Rack tom scratching bass paint

brianbags

This might be a stupid question but I can't think of anything else to do. I have my tom mounted off of a cymbal stand and it rests on the bass (only way to keep it steady). As you all know, the ring that goes around the drum on the outside is pretty sharp and it started taking the paint off of the top of my bass. I've tried using plastic, moongels, and most recently the rubber on a ping-pong paddle to put under the drum but it only ripped through all of them.

Does anybody have any tips...maybe they make something especially for this problem?

sounds like you have a tom holder problem? Missing hardware screws?

Make sure the tom mount and clamp is not missing any screws. If so, get them fixed, PRONTO and get that tom off the kick drum.

Raise it...move it...or live with it. Have you seen Rush R30? Neil's kit is all over the place. When you suspend off cymbal stands and suspension mounts that's what you get. Maybe your stands are too light weight or improperly positioned.

sounds like you have a tom holder problem? Missing hardware screws?

Make sure the tom mount and clamp is not missing any screws. If so, get them fixed, PRONTO and get that tom off the kick drum.

Nah everything I'm using to connect it is brand new out of the box. Maybe it's because I have a crash, and splash and this tom on the same stand...

but I've lifted it up and everything still wabbles but I'll see how it is when I'm playing tomorrow...it's too late now

But it wabbles all over the place if it doesn't sit on it

What mounts are you using? How many toms flying off those mounts? Do you have the cymbal leg sitting directly under the tom to support the weight? Give as many details about your tom set up as you can and hopefully we'll come up with a solution......again, there is no need to rest one drum on another. That was always a recepie for disaster!

What mounts are you using? How many toms flying off those mounts? Do you have the cymbal leg sitting directly under the tom to support the weight? Give as many details about your tom set up as you can and hopefully we'll come up with a solution......again, there is no need to rest one drum on another. That was always a recepie for disaster!

lol, i'm actually using the ones you suggested here

OK, three options.

1. Leave the set up as is, with your toms mounted on the stock tom holder which is mounted on the bass drum (as per your pics). You DON'T need to buy another tom arm for this set up. You've lost me there....you don't need to buy anything extra. Your pics show you have everything you need to leave it like this.

2. Mount the tom ON TO a cymbal stand. You'll need to buy a clamp ,http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibraltar-SCBGC-Grabber-Multi-Clamp?sku=446368, a single tom holder - which will have an L-arm (NOT like the Pearl tom arm you've linked....that won't work on your tom mounts). Gibraltar make a generic one. http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibraltar-Ball-Arm-L-Rod-Mount?sku=446271 (OR you can just use the one you have already). Put the clamp on the cymbal stand and then put the tom holder in the other end. Mount your tom, play around with the desired height/angle etc. You MAY have to move your cymbal stand to get the tom in the right position for you. So be it.

3. Mount the tom INTO a cymbal stand = Tre's set up. Buy a cymbal stand. Take the top sections out. Use the base of the stand and put your tom holder in it. Mount your tom,

Bob's your uncle, Fanny's your aunt....off you go.

They work great but there's just this one problem

About your leg question, this is how it is and there's no way around this because the bass is in the way (I can't fit a leg under the bass but I have it as close as it can go)

Untitledstand.jpg

(as I said in another topic, I had to the a screenshot cause the file isn't there to upload for some reason. But in case you can't see well, the bass leg is touching the cymbal leg)

well, you could always go with suggestion 1.

If you have the tom mounts on the bass already, ya might as well just go that route.

Edit: just read the other thread. Didn't work for you.

I guess you could just learn to deal with it. I have my tom flying off of a stand and it works for me. Sure it does wobble slightly when hit but, it never comes close to falling down. If you are going to buy anything, get a heavier cymbal stand. PDP makes nice ones for pretty cheap. This is the one I have and it's great.

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/PDP-900-Series-Straight-Cymbal-Stand?sku=443561

Whatever decision you make, GET THAT TOM OFF THE BASS! No matter how wobbly it is, NEVER rest a drum on another drum. EVER!

Last edited:
lol, i'm actually using the ones you suggested here
They work great but there's just this one problem

Ok man, I remember that thread.....sorry, I didn't make the connection.

When I'm using a one tom up arrangement, I do what I've suggested in point 2. Sounds like that's the option you've taken too. Yeah the tom 'bounces' a little....but it doesn't wobble all over the place and I've never had the need to rest it on the bass drum. I have it over a portion of the kick, but it's mounted about 1/2 inch or so above it so that it never touches. Obvious question, but is everything tight? If you're using new mounting hardware etc, there really shouldn't be that much movement.

I'd also try Wayne's suggestion and remove one of the cymbals, see if the problem still exists. If so, perhaps consider either mounting it to the bass drum (point 1) or putting the tom arm in the base of another cymbal stand (point 3) or even using a snare stand to mount the tom.

well, you could always go with suggestion 1.

If you have the tom mounts on the bass already, ya might as well just go that route.

The reason i didn't like that is because it sits wayyy too close to me. Using a cymbal stand I can have it further back, which is a ton better when I'm going around fast.

gold, you're right, there isn't that much. I was exaggerating, it's not as much as I remember. But yes it still moves of course. Everything is tight as it can get.

Well tonight I won a Zildjian A 18" Medium Thin Crash off of ebay so I'll need to get another cymbal stand. I figure I might as well go with the two pack from amazon and use the other one for the setup like Tre's we were talking about in that thread. I feel like it might be more sturdy but I'm not sure (http://www.amazon.com/Sound-Percuss...8&s=musical-instruments&qid=1268879828&sr=8-5) Those are good right?

But the other thing I just tried is putting the tom on my other stand to the right. That worked out even worse, it wobbled a lot more and I couldn't even get it in place. But I was also thinking that all that weight (two cymbals) on the stand on the left helps weight it down and make it shake less...

gold, you're right, there isn't that much. I was exaggerating, it's not as much as I remember. But yes it still moves of course. Everything is tight as it can get.

Those are good right?

But I was also thinking that all that weight (two cymbals) on the stand on the left helps weight it down and make it shake less...

A little bit of movement is to be expected.........you are hitting them, after all. But they shouldn't be wobbling all over the joint.

I'm not familiar with Sound Percussion hardware, they certainly look like they'll be just fine, but don't take my advice on them as I've never seen them let alone used them.

If the weight is distributed evenly, it may aid in weighing the whole thing down. If' it's not, then there'll be a loss of balance that may be causing the excess movement.

For a 10" or more tom plus 16" or more cymbal a Sound Percussion is not going to do it. I have seen them at GC. They are double braced but the down tubes are light weight. For that amount of weight try a Tama RoadPro:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Tama-HC73BWM-Roadpro-Boom-Stand-101639417-i1141274.gc

or a DW 5700

http://www.guitarcenter.com/DW-5700-Heavy-Duty-Straight-Boom-Cymbal-Stand-102532934-i1137442.gc

Play with the balance between the legs/tom/cymbal. If you still can't get what you need get a dedicated tom stand. But like we all have said get that tom off the bass.

Well tonight I won a Zildjian A 18" Medium Thin Crash off of ebay

I need one of those. Mail it to me. I'll pay postage =P

On the school kit, the tom suspension mounts are so shot that they hardly hold up a set of 10" and 12" toms. They're constantly scraping on the bass drum, and there are these two huge lines of wear where the toms have rubbed the finish off.

When I first bought my Renowns, I bought 3 Sound Percussion stands at GC, and had 1 drum and 1 cymbal on each, and with 1 splash on 2 of them without problem

Attachments

• PB030093.JPG
    PB030093.JPG
    140.2 KB · Views: 226

They look great JS, for sure. BUT......it's not the tom rubbing against the snare that is the issue. It's the mounted tom RESTING (read: sitting) on the bass drum. There is no need for it at all. Modern mounts (hell, I'd even argue old style mounts) are indeed strong enough to hold and support a mounted tom....with no need at all to be resting on the bass drum.

Back