)

I take it you're based in the UK? I can't remember where I bought mine from but I think I paid about the same as you've quoted above. I didn't get the jacket though! I think the jacket's worth getting as the H2 case is quite cheap. Most important thing I think is to buy from somewhere you're confident you can return the product if it's faulty. Good luck.

I take it you're based in the UK? I can't remember where I bought mine from but I think I paid about the same as you've quoted above. I didn't get the jacket though! I think the jacket's worth getting as the H2 case is quite cheap. Most important thing I think is to buy from somewhere you're confident you can return the product if it's faulty. Good luck.
Yes, UK based.
Bought a UK spec one today for £155 with the 3 bonus items and free shipping, so happy with that.

Thanks for your help guys

Yes, UK based.
Bought a UK spec one today for £155 with the 3 bonus items and free shipping, so happy with that.

Thanks for your help guys
I just send my H2 Zoom back to the shop a couple of days ago. I'd emailed them about it and they said they'd either repair or replace it. I hope you have better luck with it than I did. When it was working, it was great.

Thanks Pollyanna

Mine arrived today, not even 24 hours after ordering it. Came with a 1GB free 4GB card as
well as the free case and Tripod, so very happy.

Will sit down with it tonight for a quick test.

Back