DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 10-05-2018, 11:56 PM
Platinum Member

Default Turning Points?

So, I saw/heard Bill Stewart the other night playing with John Scofield. And I didn’t just see/hear him, I sat three feet behind him, just to his left!

It was un-freakng-real!! Like the cheapest masterclass ever with one of the greatest drummers ever. His groove, the way he gets up inside that $hit and then weaves in, out and all around, that supinated right hand thing he does to get the cymbal knock so integral to his musical identity...I could go on.

I’m a bit reluctant to claim it just yet, but it felt and still feels like “life-changing moment” territory to me. I just cannot shake it (nor do I want to ;-).

With that in mind, what’s been a significant turning point in your musical life? And how has that change in trajectory affected your musical experiences?
Attached Images

Old 10-06-2018, 12:01 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Turning Points?

Insane. I'm jealous - hard to top that seat!

Complete aside, I can't help but notice some of the composite lug Stage Custom Advantage drums in that setup...
Old 10-06-2018, 12:05 AM
Platinum Member

My first Clutch show.

Tiny little venue and I was like 20 feet from JP Gaster just absolutely ripping the drumheads off the rims without even breaking a sweat.

I still remember that being the moment where I realized that drumming wasn't about how fast you could play, and I don't need to compete with anyone, I just need to work on PLAYING MUSIC and making it feel as good as I can.

He played a drum solo in the middle of wyswig that blew my mind and barely even had many 16th notes... But the rhythmic ideas were amazing and I still remember how he was folding back the time on itself over several bars.

That night I decided to put down the other instruments and really follow my love of the drums. Turning point indeed.
Old 10-06-2018, 12:12 AM

One, by Metallica. I dont really like metallica but the double kick in that song blew my mind

Ticks and leeches by tool blew me away too.

And seeing Jojo mayer, Simon Philips and Terry Bozzio live all massively shifted my perception of drumming.
Old 10-06-2018, 12:41 AM
Administrator - Mayor

The reasons above are the reason I say to go to any drum clinic in your area that you can get to. I have seen 12 -15 drummers and each one brought something new or different. The shop where the clinics are held is small and sitting on top of these guys is not unusual. Get out there and go see them.
Old 10-06-2018, 01:30 AM
Platinum Member

That's awesome!!

I caught him at the Village Vanguard a handful of times and was fortunate to have the front table each and every time. I made I arrived early for the line and stayed for the 2nd set.

He is on my very short list of modern day players that have had the type of impact you are mentioning.
Old 10-06-2018, 01:47 AM
Platinum Member

Great responses so far, thanks for sharing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alparrott View Post
Complete aside, I can't help but notice some of the composite lug Stage Custom Advantage drums in that setup...
Yes, that was absolutely part of the experience for me. He was using backline from the venue and had a 12" Rogers tom, a mismatched Gretsch floor tom and bass drum and an old stage custom floor tom and snare drum with composite nouveau lugs (complete with a piece of duct tape on the side of the snare for some reason). And I never would have known the makeup of the kit if I hadn't seen it. He sounded exactly like Bill Stewart.
Old 10-06-2018, 02:12 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleeeeen View Post
Yes, that was absolutely part of the experience for me. He was using backline from the venue ...
Figured as much -- and absolutely not surprised he still sounded like him. That's the mark of a pro right there!
Old 10-06-2018, 03:30 AM
Platinum Member

Journey, 81 or 82. Blew my mind, I was 6 I think. I sat on my mom's shoulders the whole show and was just mesmerized by the whole experience. Explosions, light show, the whole schebang. I was hooked from song one (Line of Fire, yes it was that memorable). My world was flipped upside down, and very much for the better. Thank you Journey, for destroying any possibility of normalcy and putting music in my veins. It has been a worthwhile adventure I wouldn't trade for anything.
Old 10-06-2018, 06:37 PM
"Uncle Larry"

I'm still waiting for one.
Old 10-06-2018, 10:25 PM
Gold Member

I dont think Ive had one per say. But I remember in high school being at a party and there was a drum set and a guy playing guitar. I found myself drawn to sit down and start playing along. I found I was able to put together a beat and the feeling was wonderful. Development came real slow, but was able to just sit down and play. I think after that experience it was a couple years before I got a set and started fancying (my fabulous DW UK influence) myself a drummer. So, maybe I did have one.

Then there was checking out the Baltimore jazz scene in Baltimore around late '90's early '00's maybe catching Bing Miller (Baltimore jazz drummer, older guy, the REAL deal in my eyes and ears). I would go, basically sit on his lap...ok a few feet away and watch in awe with a half agape half idiotic grin in heaven.

Then there was doing the same thing with John Thomakos (Baltimore legend, went on to play with Cirque De Soleil, Vanessa Carlton, Carl Filipiak, and many others).

So yes, its seems the best experiences often come when your within feet of greatness! This was fun, great thread Spleeeen

Grunt....u remember Bing Miller?
Old 10-07-2018, 10:02 AM
Pioneer Member

I've had a few, but it's usually when playing with / listening to other musicians rather than listening to drummers
Old 10-07-2018, 01:34 PM
Platinum Member

Seeing Bob Becker play xylophone and snare drum summer of 1992 at Eastern Music Festival in Greensboro, NC. I’ve still never seen anyone with hands as good as his. He’s better than Buddy, Jim Chapin, any of the speedy guys today.
Old 10-07-2018, 08:33 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
I'm still waiting for one.
I don't believe you. ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
I've had a few, but it's usually when playing with / listening to other musicians rather than listening to drummers
Andy, this is exactly the kind of thing I'm curious about. Care to share a story or two?

And in case this wasn't clear, this was all about playing music, not playing drums. As usual, everything Bill played was a contribution to the musical conversation happening in the room, the stuff that gets collaboratively constructed in the spaces between people.
Old 10-07-2018, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrInsanePolack View Post
Journey, 81 or 82. Blew my mind, I was 6 I think. I sat on my mom's shoulders the whole show and was just mesmerized by the whole experience. Explosions, light show, the whole schebang. I was hooked from song one (Line of Fire, yes it was that memorable). My world was flipped upside down, and very much for the better. Thank you Journey, for destroying any possibility of normalcy and putting music in my veins. It has been a worthwhile adventure I wouldn't trade for anything.
Very cool, might have been the Captured/Departure tour leg? 1988-89 I around the same age as you were, do remember dad putting that album on and I would just look at the inside picture collage. Steve “Machine Gun” Smith like many others, was effortlessly doing things on the drums for the rock scene - influencing his blues and technical prowess. Would love to see his take on how he does “Hopelessly in Love”. His honorable musical perception and ability is no joke.
Old 10-07-2018, 11:36 PM

Great post! Coincidentally, Bill Stewart played on the Maceo Parker album, “Mo’ Roots,” which was THE album that first made me fall in love with jazz when I was 14 years old.
Old 10-08-2018, 12:02 AM
Silver Member

That’s very cool that you had that vantage point to check out Bill with Sco...

I guess if I could pick a musical turning point, it was around 1987 - I had been playing for a few years - and I heard guitarist Jean Paul Bourelly’s first album begin played in Tower Records. I was immediately hooked and bought the album on the spot.

Luckily he was gigging in NYC a lot back then, so my friends and I would check him out all of the time. Eventually, a very young Rodney Holmes started playing with him. The band was typically a trio with Rodney and Reggie Washington on bass (brother of drummer Kenny Washington) - so it was really the whole band that influenced me...
Old 10-08-2018, 01:30 AM
Platinum Member

It was when I saw the Jan Hammer Group in Bloomington, Indiana in 1978 or 1979. They were playing in a fairly small club. The experience made me get more serious about music. Peace and goodwill.
Old 10-15-2018, 05:07 PM
Platinum Member

During my first 22 years of playing drums, I played either at church or in various Christian bands. Whenever I gigged, it was usually at a Christian-based club, coffee shop, church, youth rally, etc. I never really gigged anywhere outside of this kind of venue. Also keep in mind that a lot of these venues paid nothing. And if they did pay anything, it was so small that it went either to food, gas, or equipment purchases/repairs because we all were poor and our gear was always beat to pieces.

So about three years ago, I hooked up with some guys who were tired of playing bluegrass who actually gigged out quite a bit. We started playing Americana music (a mix of Creedance, Doc Watson, John Prine, Chris Knight, etc.), and we got booked to play a college campus about 4-5 months after we started playing together. I was 40 years old and never played a "secular" venue in my life. We played, people loved us, and we got PAID! And I got to keep my money! It was then that I realized that maybe, just maybe, I was something more than "just a church drummer." It opened my eyes to a whole new world that showed me that, heck, maybe I'm pretty good at what I do.

I wish I would have started a decade or two earlier.
Old 10-15-2018, 05:20 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleeeeen View Post
I don't believe you. ;-)
You're right I clean forgot.

Jan 2nd 1983.

Right around Christmas 1982, I bought myself a Muddy Waters cassette tape produced by Johnny Winter. He also played on the album. The album is called "I'm Ready". I didn't actually listen to it until 1/2/83.

When I put it in the cassette player of my Ford Maverick (gag) and hit play, right from jump street, it was the closest thing I had to a religious experience. The sound seemed to me like it came out of the speaker in a big globular sound ball that surrounded my head. The fabric of the music...the intertwining of the separate instruments...it awoke something inside me. At the end of the first 2 songs on the tape, the title cut and the 2nd song, "Hootchie Kootchie Man"....I was hooked solid through the jawbone. I'm still hooked.

I woke up that morning normal, I went to sleep that night fundamentally changed. This was my first real experience with blues and the start of a long and satisfying journey.
Old 10-19-2018, 07:25 AM

I am not considering this a 'life changing thing' for myself, but i saw Brian Blade in the same way like the first picture is showing, which was pretty nice..

Definitely one of the most inspiring, creative, expressive drummers i ever saw..
Old 10-19-2018, 09:21 AM

The first real change was when my sister introduced me to Dream Theater somewhere in 2002 (believe the song was Overture 1928). At that time i listened a lot to Status Quo, Queen and Dire Straits (and still do). Played along to their tracks and helped me develop a sense of time and how to play. Back then i was also into Nickleback (i know, the horror) and ventured into punk and melodic metal. But after i heard a couple of DT songs i was hooked on how different it sounded and how Mike Portnoy played the drums, especially double bass and odd-times. Opened a whole new world for me and introduced me to other drummers like Virgil Donati, Marco Minneman, Mike Mangini, Terry Bozzio, Simon Phillips etc.

The 2nd real turning point was when i got the Methods and Mechanics 2 dvd from Todd Sucherman somewhere in 2011/2012. Made me re-evaluate my playing and also gave me more insight into 'playing the song', playing with more dynamics, ways to use different fills and how to make statements etc. I regularly watch his dvds just to soak up all the info. Also around that time really got into Benny Greb's playing (and still am) and made me aware on how much you can do with little. And also the importance of a solid groove. Having said that, i still like to have a big set ;)
Old 10-19-2018, 05:03 PM

‘68 I saw Hendrix(MMitchell) and Soft Machine(Robert Wyatt, drums) and could not get over the fact that each band only had one drummer! That did it for me-I had to get some drums!