...for the jazz cats ...

Great music Andrew. Swinging us all into bad health!

Yes, a good bass player is everything. It is something that I've been especially aware of recently. Playing the same songs with different groups, I noticed that the feel of everything is tied very heavily to the bass player. I mean, where I would've probably blamed myself for shortcomings in the sound of the band, I am learning that it's got more to do with the bass player that I had ever realized.

I think most of us tend to look inward when something is not happening with the feel of the music. It's just what, as drummers, we do. Blaming anyone else feels wrong. It's sort of like blaming your pants for shrinking when the problem is that you're gaining weight. :) But the reality is that, yes, the bass player can really make a huge difference that we can't overcome one way or the other.

Yeah, you are absolutely right about trying to take too much responsibility for the feel of the music. Just like working with a great bass player is easy, working with a bad one is incredibly difficult.

Over time I have tried to come up with some ways of dealing with bad bass players to sort of mitigate the damage. But the biggest thing as you point out is not to take full responsibility for a bass players short-comings. After that, I just try to make the music feel as good as I possibly can, but I would be curious to hear what you guys think about this issue.

So the question is, how do you deal with a bad bass player on a gig?

Anyone ever heard of Michael Vachter, in particular his work with Jewels and Binoculars? Hit upon some of his work purely by accident (researching arrangements for a song called Jack-a-Roe of which they do a cool version). Plays some pretty mean funky stuff. Unfortunately not easy to find online:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZn4pmXrvTI&feature=endscreen&NR=1

I've heard of Michael Vachter! if it's the guy I'm thinking of, he's from my hometown of Eureka, CA. But by the time I was aware of him (circa 1988) he had long since moved away. I used to play with a few jazz musicians in the area who spoke VERY highly of his playing. When I was in high school, there was an LP lying around that the Eureka High School jazz band had recorded around 1970, and Vachter was the drummer on it (and he was smoking even back then). Up until now, that's the only recording I'd heard with him on it. Thanks for the link!

Happy to hear someone heard of him. I found a few videos of him and I like his playing- very experimental and a nice groove on a china/pang cymbal.

As a former Trentonian, I am very partial to Trentons own Richie Cole and got to see him in small clubs like Lanzis Lounge and Joes Mill Hill...I feel blessed. ;) I just found this on Youtube and it's amazing, Richie with a quartet backing the greatest Jazz singer/scatter of all time Eddie Jefferson... it's din-o-mite! check it out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JllmsDFJ7YE

A smoking video of Stanley Clarke, Patrice Rushen and Ndugu Chancler doing some Rollins: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMLkgtJ3N0w.

Hope it hasn't been posted before- trying to focus on active cats.
Those are STILL some happenin' cats.
Great performance. Thanks for posting it.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kafka,

Somewhere I have an episode of the old PBS Jazz Masters series that features Richie Cole backing up Nancy Wilson.
Really great stuff. Richie's always been an A-lister.
That's a cool piece of footage you posted.

Elvis

What sticks are you guys using these days? I'm interested in trying out new stuff.

I use quite a few different ones.

My primary stick is a Vic Firth 5A and my lighter stick is a VF AJ6. I also use the VF AJ2.

And every once in a while I will break out the 5A nylon tip.

I also use VF Heritage brushes as well as Regal Tip Jeff Hamilton brushes.

BTW, thanks for the youtube link.

I have been in love with the Erskine Ride sticks since they came out..... definitely an awesome stick and gives fantastic definition on the ride cymbal

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM6xhnCitqw

Aah!! Totally forgot that stick. Love that stick! I used to used to use it all the time. I'm not really sure why I switched. Probably just because another stick felt better that day.

That PE Ride Stick gives the most beautiful sound on the ride.

Thanks. I may have to go pick up a couple more pair now...

Vater 52nd street jazz hickory. It has a long narrow tip. Makes a lot of contact with the cymbal when played parralell to the cymbal for a nice braod clangy ride sound I love. When played at a slight angle it makes very little contact with the cymbal for a defined dry sound (like the Sweet Ride stick). Two distinct sounds from one stick.

one of my absolute favorite records

this whole album is amazing ....and Jack DeJohnette kills it on the kit

I'm a sucker for some Jackie McLean....pretty much love everything he has ever done

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qi9JzUWmz8

Man, that sounds nice. I had forgotten about this one, hadn't listened to it in ages.

Two guys named Larry on the record, hard to go wrong :)

Sticks:

Silverfox Bop Master - mix between a 5a and 7a great for riding!
Silverfox 5A
Silverfox 7A

Brushes/rods:
Silverfox Swiskas
Silverfox Foxtail
Silverfox Clawstix
Silverfox Nitestalks
Silverfox B.O.D.S

I'm a proud Silverfox Endorser.

I've played the Peter Erskine Model, The VF AJ series, If there is a jazz stick out there I've played it but I always come back to Silverfox. The one brush I really enjoyed was the Vic Firth Live Wires, it really brought out the sound.

Sticks:

Silverfox Bop Master - mix between a 5a and 7a great for riding!
Silverfox 5A
Silverfox 7A

Brushes/rods:
Silverfox Swiskas
Silverfox Foxtail
Silverfox Clawstix
Silverfox Nitestalks
Silverfox B.O.D.S

I'm a proud Silverfox Endorser.

I've played the Peter Erskine Model, The VF AJ series, If there is a jazz stick out there I've played it but I always come back to Silverfox. The one brush I really enjoyed was the Vic Firth Live Wires, it really brought out the sound.

Silverfox ..... . definitely an underrated stick

Back