glock

if you are talking glock as in a glock handguns, i'd look at something other then a glock. mho, they are way over rated. if not talking pistol, never mind. lol

810200831016PM_BunnyPancake.jpg

sorry people i meant glockenspiel ......

The biggest done fall of most glocks is the bar mounts. The standard screws mounts ruthlessly murder sustain and choke the bars, especially in the upper octave. (kind of sounds like another suspension mount debate...)

The best glock I ever played is the Malletech Infinity model.

plating.jpg

The bars rest in three point suspension on rubber cushions at the vibration nodes. No screws at all, so the sustain is really out of this world compared to the standard. The bars are a nickel over steel rather than the popular chrome over steel which really over you with high overtones imo. And the matte finish is really lovely compared to the standard mirror finish that you get with the chrome over steel.

The frame is solid Oak and design very well, both sonically and structurally. The deep case is like a resonance chamber and allows the bells to really project with a solid tone.. they aren't thin sounded like a lot of others I've played. I can't say enough good things about this set of bells. Unfortunately they are really expensive (~$1800US), but by studying this, you may have a gauge on which to judge other glocks in your price range.

glock.jpg

For a quality glock:

1. Make sure that the bars are made from steel, not aluminum.
2. Make sure that none of the bars are suffering from metal fatigue
3. Make sure the frame allows suspension of the bars at the nodal points.
4. Don't get a glock that holds the bars in place with a screw through each bar, unless you intend on removing the screws.
5. If buying used, make sure it's mostly in tune. Bars can be retuned, but any significantly out-of-tune bars suggests that the previous owner neglected to properly care for the instrument, either by excessively using metal mallets, placing heavy objects on the glock, or closing their mallets in the case when they packed it up. Also, wear in the finish is totally fine, especially if it's one of the older models in a violin case where you have to set it up every time you play it, but dents and dings are a sure sign of a mistreated glock.

Good luck! Let us know what you get!

Yes. Nonnegotiable. If it makes you feel any better, I'm told I look like Snooki and Rush limbaugh had a baby.

how bout if i just close my eyes then...............here goes.....(((smooooooooch)))
there...ok so we've made up now. (wiping my lips with the back of my hand) lol

Back