Neil Peart

Hey Dr. Hook. How are ya? Wow. I can really appreciate your passion for Neil Peart, as I am also a HUGE fan of his. But let me put it in prespective what you say here. A little more of a realistic take on NP:

1.) No. He's not the "greatest" of all time. Neither technically or creatively. Great as he is, that would certaintly be more describing Buddy Rich.

2.)No. He hasn't influenced more than Buddy or Bonham. Though he definitely has influenced many, many drummers. Me included.

3.)No. He hasn't lost "perfection" over the years. Don't confuse adaption with ability. And his creativity has changed, not lessened. I believe his family comes first, especially after what happened to him about 10 years ago(loss of his daughter and wife in less than a year). And his music is 2nd on his list of importance. It IS his bread and butter, ya know. His drumming and his song writing. As far as "somethings gotta give"... well... He still gives 100% of himself in whatever he is involved in. And soon you'll be seeing him in the movies, also. So stay tuned...

4.)Let's not compare Neil to the drummers of today. Adler and Barker are very accomplished in what they do with their style and ability. They are different in almost every way than NP. And, by the way, not that it's a big deal, but Neil Peart is 54 yrs. old, not 55. He'll turn 55 yrs. old on Sept. 12, 2007.

5.)Yes. Neil Peart has definitely earned the title "The Professor". Perfect name for his ability at drumming and writing.

6.)Yes. Subdivisions is a fantastic song. One of my all-time-favorite Rush songs. But to say it's the best song to play along with ever...well, you may get some to disagree with you on that.

Anyway, it sounds like your a true NP fan, so that would make ME a Dr. Hook fan. Thanks for your post about NP... Play On!

I am also a Neil fan. My 2nd biggest influence definatly. I wanted to address a couple of things that you put into "Persrective" for Dr. Hook;
The first thing he said is "IMO". In his oppinion Neil is the greatest. How can you say his oppinion is wrong? Putting in "IMO" tells me he does not expect everyone to agree w/him.
The next one is; How do you know Neil hasnt influenced more people then Buddy, or Bonham? Bonham was w/Zepp for just over a decade. Neil has been w/Rush for over three decades. You do the math.
Anyway, Its all oppinion when you get right down to it. Nothing personal.

Off topic, but I don't know where else to put this....

I was answering another NP question for his snare drums and ran across this site, and wanted to share it!

http://www.andrewolson.com/Neil_Peart/neil_drumkits.htm

What I found interesting was this.....remember back for Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures when NP used Evans "Looking Glass" heads on the top and Hydraulic Blues on the bottom?! Practically unheard of today...but....

Browse the site,...it's great.....

Neil Peart-The Analog Kid

I'm listening to The Analog Kid from Signals right now. I can't believe how great a track it is to this day. It's not one of Rush's more popular songs nor is it a real Peart fill showcase, but I think it's the best straight forward track he ever did. On this (and on all of Signals for that matter) you can really hear him "digging-in and smacking the snare.

Thoughts? Opinions?

Re: Neil Peart-The Analog Kid

Hey Pocketman! Yea, that drum track was unique for Neil back then. And "Signals" is one of those albums that you can pick up more and more of his amazing fills and intricate time changes, each time you listen to it...EVEN to this day! I personally can't get enough of "Subdivisions" and "The Weapon". That bass foot in "The Weapon" is sick. I love how it's just constant throughout the entire song...never wavering! And "Subdivisions" is just a fantastic example of Neil Pearts' legendary perfection...Play On! ;-)

Hey! Please stop taking off/removing certain threads for NO apparant reason. Why does this continue to happen? It's not fair to anyone that may want to contribute an important or inspiring post. And this thread of, Pocketmans' creation, deserves better than that! Thank You...Play On!

Hey! Please stop taking off/removing certain threads for NO apparant reason. Why does this continue to happen? It's not fair to anyone that may want to contribute an important or inspiring post. And this thread of, Pocketmans' creation, deserves better than that! Thank You...Play On!

Thanks MD. I am perfectly aware that Neil has probably more threads about him than any other drummer. My point in beginning this thread was to point out that I find Neil's straight ahead playing as inspirational as his technical, odd time, fill free-for-all's.

Thanks MD. I am perfectly aware that Neil has probably more threads about him than any other drummer. My point in beginning this thread was to point out that I find Neil's straight ahead playing as inspirational as his technical, odd time, fill free-for-all's.

You're welcome, Pocketman! I just feel that whoever keeps stopping certain threads is biased to who or what "they" like. It's a strange phenomenon that continues to happen to the detriment of interesting and inspiring threads/posts...Play On!

I'm listening to The Analog Kid from Signals right now. I can't believe how great a track it is to this day. It's not one of Rush's more popular songs nor is it a real Peart fill showcase, but I think it's the best straight forward track he ever did. On this (and on all of Signals for that matter) you can really hear him "digging-in and smacking the snare.

Thoughts? Opinions?

I actually think thats some of Alex's best guitar work...some of my friends who aren't Rush fans even like that one....

Signals was a real transition album and I'm kinda torn between liking it...some songs have cool riffs in them but some parts just don't work...like on Digital Man the shuffle groove and the little reggae riff and solo breakdown are sweet but the hook is horrible and the keys don't fit....

IMO - Chemistry is the best cut on there .....transitions are smooth and all the grooves work well together....and I like the lyrics too....

I actually dig the synth stuff (which alot of true fans don't) its just Signals sounded like an experiment to me....much more into Power Windows and Hold Your Fire....better song structure and balance between keys and guitar..

Good point about the snare...he's really crackin it....

Neil Peart gives a drum lesson

Hmm. Looks like nobody's posted Neil on Rick Mercer's Monday Report yet. For those who don't know, Mercer is a well-known Canadian political satirist. He had Neil give him a drum lesson a couple of months ago.

Check it out under "Week of November 7, 2006" half way down this page:

http://www.cbc.ca/mercerreport/backissues.php

Re: Neil Peart gives a drum lesson

Oh yeah i saw this a while ago on youtube. Its pretty cool lol.

Neil is the drummer who has inpired me mostly. I still remember when I listened La VIlla Strangiato first time, and after that "invented:D" playing 16th and 32th on hi-hat. To some people: he is definetly not one of the best techniqual players. But in my eyes, he has the best drum solos. Anatomy of drumsolo! First time when I saw it on youtube, I couldn't belive my eyes! He makes it so logical and easy to understand, some of my friends who doesn't know nothing about music, love it. I soon start to learn some of Rush songs. Amazing band, theire work, creativity. Awesome drummer!

For those Peart fans and rush fans, check out the new single at their web site http://www.rush.com/

Neil incorporated some nice double bass work in this song as well as some sweet ride work. Otherwise it seems like a pretty laid back song for him, but it flows with what the song calls for in my opinion.

What does anyone think of Snakes and Arrows...?

Well...it has A LOT more acoustic guitar in it that I would have expected, but I like the fact that they stayed away from the keyboards, for the most part. The muscianship is OUTSTANDING, as usual, with my favorite songs being...The Main Monkey Business, Malignant Narcissisim, The Way The Wind Blows, The Larger Bowl, Good News First and, We Hold On.

But the entire recording is WELL worth listening to, and have the MVI DVD on order, which comes out on June 5th! And the show @ Nissan Pavillion on June 23rd will be the "icing on the cake"...Play On! ;-)

Oh.... And as far as Neils' playing on S & A, well...the guy just drops your jaw!! STILL...after 32 years on vinyl! The Professor...indeed!

Last edited:
Hello Pocketman,
In reply to your thoughts on Analog Kid , and Signals in general, I do agree. This is my first post here , and while I am not a drummer , I have been an airdrummer for nearly 27 years ( boy , am I tired ! ). I do tend to miss the more 'heavy' days of Rush , but , with maturity comes increased wisdom and scope , which is what has been on display over the last decade or so. Thinking of "pounding" the snare makes me want to go watch "The Enemy Within" from the p/g Tour video.
Anyhow , hope you and everyone else can appreciate my comments. GTG - my absolute favourite just came on my playlist - Marathon.
Best wishes from Montreal.

This man has had a great influence upon my life. He was the one who I saw the best, in my opinion, a drummer to shake the ages. And that he did, he has overcame so much in his life and stuck true to his one love...Drumming, so no doubt that he is a true legend but though when he passes on no one will be able to reconcile the greatness that he had put into drumming.

Neil Peart for life!

i have just finished watching the whole of anatomy of a drum solo.

i liked it

but there is this one little moment which i have repeat watched at least 20 times. its on disc 2 in the tom sawyer bonus section at 2:33 and the next 10 seconds say everything about what a serious powerhouse of a drummer neil is. his fills are precise and creative and just astounding. that stuf following 2:33 is so very inspiring that i'm going to get off this computer right now and go and play dr

i have just finished watching the whole of anatomy of a drum solo.

i liked it

but there is this one little moment which i have repeat watched at least 20 times. its on disc 2 in the tom sawyer bonus section at 2:33 and the next 10 seconds say everything about what a serious powerhouse of a drummer neil is. his fills are precise and creative and just astounding. that stuf following 2:33 is so very inspiring that i'm going to get off this computer right now and go and play dr

Can you show us a clip Jason?

The most influential rock drummer? No way , not even close in fact.

Yes he is a premier prog drummer. What is neil peart? He is neil peart of course! ....the guy who plays in rush.

Who is ringo starr? Hmm big part of the band that changed the quintessential rock and roll sound into guitar , bass and drum format. Probably inspired countless people to play the drums, and of course - no one swings quarters like Ringo!

Back