I LOVE my new Tune Bot!

Hey thanks for the textbook explanation Dennis!

I actually kinda understood that.This material would make a great clinic. My main challenge I think would be how far to tighten down the lugs after it starts to resonate.
I guess keep it at lowest possible tone where it resonates?

As you said earlier, that's why some of us resort to tuning to notes because at least there's a target to aim for. Determining the bullseye of that target however, is the challenge.

I'm gonna have to learn more about finding the sweet spot.

Same here Big. I'm new to tuning and I've watched a bunch of videos and read many an article but so far just trying to tune and retune has been helping me the most. I can get the drum to resonate the most but I don't know if thats what that particular drum size is supposed to sound like or does it have to do with that particular drums characteristics and when it resonates the most then thats it for that shell. Confusing.

Any device that makes more drums sound better is a good thing in my opinion.

And things like this help people learn to tune. It's a bit like playing guitar and figuring out songs by ear vs sheet music/tabs. In the beginning I couldn't figure out a even the most simple riffs or chord patterns without having it shown to me. After a while I learned just how certain sounds are produced, things like melodic and harmonic intervals, typical chord progressions, major/minor/7th chords, became more clear. Now I'm more confident to just try figure something out before looking up the sheet music straight away. In the end it was all just ear training.

When I bought my Tension Watch I spent at least 10x more time experimenting with my drums than I would have without it. I sold it a few months later because I didn't need it anymore.

Basically I think someone who owns a Tunebot will become good at tuning whether they have it with them or not, or at least better than someone who never owned a Tunebot. Assuming those two people couldn't tune in the first place. It will teach you just as much as it will serve you (assuming it actually does work, which I guess it does!)

You made the statement that tuning sucks. Most people believe things suck because they don't have the mental fortitude or skill sets to really learn how to do them. I always thought algebra and calculus sucked until I learned the basics. You can learn just about anything if you put forward just a little initiative. Drum maintenance and particularly their tuning, deserves the same mind set as actually playing the drums. Just too many want things handed to them on a silver platter without actually putting the time in to hone the craft.

"no gear that can replace skill".

audiotech;965634? said:
Technology is a good thing in most cases, but I have yet to see technology that is better at achieving the goal of tuning a drum that's better or more accurate than the human ear, unless the individual is too lax to try to learn the craft, then I guess anything would sound better than a flat sounding kit. Who ever said that by using some kind of tuning device that it is more efficient? I'll tell you, it's the person that can't tune their kit without some sort of a crutch. It's only more efficient of the individual has no other alternative. It's not a chore if you know what you're doing. In your case it seems as if chore is synonymous with "sucks". I can just picture the individual frantically running around their house looking for their tuning machine which was inadvertently misplaced, broken or has an expired battery, this won't happen with my ears, lol.

Not to be argumentative, but these are the same things people said when the mylar drum head was introduced to replace calf skin;

Why go to plastic?
because calf skin is too inconsistent
No, just learn to tune out the inconsistencies
Because plastic isn't affected by moisture the way calf is
just learn to deal with moisture control and tuning like we've been doing for years
Why not embrace something that will improve the sound?
Because it's not natural!
But using a plastic head is more efficent
It's only more efficient of the individual has no other alternative.

I mean, if you take the mind set this is getting around the craft, then why use plastic heads? Why not go back to tucking your own calf skin heads?
Don't want gear that hands you good sounds to you on a silver platter? Why even buy a drum set? Why not get your own log and hollow it out the way people used to do it?
Because buying a drum set is more efficient than hollowing out our own logs.
It's only more efficient of the individual who don't want to make their own logs.

And please, don't use a pass drum pedal, because that is a modern invention designed to make a single drummer's job easier! It's only more efficient of the individual has no other alternative of a 2nd drummer to play the bass drum part along with them.

. ....tuning, deserves the same mind set as actually playing the drums.

Again, not to be argumentative, but on a philosophical level, why?
As Soup said, tuning is only a means to end, it's not the task it self. Once a drum is tuned, does it matter how it got there?

If two drummers are equal, one the same kit, but drummer a tuned the drums himself, and drummer b had his roadie do it, would anyone be able to tell the difference? No. Would anyone care? No.

So how is the mind set the same as playing?

How many name pros spend much time tuning? Most touring drummers have roadies on the road that do all of the majority it for them. The name studio guys have cartage companies that set up and tune for them. Companies like "The Drum Doctor" exist solely to provide good sounding drums. Which isn't to say pros don't know how to tune, but a lot of them just don't bother to do it themselves.

But back it up, to the 70's: Look at how many legendary drummers made recordings with taped up concert toms, used hydraulic heads, or otherwise had dead/bad sounding drums. Was the tuning the same mind set as the tuning? No, the tuning was horrible, but the playing was great.

Or back up to the 60's when Ringo was using tape and towels and made some of the most popular recordings of all time. Where was the mind set on proper tuning?

Or go to today's over production, where it doesn't matter how well the drums sound, the producer goes back over everything with sound replacement software and quantizes stuff to death. Is the tuning the same mind set as the drumming? Not really.

To say some sort of drum tuner only more efficient of the individual has no other alternative is a rather arbitrary line the sand compared to all the modern products we all use to achieve a better drum sound.

Last edited:
Any device that makes more drums sound better is a good thing in my opinion.

When I bought my Tension Watch I spent at least 10x more time experimenting with my drums than I would have without it. I sold it a few months later because I didn't need it anymore.

Basically I think someone who owns a Tunebot will become good at tuning whether they have it with them or not, or at least better than someone who never owned a Tunebot. Assuming those two people couldn't tune in the first place. It will teach you just as much as it will serve you (assuming it actually does work, which I guess it does!)

OK...so I just further tightened down/tuned a snare and tuned my bass drum and rack toms with this gizmo. I like it :) Right before I moved to the next head, I tested around the lugs and all nice in tune. What it's doing for me already is giving me more of an awareness in the tones for each head, and each drum. Which is teaching me lots.

I had asked earlier about finding the "sweet spot" for a drum. I dared to ask that question only because if I couldn't find it, I could clip this gizmo back on - and recover the last tuning I had.
Surely opens up a new world for me...

Perhaps I will be able to eventually say that I sold it, because my tuning was so good. Won't be for a little while though... :)

There are many good points about this product in this thread. I agree that knowing how to tune without gadgets is a must but I agree with the opinion that if there is a tool available to make it easier to get to the end result then that is a great thing. I can tune by ear and "feel" so I feel I am adequate at tuning. I am buying a Tune Bot for sure.

I don't get it

Why not just use a piano?

I do. Before a show, between sets. Pull the toms, tune to the piano.

Pretty simple. Takes me a few minutes.

I guess I can see not needing to pull the toms. Aside from that, I'll save the $99 and upgrade the wine at dinner.

-K

Re: I don't get it

Why not just use a piano?

I do. Before a show, between sets. Pull the toms, tune to the piano.

Pretty simple. Takes me a few minutes.

I guess I can see not needing to pull the toms. Aside from that, I'll save the $99 and upgrade the wine at dinner.

-K

I actually just did (last week). I was just about to spring for a very portable keyboard (I have a grand piano, and 2 yamaha keyboards at home - all larger sized). So I too have to lug the toms over.

I would have to say that this TB cut my tuning time down, though I still unmount the toms.
Easier, faster, and accurate (for me at least) for $99. I'm just lazy like that.

It's not a cure all for tuning, and I know a lot of you experienced tuners are better off saving your money for the Cabernet. I'm still learning but this speeds up my curve.

Can I ask what notes you tune your toms to?

Re: I don't get it

I actually just did (last week). I was just about to spring for a very portable keyboard (I have a grand piano, and 2 yamaha keyboards at home - all larger sized). So I too have to lug the toms over.

I would have to say that this TB cut my tuning time down, though I still unmount the toms.
Easier, faster, and accurate (for me at least) for $99. I'm just lazy like that.

It's not a cure all for tuning, and I know a lot of you experienced tuners are better off saving your money for the Cabernet. I'm still learning but this speeds up my curve.

Can I ask what notes you tune your toms to?

HI buddy

I play DW's. 96 Keller Green Sparkle gems in fast tom sizes.

I tune the Batter and Reso to the notes stamped inside. No tape, no gel. I let the toms just sing.

8" F# (add on... eBay a few weeks ago. Thanks everyone here for the Blick tip. Easy as pie getting this to a nearly identical match with the Sparkle Bright!)

10" Bb (original)

12" D (original)

14" C (original)

16" G# (add on from eBay a few years ago - finish ply already matched... Traditional depth, 1" deeper... 2002 non-Keller DW shell. This thing thunders, but at G# its barely tight enough to take out the wrinkle!)

20" Kick - Tune to taste. I don't tune this to a specific note.

14 X 5.5 Craviotto Snare from 2001 - Tune to taste. I don't tune this to a specific note.

10 X 5 DW mini side Snare from 2007 - Tune to taste. I don't tune this to a specific note.

Evans Black Rezos, DW Remo Batters on all toms.

Evans G1 on Snare batter with tiny Gel patches, Remo Snare Membrane on rezo

DW Rezo on Kick, Evans EMAD batter

Daz it.

Love this kit. Its my Anti-kit. Played Yamaha Custom Recording through the 80s. Spitting blood and setting myself on fire on the strip throughout the 80's So funny. 2 X 26, black piano laquer, the whole 9. Big Tommy A Kit. Wanted something small and tasty for the last half of my life - so I grabbed this teeny DW. All I needed to do was hit the toms in the shop, and I knew this would be the kit to take me home. To me, tone is everything in a drum. I'm a nut about tuning, and there is a very specific tone that moves me. I get that tone from this kit.

I've played a thousand kits. This is mine. And to me, nothing else sounds like it.

Love this kit. Taken it everywhere. Play it every week - sounds amazing.

Rhone Blend my friend. MSG

:)

-K

Not to be argumentative, but these are the same things people said when the mylar drum head was introduced to replace calf skin;

Sorry, but after working most of the day, I really don't have the time or initiative to read your entire post, maybe tomorrow.

I will comment about the Mylar heads though, since it was the first thing off your keyboard. When the Tune-Bot is fifty some years old as are the Mylar drum heads, maybe we won't be needing this non-argumentative banter. I know fifty years from now I'll be looking at the entire situation from another viewpoint, lol.

Oh, BTW, when I got home this afternoon a package was waiting for me. After I called an acquaintance of mine the other day, he had a Tune-Bot waiting for me when I arrived home. As I said in an earlier post, I'll keep an open mind about the product until I have one in my hands, and now I do. I only had a few minutes to play with it today, but that's all I'll say for now.

DSC_0104-1.jpg

Dennis

Last edited:
Sorry, but after working most of the day, I really don't have the time or initiative to read your entire post, maybe tomorrow.

I will comment about the Mylar heads though, since it was the first thing off your keyboard. When the Tune-Bot is fifty some years old as are the Mylar drum heads, maybe we won't be needing this non-argumentative banter. I know fifty years from now I'll be looking at the entire situation from another viewpoint, lol.

Oh, BTW, when I got home this afternoon a package was waiting for me. After I called an acquaintance of mine the other day, he had a Tune-Bot waiting for me when I arrived home. As I said in an earlier post, I'll keep an open mind about the product until I have one in my hands, and now I do. I only had a few minutes to play with it today, but that's all I'll say for now.

DSC_0104-1.jpg

Dennis

Its on backwards, sir.

F

Its on backwards, sir.

F

Why would you say that it's on backwards? It's supposed to be able to read accurately placed anywhere on the hoop. I've even read some people hold it above the drum. I could turn it upside down but then I would have to read it from the front of the kit. Besides it looked better there as a photo op, better composition, lol..

Dennis

the sensing hole is on the other end, away from the red dot. Put it anywhere on the hoop, but youll get better readings with the other end over the head...see the TB website.

F

Attachments

• tunebotdrumtuner.jpg
    tunebotdrumtuner.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 1,156
the sensing hole is on the other end, away from the red dot. Put it anywhere on the hoop, but you'll get better readings with the other end over the head...see the TB website.

F

I see what you mean. The little sensing hole is just a tiny electret microphone which should be able to hear the pitch of the drum as long as it's in close proximity. If these things are somewhat calibrated, the exact positioning between the microphone and the head of the drum could make a difference. Most if not all electret microphones are omni directional so actual head to sensor distance would not be influenced by any proximity effect as it would be with a cardioid element.

Dennis

Someone wake up Dennis!!! :)

Waiting for a review lol !

Sorry, but it's going to be a while. Two of my add on drums for the Ludwig kit came in yesterday, so they have to be disassembled, inspected, the hardware tightened and tension rods lightly lubed before putting them back together. I also have an unscheduled voice session going on this afternoon. I didn't expect my drums or the Tune Bot to make it into my hands so quickly.

Dennis

Sorry, but it's going to be a while. Two of my add on drums for the Ludwig kit came in yesterday, so they have to be disassembled, inspected, the hardware tightened and tension rods lightly lubed before putting them back together. I also have an unscheduled voice session going on this afternoon. I didn't expect my drums or the Tune Bot to make it into my hands so quickly.

Dennis

Ok Dennis...I'll be patient lol ;-)

Anyone have a link for this being sold by GC? I cannot seem to find it on their site.

Thank you

You'll have to call your local store. They are a "promo" item at the moment. The GC guys confirmed they are not on the website for that reason.

Back