DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 10-19-2018, 07:01 AM
Silver Member

Default Tuning tutorial idea... Has this been done?

As we all know, what you hear behind the drums, is not exactly what the audience hears. So, has anyone seen/done any videos where they demonstrate various standard tuning techniques (batter higher, reso higher, both heads the same, JAW, etc.), then show what the drum will sound like from the drummer's perspective, the audience's perspective, and (possibly) close-mic'd?
Old 10-19-2018, 09:27 AM

Default Re: Tuning tutorial idea... Has this been done?

There is a vid from Simon Phillips about this on YouTube. Can't find it since I'm at work, but if you search on 'simon phillips tuning' it's one of the top results (one of the more recent videos). Not a whole tutorial, but he does go into how he tunes and that he tunes his drums so they sound good from a recording perspective or how it sounds FOH. So basically not tune so it sounds good to you, but so it sounds good what the audience/mics/engineer hear.
Old 10-19-2018, 01:49 PM

Also check out “sounds like a drum” youtube channel.
Old 10-19-2018, 02:26 PM
Administrator - Mayor

As mentioned, this is a great series from two in the know.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYT...30Mr1z_pgp3ypw
Old 10-19-2018, 03:22 PM
Platinum Member

Kenny Sharretts has videos where he demonstrates different tuning intervals between the top and bottom heads and each other drum, and how those tunings work in harmony with different music styles and impressions.

Demonstrating the differences between how drums sound out front or under a mic would be difficult because every room is different and every mic is different. Add in the different tunings and it would be very complex to get a good understanding across.

Even the best mics don't sound anything like what you hear with your ears. Everything recorded is an approximation.
Old 10-19-2018, 03:38 PM
Gold Member

Bob Gatzen did a great series of tuning videos that are very informative.
Old 10-19-2018, 09:06 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallyY View Post
Kenny Sharretts has videos where he demonstrates different tuning intervals between the top and bottom heads and each other drum, and how those tunings work in harmony with different music styles and impressions.

Demonstrating the differences between how drums sound out front or under a mic would be difficult because every room is different and every mic is different. Add in the different tunings and it would be very complex to get a good understanding across.

Even the best mics don't sound anything like what you hear with your ears. Everything recorded is an approximation.

Seems like it could still be a helpful demonstration for beginning drummers (or just people wanting to learn more about tuning) to kind of show "hey, if you tune like this, these will be the big sound differences between drummer perspective and audience perspective"... Maybe not as far as the actual tone, but other sonic differences (ie maybe your toms sound nice and full from the driver's seat, but the way you tune makes them sound thin, flat, and weak to the audience).

Many people talk about how the sound is different from behind the drums as opposed to in front of them. But I've never heard anyone demonstrate this, or even give any real insight as to what differences to expect listening to a drum kit from different perspectives. For instance "if you tune like this, your toms will have X quality, which is great for close-micing (demo the sound). But from out front, it sounds like this" (demo that sound from out front).

A lot of drummers don't get to hear their drums from out front, and may have no idea that what sounds good to them may sound dead and lifeless to an audience. Or maybe what seems like a lackluster sound from behind the kit could sound great out front. But they would never know.
Old 10-19-2018, 09:11 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickP View Post
Bob Gatzen did a great series of tuning videos that are very informative.
There are a lot of informative tuning videos out there. I've seen some of the Bob Gatzen videos, but I don't recall him A/B-ing various tunings from behind the kit vs. in front of the kit. In fact, I don't know if I've seen any videos of him demonstrating more than one tuning at all. I haven't watched them in years though, so I could be forgetting something.
Old 10-19-2018, 09:42 PM
Platinum Member

That's a great idea for a video. I'd love to see Sounds Like A Drum run with this at a venue before a gig possibly. . I guess the closest thing currently out there would be room mic videos, but those are mostly in studios.
Old 10-19-2018, 10:02 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ineedaclutch View Post
That's a great idea for a video. I'd love to see Sounds Like A Drum run with this at a venue before a gig possibly. . I guess the closest thing currently out there would be room mic videos, but those are mostly in studios.
Totally, the Sounds Like A Drum guys would be perfect to do this. Their videos always seem well thought out/put together.
Old 10-19-2018, 10:05 PM

Rob Brown has a few on his channel as well. His tuning techniques are quick and easy to understand and you'll hear the drums from out in front.
Old 10-19-2018, 10:50 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderRoss View Post
Rob Brown has a few on his channel as well. His tuning techniques are quick and easy to understand and you'll hear the drums from out in front.
I've seen his videos too. Still haven't seen one that compares drummer's perspective to audience perspective. If the video only shows what the drums sound like out front, once the viewer tunes the drums the way the video says, they may be wondering why the end result sounds so different compared to the video... Because the video isn't showing what the tuning should sound like when you're actually behind the kit (which is where the viewer will likely be hearing the drums from).

That's why I would suggest demonstrating the results of each popular method of tuning from different vantage points. That way, less experienced drummers could say "I'm recording close-mic'd today, so I should tune more like X", or "I'm playing a live, loud, unmic'd (drums) gig today, so I should tune so my drums sound better/more defined out front".