Jim Riley

Paul Quin

Pioneer Member
I had the pleasure of taking my eight year old to her first clinic at Sam Ash in Tampa yesterday. The clinician was Jim Riley, drummer with Rascall Flatts. While I had heard some of the hits (and had been bombarded with their cover of "Life is a Highway" from "Cars" - because I have a two year old son), I was really unfamiliar with Jim's playing.

He accentuated the solid foundation necessary to be a working drummer and spent some time adapting rudiments to the kit and especially to use in grooves. He invited some younger attendees up onto the stage and was extremely encouraging. He also played along with some fairly complicated stuff with shifting time signatures and did a tribute to John Bonham (playing "Foursticks"). His clinic was impressive and educational - and what a hell of a nice, straightforward guy. Don't let the fact that he plays in a straight ahead country band make you jump to any conclusions concerning his chops and technique. He did some flam a diddles around the kit that just blew my mind.

If you get the chance go check him out!!

http://www.drummerworld.com/drummers/Jim_Riley.html

Paul

Oh - by the way, my daughter thinks Jim may have hung the drumming moon - which is a little dissapointing because prior to the clinic she thought I did. Good job I didn't take her to see Vinnie!

Its good to see the music talent continues to run in the family. Maybe she will grow up to be a great singer like her aunt, or maybe a drummer like her dad.

Its good to see the music talent continues to run in the family. Maybe she will grow up to be a great singer like her aunt, or maybe a drummer like her dad.

Too kind - as ever! My daughter can sing like an angel and while I admit to potentially obnoxious parental bias her ability to sing in key and in time has been noted by others. I suspect the real drumming talent in the family will emerge from my son who, although only two, can lock into a groove with his hands like a champ! My family, of course, consists of many professional musicians - from my sister -whom you know about - to one nephew who has just got back from touring with the Christians and Black and to my niece (who used to be on Grange Hill for those English folks out there) and is currently filming a series called "Rock Rivals" and will shortly sign a deal with one of the big four labels to do her own stuff. I have two other nephews, one an incredible bass player, and the other a singer guitarist who writes and sings like Prince. Both will make it eventually!!

But back on track - what do you think of Jim Riley!

Paul

Sorry to resssurect an old thread, but Jim Riley will be doing a free clinic in Norman, OK on March 12 at the Norman Music Institute, 2795 Broce Dr, Norman, OK (405)292-8200. Reservations are requested.

And since this thread has been resurrected, JIm is doing one of the master classes at this year's Modern Drummer festival. The other master class will be given by John Riley (no relation). Anyone going?

Paul

I attended a clinic this past July where Jim Riley was featured along with Steve Fidyk. They both did an outstanding job. If you get a chance to see either one of these guys you should go. Many thanks to Shane Fowlkes at Just Drums in Richmond Va for putting that clinic together.

Back