What do i need to record my drums?

someone42

So i just recently bought my kit, A full set of Evans heads and some zildjian A's.
I want to set up a cheap but effective mic set up to do drum covers on youtube. I haven't recorded anything before so apart from mics i don't know what i need. Being at school sets me on a budget so i need to do this on the cheap side. I think i want to go with stereo over heads, bass drum and a snare mic then one day mic the whole kit. Any input on what i need would be appreciated. Also id like to be able to feed the sound from the mics plus the song i'm covering into the computer at once so i only have to sync the audio with the video instead of audio+song+video if that makes sense.

I suggest doing a search for 'recording' here on the forum. We've all done this and have discussed this at great length.

But if you haven't done anything yet, perhaps I would suggest a book on recording techniques first. Start reading, because it's a whole 'nother art-form you may or may not want to get into if you just like to play drums. You could go simple and get yourself a Zoom Q3HD video recorder, it records great with it's built-in stereo mics. You start saying you wanna do drum covers, then you've opened up another can of worms.

Thanks i think i have a fair idea now of what i need. Mics, leads, a audio interface and the software. I've just got to buy the gear and learn how to use it now. I remember when i was ten i found like 10 pairs of earphones, wired them in series with a 10" woofer in front of the bass drum and plugged them all into my computers mic jack. The sound was surprisingly ok. Thinking back on it, it should have overloaded my mic jack and made the sound distorted.

I suggest doing a search for 'recording' here on the forum. We've all done this and have discussed this at great length.

But if you haven't done anything yet, perhaps I would suggest a book on recording techniques first. Start reading, because it's a whole 'nother art-form you may or may not want to get into if you just like to play drums. You could go simple and get yourself a Zoom Q3HD video recorder, it records great with it's built-in stereo mics. You start saying you wanna do drum covers, then you've opened up another can of worms.

I would take Bo's advise, If you have never done any recording before, you are going to spend tons of cash get and waist a ton of time. I would get a Zoom Q3 or HN4 recorder. I would then get some entry level recording software like Reaper or Mixcraft. I think they are 50 bucks you can get on line. I use a 16x16 audio interface drums fully miced and use Motu Digital Performer. The reason I have that gear is because my brother runs and owns a recording studio. Sometimes I am asked to play on some pre recorded tracks and send him the audio files, That way he can remix my drums at his studio. He also taught me how to track drums and mix. Thats the only reason I have and use this gear. Do a lot of research and educate yourself first. I also use a Zoom Q3 as well. It works great.

I've been listening to some covers done with the zoom q3 and they actually sound fairly good. And i guess i could always in the future get some mics and a mixer and plug the mixer into the line in jack on the camera. I shall get one soon! Thanks a ton guys saved me a heap of time.

Back